PDA

View Full Version : Scherrie and Susaye "Partners"

test

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I have recently rediscovered this gem. IMO it was WAY ahead of it's time. I am truly LOVING "I Found Another Love" [[why wasn't this released as a single?) and "Another Life From Now". Scherrie works the HELL out of "ALFM"; at times, I swear I am listening to Jennifer Holiday. Very "I Am Love"-esque.

Anyway, to my questions:

Does anyone know who the male voice is on "Another Life From Now"? [[forgive me if this has been answered before).

Also: being as Joyce Wilson lent her vocals to some of the songs, were these recording done when Joyce was in consideration to replace Mary Wilson?

Lastly: does anyone have any further information on Kathy Collier or Vennette Gould or Carmen Twillie, the three other ladies that lent their vocals to this album? Outside of Kathy and Venette working together on Tata Vega's "Full Speed Ahead" album, Kathy working on a Jennifer Batten album, and Vennette working on an Elton John album, it looks like Carmen has had the most success, as a singer and actress.

Kamasu_Jr
09-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I have recently rediscovered this gem. IMO it was WAY ahead of it's time. I am truly LOVING "I Found Another Love" [[why wasn't this released as a single?) and "Another Life From Now". Scherrie works the HELL out of "ALFM"; at times, I swear I am listening to Jennifer Holiday. Very "I Am Love"-esque.

Anyway, to my questions:

Does anyone know who the male voice is on "Another Life From Now"? [[forgive me if this has been answered before).

Also: being as Joyce Wilson lent her vocals to some of the songs, were these recording done when Joyce was in consideration to replace Mary Wilson?

Lastly: does anyone have any further information on Kathy Collier or Vennette Gould or Carmen Twillie, the three other ladies that lent their vocals to this album? Outside of Kathy and Venette working together on Tata Vega's "Full Speed Ahead" album, Kathy working on a Jennifer Batten album, and Vennette working on an Elton John album, it looks like Carmen has had the most success, as a singer and actress.

I too always thought this LP was years ahead of its time. I believe I read, the male voice on Another Life was Eugene McDaniels. But I'm not really sure. It's been a long time. Joyce Vincent's contributions were done after Dawn and Tony Orlando had disbanded. But I think she had already been considered as Mary Wilson's replacement by the time the Partners sessions took place. Maybe Susaye Greene can clarify. I also agree Carmen Twillie's name is more familiar as a session singer. I hope this album gets reissued, if not by Universal/ Motown, then by SoulMusic.com, which seems to like these kinds of lost gems.

masterblaster
09-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Would be grate if this got a CD release. I remember hearing some of the tracks when the album was first released in the UK but never purchased it.

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks Kamasu and master.

Of all things, I found a CASSETTE tape of this over the weekend ; .49 at the Goodwill. Best .49 I've spent in a long time.

I wonder if this had come out a few years later, when the Mary Jane Girls and Klymaxx were hitting, if this album wouldn't have hit also.

It's hard to dispute the talents of Scherrie and Susaye. The material was there; is it the "same old song" of lack of promotion? Make one wonder: if this would reached it's fullest potential, would there have been a "Partners II"?

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I too always thought this LP was years ahead of its time. I believe I read, the male voice on Another Life was Eugene McDaniels. But I'm not really sure. It's been a long time. Joyce Vincent's contributions were done after Dawn and Tony Orlando had disbanded. But I think she had already been considered as Mary Wilson's replacement by the time the Partners sessions took place. Maybe Susaye Greene can clarify. I also agree Carmen Twillie's name is more familiar as a session singer. I hope this album gets reissued, if not be Motown, then by SoulMusic.com, which seems to like these kinds of lost gems.

I wonder if this is the same [[Eu)Gene McDaniels. Looks as though he passed last year.....

http://genemcdaniels.com/

skooldem1
09-06-2012, 11:40 AM
It is always so easy to blame things on lack of promotion. I'd be curious to know how many female duos have had commercial success in the record business [[Heart comes to mind). What is the track record? Also, was it a good idea to market basically what was left of the Supremes as just a duo? There was barely any interest in the last lineup. Why would Motown believe that there would be interest in this project- instead of getting behind these talented ladies as individual, solo artist.

jobeterob
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Timing is critical in the music industry; you need the right sound and the right look at the right time. When you don't have it all together at the right moment, it won't happen.

There are many talented people around and all the promotion in the world won't result in very many of them turning into Justin Bieber.

The common fall back is there was no promotion, poor management, egos, drugs, abusive partners.

But when the talent, the timing, the sound isn't all there at the right time.........you end up where most of the world ends up..........you tried and you didn't hit the big time, but it was fun trying.

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 02:09 PM
It is always so easy to blame things on lack of promotion. I'd be curious to know how many female duos have had commercial success in the record business [[Heart comes to mind). What is the track record? Also, was it a good idea to market basically what was left of the Supremes as just a duo? There was barely any interest in the last lineup. Why would Motown believe that there would be interest in this project- instead of getting behind these talented ladies as individual, solo artist.

You're probably right, but I do question: WAS there any promotion by Motown? I know Scherrie and Susaye performed as a duo on Merv, but other than that? Was the LP reviewed in Rolling Stone? Any ads in Cashbox or Billboard [[or whatever 'zines were around at the time)? Did Scherrie and Susaye perform in concert? [[How I'd love to see that.....even now!)

As far as famous female duos, off the top of my head, I came up with the Judds. I did have to cheat and did a little Google search and also came up with a Taste of Honey.

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Regardless, I think it's an amazing release, worthy of a re-issue. IMO it certainly is another chapter in "the story".

jobeterob
09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Maybe Susaye will give us the story.

But I believe it was always said there was a change of heart about issuing this album. I'm sure there was no Rolling Stone review and I don't recall any ads in the trades.

johnny_raven
09-06-2012, 03:26 PM
As far as famous female duos, off the top of my head, I came up with the Judds. I did have to cheat and did a little Google search and also came up with a Taste of Honey.

Don't forget about The Weather Girls [[aka Two Tons Of Fun)

dba
09-06-2012, 04:32 PM
When Partners was released, J & R Music placed it right in the front of the store with all the other best selling albums of the day. I thought I was going to have to look in some obscure bin for it at the store and remember being pleasantly surprised to see it so prominently displayed.
A few months later I was in San Francisco and Scherrie was playing an afternoon Sunday tea dance at the Troc and she did some of the songs from the LP sung live to backing instrumental tracks.

Kamasu_Jr
09-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I had to ask my source [[Good ol' Motown Fan) about Partners. He says there was promotion done by Motown in the form of ads placed in national magazines. There were reviews [[mostly raves) in several magazines, SOUL being one of them. It was nationally distributed at the time. There were articles in Sepia and Blues & Soul magazines. Motown Fan still has the article from Blues & Soul. Lots of promo copies were mailed to radio stations and record stores. Motown Fan bought his promo copy from a record store. He was surprised to hear "Leaving Me Was the Best Thing..".played on a small radio station in Farrell, PA.. Scherrie & Susaye didn't do a lot of TV shows, but the record was promoted.

marv2
09-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks Kamasu and master.

Of all things, I found a CASSETTE tape of this over the weekend ; .49 at the Goodwill. Best .49 I've spent in a long time.

I wonder if this had come out a few years later, when the Mary Jane Girls and Klymaxx were hitting, if this album wouldn't have hit also.

It's hard to dispute the talents of Scherrie and Susaye. The material was there; is it the "same old song" of lack of promotion? Make one wonder: if this would reached it's fullest potential, would there have been a "Partners II"?

There was a total lack of promotion AND distribution with distribution being a big factor in my opinion. You could not find that album anywhere in my area [[Detroit Metro) at the time of it's release. I found a sealed copy of it later but I can't remember where now.

marv2
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I wonder if this is the same [[Eu)Gene McDaniels. Looks as though he passed last year.....

http://genemcdaniels.com/

Yes the Gene Daniels that was famous for the hit, "A 100 Pounds of Clay" from '61.

marv2
09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
You're probably right, but I do question: WAS there any promotion by Motown? I know Scherrie and Susaye performed as a duo on Merv, but other than that? Was the LP reviewed in Rolling Stone? Any ads in Cashbox or Billboard [[or whatever 'zines were around at the time)? Did Scherrie and Susaye perform in concert? [[How I'd love to see that.....even now!)

Motown did not promote that album in any identifiable way that I remember. Scherrie and Susaye performed at least one of the songs "Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done" on the Mike Douglas Show [[incidentially, Mary Wilson had debuted her single "Red Hot" on the same program in the Fall of 1979.). The album was reviewed in the Michigan Chronicle and the Black Collegiate Magazine as I recall. There were no concerts to my knowledge. Female duos? Mel & Kim come to mind and Salt & Pepa although Spinderella may take issue with that! LOL!

marv2
09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Don't forget about The Weather Girls [[aka Two Tons Of Fun)

or Zhane! The were pretty popular in the mid-90's and also on Motown.

smark21
09-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Though not a pop or r & b act, the Indigo Girls are another female duo with a long lasting career.

marv2
09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Though not a pop or r & b act, the Indigo Girls are another female duo with a long lasting career.

They were very popular too and had a good following.

MIKEW-UK
09-07-2012, 03:45 AM
MARY MARY

Heaven [[ Want ADs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLk7zsYJAk

Shackles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7eZD3TKn_M

In The Morning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXS7Tlwtdg

masterblaster
09-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Wikipedia suggests "Partners" was planned as a Supremes release with Joyce Vincent -Wilson as a candidate to replace Mary Wilson. When this didn't happen perhaps Motown decided that the album was still worthy of release by the duo [[although Joyce was used for backing vocals). I remember a promotional interview with both Scherrie and Susaye in Blues and Soul at the time.

masterblaster
09-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Wikipedia suggests "Partners" was planned as a Supremes release with Joyce Vincent -Wilson as a candidate to replace Mary Wilson.
Furthermore, If this is the case then it should be re-released to compliment the reissue of the two box sets i.e "This is the Story" and "Let Yourself Go".

Kamasu_Jr
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Wikipedia suggests "Partners" was planned as a Supremes release with Joyce Vincent -Wilson as a candidate to replace Mary Wilson. When this didn't happen perhaps Motown decided that the album was still worthy of release by the duo [[although Joyce was used for backing vocals). I remember a promotional interview with both Scherrie and Susaye in Blues and Soul at the time.

Good information MasterBlaster: I took a look at the promotional interview with S&S from Blues & Soul. There was a picture too. There was some promotion done for the record. What record company [[a business) like Motown would spend money on making a record and not promote it? It doesn't make sense. I've seen 12 inch singles for Leaving Me...and 7 inch promo copies of the same record. These were obviously intended for radio DJ and dance club promotion.
My dad did not live in a major city in 1979 but he had no trouble finding Partners. He bought a promotional copy for less than a buck. And he said the record store owner [[it was a small, independent shop) was not sure about Partners and didn't know if it would sell. But he did order a few more copies just because my dad bought the promo and told him who Scherrie & Susaye were. All of those copies sold because my dad checked. I read somewhere that Partners allegedly sold between 50,000 and 60,000 copies even with "limited" promotion. If true, that's still a lot of records. Still Partners did end up in the cut-out bins and my dad bought more copies.

jobeterob
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
There were rumours that it sold 5 or 6 times more than that as well.

Partners probably got caught up in the time when Mary Wilson went to Diana about the Supremes and Diana agreed that if there were no original members in the group, it should be allowed to die and Berry let it die [[a huge mistake for the remaining Supremes). Then Partners went from being a Supremes release to Susaye and Scherrie with little interest remaining in the remnants of the Supremes.

There really was LITTLE interest. The Supremes At Their Best and Mary Scherrie and Susaye did not chart on the Top 200 album chart. You couldn't even find At Their Best in Canada; I had to "special order" it.

It was one of those instances where you might have had a good album, but this wasn't Where Did Our Love Go in early 1964; the timing wouldn't work. This was around the time when the Supremes got boo'ed at Madison Square Garden for singing "new" songs when the crowd wanted the old songs.

luke
09-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I read a very negative review somewhere-either Rolling Stone or some album compilation book. I trust their disco song they did on tv wasnt representative of the whole album which I havent heard.

marv2
09-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Partners probably got caught up in the time when Mary Wilson went to Diana about the Supremes and Diana agreed that if there were no original members in the group, it should be allowed to die and Berry let it die [[a huge mistake for the remaining Supremes). Then Partners went from being a Supremes release to Susaye and Scherrie with little interest remaining in the remnants of the Supremes.

There really was LITTLE interest. The Supremes At Their Best and Mary Scherrie and Susaye did not chart on the Top 200 album chart. You couldn't even find At Their Best in Canada; I had to "special order" it.

It was one of those instances where you might have had a good album, but this wasn't Where Did Our Love Go in early 1964; the timing wouldn't work. This was around the time when the Supremes got boo'ed at Madison Square Garden for singing "new" songs when the crowd wanted the old songs.

I bought "The Supremes At Their Best" and Jean Terrell's " I Had to Fall In Love" at the same time in September 1978 at Peaches Record Store in Denver Colorado. They had a huge quantity of both albums. With the release of "At Their Best" a few stations played "Up the Ladder to the Roof" .

marv2
09-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Oh and according to Scherrie Payne, Diana Ross had the Supremes retired on her own without any input from Mary Wilson. Just keeping the facts together here.

luke
09-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I had never heard til these posts that Partners was to be a Supremes release. Has Susaye said so?

marv2
09-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I had never heard til these posts that Partners was to be a Supremes release. Has Susaye said so?

I've never heard that before either. Although, I liked "Luv Bug" the duet of Ray Charles and Susaye Greene, the album was just not commercial sounding in my opinion. It got NO airplay in Detroit and I have never heard any of the songs on radio anywhere else. I found out about the album and it's release from Carl Feuerbacher. I found one sealed copy in a store about a year after it's release.

jeff9nyc
09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I too always thought this LP was years ahead of its time. I believe I read, the male voice on Another Life was Eugene McDaniels. But I'm not really sure. It's been a long time. Joyce Vincent's contributions were done after Dawn and Tony Orlando had disbanded. But I think she had already been considered as Mary Wilson's replacement by the time the Partners sessions took place. Maybe Susaye Greene can clarify. I also agree Carmen Twillie's name is more familiar as a session singer. I hope this album gets reissued, if not by Universal/ Motown, then by SoulMusic.com, which seems to like these kinds of lost gems.

It was Gene McDaniels.

luke
09-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Me too-At Their Best right in record stores in my area, as well as Jean's which I have somewhere.

thommg
09-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Partners was not promoted in the Washington DC area at all. In fact, I couldn't find a copy of it until 4 months after it had been released and that was in a Georgetown record store that I just happened upon. I believe Susaye has stated before that the project was NOT a Supremes project but perhaps she will weigh in on this issue. I love this album and would buy a cd version in a hot minute.

marv2
09-09-2012, 01:57 AM

You are wrong,wrong, wrong! The success or lack of for the album "Partners" released in late 1979 had nothing whatsoever to do with the Supremes being boo'ed at MSG in March of 1977! What you should consider is this:

During the time that the Supremes disbanded in June of 1977 and 1979 when Scherrie & Susaye released "Partners", Motown had signed and released material on a number of new acts to the label. These acts would include:

Rick James
High Inergy
Switch
Teena Marie
Bonnie Pointer

Each of these acts/artists scored hits during the time between when the Supremes disbanded and "Partners". Motown has always had a policy of promoting acts that had hit records [[ironically to have hit records you need adequate promotion!). These factors played into why there was not a decent marketing campaign behind "Partners".

tamlaUK
09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
This wonderful album deserves the Hipo Select Expanded treatment.
I believe there are sufficient out-takes and recordings from that time line to warrant a second disc.

Slow dance
Special Love
We'll Get By
Fantasy
Fly
When I Looked At Your Face.

Hopefully Susaye can shed some light on these sessions and ofd any put-takes

captainjames
09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Scherrie and Susaye did a fantastic job of not only recording this material but as writers as well. I remember hoping "I Found Another Love" would be released and extended. This song did get played in the clubs but, I don't think I ever heard it once on the radio. It was one of those hidden gems. Susaye and Scherrie was some bad*+)+ss singers together and compliment each other on song. "Love Bug " was a different song to listen to but, a great album filler and the wine and cheese kind of mix. Motown messed up letting these two slip through their hands, there was a WHOLE LOT of talent here. Joyce would have been good but I think S & S could have done it as a duo.

marybrewster
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Over a week and I am STILL LOVING "I Found Another Love". How this slipped through the cracks is beyond me.

Kamasu_Jr
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
As I said before, I'd like to see Partners re-issued on David Nathan's SoulMusic label, but I'm afraid Universal/Motown is going to realize what a gem it's sitting on and not license it and continue to sit on it.

masterblaster
09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=tamlaUK;122909]I believe there are sufficient out-takes and recordings from that time line to warrant a second disc.

Slow dance
Special Love
We'll Get By
Fantasy
Fly
When I Looked At Your Face./QUOTE]

I seem to recall "Fly" released as a single in the UK. If so, strange that a non-album track was given a single release. Would love to hear this and the complete album.

johnny_raven
09-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Fly & When I Looked At Your Face were on the Soundtrack to "Moi, Fleure Bleue". The LP version of Fly is a minute longer than the single and there are two versions of WILAYF ... one with Scherrie and the other with Jodie Foster.

johnny_raven
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Oops, I forgot ... The soundtrack also has an instrumental of WILAYF, so 3 versions altogether.

marybrewster
09-25-2013, 10:00 AM
As a reminder, this album is set to be released November 26, 2013.

It's available for pre-order on Amazon, listed at $21.68. I'm going to shop around on this one [[I'd guess Amazon's price will drop a little closer to the release date.....); if anyone happens to find a bit more inexpensive, please post? Regardless, I'll be picking up for my collection. A must-have for so many reasons!

http://www.amazon.com/Partners-Scherrie-Susaye/dp/B00DY9X0HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380117471&sr=8-1&keywords=scherrie+susaye

kenneth
09-25-2013, 10:59 AM
I played the album recently. In fact, I found a nice copy of it so bought a second copy of it. I like the album but think it suffers a bit from having nothing but original material. I think on a "Supremes" type LP, it was always good to hear their versions of already well known songs. I think too the material is a little too "safe," to me there are no truly standout tracks. But the two girls sound wonderful and the album had beautiful production. It's worth another listen, absolutely.

Would make a great Hip-O expanded set along with an expanded version of "Mary Wilson."

jobeterob
09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
I played the album recently. In fact, I found a nice copy of it so bought a second copy of it. I like the album but think it suffers a bit from having nothing but original material. I think on a "Supremes" type LP, it was always good to hear their versions of already well known songs. I think too the material is a little too "safe," to me there are no truly standout tracks. But the two girls sound wonderful and the album had beautiful production. It's worth another listen, absolutely.

Would make a great Hip-O expanded set along with an expanded version of "Mary Wilson."

This is a good idea but I don't think it would fit in any realistic Universal Hip O plans right now. It appears they are struggling to continue with the release of any classic, hit albums etc.

We need to support them in whatever they release.

I think it has been mentioned before, I I wonder what kind of expense there would be in putting a couple of albums like this together for an "online only" release on some label.

These types of albums that were not hits are "classic" to a certain group of fans.

blueskies
09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.dustygroove.com/search.php?s=++partners+scherrie+payne+and+susaye+ greene&x=16&y=3 No price listed, yet.

supremester
09-25-2013, 12:53 PM
I was very aware of Partners here in Portland. I saw ads - probably in Soul - and a few stores had a copy or two. I remember the ads because they looked like a couple to me and with that title.......... it was prominently promoted in SF and LA - I thought it was going to hit as it was mentioned a lot. I bought a DJ copy at some point. Supremes At Their Best appeared as a single copy at Tower Records and stayed a single copy at Tower Records. I thought it looked like some foreign telemarketing thing. Everywhere had a dog eared copy until it was scrapped. Terrible cover - just the worst I've ever seen - they deserved better.

carole cucumber
09-25-2013, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=marybrewster;191670]As a reminder, this album is set to be released November 26, 2013.

It's available for pre-order on Amazon, listed at $21.68. I'm going to shop around on this one [[I'd guess Amazon's price will drop a little closer to the release date.....); if anyone happens to find a bit more inexpensive, please post? ..........................

http://www.blowitoutahere.com/scherrie-payne-partners/4988005783226

blueskies
09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Blowitoutofhere for $13.76. That sounds pretty reasonable.

BayouMotownMan
09-25-2013, 03:11 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the assertions that Partners was promoted. I was a DJ in Louisiana and never even knew the album had been issued. We never got the album or single. The same with Mary, we got the lp and that's it. It seems these albums got some minimal, contractural promotion in selected markets where Motown felt there might be an audience.

As far as reviews, the only one I read was in Billboard and they called the lp uneven. It was mostly an album of solo performances rather than duets which made it confusing. It wasn't a true duet lp from start to finish. Suzanne dePasse, when confronted by concerned fans, proclaimed "those ladies need to find a sound." I never heard any of theirs or Mary's stuff on the radio. Mary did do a lot more promotion, appearing on Dinah, Merv and other local shows, but nothing national. All Scherrie and Su did to my knowledge was a Mike Douglas. Motown was in pretty bad condition in 1979 and were swimming in red ink. They just didn't have the budget to give these albums a big push. They were concentrating on the Commodores, Diana, Stevie and breaking out with Billy Preston & Syreeta. Tons of new artists were signed, released product that went nowhere which did nothing to expand Motown's diversity or spur record sales. Rick James, High Inergy and Switch had done well in prior years but now were languishing. Only Rick made a comeback

marybrewster
10-29-2013, 10:25 PM
This release is just around the corner!

Where have you all ordered from? Best price?

vgalindo
10-29-2013, 11:47 PM
There was a total lack of promotion AND distribution with distribution being a big factor in my opinion. You could not find that album anywhere in my area [[Detroit Metro) at the time of it's release. I found a sealed copy of it later but I can't remember where now.
At the time of release in my city in CA. It was displayed very well at the local Tower of Records and Record Factory with all the new current hit albums. I bought it the day it was released.

thommg
10-30-2013, 01:48 PM
The LP was not promoted at all in the Washington DC area. In fact, I didn't even know of its existence until 4 months after the album was released. I came across it in a record store in Georgetown, buried in the "S" section - and it was the only copy there.

Call me crazy, but the thing I liked about the LP was the mix of solo and duo performances. For my money, there isn't a bad track on the entire LP. I still think Storybook Romance could have been a hit. I'm looking forward to finally having all of the tracks on cd.

dba
10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Interesting because I remember walking into J & R Music on Park Row in NYC and it was displayed right in the front with all the new albums.
But that could have been the taste of the record buyer for the store.

marybrewster
11-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Amazon [[US) currently has this listed for $21.74.

marybrewster
11-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Still listed on Amazon [[US) for $21.74. This release is just around the corner. Has anyone pre-ordered? Has anyone found a better price? I can't tell you how exicted I am for this.

blueskies
11-15-2013, 08:05 PM
http://www.blowitoutahere.com/scherrie-payne-partners/4988005783226 $13.76

captainjames
11-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Instead of Scherrie and Susaye I always wanted to call this LP Sweet and Sexy. They could sing, write and produce. I am going to say this one more time ....."I Found Another Love" was the hidden gem on this LP.

kenneth
11-16-2013, 09:59 AM
BLowitouttahere always has great prices. I have to remember to browse their site more often to compare. Their "Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12B" is only $72.42 compared to Amazon's $97.05!

blueskies
11-16-2013, 10:06 AM
BLowitouttahere always has great prices. I have to remember to browse their site more often to compare. Their "Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12B" is only $72.42 compared to Amazon's $97.05! Yes, I've purchased from them for a long time. I buy a lot of classical music there....best prices and nice folks to deal with.

blueskies
11-20-2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=9ptv2pjz9f Good price!

thommg
11-22-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=9ptv2pjz9f Good price!

Ordered from Dusty Grooves but they sent me an e-mail saying they were sold out. I just pre-ordered from Blowitoutahere so I hope it gets through!

theboyfromxtown
11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
My copy arrived from CD Japan [[with some others)....and it was really cheap too. The packaging was wonderful too. I live in the UK.

marybrewster
11-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Dusty Groove has it listed as SOLD OUT!
Blowitoutahere has it listed as BACKORDERED.

I just ordered my copy from CDJapan. There are 5 left.

Good luck!

marybrewster
11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-75863

alanbill1074
11-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Had it on order from Amazon UK since August and now listed as out of stock. Very disappointing that ordering months in advance didn't secure a copy yet.

markdtiller
11-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Had it on order from Amazon UK since August and now listed as out of stock. Very disappointing that ordering months in advance didn't secure a copy yet.

Amazon UK release date is now 9th December.

blueskies
11-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Back in stock at Dusty Groove. $13.99

thanxal
11-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Thank you, blue skies! I've been checking daily and just snagged a copy. It sold out almost immediately last time.

blueskies
11-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Thank you, blue skies! I've been checking daily and just snagged a copy. It sold out almost immediately last time.

You bet, thanxal. I grabbed my copy this time, too!

thommg
11-30-2013, 02:52 AM
Blowitoutahere.com originally told me my order was backordered but I got an e-mail yesterday that it had shipped. Will be very happy when it arrives.

blueskies
11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow....Dusty Groove SOLD OUT again....after only one day....again.

skooldem1
11-30-2013, 09:57 PM
They probably only get a limited amount of CD's to sell. So they sell out fast. Anyone who wants a copy has to be quick.

captainjames
12-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Truly the S & S part of the The Supremes at their best. What more can I say ? I love these ladies and they are and what represented the essence of Supremacy.

marybrewster
12-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I received mine in the mail from CDJapan. Packaged well. In fact, no cracking whatsoever on the case, which is typically rare coming from the US, let alone Japan.

It's a pretty straight forward release; no bonus tracks, no extra photos. There are pages of liner notes, which, unfortunately, are in Japanese. The only translatable words are "Mary" "Scherrie" "Susaye" "Jean" Cindy" and "Supremes". I assume "Mary" is mentioned as this was Scherrie and Susaye's first release after the disbanding of the Supremes. "Jean" and "Cindy" are mentioned, in what I think is mention of the FLOs.

It's quite lengthy; I'd love to know what it says.

Regardless, this is one release worth getting. Finally available for the first time on CD and it seems to be selling out everywhere.

I'm so happy fans of Scherrie and Susaye [[myself included) can finally enjoy "Partners".

blueskies
12-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I got mine from Dusty Groove, yesterday. I hadn't heard it in years. Nice to have it back. I, too, wish I could read those liner notes. I don't remember what the LP liner notes said and if these were somehow different? Whatever, a worthwhile addition to anyone's Supremes collection.

thanxal
12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I I don't remember what the LP liner notes said and if these were somehow different?
Just lyrics. No inserts, although my LP is a promo copy so any inserts may have been omitted.

George Solomon
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Obviously, we had nothing to do with the release but I'm happy it's been reissued. I know some were disappointed that there were no extras. For the record, Harry offered bonus tracks, additional photos and new quotes by Scherrie and Susaye for this release but the company declined. I think it had to do with keeping the cost down...

dba
12-04-2013, 12:51 PM
George, this is very sad news as the bonus tracks and better notes is what this release deserved. I'll keep with my lp to CD burner copy I have now. Maybe some day???

marybrewster
12-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Obviously, we had nothing to do with the release but I'm happy it's been reissued. I know some were disappointed that there were no extras. For the record, Harry offered bonus tracks, additional photos and new quotes by Scherrie and Susaye for this release but the company declined. I think it had to do with keeping the cost down...

Thanks for the information, George. It's a shame this wasn't given a "proper" treatment. Seeing as this one is selling out so quickly, perhaps this was something Hip-O Select [[Motown/Universal ??) should have thought twice [[or thrice) about. It's the holiday season and everyone is chomping at the bit for something new, especially since the last "Supremes-related" release [[I believe) was October of 2012. But I suppose it's "coulda, shoulda, woulda". And yes, I know it's not always about the Supremes.....but it should be! :)

And I agree with you; I am happy it's been reissued. I wonder if there is any talk at Universal/Japan of releasing "Mary Wilson". Seems logical to me. Both "Partners" and Mary's solo debut make a great continuation/companion pieces to the "Let Yourself Go: Final Sessions" set from 2011. That is still one of my most favorite releases you have ever done. Have I ever thanked you for it? Well, thank you. xo

thanxal
12-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Both "Partners" and Mary's solo debut make a great continuation/companion pieces to the "Let Yourself Go: Final Sessions" set from 2011. Well, thank you. xo You know what would be really cool? A mini box set called "Let Me Go The Right Way": a collection of the first solo [[ish) album made by former members of the Supremes. I count five [[Flo's work with ABC, Diana Ross, Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson and Scherrie/Susaye). To my knowledge none of the other Supremes released a solo album. Bonus tracks could include Dancing Room by Cindy Birdsong. Didn't Lynda release a single or two as well?

johnny_raven
12-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Lynda had her own album as "Norma". 5 of the 6 tracks were Lynda. The 6th track was Norma Lewis. Those songs are on CD.

blueskies
12-04-2013, 06:34 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411EHKZ3PWL.jpg

Is this the Norma Lewis? I've heard about that for years about 1/2 being ?

johnny_raven
12-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, and that's the CD too!

smark21
12-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Why did Lynda rename herself Norma Lewis? It's not a very attractive name, rather frumpy actually and Lynda has never been frumpy.

blueskies
12-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I thought Norma Lewis was a British singer? Found this on the internet.
http://www.discomusic.com/forums/showthread.php/9318-Is-Norma-Lewis-A-Fake

sophisticated_soul
12-05-2013, 12:24 AM
$11.58

http://www.importcds.com/music/2635529/scherrie-susaye-partners

johnny_raven
12-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Lynda didn't change her name. Rather, she recorded the leads on all but one of the songs on the Norma album.

sophisticated_soul
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
$11.58

http://www.importcds.com/music/2635529/scherrie-susaye-partners

Ordered mine last night and it shipped today. $15.74 with tax and s&h.

markdtiller
12-05-2013, 07:15 PM
UK release date has now been delayed until 16th December. Not unusual with imports.

kenneth
12-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Lynda didn't change her name. Rather, she recorded the leads on all but one of the songs on the Norma album.

Why would Lynda record leads for someone else's album? I don't get it.

kenneth
12-06-2013, 03:07 AM
George, this is very sad news as the bonus tracks and better notes is what this release deserved. I'll keep with my lp to CD burner copy I have now. Maybe some day???

I would only buy this release if it had extras. Although I think the girls sound great, I think the album suffers from having only original material and no real duets. I played the LP lately and as I recall, it was all solo songs by either Sherrie or Susaye. I wanted to like it, especially after reading what some of the members here said in praise of the album, but to me it just isn't that memorable when all is said and done.

johnny_raven
12-06-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't think there was a Norma Lewis. I think 3 different people recorded as Norma Lewis. Lynda told me she was asked to tour and she said "no."

johnny_raven
12-06-2013, 03:09 AM
"Leaving me ..." was a duet.

kenneth
12-06-2013, 03:28 AM
@johnny_raven,

Thanks for the answers. I'm going to listen to the album again. Of course, you know how much I love Susaye's voice. "High Energy" and "Come Into My Life" are my two favorite post-Diane Supremes numbers. And I have her CDs and even a T-shirt, thanks to you!

blueskies
12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
http://www.dustygroove.com/search.php?s=Scherrie+Susaye Dusty Groove has sold out for the 3rd time! Can you imagine how it would have sold if they did have the added tracks and liner notes by Scherrie and Susaye!

Jimi LaLumia
12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Amazon is taking orders, that's where I'm getting my copy of "Partners" from..

marv2
12-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Why would Lynda record leads for someone else's album? I don't get it.

She [[and her sister) have a knack for assuming the identities of others..........

marv2
12-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I've had this album, "Partners" for something like 34 years and have only listen to it once! The only song I can now vaguely remember is "Luv Bug" the Ray Charles and Susaye Greene duet.

johnny_raven
12-06-2013, 08:00 PM
For anyone who has not seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjzhNEgj5YQ

kenneth
12-07-2013, 12:13 AM
For anyone who has not seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjzhNEgj5YQ

Wow, what a great clip! The girls look and sound great. Susaye's smile is irridescent and Scherrie is her usual gorgeous self. Nice find!

vgalindo
12-07-2013, 12:56 AM
I've had this album, "Partners" for something like 34 years and have only listen to it once! The only song I can now vaguely remember is "Luv Bug" the Ray Charles and Susaye Greene duet. Me too. It never did hit with me. I really wanted to love this album and bought it when if first came out. I don't even remember any of the songs. I did order it from CDJapan and will give it another listen when It arrives.

marybrewster
12-07-2013, 03:38 AM
"I Found Another Love" is also a duet and IMO, should have been released as a single.

AMAZING that Dusty Groove has sold out for the THIRD time! This clearly is selling better than anticipated. Can you imagine if Motown/Universal had done an Expanded Edition?

Hopefully Universal/Japan will continue the trend and release "Mary Wilson". As I mentioned above, these releases make wonderful "companion" pieces to the 70's sets.

milven
12-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Here is a wonderful clip of Scherrie Payne singing- "Another Life From Now" [[acapella) in her garden at her home in Los Angeles. After singing the song acapella, she is joined by her daughter and then shows some Supremes dance choreography. After that the song Another Life From Now from the Partners album is played. Very enjoyable video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0B8dHZDIn8

jack020
12-09-2013, 03:28 AM
For people in Europe: At Amazon FR you can order Partners through a seller for around 13 Euros!

carlo
12-28-2013, 10:41 AM
I got this release for Christmas...very bare bones packaging. Just a straight up jewel case with inserts. Didn't expect any different though. Great sound. Very happy to finally have this wonderful album on CD.

captainjames
12-29-2013, 01:37 AM
I have it just because its SCHERRIE and SUSAYE !!!!!

Ngroove
01-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Just got the CD today - YIPEEEEEE!!!!!! Yes, bare bones packaging - but the music is INCREDIBLE!!!! Honestly, I was another who long despaired that Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, two-thirds of the final and most beautiful incarnation of the Supremes in my opinion, as their album was unpromoted and shelved in Motown's part the first time around, would never receive the long-lasting, digital format, because that treatment was usually selected for acts that "people knows", right? Thank goodness for Japan, if not at home, to realize they are just underappreciated, they are still graceful, beautiful gems to those who listened to them in the first place, to those who supported its coming to CD, and to those who now could finally proudly say he/she holds it in his/her hands, to appreciate it once more. Thank you; now, if you don't mind, I'll be sassing along to "Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You've Ever Done" with the ladies!

smark21
08-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Bumping this thread as Partners is now available as a digital download over at Amazon. So if you didn't get the CD when it was re-issued and want instant gratification by buying and downloading now, here's your chance.

I finally got it this weekend and I really like it. No wonder it's a cult favorite among die hard Supremes fans. Fave songs: Storybook Romance, Another Life from Now, Leaving Me, In the Night and Your Sweet Love.

Lulu
08-04-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm glad it made it to digital. I wonder if any of the other Japanese only releases will?