PDA

View Full Version : Jordin Sparks on meeting Mary Wilson

test

smark21
09-01-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.theroot.com/views/jordin-sparks-qa

The Root: I heard you got a chance to meet and hang out with Mary Wilson of the Supremes. What was it like meeting a singer from that era, and what advice did she give you?

Jordin Sparks: I grew up listening to the Motown sound -- my grandparents introduced me to that -- so my amazing publicist actually [arranged for us to meet] last September. I got to sit down and have dinner and ask her what it was like in the '60s. Did you guys get along? Were there some days when you didn't? She talked about how it was a lot of work and the tour busses weren't like what they are today. But she said the music was really important and it really spoke to what a lot of them were feeling.
I told her that I really didn't know how to [channel the era for my character] since I really didn't live [during that time]. And she was like, "All you have to do is really be yourself." The vernacular was a little different [back then] so listening to people in Detroit and listening to some clips online of the girls speaking helped me. I think Mary's coming to the premiere. I'm excited to be able to see her there and tell her thank you.

marv2
09-01-2012, 08:26 PM
I think it is very admirable that Mary is interested enough and willing to mentor and share with the young women in the business. I am happy that she is able to use her years of experience and be a role model for the new and upcoming stars.