PDA

View Full Version : James Jamerson!

test

NewHampshireBoy
09-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone! I am a retired bassist and wanted to say how great James was and his influence on me! Like BB King, he could say more with 1 note than most folks can say with a hundred! Warmest wishes from the NH White Mountains!:cool:

StuBass1
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I hate it when people compare Jamerson to God. I mean he's real good...but he's no Jamerson ;)

Roger Polhill
09-14-2012, 09:13 PM
He is the reason I`m so into Motown.

daddyacey
09-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Ok , let's make this clear right now. Jamerson is ONE of the GODS of the BASS, not THE GOD of the Bass. There is no GOD of ALL BASS because music is an evolving art form in technique ,technology ,genre etc. Regardless of anything anybody may say or think ,,,,,,Jamerson IS a GOD............let's NOT .....get that twisted................

edafan
09-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Jamerson is GOD

edafan

Hulswood
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Amen to that..... :-)

Ok, seriously...Jamerson is not God, but the best [[and most creative) bass-player I ever heard....Home Cookin'....Fever in the funkhouse.....and all the typical Motown-hits like Bernadette etc.......the man is a genius......

daddyacey
10-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Jamerson and Babbit---------Gentleman Of Distinction----- GOD

Spelled backwards is DOG

Don Of Genre

NewHampshireBoy
11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Kustom should reintroduce that great sounding amp with the two fifteens! I was surprised to find out last year that it had a solid state head. James is the reason that among all the basses I own, I asked my wife to make sure that I get buried with my Fender P Bass!!!

ralpht
11-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Always good to hear someone's story. Thanks for posting.

midnightman
11-24-2012, 12:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qu_vCKJMuM

Bruh was funky as all get out mane...

Cosmic Truth
12-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Amen to that..... :-)

Ok, seriously...Jamerson is not God, but the best [[and most creative) bass-player I ever heard....Home Cookin'....Fever in the funkhouse.....and all the typical Motown-hits like Bernadette etc.......the man is a genius......

I don't know that track mate, who done it?

theboyfromxtown
12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't know that track mate, who done it?

James Jamerson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQA3O297uw

Cosmic Truth
12-03-2012, 12:11 PM
James Jamerson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQA3O297uw

Is this a James Jamerson track? or a track by another artist, that James played bass on?

theboyfromxtown
12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
The track is credited to James Jamerson.

westgrandboulevard
12-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Great sound.

It's going at a faster lick, but I hear elements of 'Home Cooking' in the basic rhythm track.

A Hank Crosby production?

Cosmic Truth
12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
The track is credited to James Jamerson.

Thanks for the info.

StuBass1
12-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Fever In The Funkhouse was part of a Motown experiment in part to keep Jamerson content. The project was a collaboration with Jamerson and guitarist Dennis Coffey primarily.

NewHampshireBoy
09-17-2013, 06:31 PM
No pop and slap needed! Funk gets no better than this!!

supremester
09-17-2013, 06:53 PM
During pre-RTL days, I was blasting DR&TS Ultimate Collection and pulled up to Burger King Drive Up. I get to the window and this 16 year old kid with acne and a pieced tongue looks at me and says, "James Jamerson..........!!!" I asked, "How do YOU know who James Jamerson is?" He replied, "He's God..........listen............." I think YKMHO was playing but might have been Love is Here or The Happening. Anyway, this kid was rocking out and liked the mixes [[his Supremes CD was the original #1's)

thomas96
09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Fever In The Funkhouse was part of a Motown experiment in part to keep Jamerson content. The project was a collaboration with Jamerson and guitarist Dennis Coffey primarily.

I'm sure it's Eddie Willis doing the riffs on "Fever In The Funkhouse."

LuvHangOva
09-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Ever so slightly off topic but I recently found out that Jamerson is the bassist on " You Don't Have To Be a Star[[To Be In My Show) by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. When I listened again I can pick out Jamerson's bass!! His playing is the force that keeps the song moving. The producer, Don Davis who also did some work for Motown said he knew he had to inject a Motown feel to make the record a hit, so he hired Jamerson for the track. NOW I know why I've always liked the song. On the bottom end Jamerson is kickin ASS!!!!

StuBass1
09-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes...Eddie did play the licks on FITF...

LuvHangOva
09-23-2013, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=LuvHangOva;190680]Ever so slightly off topic but I recently found out that Jamerson is the bassist on " You Don't Have To Be a Star[[To Be In My Show) by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. When I listened again I can pick out Jamerson's bass!! His playing is the force that keeps the song moving. The producer, Don Davis who also did some work for Motown said he knew he had to inject a Motown feel to make the record a hit, so he hired Jamerson for the track. NOW I know why I've always liked the song. On the bottom end Jamerson is kickin ASS!!!![/QUOTE

Just be sure whatever device u are listening to it on has a nice strong and clear bottom end/bass respionse. Both Marilyn and Billy have "mid rangy"..and to my not especially warm voices..... "brassy" might be a better descriptive word... So what tends to stand out is mid range almost whiny tones. Then there are very well done but very apparent violins and flutes and the like on the record. A kick ass set of headphones or studio monitors really shine the light
Jamerson's bass. Thats a shame cause all that brassy, mid range stuff over powers the bass line if you're just listening casually... But when u can hear it clearly it's some of James Jamerson's best work.

Ndugu
12-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Never thought of this before, but Jamerson's influence extends into the Heavy Metal realm as well. We just published an interview with Jason Newsted, who was Metallica's bassist for over a decade. He had this to say:

Anything with James Jamerson on bass, there's no way you could do any wrong with that, because those are the records that I wore the grooves out of first as a young man, like a lot of people of my generation. But definitely the Motown thing had a lot to do with inspiring me with the bass-dominated arrangements.

Here's the full interview:
http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/jason_newsted_ex-metallica_/

Motown4Ever518
12-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Never thought of this before, but Jamerson's influence extends into the Heavy Metal realm as well. We just published an interview with Jason Newsted, who was Metallica's bassist for over a decade. He had this to say:

Anything with James Jamerson on bass, there's no way you could do any wrong with that, because those are the records that I wore the grooves out of first as a young man, like a lot of people of my generation. But definitely the Motown thing had a lot to do with inspiring me with the bass-dominated arrangements.

Here's the full interview:
http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/jason_newsted_ex-metallica_/

The cats on the accompanying CD for SITSOM are very varied, but I if you are a student of your instrument, then you will check out those who came before you, if you are serious.