PDA

View Full Version : New mary wells cd release

test

Kamasu_Jr
09-04-2012, 09:00 AM
At a time when most record companies are not releasing recordings by many artists from the 1960s, I've learned there will be one by Mary Wells titled The Complete 20th Century Recordings [[or Sessions) and Mary Wells Love Songs to the Beatles. Love Songs has been out of print for for a few years. The release is scheduled for October...no doubt to coincide with the forthcoming biography. Does anyone know what label or comapny is issuing this and if there will be any outtakes or previously unreleased songs?

reese
09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
According to Amazon, it is being released on 10/16/12 by a label called "Ais". No other details were given.

blueskies
09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear "Love Songs to the Beatles" is finally being released on CD. I may be the only one that liked that one.

carole cucumber
09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
From Soul Music Records:

October promises to be one the most important months in the history of SoulMusic Records with the release of [[5) amazing projects by artists who have all recorded for the world-renowned Motown label! In fact two of these classic albums come directly from the Motown catalogue itself – the much in-demand MoWest album by the internationally known songstress, THELMA HOUSTON featuring both the U.S. an...d U.K. versions alongside another four bonus tracks for a total of [[19) cuts from this soulful singer, appearing for the first time on CD; and “One To One,” the third album by the late SYREETA, the multI-talented singer-songwriter and former wife of Stevie Wonder, co-produced by Motown master Leon Ware. Also part of our Motown-themed October releases: a wonderful 2-CD set from the Motown pioneer MARY WELLS, who was the label’s first female hitmaker, focused on the recordings she made for 20th Century Records, including the never-before-on-CD album “Love Songs To The Beatles” and Mary’s debut album for the label as well as bonus tracks. Finally rounding out what is an exciting month for Motown fans: two albums by THE MIRACLES, both appearing on CD for the first time! Both recorded for Columbia Records and featuring Billy Griffin as lead singer, there’s “Love Crazy,” an expanded edition, and “Miracles,” such a rare LP that we don’t actually know if it was ever properly released outside of The Netherands! Miracles’ fans worldwide will be overjoyed that these two albums [[featuring three of the group’s original line up) will be finally available on CD.

Kamasu_Jr
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Gee, my music budget is going to be blown for October. There are a lot of CD releases coming that I want. Did anyone get any of the Japanese Motown reissues and can anyone honestly comment on the sound quality? There are two coming from the Temptations that I want, Sky's the Limit and All Directions.
Blueskies, my grandfather also liked Love Songs to the Beatles. It was the only work by her that he liked because he thought my dad idolized Mary a little too much. Thanks for the additional information, Reese and Carole. SoulMusic Records is David Nathan's reissue label. They do things right.

RossHolloway
09-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know any background on the Miracles albums? Especially the "Miracles" album?

carole cucumber
09-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Kamasu,
In researching further, it seems that the Thelma Houston set is no longer listed for this year.
Perhaps it has been pushed back until 2013.

carole cucumber
09-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know any background on the Miracles albums? Especially the "Miracles" album?

The second post- Motown Miracles' album was never released in the U.S. It saw limited release in Europe. I know someone who has a copy and he showed me his copy once. If I remember correctly, the cover featured a gold pyramid and a very pretty blue sky [[and possibly, the sun). The friend has since moved but I bet he still has the album as he kept everything that was rare or unusual.

carole cucumber
09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Kamasu Jr.,
Don't forget that Motown has a 2 cd Mary Wells Lost & Found planned for the fall/winter season. Harry Weinger talked about it on Nightflight last week.
There are 40 tracks including stereo versions of tracks that when first presented were previously unreleased mono tracks on collections such as Looking Back, Cellarful of Motown, etc; 4 previously unreleased Marvin Gaye-Mary Wells duets; 13 standards, some which would have likely appeared on the rumored Second Time Around album, for which no official paperwork has been found.
And a Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Complete Singles Collection is also in the works with Disc 3 comprised of approximately 20 additional MR&V lost & found tracks.

longtimefan
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Speaking of other Motown releases, does anyone have information about the dates for the expanded editions of BABY IT'S ME and I HEAR A SYMPHONY?

johnny_raven
09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Carole:

The Thelma Houston CD is listed on Amazon [[US) with a release date of Oct. 23, 2012 with the title MOWEST ALBUM.

JR

carole cucumber
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Carole:

The Thelma Houston CD is listed on Amazon [[US) with a release date of Oct. 23, 2012 with the title MOWEST ALBUM.

JR

Thanks for the info. When David Nathan posted again at Soul Music, he didn't list this title- so I was uncertain and thought that it had been delayed.
However he did announce recently that early 2013 would see an expanded edition of G.C. Cameron's "Love Songs & Other Tragedies".

Kamasu_Jr
09-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Kamasu Jr.,
Don't forget that Motown has a 2 cd Mary Wells Lost & Found planned for the fall/winter season. Harry Weinger talked about it on Nightflight last week.
There are 40 tracks including stereo versions of tracks that when first presented were previously unreleased mono tracks on collections such as Looking Back, Cellarful of Motown, etc; 4 previously unreleased Marvin Gaye-Mary Wells duets; 13 standards, some which would have likely appeared on the rumored Second Time Around album, for which no official paperwork has been found.
And a Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Complete Singles Collection is also in the works with Disc 3 comprised of approximately 20 additional MR&V lost & found tracks.

Thanks! I didn't know about either of these releases. I'm looking forward to both especially the Complete Singles by Martha & the Vandellas.

johnny_raven
09-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Carole:

I just checked Amazon again. TheThelma CD is being released as an import by AIS Records ... so it's not through SoulMusic, I guess

JR

carole cucumber
09-04-2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.importcds.com/Music/2499434/Thelma-Houston-Mowest-AlbumExpanded-Edition-CD

Very Confusing??

johnny_raven
09-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I took another look at AIS, and they will also be releasing the 2 Miracles CDs, so maybe it is Soul Music who will be releasing them. Then what is AIS?

daviddesper
09-05-2012, 12:47 AM
What are the chances for that Martha and the Vandellas collection being released yesterday??????????? That sounds like it will be awesome, especially since occasionally they would have a B side that would never make it on to an album. So there should be quite a few songs getting their first CD treatment. After the Lost and Found project, who would have thought there would be another 20 or so unreleased tracks by them? Bring 'em on!!!!!!!!

Calv1971
09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
What brilliant news about all these exciting new releases!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoever is compiling the Martha/Vandellas set, please PLEASE make sure that the version of "Never leave your baby's is the exact version that appeared on the b-side of "My baby loves me", this being 2 minutes plus of pure perfection!
Thanks to all who bring out these wonderful releases and "Keep 'em comin'"

mwmr
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Kamasu Jr.,

Wow!!! When is the Martha set due?? Where did you get that info from????

Kamasu_Jr
09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
What are the chances for that Martha and the Vandellas collection being released yesterday??????????? That sounds like it will be awesome, especially since occasionally they would have a B side that would never make it on to an album. So there should be quite a few songs getting their first CD treatment. After the Lost and Found project, who would have thought there would be another 20 or so unreleased tracks by them? Bring 'em on!!!!!!!!

After I thought about it, The Complete Motown Singles sets contained the A & B sides of Gordy singles by Martha and the Vandellas. I think the volumes of 1963 thru 1971 covers it. I have all of them already. The draw - for me - will be the disc of unreleased tracks. Will Harry and crew through in those Pepsi Cola jingles by Martha, Ros and Betty?

johnny_raven
09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Kamasu:

The Pepsi jingles were from 1968, so wouldn't it be Martha, Roz and Lois?

JR

motony
09-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Kamasu:

JR

The Pepsi jingles I remember by Martha & the Vandellas were like in '66..."Come Alive.....your in the pepsi generation."Had that Nowehere to Run, Wild One sound.

motony
09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Although Love Songs to the Beatles was not among Marys best produced/arrangedLP's, her vocals were stunning as usual. I look forward to the CD & esp. the actual Motown recordings mentioned above.

carole cucumber
09-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow!!! When is the Martha set due?? Where did you get that info from????

Harry Weinger in an internet radio interview on Nightflight [[Aug. 28, 2012) spoke of the Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Singles Collection that was forthcoming. He did not give a specific release date. Mr. Weinger is usually very reserved with information about upcoming sets, only making mention when something is nearing completion and likely to see release in a particular quarter of the year. He does not like to disappoint fans. Hence, a safe bet would be that it should be released before the end of the year.

Kamasu_Jr
09-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Kamasu:

JR

I've got the Pepsi jingle on a CD. There are no notes so I wasn't sure when it was recorded. I was guessing from the sound of it. It sounded like it might have been recorded during the Dance Party era.

tamlaUK
09-06-2012, 07:54 AM
It would be lovely to see a Mary Wells boxset of her Motown catalogue and live material from 1961 - 1964.

carole cucumber
09-06-2012, 10:20 AM
It would be lovely to see a Mary Wells boxset of her Motown catalogue and live material from 1961 - 1964.

It would be 'A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening' or two or three listening to Mary. Perhaps if Mary's Lost & Found sells well, Universal might be pointed in the direction of an album box set.

Kamasu_Jr
09-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Available for pre-order on Amazon.com.

Motown4Ever518
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Looking forward to this release, the downside and it is a nice downside to have, is that with so much product coming out, it is difficult to mange the precious resources, finances, as well as time. Again a nice problem to have with the plethora of product.

762rob
09-18-2012, 08:32 PM

TCF Albums on CD

762rob
09-18-2012, 09:44 PM

TCF Albums on CD

Disc 1: MARY WELLS plus bonus tracks
1. Never, Never Leave Me
2. He’s A Lover
3. Stop Takin’ Me For Granted
4. Use Your Head
5. We’re Just Two Of A Kind
6. My Mind’s Made Up
7. Why Don’t You Let Yourself Go
8. Everlovin’ Boy
9. Ain’t It The Truth
10. He’s Good Enough For Me
11. How Can I Forget Him
12. Time After Time

Bonus Tracks
13. Jive Guy
14. Me Without You
15. I’m Learnin’
16. I’m Sorry 2:14
17. Say What You Gotta Say
18. Memories Are Creepin’ Up On Me

Disc 2: LOVE SONGS TO THE BEATLES
1. He Loves You
2. All My Lovin’
3. Please Please Me
4. Do You Want To Know A Secret
5. Can’t Buy Me Love
6. I Should Have Known Better
7. Help
8. Eight Days A Week
9. And I Love Him
10. Ticket To Ride
11. Yesterday
12. I Saw Him Standing There

Kamasu_Jr
09-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I got all of those "Bonus" tracks, but I'm getting this anyway.

reese
09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I got all of those "Bonus" tracks, but I'm getting this anyway.

I have them, too. They were released on her Ichiban collection back in the 90s. But it will be good to have LOVE SONGS TO THE BEATLES, as my vinyl has severe surface noise.

superlou
10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I ordered my copy from Dusty Groove yesterday. It's on its way. This will hold me over until the Lost & Found set is released.

Kamasu_Jr
10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Love Songs to the Beatles was fun. I noticed Mary & the producers had the right idea with the big band and lush arrangements for Can't Buy Me Love and And I Love HIm. Ella Fitzgerald and Esther Phillips would also record those tunes with similar arrangements. It's a sophisticated sounding album that would not sound out of place on easy listening or nostalgia radio. Mary Wells' Beatles album is actually better than the Supremes A Bit of Liverpool - in my opinion.

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Received my copy today via importcds.com. The high quality that I have come to expect from soulmusic.com is evident here - excellent sound quality [[warm, not boosted or loud), informative 16 page booklet, etc., with each album on its’ own disc. Well worth the admission, and a total delight for this long time Mary Wells fan.
Credits:

Kamasu_Jr
10-13-2012, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=sophisticated_soul;127001]Received my copy today via importcds.com. The high quality that I have come to expect from soulmusic.com is evident here - excellent sound quality [[warm, not boosted or loud), informative 16 page booklet, etc., with each album on its’ own disc. Well worth the admission, and a total delight for this long time Mary Wells fan.

You said it! A must have for any die-hard Mary Wells fan. SoulMusic.com has some interesting releases coming. My copy of One to One by Syreeta has shipped.
Credits:

Kamasu_Jr
10-13-2012, 07:06 AM
I was wondering if Mary recorded And I Love Him before Esther Phillips recorded her version?

sophisticated_soul
10-13-2012, 12:39 PM
I was wondering if Mary recorded And I Love Him before Esther Phillips recorded her version?

Esther it would seem. According to the booklet that accompanies “The Best of Esther Phillips [[1962-1970)” recording sessions for the “And I Love Him” album were in New York City June, September and October of 1964 with Esther’s version of “And I Love Him” being the final recording on October 1, 1964, with the single [[Atlantic #2281) being released in March of 1965, charting on Billboard #54 Pop. "Love Songs to The Beatles" appears to have been recorded in August-September of 1965 and released in October of 1965.

762rob
10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Noticed that the "Mary Wells" Lp tracks are in mono as no stereo tapes could be located.

Played my stereo Lp copy last night and all the tracks EXCEPT "Time After Time" seem to be reprocessed "stereo" Time After Time is definitely true stereo, but that's the only one.

I guess the others were mono mastered only for single release.

All the cuts are great, it seems Motown's earlier notifications to radio that they were under litigation inhibited the radio play these cuts should have received. Excellent NYC based pop/soul tunes, some of the writers were recruited by Berry Gordy for Motown, Mickey Gentile, Ron Miller for example. So Berry obviously thought a lot of Mary's TCF album.

[QUOTE=sophisticated_soul;127001]Received my copy today via importcds.com. The high quality that I have come to expect from soulmusic.com is evident here - excellent sound quality [[warm, not boosted or loud), informative 16 page booklet, etc., with each album on its’ own disc. Well worth the admission, and a total delight for this long time Mary Wells fan.

You said it! A must have for any die-hard Mary Wells fan. SoulMusic.com has some interesting releases coming. My copy of One to One by Syreeta has shipped.
Credits:

kenneth
10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I have them, too. They were released on her Ichiban collection back in the 90s. But it will be good to have LOVE SONGS TO THE BEATLES, as my vinyl has severe surface noise.

I have found the sound quality on the new 2-CD set much, much better than the Ichiban release. I liked the material for the various Ichiban releases, such as for Wells, the Sweet Inspirations, and others, but always felt their mastering was substandard. I was also disappointed that on the Mary Wells "Dear Lover" set they failed to include the entire album, when adding 6 more tracks would have easily fit on the compilation CD.

I've enjoyed the Beatles songs much more than I remembered, maybe time away from hearing them has aged them well. I like the self titled album as well, but I don't think the material up to par with her Motown material, though I think 20th definitely tried to duplicate the Motown Sound on the arrangements. But whoever wrote the songs, they were just no Smokey Robinson.

762rob
10-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I have found the sound quality on the new 2-CD set much, much better than the Ichiban release. I liked the material for the various Ichiban releases, such as for Wells, the Sweet Inspirations, and others, but always felt their mastering was substandard. I was also disappointed that on the Mary Wells "Dear Lover" set they failed to include the entire album, when adding 6 more tracks would have easily fit on the compilation CD.

I've enjoyed the Beatles songs much more than I remembered, maybe time away from hearing them has aged them well. I like the self titled album as well, but I don't think the material up to par with her Motown material, though I think 20th definitely tried to duplicate the Motown Sound on the arrangements. But whoever wrote the songs, they were just no Smokey Robinson.

Smokey was great no doubt about it. It will be really interesting to hear all the vaulted tracks that will be out in early December.

The TCF album I have gotten to really like, Mary does a great job with the material. On repeated listenings it gets better and better. But it's definitely not Motown, more New York.

kenneth
10-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Smokey was great no doubt about it. It will be really interesting to hear all the vaulted tracks that will be out in early December.

The TCF album I have gotten to really like, Mary does a great job with the material. On repeated listenings it gets better and better. But it's definitely not Motown, more New York.

I agree; she's in fine voice throughout. I do find "Never in My Wildest Dreams" to be kind of a Smokey-esque track. To me it stands out more than most of the tracks. The album may grow on me, as you seem to have found.

I think her Jubilee albums brought out more in her. I really like that CD with the released and unreleased LPs on it.