PDA

View Full Version : Jean Terrell on PBS

test

luke
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I just watched the spectacular 70s Soul show on PBS from 2004. Just fantastic. I noticed former FLO Freddie Poole in the finale and saw that Jean Terell doing Stoned Love was listet but I guess its one the performances only on DVD. It can be ordered from PBS. Did anyone see her performance?

marv2
09-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I only saw a brief clip of it. The full performance was available only on the DVD.

carole cucumber
09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
It is track 21 of the 2nd dvd and is the last of 3 bonus tracks. Jean is backed by Freddie Poole & another singer whom I don't immediately recognize. [[Freddie is not mentioned in the end credits, nor likely the other singer). Jean's performance was good; naturally the pitch of her voice had lowered slightly. There is also a special feature-a very short [[1:26) portion of an interview with Jean. She makes no new revelations- she re-iterates her involvement in Ernie Terrell & the Heavyweights, Berry Gordy's visit to a performance and invitation for her to take Diana Ross' place in the Supremes. She is also asked what she believes makes for a good song.

johnny_raven
09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Marie Marsh was the other background singer. She and Freddie were in a group called "Wild Honey" with Vesta Williams in the 1970's. They backed Ron Townsend, who asked Jean Terrell to join the tour.

carole cucumber
09-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Johnny Raven,
Thanks for the information. I remember reading that Jean had also been invited to be part of the 5th Dimension after Marilyn & Billy left.

johnny_raven
09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Carole,

Thanks for that information. I did not know that. I suppose Jean didn't join the 5th Dimension because they were going to be signing contracts with Motown at the time.

JR

carole cucumber
09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Johnny,
Is Marie Marsh also known as Mary Flowers?
Freddie's website http://freddipoole.tripod.com/career.html gives me the impression that this might be the case.

johnny_raven
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Carole,

I believe they are the same person.

JR