PDA

View Full Version : David Ruffin "Unreleased & More" back on Amazon US

test

booty
09-09-2012, 10:08 AM
More copies of the Hip-O release on David Ruffin have been discovered by Amazon US and are up for sale at $18.00 each with a release date of October 9th.

http://www.amazon.com/David-Unreleased-Lp-More-Ruffin/dp/B00975LCMO/ref=sr_1_26?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347199674&sr=1-26&keywords=david+ruffin

Kamasu_Jr
09-09-2012, 10:18 AM
It appears to be the same disc released by Hip O a few years ago which supposedly sold out. I don't know where my disc is. It's around my house somewhere.

carole cucumber
09-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure if more copies have again been discovered by Amazon U.S. This cd is also listed as an upcoming release on Import cd's. Perhaps the set is being re-done. It would be great to have the bonus tracks that were then previously unreleased mixed to stereo.

hwume
09-09-2012, 01:55 PM
You heard it here first: the album is coming back in print by popular demand - same album, same booklet, in a standard jewel case. The version in the digi-pak packaging remains sold out.

kenneth
09-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Although in a far different vein, I think after the Marvelettes sets the David Ruffin has got to be one of Hip-O's most important releases. It was stellar from start to finish. I'll be buying another copy or two. Just his version of "A Rainy Night in Georgia" alone makes it worth it.

nabob
09-09-2012, 05:42 PM
You heard it here first: the album is coming back in print by popular demand - same album, same booklet, in a standard jewel case. The version in the digi-pak packaging remains sold out.Thank you so much for the information about the release presented so succinctly. Maybe the rumors won't fly. We can always hope!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
09-09-2012, 05:56 PM
If they're bringing back out of print editions by popular demand, I'm hoping they'll do the same thing with Teena Marie's Wild And Peaceful CD.

jsmith
09-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Its £30 P&P paid to buy from Amazon UK but as it is not easy to buy the Hip-O releases here in the UK, it could still be a good buy.
BTW, it has risen in price on Amazon US [[to $21+).

booty
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
The UK price on Amazon will no doubt fall to under £10 before release, if previous releases are anything to go by.

MotownSteve
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
What I find strange is that while I can't find it on the Hip-Oselect site it is on Amazon US, UK, and Japan. All as a Hip-Oselect release. Also, in the US BestBuy has it listed at $14.99

copley
09-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Q. When is a limited edition not a limited edition?
A. When it’s a Hip-O release!
:mad:

tlg30
09-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Q. When is a limited edition not a limited edition?
A. When it’s a Hip-O release!
:mad:
I think it is great that they are re-releasing this for all the people who may have missed this release, or new fans of David Ruffin, hopefully they will re-release the Motown solo album CD sets again one day as well. Bravo to Hip-OSelect!

copley
09-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Really! . Would you feel the same way if you had bought a piece of jewellery, a print or pottery that came with a numbered limited edition certificate only to find that years later thousands more were for sale? UMe ultimately don’t give a dam about the 3500 who bought ‘David’ in good faith. The fact that 2000 more are now available in a jewel case instead of the original digipak doesn’t alter a thing as after all it’s what’s in the groove that counts. I won’t ever trust them again.

johnjeb
09-26-2012, 09:23 PM
My "David" CD is No. 0171 / 3500. [[I think this is the second time I've looked at that number since I bought it when it was released.)

I'm not bothered that they are releasing the "David" CD in a jewel case, especially since it's been out of print for a few years, and it's a great album. I've always thought that they should have released their CDs in two formats right from the start. The digipak should have included something just a little extra special that would not be available in the jewel case edition. Don't other companies release various versions of CDs on current artists these days?

And why trust Hip-O anyway? I never have! Once again I am waiting for a CD, past release date, without any communication from them. My credit card showed a pending transaction, now it has disappeared. This has happened before. But so many companies operate like this without any apology.

I don't think they are a big operation. I ordered a "Copa" for myself when it was released and a couple of weeks later ordered another as a gift for a friend and the order number was barely a 100 more than my order number. So that must mean in all of Hip-O there were less than 100 direct orders from their entire catalog for that two week period! Not very encouraging.

But their releases are top-notch. For that I'm grateful.

MrTopCat
10-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Really! . Would you feel the same way if you had bought a piece of jewellery, a print or pottery that came with a numbered limited edition certificate only to find that years later thousands more were for sale? UMe ultimately don’t give a dam about the 3500 who bought ‘David’ in good faith. The fact that 2000 more are now available in a jewel case instead of the original digipak doesn’t alter a thing as after all it’s what’s in the groove that counts. I won’t ever trust them again.

That's a very selfish way of thinking tbh. What about people like me, who'd just started collecting Motown music? Screw us, right? Let us pay the ridiculous eBay prices, right?

kenneth
10-06-2012, 12:27 PM
That's a very selfish way of thinking tbh. What about people like me, who'd just started collecting Motown music? Screw us, right? Let us pay the ridiculous eBay prices, right?

I bought the "first edition" of the Ruffin, and I have no issue with it coming out again. This happens all the time with so-called "limited edition" runs of lots of things. Anyway, the first numbered editions will still be more collectible than the latter runs which come out. But honestly, even if they weren't, to me it's all about the music and I'm glad more people can buy it and listen to it.

As kind of a parallel story, there was a Perry Como Christmas set that came out a few years ago on the Collector's Choice mail order label. It was a 3 CD set of all his Christmas recordings. It was only in print for a year and a few sellers now have it on Amazon for $200! Thankfully, the set is being reissued this year with a different cover and a different label, but otherwise exactly the same. So yes, the original might be worth more to some people, but unless you're a diehard fan, who would want to pay $200 to have the first edition? I sure won't.

As another example, I hadn't bought the "This is the Story" Supremes set when it came out and later regretted it. It was selling for very high prices on Ebay and Amazon. One of our fellow Soulful Detroiters was kind enough to sell me his extra set, and at the original list price! There was a great example of someone else who felt, and said it at the time, that it was all about the music. Even though I offered to pay him more for the set and would have still been happy to have it at a premium, he wouldn't allow it; he just wanted me to have it to enjoy.

MrTopCat
10-06-2012, 03:16 PM
I bought the "first edition" of the Ruffin, and I have no issue with it coming out again. This happens all the time with so-called "limited edition" runs of lots of things. Anyway, the first numbered editions will still be more collectible than the latter runs which come out. But honestly, even if they weren't, to me it's all about the music and I'm glad more people can buy it and listen to it.

As kind of a parallel story, there was a Perry Como Christmas set that came out a few years ago on the Collector's Choice mail order label. It was a 3 CD set of all his Christmas recordings. It was only in print for a year and a few sellers now have it on Amazon for $200! Thankfully, the set is being reissued this year with a different cover and a different label, but otherwise exactly the same. So yes, the original might be worth more to some people, but unless you're a diehard fan, who would want to pay $200 to have the first edition? I sure won't.

As another example, I hadn't bought the "This is the Story" Supremes set when it came out and later regretted it. It was selling for very high prices on Ebay and Amazon. One of our fellow Soulful Detroiters was kind enough to sell me his extra set, and at the original list price! There was a great example of someone else who felt, and said it at the time, that it was all about the music. Even though I offered to pay him more for the set and would have still been happy to have it at a premium, he wouldn't allow it; he just wanted me to have it to enjoy.

My thoughts exactly. Albums like this one should be available to more people. As you said, it's all about the music. And it's not like this "new edition" is exactly what the previous one was. We're not getting the digi - pack, only the jewel case. That doesn't bother me at all, cause I just want to have that album in my collection.

theboyfromxtown
10-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I have to say, it's a great album and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

Kamasu_Jr
10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I finally found my copy of David out in a box in my garage and blew the dust off of it. Isn't that awful? LOL

theboyfromxtown
10-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I finally found my copy of David out in a box in my garage and blew the dust off of it. Isn't that awful? LOL

Absolutely!

westgrandboulevard
10-07-2012, 01:01 PM
kamasu_Jr

It's good that there are more copies available, otherwise a few people who missed out last time might cheerfully lynch you for that remark! LOL

You're not alone. I suspect that a very high number of us excitedly look forward to releases, listen to them once or twice, then do let them sit, gathering dust.....

theboyfromxtown
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
I suspect the problem is that there are too many re-issues of stuff most of us already have and not enough new material. When these albums came out originally, we would play them over and over again.

I love it when someone new to it all comes along and gets excited. It reminds me of the happy times when it happened to me. I sure hope MrTopCat enjoys it like we all did.

Kamasu_Jr
10-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I suspect the problem is that there are too many re-issues of stuff most of us already have and not enough new material. When these albums came out originally, we would play them over and over again.

I love it when someone new to it all comes along and gets excited. It reminds me of the happy times when it happened to me. I sure hope MrTopCat enjoys it like we all did.

Exactly. When David was first released I listened to it several times. Then, as time went on, I moved on to something else. That's the problem there, I have so much music to listen to and only two ears and not enough time. But now that David is being re-released I will listen to it again.

MrTopCat
10-07-2012, 04:39 PM

What got me excited was the fact that I got to listen to some of the songs on YT/Spotify. I Can't Be Hurt Anymore and Rainy Night In Georgia were the 2 standout songs for me. Can't wait to buy the whole album and listen to it a few times.

@Kamasu_Jr - I know what you mean by "i have so much music to listen to and only two ears and not enough time" man. What I usually do when I buy a new CD is I rip it through iTunes so that I can listen to it at any time [[ cause I've got an iPod ). That's what happened when I bought the Tamla Motown: Big Hits And Hard To Find Classics box set some time ago. I still listen to most of the songs from the box set, cause I have them with me where ever I go. :)