PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming UNSUNG Productions

test

woodward
09-02-2012, 07:56 PM
A quick review of UNSUNG shows featuring Motown artists as follows:

Debarge; Florence Ballard; Teena Marie; Tammi Terrell; Spinners; Mary Wells; David Ruffin; and the Marvelettes.

Is anyone aware of any future Motown artists to be featured?

I would like to see a show on the Four Tops and Marv Johnson. Any other suggestions?

marv2
09-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Debarge; Florence Ballard; Teena Marie; Tammi Terrell; Spinners; Mary Wells; David Ruffin; and the Marvelettes.

I would like to see a show on the Four Tops and Marv Johnson. Any other suggestions?

The Four Tops are not Unsung. A retrospective documentary would better serve to tell their story.

How about one on Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers, Rare Earth and the Originals.

Jimi LaLumia
09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
******jean terrell*****

marv2
09-02-2012, 10:59 PM
******jean terrell*****

Jean Terrell of THE SUPREMES is not unsung......!

Roberta75
09-03-2012, 12:03 AM

Jean Terrell, Chris Clark, Rick James and Barbara Martin of the Supremes.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Ngroove
09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
To become recognized as Unsung, one had to have it all, as a former R&B, pop, some gospel, even rap [[although I don't watch that) star, for a series of successful enough songs, for a period of time, enough to be known as somewhat memorable to all who listens to them, yet never had the general mass recognition, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducted or candidate-worthy, or even easy to find in any CD section of a Wal-Mart, that their talents deserve.

In other words, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince, as well as the Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, Jackson Five, most likely Commodores & Earth, Wind, and Fire too, not apply. Although somehow, Sly Stone, George Clinton, Spinners, O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, Ray Parker Jr., Gerald Levert, and Freddie Jackson still did - but yeah, need a big name once in a while, to keep em' watching.

Motown names I could see apply Unsung treatment some day, in addition to all who already had one already; Junior Walker, Jimmy Ruffin, Thelma Houston, Dazz Band, Mary Jane Girls, Switch could had had more time, more than the two minutes they had in the DeBarge ep. Really wish to say Syreeta Wright, Willie Hutch, Leon Ware, High Inergy too, but they might be too "who?" a names to get watchers' [[i.e. ratings) interest; if anyone mentions "Velvelettes", they definitely are too much a "who?" too.

marv2
09-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Jean Terrell, Chris Clark, Rick James and Barbara Martin of the Supremes.

Roberta

Jean Terrell was the lead singer of the Supremes and it is impossible to classify her as unsung.

Chris Clark was never famous enough to warrant an hour show on her.

Rick James? Ah HA! The King of Punk Funk is hardly unsung

Barbara Martin of the Primettes/Supremes. So what are they suppose to use for material for her episode Roberta? There is no known video footage of her. What are they expected to do? Draw pictures of Barb in action on stage like they do in those courtroom drawings? Get outta Dodge! LOL!!!!!!

marv2
09-03-2012, 01:40 AM
To become recognized as Unsung, one had to have it all, as a former R&B, pop, some gospel, even rap [[although I don't watch that) star, for a series of successful enough songs, for a period of time, enough to be known as somewhat memorable to all who listens to them, yet never had the general mass recognition, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducted or candidate-worthy, or even easy to find in any CD section of a Wal-Mart, that their talents deserve.

In other words, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince, as well as the Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, Jackson Five, most likely Commodores & Earth, Wind, and Fire too, not apply. Although somehow, Sly Stone, George Clinton, Spinners, O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, Ray Parker Jr., Gerald Levert, and Freddie Jackson still did - but yeah, need a big name once in a while, to keep em' watching.

Motown names I could see apply Unsung treatment some day, in addition to all who already had one already; Junior Walker, Jimmy Ruffin, Thelma Houston, Dazz Band, Mary Jane Girls, Switch could had had more time, more than the two minutes they had in the DeBarge ep. Really wish to say Syreeta Wright, Willie Hutch, Leon Ware, High Inergy too, but they might be too "who?" a names to get watchers' [[i.e. ratings) interest; if anyone mentions "Velvelettes", they definitely are too much a "who?" too.

Good choices and great posting NGroove! Thank you for providing some sort of definition/guideline to those on here that just want to see their favorite artists on television and totally disregard the concept of the program "Unsung"!

nathanj06
09-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Then what about Mrs. Miller? After all she did make it to Sullivan.

marv2
09-04-2012, 10:30 PM

She use to be on the Mike Douglas Show often too as I recall. Didn't she record a version of "Downtown"?

milven
09-04-2012, 11:23 PM

OMG I forgot about her . Her "singing" was out of this world, which is exactly where it belonged. :D

She use to be on the Mike Douglas Show often too as I recall. Didn't she record a version of "Downtown"?

No , she didn't sing it. She Unsung it ;) So, I guess she qualifies for an episode. ;) Her talent was just as great as Tiny Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw07CDid0JM

jobeterob
09-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Mary Wilson............for all the struggles from 1970 forward. And why she is known as a Supreme, but not Mary Wilson.

daviddesper
09-05-2012, 12:41 AM
I am sure I am talking only to myself here since it will certainly never happen, but I would like to see Denise LaSalle featured on Unsung. I can't think of too many other artists who have released something like 30 albums over a roughly 40 year career, while writing most of their own material, and also having a lot of their songs covered by others. [[Example: Barbara Mandrell recorded Denise's "Married But Not to Each Other" because the southern soul feel of it worked well as a country song.)

marv2
09-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Mary Wilson............for all the struggles from 1970 forward. And why she is known as a Supreme, but not Mary Wilson.

Every one of Mary's paychecks say "Mary Wilson". Everyone that attends her concerts around the World do so to see and hear Mary Wilson......not the Supremes. You are one of a few disgruntled folks that would love to deny Mary of her SOLO accomplishments. She built her solo career without having to "do certain things......" LOL!!!!

marv2
09-05-2012, 01:25 AM
I am sure I am talking only to myself here since it will certainly never happen, but I would like to see Denise LaSalle featured on Unsung. I can't think of too many other artists who have released something like 30 albums over a roughly 40 year career, while writing most of their own material, and also having a lot of their songs covered by others. [[Example: Barbara Mandrell recorded Denise's "Married But Not to Each Other" because the southern soul feel of it worked well as a country song.)

Nope, you are not just talking to yourself, you are talking to me and thousands of her fans when you propose that they do an Unsung episode on the legendary Denise LaSalle! She is extremely talented, very well known amongst certain market segments, but not as known to Pop music fans. "Trapped By this Thing Called Love" still gets played at cabarets all over Michigan and Ohio!

REDHOT
09-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Syreeta,she was almost the lead singer of The Supremes,yes Syreeta IS UNSUNG.
Please stay positive

jazzy j
09-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Your wrong again Marv, she is known as Mary Wilson of the Supremes when performing a show thats the only way people knows her..

nathanj06
09-05-2012, 06:43 AM

She sure did record "Downtown" as I see posted now. I was joking of course but I did read somewhere years ago that she was well aware that they promoted her as a novelty act and she was brave enough to do it. Also that she was a very nice woman. :[[ She passed away in 1996 at 89 or 90.

She even has a website: http://www.mrsmillersworld.com/index.html

Ed Sullivan & Mrs. Miller

smark21
09-05-2012, 08:01 AM
How about Vanity?

marv2
09-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Your wrong again Marv, she is known as Mary Wilson of the Supremes when performing a show thats the only way people knows her..

Whenever I've seen Mary Wilson in concert here in New York, the posters and marquee reads "Mary Wilson"......no Supremes. The majority of videos of her on Youtube are titled - "Mary Wilson". So no, I am not wrong. Mary Wilson is known as Mary Wilson and yes she is of the Supremes. People know her as a singer!

Also, there are other noted women named "Mary Wilson", but when you Google the name "Mary Wilson" the first several results come back for Mary Wilson the singer and "of the Supremes" is not attached to her name. Go on, try it for yourself and you'll see.

marv2
09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
How about Vanity?

That is an excellent choice.

milven
09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Whenever I've seen Mary Wilson in concert here in New York, the posters and marquee reads "Mary Wilson"......no Supremes. The majority of videos of her on Youtube are titled - "Mary Wilson". So no, I am not wrong. Mary Wilson is known as Mary Wilson and yes she is of the Supremes. People know her as a singer!

I've seen her at Westbury Music Hall [[or whatever they're calling it this week :) ) and at B.B. Kings. She used various billings of the Supremes' name including:
THE SUPREMES starring Mary Wilson
THE SUPREMES' Mary WIlson

Even now, if you do a pollstar search of Mary Wilson to see where she is performing, it comes up Mary Wilson of the Supremes

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=35343&SearchBy=mary%20wilson

I'll be honest and say that I prefer hearing Diana sing the Supremes' hits. But I like Mary and go to her concerts too. It's fun to watch the part of the audience who goes in to hear Supremes' songs be won over by her when she does her own thing.

I don't think she needs the Supremes' billing anymore , but it may help her command a higher price. But whatever extra money she got from the billing, she spent in legal fees against the fake Supremes that she created , like Kaaren.

marv2
09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I've seen her at Westbury Music Hall [[or whatever they're calling it this week :) ) and at B.B. Kings. She used various billings of the Supremes' name including:
THE SUPREMES starring Mary Wilson
THE SUPREMES' Mary WIlson

Even now, if you do a pollstar search of Mary Wilson to see where she is performing, it comes up Mary Wilson of the Supremes

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=35343&SearchBy=mary%20wilson

I'll be honest and say that I prefer hearing Diana sing the Supremes' hits. But I like Mary and go to her concerts too. It's fun to watch the part of the audience who goes in to hear Supremes' songs be won over by her when she does her own thing.

I don't think she needs the Supremes' billing anymore , but it may help her command a higher price. But whatever extra money she got from the billing, she spent in legal fees against the fake Supremes that she created , like Kaaren.

Not me. When Mary was in concert at Webstbury [[aka NYCB Theater at Westbury) The theater marquee and concert poster outside simply reads "Mary Wilson" as the headliner and Temptations Revue as opening act when they are on the bill. When she was at Martha Clare's on the East End, it was simply "Mary Wilson". Anyway........we are off the subject thread. Thanks Jobeterob! LOL!!!

Ngroove
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Please stay positive

Sorry RedHot, as someone who mentioned her name as a request on UNSUNG months ago myself, I really, really love her music too, love her voice, and yes, I sincerely think it would be nice if UNSUNG raised the public's consciousness of her music, like "Spinnin and Spinnin'", "Your Kiss Is Sweet", "Harmour Love" and "Quick Slick", as well as co-creator of "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", "If You Really Love Me", and It's a Shame". Who knows, possibly exposure on television = demand for Syreeta CDs, for people to listen more.

But, well, the truth is, probably the people mostly knows her only for two things; Stevie Wonder's [[ex) wife for a little over a year, and "With You I'm Born Again", and that one was also with another prolific name, Billy Preston.

Most of her songs, are simply not even sizeable enough R&B chart hits; meaning, not even the show could boast of many of her "major", "top ten on the charts", and I'm not really sure how many people, would hear her name as an Unsung, with their fond memories of "groovin'" to her music and interests instantly piqued, enough to tune in TVONE that Monday nite at 10, to watch an entire hour focused on her.

milven
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Not me. When Mary was in concert at Webstbury [[aka NYCB Theater at Westbury) The theater marquee and concert poster outside simply reads "Mary Wilson" as the headliner and Temptations Revue as opening act when they are on the bill. When she was at Martha Clare's on the East End, it was simply "Mary Wilson". Anyway........we are off the subject thread. Thanks Jobeterob! LOL!!!

You are right. We are off topic. But one last question off topic. What was she billed as when you saw her at B.B. Kings? And the Pollstar billing mentioned above? I notice that Sherrie is now billing herself as Sherrie Payne of the Supremes and Mary has a new billing

OCT 2012

MARY WILSON: THE SUPREME Oct 26
Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts
Cerritos, CA

And now, back to our topic

marv2
09-05-2012, 11:34 AM
You are right. We are off topic. But one last question off topic. What was she billed as when you saw her at B.B. Kings? And the Pollstar billing mentioned above? I notice that Sherrie is now billing herself as Sherrie Payne of the Supremes and Mary has a new billing

OCT 2012

Cerritos, CA

I don't really remember because I, Dionne Warwick, Freddie Jackson, Maxine Brown and everyone else in the room were there to see Mary Wilson.

milven
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah ! I went to see Mary Wilson too! That's why walking under that marquee with the Supremes name remains so vivid in my mind. The last time I was there, there was some kind of ticket mix- up and we were able to stay for the second show for free. When we saw her, La La Brooks was in the audience. It's okay if you don't remember. That happens to us as we get older :D. Speaking of which , you'll be celebrating another one next week. Enjoy ! ;)

milven
09-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Back on topic, I watched the Heat Wave and Melba Moore Unsung Episodes this week. My opinion is to be an unsung, you have to have a good career and then lose it all because of bad decisions, bad management, timing, health, accidents, drugs etc. By those standards , I'd like to see one on Teddy Pendergrass.

Ngroove
09-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Back on topic, I watched the Heat Wave and Melba Moore Unsung Episodes this week. My opinion is to be an unsung, you have to have a good career and then lose it all because of bad decisions, bad management, timing, health, accidents, drugs etc. By those standards , I'd like to see one on Teddy Pendergrass.

Melba Moore....this week? DARN IT! I really, really LOVE her Kashif-produced songs, yet other than the rap episodes, I think I've seen just about every episode [[including Teddy's) BUT Melba's....aw nuts...

Ohhh yeah...Heatwave never seen yet too...but they ain't Melba!

Roberta75
09-05-2012, 03:06 PM

OCT 2012

Cerritos, CA

That's a very nice way to bill mary Wilson and it's also real honest. Mary needs the name Supremes to sell tickets and the lady has every right to use it.

Roberta

milven
09-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Melba Moore....this week? DARN IT! I really, really LOVE her Kashif-produced songs, yet other than the rap episodes, I think I've seen just about every episode [[including Teddy's) BUT Melba's....aw nuts...

Ohhh yeah...Heatwave never seen yet too...but they ain't Melba!

No, someone recorded them and I borrowed and watched them this week. But I didn't know that there was already a Teddy episode. I'll have to watch for a repeat.

milven
09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
That's a very nice way to bill mary Wilson and it's also real honest. Mary needs the name Supremes to sell tickets and the lady has every right to use it.

Roberta

I also like that billing and she has every right to use it. The only billing that I strongly objected to was The Supremes starring Mary Wilson

REDHOT
09-06-2012, 04:58 AM
I really don't care what the billing is,as long as Mary Wilson is there LOL, Love Her,back to what this post is about,what about Thelma Houston or Freda Payne? and
Please stay positive

nathanj06
09-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Please stay positive

Syreeta is an excellent idea and very unsung. Most would only remember her by "With You I'm Born Again". Beautiful voice.

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 09:36 AM
The Jets
The Andantes

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Klymaxx
The Mary Jane Girls
High Energy

marybrewster
09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Delcina Wilson

Ngroove
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM
More than anyone else myself, I really, really wanna see Patrice Rushen be given the UNSUNG treatment - she has to be the QUEEN of "Old School" jams of the late seventies - late eighties, with, to name a few, "Haven't You Heard", "Look Up", "Forget Me Nots", "Remind Me", " Get Off [[You Fascinate Me)", "Feels So Good [[Can't Let Go)", "Watch Out!" - quite a few also been sampled, covered, by the likes of Mary J Blige, Will Smith, and Kirk Franklin.

brother_love
09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Unsung is in production on a two hour special on the sound of disco music. Thelma Houston was recently interview for this episode; it would be nice if they did a complete show on her career. After all she’s been is the biz since 1966, she’s the only Motown women to receive a Grammy for a Motown recording and yet is still going strong, but is still sadly unsung.

REDHOT
09-07-2012, 12:49 AM
i agree BrotherLove,Thelma Houston is the first lady at Motown to get a Grammy,yes she's like Syreeta Unsung,
Please stay positive

reese
09-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Thelma is the first solo female performer at Motown to get a Grammy. But Gladys Knight [[and the Pips) also won a Grammy in 1973, for NEITHER ONE OF US.

stranger56
09-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I'd like to see shows on Black Ivory and Solo.

Although a full length documentary on The Four Tops would definitely be welcomed, UNSUNG is hardly the venue for them.

marv2
09-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd like to see shows on Black Ivory and Solo.

Although a full length documentary on The Four Tops would definitely be welcomed, UNSUNG is hardly the venue for them.

Black Ivory is a great choice!