PDA

View Full Version : Paperboy-the marvelettes

test

arrr&bee
09-15-2012, 05:39 PM
This[b-side]to[you're the one]is just too cute..since the name of the paper is the free press give me one and you can sell the rest...long live the marvelettes!!

robb_k
09-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I wonder what happened with that release. It was really The Marvelettes only 45 that wasn't played on the radio in Chicago [[that I can remember) during their "classic period". It wasn't really any worse than any of their others [[although sort of "run-of-the-mill). I wonder why it got no promotion and why nobody played it?

Any ideas? Anyone know the story behind it?

Of course, I bought that record, new, anyway. I used to ask the distributor for all the new Motown releases [[which I bought at 50 ¢ each [[as a favour)). I used to help carry LP boxes around for them at United Record Distributors. Sometimes they gave me a few new 45s for free.

Roger Polhill
09-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Well somebody must have played it Rob as it made #20 Soul and 48 pop.

robb_k
09-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Well somebody must have played it Rob as it made #20 Soul and 48 pop.
Those chart positions may have been based on sales from playing the flip, "You're The One". But I don't remember that being played more than a couple times.

daviddesper
09-16-2012, 12:32 AM
When I bought that 45 as a naive teenager, not knowing any better, I liked Paper Boy better and assumed it was the "hit side." But of course it was normal for me to like the B side better of Motown 45s. In fact in some cases I shake my head to this day about how one song could have been selected for the hit side over its much more appealing [[to me at least) B side.

arrr&bee
09-16-2012, 11:49 PM
It got no play in d.c.but i always play the b-sides.

nosey
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Don't remember that song at all.

randy_russi
09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
nosey, it was the B side to "You're The One", which followed "Don't Mess With Bill".
However, "Paper Boy" was a much older recording done perhaps in '62, but unreleased
until coupled with "You're The One".

nosey
09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Randy, no wonder I wasn't familiar with Paperboy. Didn't like Your're the One so I certainly didn't buy it in order to hear the flip side. I know I'm in the minority but I don't like Wanda's voice.