PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours-edwin starr

test

arrr&bee
09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
A cool overlooked gem from the[25 miles]album is a killer,anyone else here think it's cool?

marv2
09-09-2012, 02:08 AM
A cool overlooked gem from the[25 miles]album is a killer,anyone else here think it's cool?

I'll have to listen to it. I have not listened to my "25 Miles" album in probably 25 years. I was hoping that one day if I get to retire, I would go back and listen to many of the album tracks I have owned for years.

snakepit
09-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Received plays in some "Northern" clubs ............popular track

soulwally
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM
It's cool all right... the Funks' backing track is around on a bootleg too. I'm Still A Struggling Man did really well in the USA and is another great track on the album.

snakepit
09-11-2012, 06:08 AM
I used to love "I'm still a struggling man".
I remember a Radio 1 show [[I think late Friday evenings) where several DJ's discussed new releases.
John Peel was on them.I remember it well. They featured "ISASM" as an album track...........I'm not sure who selected it........perhaps a producer. Peel was introducing ........nobody had any idea how to 'review' it at all..........it was not a stereo typical Soul 45......so no cliches about "good to dance to" .....No chart prospects...good or bad...
It was if they were saying "If you can't dance to it, what's the point?" "Why would Edwin Starr release an LP?". It was laughable.
My thoughts about Radio1 in general at that time.

soulwally
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
However, Larry... I recall If My Heart Could Tell the Story, also from the 25 Miles album, got a lot of plays by Tony Blackburn, but it never charted. Blackburn and Peel, of course, were miles apart. It started out as the flip to Way Over There, but I believe got repromoted as the A side, possibly as a result of Dean-Weatherspoon tunes being UK hits with Jimmy Ruffin.
As often when a subject comes up on here, it got me digging, and as a result the 25 Miles album was the backtrack to my train trip to work today. It's a patchy album, in truth, but it was good to hear the Originals in fine voice backing up Edwin on Struggling Man, If My Heart.. and others

snakepit
09-11-2012, 08:03 AM
High Soulwally
Yes I remember TB playing "IMHCTTS" as a flip A side very well.
Funny, I've just picked up a TB biography from a charity shop. The BBC/Radio 1 days are well covered. His love of Motown is too.......to some degree, I thought it might be in greater detail.
I reckon I owe a lot to TB.........his show was often the first intimation of groups/artists I was not familiar with.
I think my appreciation of Smokey was developed by his reaction to "Baby Baby Don't cry". I'm sure he played "More Love" years after it was issued.
Yet his book barely mentions Smokey.....

soulwally
09-11-2012, 06:21 PM
We were all asked, as guests, to pick a fitting tune to be played in the background during my niece's wedding reception earlier this year. I put the CD together from all the selections [[mainly recently hits)... and my pick was More Love.

snakepit
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
You couldn't pich a more relevant tune Soulwally.
I love "More Love" although I was surprised to learn it was a LA production. Shouldn't matter I guess...........but somehow it does:confused:

Kamasu_Jr
09-23-2012, 01:17 AM
There were other better songs on that album [[Twenty Five Miles), in my opinion. Edwin Starr was a dynamic live performer but his voice wasn't the smoothest . He was sometimes off key [[to my ears) and he had that vibrato thing like Eddie Murphy did in Trading Places when he was joke singing. I do like his version of Gonna Keep On Trying....

jaybs
09-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Never heard Edwin off key myself! No One have I ever seen perform live like Edwin did, he was just electric and carried you away with him, he always had young band members and hand selected them as they were so tight and you could tell into and enjoying the music they played.

I booked Edwin for quite a few concerts for the radio station I worked for and he was the nicest guy you could meet, one artist who was to follow him was stuck on the motorway and Edwin just came forward and said I will do another set save the people just sitting there and he did! I said I will try and get some extra money for you, his reply was No we enjoyed it so much. Miss Edwin so much!

snakepit
09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Regarding "25 Miles" Lp, I could never understand why "Soul City" was not a bigger record in the UK clubs [[Obviously the fact that it wasn't on 45 didn't help.........the NS scene was virtually 100% 45s in those days...but there were some exceptions). "Soul City" followed on from "Agent Double 00 Soul" and the much loved "Backstreet".
It was an obvious track to play, and has been overlooked by compilers since.