PDA

View Full Version : "Berry Gordy's Motown" to open on Broadway March 11th 2013.

test

Roberta75
08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/motown-the-musical-announces-broadway-opening-date-and-lead-cast/

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120827/ENT01/208270409/1361/%E2%80%98Motown--The-Musical%E2%80%99-finds-its-Berry-Gordy--Diana-Ross

jobeterob
08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
August 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm
'Motown: The Musical' finds its Berry Gordy, Diana Ross
By Susan Whitall The Detroit News0Comments Brandon Victor Dixon will play Berry Gordy in the new Motown: The Musical, to debut in April 2013 [[Handout photo)Producers of the Berry Gordy-penned, Broadway-bound "Motown: The Musical" have announced the actors who will portray Gordy and his muse and greatest female star, Diana Ross, as well as other production details.
Brandon Victor Dixon, nominated for a Tony for his role in "The Color Purple," will play Gordy. Valisia LeKae, who's appeared in "The Book of Mormon," "Ragtime" and "The Threepenny Opera," is set to play Ross, the ambitious teenager from Detroit's Jeffries projects.
The musical, with a book written by Gordy and featuring songs from the vast Motown catalog, will begin preview performances March 11, 2013, and will open on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre [[205 W. 46th St.) a month later, April 14.
The musical will be directed by Charles Randolph-Wright, and Gordy is a co-producer of the show, along with Kevin McCollum and Doug Morris. It's been Gordy's dream to tell the story of his early struggle, when the self-described slacker of the Gordy family, lucky to have a job on a Ford assembly line, cadged a loan from his skeptical family to launch a Detroit-based record company that became an international sensation.
An 18-piece orchestra conducted by Ethan Popp will reproduce the "Sound of Young America," choreography will be directed by Patricia Wilcox [["Blues in the Night") and Warren Adams [["Toy Story: The Musical"), costume design will be by ESosa [["The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess") and scenic design by David Korins [["Bring It On: The Musical").
A special pre-sale of tickets for "Motown: The Musical" will start Sept. 23 for Citibank cardholders. Tickets will go on sale to the general public Oct. 1
Casting for the roles of other Motown greats, including Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson, will be announced soon.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120827/ENT01/208270409#ixzz24ml3GT9I

jobeterob
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Even though the story will only be "the basics", with the music, this has the potential to be a huge Broadway hit and bring Motown back to the people, especially the young people.

smark21
08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Broadway tickets are so expensive that they’re out of reach for most young people. Unless by young people you mean children who might be taken to the show by a parent or grandparent.

Jimi LaLumia
08-27-2012, 08:37 PM
and it's all about ****MISS DIANA ROSS!!!!****[[as it should be...)

marv2
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM

Sure it is. They don't even know where she comes from! hehehehehehehe!

"is set to play Ross, the ambitious teenager from Detroit's Jeffries projects."

jillfoster
08-28-2012, 12:17 AM

you startin that bullshit again? It's about Motown. Diana is just the first role they announced the casting on. Quit actin like Levi, Marvin, and everybody else is just some footnote.

jobeterob
08-28-2012, 01:01 AM
There are gonna be some real footnotes; some of the keen fans of the lesser knowns have to be prepared to be disappointed, more so than for Motown 25.

REDHOT
08-28-2012, 01:53 AM
I wonder who's playing Mary Wilson Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong LOL
Please stay positive

skooldem1
08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Motown fans have to realize that this musical is about Berry Gordy's life- with motown artist and music as the back drop. This is not about every single person who was signed to that label. The play has to have "main" characters and a "good" story that will keep you entertained for 3 hours. Look for big story lines for Mary Wells, Diana, Berry, Smokey and Michael.

milven
08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Motown fans have to realize that this musical is about Berry Gordy's life- with motown artist and music as the back drop. This is not about every single person who was signed to that label. The play has to have "main" characters and a "good" story that will keep you entertained for 3 hours. Look for big story lines for Mary Wells, Diana, Berry, Smokey and Michael.

My thoughts exactly. I might add Marvin and David to your list. Although the Four Tops were a big group, they were not controversial and it is controversy that sells.

skooldem1
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes, I meant to add in Marvin.

skooldem1
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Who will the villian/s be?

Jimi LaLumia
08-28-2012, 11:09 AM
the sub title for this show is...
"An Evening With Diana Ross"...and I Can't Wait!!!!!!

jobeterob
08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
If my memory is good, they were only looking for a Diana, Berry, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Those looked like the main characters.

skooldem1
08-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm sure that an important part of this musical will be the love between Berry and Diana. The dynamic duo. Against all odds reaching for the stars- "the impossible dream". It can't be too focused on Diana- but she will be one of the main characters and I think that the relationship and what they accomplished together will be a huge part of the overall theme. In essence, yes, this will be about Diana and Berry and Smokey and little Michael Jackson.

milven
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
the sub title for this show is...
"An Evening With Diana Ross"...and I Can't Wait!!!!!!

Hmm! That brings back memories from the bicentennial year

skooldem1
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
....and Marvin. Can't forget Marvin. Maybe he will be the "troubled man".

Jimi LaLumia
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Berry and Miss Ross will be 'the sun',,,
there will be a few smaller planets that revolve around them from time to time, but it will be Ross and Gordy who 'shine'...
did you all get a ticket yet?

marybrewster
08-28-2012, 02:19 PM
What about Janie Bradford?
Raynoma Mayberry Liles Gordy Singleton?

Jimi LaLumia
08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
ummmmmmmmm...probably NOT!!

marybrewster
08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
ummmmmmmmm...probably NOT!!

LOL, you're probably right. This is Berry's "story" afterall.

And with the magic of Broadway, I'm sure the loan was $80.00, that Diana was still a virgin, and he alone discovered the Jackson 5!

Roberta75
08-28-2012, 02:56 PM
What about Janie Bradford?
Raynoma Mayberry Liles Gordy Singleton?

LOL. Unless you want this play to be nine hours long I doubt it.

Roberta

jobeterob
08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Mary, you are being bad.

As I recall in Berry's book, he said this equipment was not in good working order on Night 1, so one assumes things remained intact.

This reminds me of a joke I heard about 30 years ago on Princess Anne's Wedding night. Some comic was having his first opening night ever. And he said, "Coincidentally, Princess Anne is also having her first opening tonight."

smark21
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
What I’m most interested in the show is what songs will be performed, how will they be arranged and performed [[hopefully not too Broadway), and which songs will be used to advance/tell the story and develop the characters and which songs will be performance spots.

I suspect the producers will hire an ensemble chorus of 5-10 men and women to perform as various group members.

It will be interesting if this show will be good. And will it be a Jersey Boys hit or a Baby It’s You flop?

carole cucumber
08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
If it's a hit, Hip-O-Select may have to step up its release schedule a bit for Diana Ross, Diana Ross & the Supremes, & Marvin Gaye. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Stevie Wonder's heart was so moved by the play as to authorize expanded editions of his Motown catalog and the inclusion of his 1972 singles in the Complete Motown Singles

smark21
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
HEre's the official website for the show:

http://www.motownthemusical.com/

marv2
08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
If my memory is good, they were only looking for a Diana, Berry, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Those looked like the main characters.

That is because this is going to be a fluff piece! I met Berry Gordy's former accountant today in Manhattan by the way.......

milven
08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
That is because this is going to be a fluff piece! I met Berry Gordy's former accountant today in Manhattan by the way.......
Well, if anyone could verify that it is going to be a fluff piece, it would be Berry's former accountant :rolleyes:

But seriously, I tend to agree with you. It is a musical - a jukebox musical at that - and they tend to be fluff pieces. A strong book usually eliminates the fluff, but in this case the book of the musical is by Berry and so it will probably be a slight book, just enough to string the Motown hits together.

carole cucumber
08-28-2012, 09:12 PM

Is the accountant presenting his version on Broadway? It'll be interesting to hear the story from 2 different perspectives- although Berry's would likely offer observations from a longer time-frame than the accountant.

marv2
08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Is the accountant presenting his version on Broadway? It'll be interesting to hear the story from 2 different perspectives- although Berry's would likely offer observations from a longer time-frame than the accountant.

Nah, where did I say that or where did you hear that? You still are having a problem reading and understanding things I see.

jobeterob
08-31-2012, 12:34 AM
‘Motown: The Musical’ picks its stars to play Berry Gordy and Diana Ross

Brandon Victor Dixon, a Tony nominee for 'The Color Purple,' and Valisia LeKae, an understudy in 'The Book of Mormon,' land coveted roles
Comments [[1)
By Joe Dziemianowicz / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, August 27, 2012, 3:07 PM

Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012, 5:39 PM
Courtesy of Motown: The Musical

Brandon Victor Dixon, who will play Berry Gordy in ‘Motown, The Musical’

We heard it through the grapevine — and from the producers.

Brandon Victor Dixon, a Tony nominee for “The Color Purple,” and Valisia LeKae, an understudy in “The Book of Mormon” and “Ragtime,” will star as Berry Gordy and Diana Ross on Broadway in “Motown: The Musical.”

The show, set to premiere in the spring, is based on Gordy’s life and woven together by hits from the massive Motown catalogue.

Gordy, 82, one of the show’s producers and its book writer, said on the musical’s website: “I’m extremely proud to be bringing this story to the big stage.”

The story tracks his rise from boxer to music mogul and 1960s starmaker who launched the careers of Ross and the Supremes, Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and others.

“There are so many similarities between the Broadway philosophy and the Motown philosophy,” said Berry, who noted that both are motored by “collaboration and community.”

Courtesy of Motown: The Musical

Valisia LeKae, who will play Diana Ross in ‘Motown, The Musical’

He marveled at Motown’s inclusive popularity. “Blacks, whites, Jews and Gentiles, cops and the robbers” all embraced it, he said.

In addition to playing Harpo in “Color Purple,” Dixon’s Off-Broadway leads include “The Scottsboro Boys” and “Rent.” He told The News that he admires the man he’ll portray on stage.

“Berry has always held a special place in my esteem,” he said. “I have love and respect for what he did, not just for music, but for us as a global community. His work truly changed the world, so this is a very special honor. Also, it’s just plain awesome.

“My introduction to Motown was through the Jackson Five,” he continued, “and Michael Jackson has always been my greatest inspiration.”

Earlier this summer, an online casting call went out for a young actor to play a young Michael Jackson, little Stevie Wonder and a pre-teen Gordy. That casting and other roles will be announced later.

While relatively unknown in New York, LeKae’s regional work has turned heads. Her 2010 portrayal of Sarah in a Chicago production of “Ragtime” earned her a Jefferson Award nomination. And in a 2008 production of “Dreamgirls” in Raleigh, N.C., she was applauded for the “steely strength” and “electricity” she brought as Deena, a role based on Ross.

Adds “Motown” director Charles Randolph-Wright: “I asked everyone auditioning for these icons not to copy them but to evoke them.” Valisia “walked in,” he said, “and the audition and the temperature changed. It is an exhilarating performance.”

The creative team of “Motown” includes choreographers Patricia Wilcox and Warren Adams and designers David Korins [[set), ESosa [[costumes), Natasha Katz [[lights) and Peter Hylenski [[sound).

The show will begin previews on March 11 and officially open April 13 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. Tickets will go on sale to Citibank cardholders on Sept. 23 and the general public on

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/motown-musical-picks-stars-play-berry-gordy-diana-ross-article-1.1145537#ixzz255x2nSKg

floyjoy678
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm really looking forward to this I just hope the world doesn't end in December of this year like their calling for [[again!) lol

carole cucumber
09-10-2012, 10:39 AM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-The-Casts-of-BROADWAY-ON-BROADWAY-ANNIE-MOTOWN-SCANDALOUS-BARE-and-More-20120909

jobeterob
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Berry Gordy and the Cast

skooldem1
09-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Looks like this is really going to happen. Exciting. When do tickets go on sale? Dare I say that we just may get to see a "Supremes" reunion at the opening. Discuss. LOL.

skooldem1
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Is that the lady with the 60's style wig the actress playing Diana Ross? If so, she is already learning her character. Do something to stand out in a group picture. So funny.

jobeterob
09-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Is that the lady with the 60's style wig the actress playing Diana Ross? If so, she is already learning her character. Do something to stand out in a group picture. So funny.

She must be!

This could easily be what's needed to bring Motown to a whole new generation and could easily blow Motown 50 right out of the water.

carole cucumber
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
http://images.bwwstatic.com/upload10/403205/tn-500_[[9).jpg

Roberta75
09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
http://images.bwwstatic.com/upload10/403205/tn-500_[[9).jpg

That lady to the right of Mr. Gordy has Diane's 1960's hair down. I bet this will be a great musical. I wonder who is playing the First Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves?

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

milven
09-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Looks like this is really going to happen. Exciting. When do tickets go on sale? Dare I say that we just may get to see a "Supremes" reunion at the opening. Discuss. LOL.

Tickets go on sale October 1st to the general public. It would be nice if all living Motown artists were at the opening performance

skooldem1
09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for replying. It would be nice if as many as possible could attend. The only problem with that- is that a wonderful evening will be messed up because some will cry foul that they are not represented in the play.

jobeterob
09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=403225

snakepit
09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
no musicians then..........

no writers........producers...........arrangers...... ...

at least nobody has mentioned them on here

How much would a ticket cost for this?.....I'm in New York next year.

milven
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
no musicians then..........

no writers........producers...........arrangers...... ...

at least nobody has mentioned them on here

How much would a ticket cost for this?.....I'm in New York next year.

The Motown Story included artists, writers and producers and arrangers so I'm sure all will be included in the musical to some degree. Pricing: $66.50 - $135.50. Tickets can also be gotten at discount. A $135 ticket can usually be gotten for about $ 85. It's expensive, but nothing is better than live entertainment.

snakepit
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks
I'd like to see it..........but suspect It would be a frustrating evening for me.
I'll wait for a few reviews.

jobeterob
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
They only advertised for a few principal characters: Berry, Diana, Smokey, Marvin, Stevie and Michael.

I can see this being huge; and also huge in terms of generating interest in the original music.

But for real fans, I can see considerable frustration; as in: Did you like their version of Dancing in the Street and Get Ready? As in many producers, arrangers, writers, background artists and artists that weren't in the top tier of hitmakers or were members of groups that had many members pass through them ~ all getting lumped together as "others" in group sing alongs.

skooldem1
09-10-2012, 06:04 PM
That was just a preview. I don't think that is an actual medley or scene from the musical.

REDHOT
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I love it,these young people is gonna put Motown back on the map,back in the spotlight,yes Motown is forever.
Please stay positive

smark21
09-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Yes, it is the actress cast to play Diana Ross. Her name is Valisa LeKae.

smark21
09-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Here’s footage of the Motown cast performing at yesterday’s Broadway on Broadway concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSnlKgPSu4

marv2
09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
See, I told you........FLUFF! LOL!!!

By the way, that guy sounds nothing like Eddie Kendricks.

Jimi LaLumia
09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
...all the way to the bank!!!!!!...
the story of Miss Diana Ross comes to Broadway[[..and then,most likely, a major motion picture...and THEN, a tv series!!!)..

milven
09-11-2012, 12:27 AM
See, I told you........FLUFF! LOL!!!

By the way, that guy sounds nothing like Eddie Kendricks.

The clip is from part of a concert of performers singing songs from their upcoming and current shows. This is not the Motown Musical. So we don't know yet if it is fluff, puff or otha' stuff.

Here is a clip of Berry talking about his new musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hUzQxZMwzA&feature=player_embedded#!

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the interview with Mr. Gordy, Milven. Great.

In the sense that there will be a focus on the major artists and on a general story line...........it will be a "big picture" theme. And I guess if Marv wants a focus on the disgruntled, the victimes, the losers, some unhappinesses, real or imagined; no that won't be there; if fluff is left, yaaaaaaaaaa.

snakepit
09-11-2012, 05:47 AM
I've seen Jersey Boys twice , it was fantastic from a musical point of view.But it also handled the drama, tragedy and darker side of the 4 Seasons story.
I suspect that this Motown show will be dominated by Diana Ross,Smokey,Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Commodores and Jackson 5.[[with other artists featured).But the Motown Story? I doubt it.
How much attention will Mary Wells get.........her records kept the company afloat.
Again....writers, producers, arrangers. The Funk Bros, other key personnel..the people who actually made the music will be overlooked............I hope I'm wrong.
Most UK members here have a wider spread of interest when it comes to Motown....we generally grew up with the lesser known artists receiving plays in youth clubs, discos etc.
Isley Bros, Elgins, Marv Johnson, Jimmy Ruffin, Contours etc .alongside the majors.
There was no National pop radio in the UK until late 1967. BBC was not known for playing Black Music.......it was very old fashioned in it's outlook.
DRATS & Four Tops had some chart records in the 60's.1967 saw an interest in soul music...Otis Redding, Stax and Atlantic....flavour of the month stuff. But overall , until 1969, Motown/Soul music was not featured heavily on radio. We had no major media /culture interested in Motown...it was pretty specialised.
We have shows such as "Dancing in the street" touring regularly [[A selection of Motown hits with a loose story).People enjoy them. Have a good time, bringing back memories. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally don't bother.
IF this Broadway show is along similar lines I won't be interested.
However, if it is similar to Jersey Boys [[where the audience might come away with a greater appreciation of the 'story' [[as best it can do in 2 hours) then I might.

REDHOT
09-11-2012, 08:02 AM
I wonder who's gonna play Mary Wilson Florence Ballard or Cindy Birdsong,LOL just kidding,
Please stay positive

snakepit
09-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Seen as they aren't on 75% of the DRATS records ...who cares?
Please stay focussed

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Here's the basic story line:

Featuring songs from the legendary Motown catalogueComing to Broadway Spring 2013
Citibank® Exclusive Pre-sale Begins September 23rd
Tickets On Sale To The General Public October 1stWelcome to Hitsville, USA!MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is the real story of the one-of-a-kind sound that hit the airwaves in 1959 and changed America forever. This exhilarating show charts Motown founder Berry Gordy's incredible journey from featherweight boxer to the heavyweight music mogul who launched the careers of Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye and so many more.

Featuring all the classics you love, MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL tells the story behind the hits as Smokey finds his unique voice, Diana skyrockets to stardom and Berry fights against the odds to turn his improbable dream into a triumphant reality. The music that shattered barriers and shaped our lives finally comes to the Broadway stage in the season's most highly anticipated world-premiere event, MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL... Get ready, 'cause here we come!

Several reviews of Sparkle complained that it was running too close to Dreamgirls and we'd already had that story line. And I can't see them throwing in drugs, alcohol and depression into this story. At least not other than in passing.

This is going to be "happy time" "SUCCESS".

snakepit
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
No Lewis Sister...no snakepit

only joking

REDHOT
09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
I wonder who's playing Mary Wilson Florence Ballard,or Cindy Birdsong LOL,just kidding
Please stay positive

marv2
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the interview with Mr. Gordy, Milven. Great.

In the sense that there will be a focus on the major artists and on a general story line...........it will be a "big picture" theme. And I guess if Marv wants a focus on the disgruntled, the victimes, the losers, some unhappinesses, real or imagined; no that won't be there; if fluff is left, yaaaaaaaaaa.

I am just focusing on reality! I don't know many people that would be interested in seeing "Fame does Motown" or "Glee Sings Motown" LOL!!!

Motown's Story was quite dramatic and if they plan to succeed with this, they had better go harder and a bit darker.......just a bit.

marv2
09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I wonder who's playing Mary Wilson Florence Ballard,or Cindy Birdsong LOL,just kidding
Please stay positive

Mary could play herself based on how's she's looking today! LOL!

marv2
09-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Seen as they aren't on 75% of the DRATS records ...who cares?
Please stay focussed

Right because DRATS didn't get but 2 hits in 3 years or so, who does care?

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Motown's Story was quite dramatic and if they plan to succeed with this, they had better go harder and a bit darker.......just a bit.[/QUOTE]

Let's have a $5 bet on whether or not this is going to be a smash hit. I'm going with this one is going to be big!

For you Marv.......you lived through the Kennedy Centre Award for Diana, the Lifetime Achievement Award for Diana from the Grammys, her guardianship of Michael's children..............you'll survive Motown: The Musical, even if Mary Wilson is relegated to one of the "others"; and it might happen.

Mary seems to cope with it all so her fans can likely cope too.

mirage
09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
I've seen Jersey Boys twice , it was fantastic from a musical point of view.But it also handled the drama, tragedy and darker side of the 4 Seasons story.
I suspect that this Motown show will be dominated by Diana Ross,Smokey,Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Commodores and Jackson 5.[[with other artists featured).But the Motown Story? I doubt it.
How much attention will Mary Wells get.........her records kept the company afloat.
Again....writers, producers, arrangers. The Funk Bros, other key personnel..the people who actually made the music will be overlooked............I hope I'm wrong.
Most UK members here have a wider spread of interest when it comes to Motown....we generally grew up with the lesser known artists receiving plays in youth clubs, discos etc.
Isley Bros, Elgins, Marv Johnson, Jimmy Ruffin, Contours etc .alongside the majors.
There was no National pop radio in the UK until late 1967. BBC was not known for playing Black Music.......it was very old fashioned in it's outlook.
DRATS & Four Tops had some chart records in the 60's.1967 saw an interest in soul music...Otis Redding, Stax and Atlantic....flavour of the month stuff. But overall , until 1969, Motown/Soul music was not featured heavily on radio. We had no major media /culture interested in Motown...it was pretty specialised.
We have shows such as "Dancing in the street" touring regularly [[A selection of Motown hits with a loose story).People enjoy them. Have a good time, bringing back memories. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally don't bother.
IF this Broadway show is along similar lines I won't be interested.
However, if it is similar to Jersey Boys [[where the audience might come away with a greater appreciation of the 'story' [[as best it can do in 2 hours) then I might.

Okay…To Be Loved …allegedly a book that was personally written by Berry Gordy is taking Motown toBroadway for a quarter of a billion “Sony” dollars … there are a lot of folksin Detroit right now that could use a few of those corporate bucks for food fortheir kids…or maybe those corporate dollars mightactually benefit the Motown Museum and help it into becoming a better communitypartner for all its Motown alumni, their families and the entire Detroitcommunity.
The point I’m going to make about Broadway Berry isthis: other than the “Motown Sound” and an entourage of newbies and wannabes hand-pickedby Gordy for their possible vocals/looks [[Ahem!) to impersonate a few Motown stars…what is the real difference between his ego inflated costly tribute show andthat of other tribute shows such as the links as listed below.
A Motown tribute show is simplya tribute show no matter who puts it on … and as far as the dilapidatedMotown Museum legacyGordy left behind in Detroit … “Money” that’s what it needs as whatever moneycomes in has not really provided the amount of funding required for either themuseum’s upkeep, expansion or its outreach programs into the community… Itdoesn’t take much to discover the underbelly of any nonprofit. You just need to know where the paper skeletonsare buried and to follow the money walking out its door. How long has the museum been in existence? It can’t even keep its “piano” story straight.These are random thoughts …
Personal note to Gordy: “Hey, BroadwayBerry … Break a Leg!”

There is an entire world of these Motown Tributes usingsimilar Motown logos and impersonators… you would think that Motown would shutthese shows down … so why haven’t they?
Motown, Motown Tribute, Motown Tribute Show, Motown TributeShows, Motown Tribute Acts, Available through Global Entertainment Associates copyright Motown Tribute Show 2012
www.robbiewilliamstributeshows.com [[http://www.robbiewilliamstributeshows.com/) www.michaelbubletributeshows.com [[http://www.michaelbubletributeshows.com/)www.shirleybasseytributeshow.com [[http://www.shirleybasseytributeshow.com/) www.globalentertainmentassociates.co.uk [[http://www.globalentertainmentassociates.co.uk/)

mirage
09-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry for the run together wording...not sure how I did that ...

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Mirage

Explain the quarter billion Sony dollars. With that, one would expect it won't be allowed to fail.

skooldem1
09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
"what is the real difference between his ego inflated costly tribute show andthat of other tribute shows "

I would say the major difference is that this is HIS life. He has the right to tell it regardless of how many others out there are telling his story- and think they know more about his life than he does. Haven't members of this forum been "discussing" for years how it isn't right for "tribute" groups to go out there and pretend? For example, with these fake Supreme groups, should Mary stop performing? Whats the difference between Mary singing "baby love" and a tribute group? The answer.... MARY Wilson- the real thing.

So the key here is that, this is Berry Gordy's life. He can present it any way he wants. Doesn't matter what else is out there.

marv2
09-11-2012, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=jobeterob;123158]Let's have a $5 bet on whether or not this is going to be a smash hit. I'm going with this one is going to be big!

For you Marv.......you lived through the Kennedy Centre Award for Diana, the Lifetime Achievement Award for Diana from the Grammys, her guardianship of Michael's children..............you'll survive Motown: The Musical, even if Mary Wilson is relegated to one of the "others"; and it might happen.

Mary seems to cope with it all so her fans can likely cope too.
QUOTE]

No! I lived through the Kennedy Assasinations, the King Assasination, the Walk on the Moon, the deaths of my father and grandfather and 9/11 just to name a few! Whatever Diane Ross of the Supremes has been doing means nothing to me or anyone else in the big scheme of things. Mary is busy promoting her new recording and preparing for her new movie role. I am pretty sure she is not interested that much in any of this. Most likely none of the old Motown artists are thinking about it.

marv2
09-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Okay…To Be Loved …allegedly a book that was personally written by Berry Gordy is taking Motown toBroadway for a quarter of a billion “Sony” dollars … there are a lot of folksin Detroit right now that could use a few of those corporate bucks for food fortheir kids…or maybe those corporate dollars mightactually benefit the Motown Museum and help it into becoming a better communitypartner for all its Motown alumni, their families and the entire Detroitcommunity.
The point I’m going to make about Broadway Berry isthis: other than the “Motown Sound” and an entourage of newbies and wannabes hand-pickedby Gordy for their possible vocals/looks [[Ahem!) to impersonate a few Motown stars…what is the real difference between his ego inflated costly tribute show andthat of other tribute shows such as the links as listed below.
A Motown tribute show is simplya tribute show no matter who puts it on … and as far as the dilapidatedMotown Museum legacyGordy left behind in Detroit … “Money” that’s what it needs as whatever moneycomes in has not really provided the amount of funding required for either themuseum’s upkeep, expansion or its outreach programs into the community… Itdoesn’t take much to discover the underbelly of any nonprofit. You just need to know where the paper skeletonsare buried and to follow the money walking out its door. How long has the museum been in existence? It can’t even keep its “piano” story straight.These are random thoughts …
Personal note to Gordy: “Hey, BroadwayBerry … Break a Leg!”

There is an entire world of these Motown Tributes usingsimilar Motown logos and impersonators… you would think that Motown would shutthese shows down … so why haven’t they?
Motown, Motown Tribute, Motown Tribute Show, Motown TributeShows, Motown Tribute Acts, Available through Global Entertainment Associates copyright Motown Tribute Show 2012
www.robbiewilliamstributeshows.com [[http://www.robbiewilliamstributeshows.com/) www.michaelbubletributeshows.com [[http://www.michaelbubletributeshows.com/)www.shirleybasseytributeshow.com [[http://www.shirleybasseytributeshow.com/) www.globalentertainmentassociates.co.uk [[http://www.globalentertainmentassociates.co.uk/)

Great post Mirage! Thank you for saying what had to be said!

marv2
09-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Mirage

Explain the quarter billion Sony dollars. With that, one would expect it won't be allowed to fail.

Fail? Who is this play targeted to? Who is it's potential audience?

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 05:54 PM
This will be a home run using the original music, aimed at the masses ~ just like Motown in its heyday.

But ya, it's going to burn a few people; the ones that didn't get touched by the golden goose; the ones with mortgages and that got left behind; some of them have coped well and been very happy and you won't hear from them; and others have lashed out here and there and perhaps might again. As usual, not much attention will be paid to them. Very much like the fans.........the odd lashing out and whining; people smirk and pay them no attention.

This isn't something for a hardcore fan; it is something for everyone.

mirage
09-11-2012, 06:19 PM
This will be a home run using the original music, aimed at the masses ~ just like Motown in its heyday.

But ya, it's going to burn a few people; the ones that didn't get touched by the golden goose; the ones with mortgages and that got left behind; some of them have coped well and been very happy and you won't hear from them; and others have lashed out here and there and perhaps might again. As usual, not much attention will be paid to them. Very much like the fans.........the odd lashing out and whining; people smirk and pay them no attention.

This isn't something for a hardcore fan; it is something for everyone.

Possibly a short version of Berry’s life: Motor City Berry takes his Detroit millionaire-madeand paid for limo from “Hitsville USA” [[leaving behind his beautiful museum legacyminus its real “piano” for the City of Detroit not to enjoy) before he skips town to move to LA with his “selectstars” and evolve into Movie Mogul Berry…then he gets back into his now-Sony chauffeureddriven limo and is driven across the countryand arrives in the “Big Apple” and changes his moniker to Broadway Berry [[2013)… quite a love story that he tells HIS way. The Motown music might play on …the “His” story simply has more holes in it than the Titanic did … beforeit hit the iceberg.
Exactly what [[dare I say who) did the Motown 50 Galabenefit? And what happened to theDetroit Gala where invitations were sent out and where Sir Paul with theinfamous Motown piano was to appear … now it is $10,000 for a NYC ticket to seeSir Paul and Broadway Berry tickle less than the piano ivories that were to berestored … for the rundown legacy heleft behind in Detroit City. Did I missanything in HIS story? I can always do a rewrite.

Roberta75
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Possibly a short version of Berry’s life: Motor City Berry takes his Detroit millionaire-madeand paid for limo from “Hitsville USA” [[leaving behind his beautiful museum legacyminus its real “piano” for the City of Detroit not to enjoy) before he skips town to move to LA with his “selectstars” and evolve into Movie Mogul Berry…then he gets back into his now-Sony chauffeureddriven limo and is driven across the countryand arrives in the “Big Apple” and changes his moniker to Broadway Berry [[2013)… quite a love story that he tells HIS way. The Motown music might play on …the “His” story simply has more holes in it than the Titanic did … beforeit hit the iceberg.
Exactly what [[dare I say who) did the Motown 50 Galabenefit? And what happened to theDetroit Gala where invitations were sent out and where Sir Paul with theinfamous Motown piano was to appear … now it is $10,000 for a NYC ticket to seeSir Paul and Broadway Berry tickle less than the piano ivories that were to berestored … for the rundown legacy heleft behind in Detroit City. Did I missanything in HIS story? I can always do a rewrite.

Then it is safe to assume you won't be seeing Berry Gordy's Motown on Broadway?

You seem to have a lot of animosity towards Mr. Gordy. Did he do something personal to you mirage?

Best wishes,

Roberta

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 06:50 PM

You seem to have a lot of animosity towards Mr. Gordy. Did he do something personal to you mirage?

Best wishes,

Roberta

Well a lot of people were left behind Roberta; and the golden goose of Richard Pryor fame did not benefit all.

But this is not that story. And Berry's story again has hit potential.

mirage
09-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Well a lot of people were left behind Roberta; and the golden goose of Richard Pryor fame did not benefit all.

But this is not that story. And Berry's story again has hit potential.

__________________________________________________ _______

May I call you Robert so as not to offend Roberta … It is not Berry's story that is the hit … it'sthe Motown music; not the man. A man does cut out on his family by packing his bags and running away; he does not ignore his responsibilities or turn his back on friends. Respect is what a man earns by honoring his word and seeking justice. Gordy left the city of Detroit and didn't even bother to turn off the light; he let it burn out. Gordy's story plays out like every other ethically bankrupt person who makes money and forgets his past by reinventing himself and his lifestyle. Is Gordy's story complicated...hell no. Is his legacy to Detroit something to be proud of ... well...go visit the place if it is still standing in a few years.

You know Robert... maybe it's about time someone does the right thing by not calling Mr. Gordy ... Mr. Gordy … that is until he earns the title.

Detroit may not be LA or NYC ... but it is a community with a very big heart and a whole lot of soul. It deserves better than an old run-down music museum with a few lights on that will be housing a refurbished second tier piano. Even though I may be in NYC; I will not be attending the $10,000 a ticket NYC piano benefit. I’drather donate $10,000 to the victims of the economy in Detroit. Maybe the museum could be turned into a homeless shelter …at least itwould get some use.

carole cucumber
09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
No! I lived through the Kennedy Assasinations, the King Assasination, the Walk on the Moon, the deaths of my father and grandfather and 9/11 just to name a few! Whatever Diane Ross of the Supremes has been doing means nothing to me or anyone else in the big scheme of things. Mary is busy promoting her new recording and preparing for her new movie role. I am pretty sure she is not interested that much in any of this. Most likely none of the old Motown artists are thinking about it.

Just curious....
Is there another famous Diana Ross [[Diane, to her friends, so although you appear to mask your relationship with words, the title says that you must consider her a friend) not of the Supremes?
And why then do you assume that Mary of the Supremes [[whom I love as I do Diana & all the Supremes) means something to anyone else in the big scheme of things just because her recent projects have been announced online?

marv2
09-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Best wishes,

Roberta

It's safe to assume, it's probably none of your business. Mirage has a right to his or her opinions just like all of us............

marv2
09-11-2012, 10:22 PM
just curious....
Is there another famous diana ross [[diane, to her friends, so although you appear to mask your relationship with words, the title says that you must consider her a friend) not of the supremes?
And why then do you assume that mary of the supremes [[whom i love as i do diana & all the supremes) means something to anyone else in the big scheme of things just because her recent projects have been announced online?

huh?????????????????????

milven
09-11-2012, 11:11 PM
From reading the posts in this thread, it seems as though many of you are expecting this to be some kind of documentary on the life of Berry, Motown and its stars. Well, it won't be that. It'll be a biographical musical. I love them, but if I am looking for the real facts, I'll watch a PBS documentary or read a biography of the celebrity. On Broadway, GYPSY, EVITA, & JOLSON re-arrange, alter, and embellish the lives of Gypsy Rose Lee, Evita Peron, and Al Jolson. In JOLSON, they took three of his wives and combined them into one wife. CHAPLIN opened yesterday. Charlie Chaplin was very egotistical, domineering, nasty man in real life. I saw very little of that in the musical. Instead, the musical gave a rounded, thoughtful interpretation of Charlie Chaplin. It celebrates Charlie Chaplin by using all the show biz cliches. I suspect the Motown Musical will do the same with Gordy. Nevertheless , I enjoyed Chaplin and will probably love Motown The Musical because I love Motown and Broadway.

I also hope that one day there will be a documentary about Motown on PBS or somewhere else, but those people who go to see this musical will be disappointed if they are expecting to see a documentary instead of a few hours of entertainment.

marv2
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
From reading the posts in this thread, it seems as though many of you are expecting this to be some kind of documentary on the life of Berry, Motown and its stars. Well, it won't be that. It'll be a biographical musical. I love them, but if I am looking for the real facts, I'll watch a PBS documentary or read a biography of the celebrity. On Broadway, GYPSY, EVITA, & JOLSON re-arrange, alter, and embellish the lives of Gypsy Rose Lee, Evita Peron, and Al Jolson. In JOLSON, they took three of his wives and combined them into one wife. CHAPLIN opened yesterday. Charlie Chaplin was very egotistical, domineering, nasty man in real life. I saw very little of that in the musical. Instead, the musical gave a rounded, thoughtful interpretation of Charlie Chaplin. It celebrates Charlie Chaplin by using all the show biz cliches. I suspect the Motown Musical will do the same with Gordy. Nevertheless , I enjoyed Chaplin and will probably love Motown The Musical because I love Motown and Broadway.

I also hope that one day there will be a documentary about Motown on PBS or somewhere else, but those people who go to see this musical will be disappointed if they are expecting to see a documentary instead of a few hours of entertainment.

If there ever is a documentary made about Motown, I hope it is done by the Canadian Broadcasting Company [[the CBC!). They are experts! They have produced some of the most compelling documentaries I've seen in the last 20 years and they've done so in a very short period of time.

jobeterob
09-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey Mirage

You may be entirely right about Berry Gordy. I have no issue assuming for the time being you are right.

But buying into all of that, it has nothing to do with his Broadway show.

Perhaps it shouldnt be a hit because of some of his ethics; perhaps it shouldn't be a hit because it will not call by name the Vandellas, the Andantes, the Supremes etc., other than by their group name, because it will not name any producers etc.

But it WILL be...............because it's about the music and a time and some few people that were very successful. And the world WILL want to hear that music and a happy show.

I'm sure the story of Columbia, Epic, Chess, Stax, RCA, and all the others has some immoral, unethical, sad moments too; and I'm sure Berry Gordy stepped on some toes, crapped on others, kicked lazy asses, and even did not pay money that by today's standards now is regarded as unfair ~ but none of that will make any difference to the success of this musical.

And I also see that this will rub salt in a few wounds. I'm sorry to see and hear that and I believe some of you. And I don't know why Berry would want to wash Detroit out of his blood. But he is getting to be an old man who likely only bothers focussing on a few things.

This has HIT written all over it.

milven
09-11-2012, 11:35 PM
If there ever is a documentary made about Motown, I hope it is done by the Canadian Broadcasting Company [[the CBC!). They are experts! They have produced some of the most compelling documentaries I've seen in the last 20 years and they've done so in a very short period of time.

Someone posted a link on this board to the CBC 5 part documentary of the record industry called Twilight of the Gods. It was terrific and worth listening to twice. If it is any indication of their capabilities of producing informative documentaries, I'd love to see them do one on Motown too.

marv2
09-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Someone posted a link on this board to the CBC 5 part documentary of the record industry called Twilight of the Gods. It was terrific and worth listening to twice. If it is any indication of their capabilities of producing informative documentaries, I'd love to see them do one on Motown too.

If you ever get the opportunity you should check out the daily TV program "DOCs" on the CBC. Some pretty amazing stuff they produce. I get to see it mostly when I am back home on holidays.

Jimi LaLumia
09-12-2012, 12:34 AM
It's going to be a huge smash that will run for years, tourists from all over America and the world will flock to this, jukebox musical, which is what it is; they'll hear the songs live, with a thunderous orchestra and background singing that will equal The Andantes times one thousand...
they don't care about the drama, or who got slighted, they will come to admire Berry Gordy for building and running a company, against all odds, and creating the biggest star of the 60's, 70's, 80's and beyond...*****DIANA ROSS****!...can't WAIT for the soundtrack CD!!

marv2
09-12-2012, 07:13 AM
It's going to be a huge smash that will run for years, tourists from all over America and the world will flock to this, jukebox musical, which is what it is; they'll hear the songs live, with a thunderous orchestra and background singing that will equal The Andantes times one thousand...
they don't care about the drama, or who got slighted, they will come to admire Berry Gordy for building and running a company, against all odds, and creating the biggest star of the 60's, 70's, 80's and beyond...*****DIANA ROSS****!...can't WAIT for the soundtrack CD!!

BAM! "tourists from all over America and the world will flock to this......" Thank you! That is who this play is targeted! The same people that the Mayor of New York has turned Times Square into "Disneyland" for. Of course they don't care about the drama, [[the Civil Rights Movement, etc). They never care about African American History. They just want the "ice cream" , to be entertained and screw the truth. If they don't already admire Berry Gordy or Diana Ross, I highly doubt that a Broadway Play is going to change reputations, opinions or FACTS that are already out there. I can not imagine wanting a soundtrack CD of unknown singers singing old Motown songs that I've heard all of my life.

milven
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
BAM! "tourists from all over America and the world will flock to this......" Thank you! That is who this play is targeted! The same people that the Mayor of New York has turned Times Square into "Disneyland" for. Of course they don't care about the drama, [[the Civil Rights Movement, etc). They never care about African American History.

As a New Yorker, I'd rather walk down a Disneyfied 42d Street than be hustled by pimps , prostitutes, hustlers, porn shops, etc. There are plenty of plays on Broadway - and off Broadway, about civil rights. Have you seen any of the August Wilson plays? THURGOOD ? The recently closed CLYBOURNE PARK? There is still plenty of good drama on Broadway. And yes, it is a business. So they do try to get the tourist too and and cater to them. [[sometimes, maybe too much) MOTOWN THE MUSICAL may be one of them. And by definition, a musical is usually light. If it is done right, there will be some drama. But, with Berry in charge, the drama that some Motown fans want to see, probably will not be there. All we can do is speculate. But there is no need to downgrade the Broadway theatre or Broadway enthusiasts in order to speculate on how good or how bad Motown Musical will be. There is plenty of good stuff on the Great White Way and ,if you search, off-Broadway has many gems too.

And there is no need to worry about wanting a soundtrack CD of unknown singers singing old Motown songs. There won't be a soundtrack CD unless and until they make a movie of it. And that movie will probably be cast with well known young singers. It is possible that they will release and an original cast recording of the Broadway musical if it is a hit. If they do, I will also put it on my list of CD's not to get. I rather listen to the real thing. I also do not have the original cast recording of Jersey Boys. The real Four Seasons are so much better. Just sayin'.

skooldem1
09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't understand the things that some are saying about this musical when it hasn't even been previewed yet. No one knows what will or wont be in this musical. I have a feeling that if in the clip the other day of them singing "Get Ready/Dancing in the Streets" they had some pretty young singer sing "Pretty Baby" or "Buttered Popcorn" their views would be totally different.

skooldem1
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
....and also, this musical is NOT about Diana Ross.

Roberta75
09-12-2012, 09:33 AM
....and also, this musical is NOT about Diana Ross.

Everything is about Diane Ross for marv2. LOL

Roberta

marv2
09-12-2012, 09:49 AM
As a New Yorker, I'd rather walk down a Disneyfied 42d Street than be hustled by pimps , prostitutes, hustlers, porn shops, etc. There are plenty of plays on Broadway - and off Broadway, about civil rights. Have you seen any of the August Wilson plays? THURGOOD ? The recently closed CLYBOURNE PARK? There is still plenty of good drama on Broadway. And yes, it is a business. So they do try to get the tourist too and and cater to them. [[sometimes, maybe too much) MOTOWN THE MUSICAL may be one of them. And by definition, a musical is usually light. If it is done right, there will be some drama. But, with Berry in charge, the drama that some Motown fans want to see, probably will not be there. All we can do is speculate. But there is no need to downgrade the Broadway theatre or Broadway enthusiasts in order to speculate on how good or how bad Motown Musical will be. There is plenty of good stuff on the Great White Way and ,if you search, off-Broadway has many gems too.

And there is no need to worry about wanting a soundtrack CD of unknown singers singing old Motown songs. There won't be a soundtrack CD unless and until they make a movie of it. And that movie will probably be cast with well known young singers. It is possible that they will release and an original cast recording of the Broadway musical if it is a hit. If they do, I will also put it on my list of CD's not to get. I rather listen to the real thing. I also do not have the original cast recording of Jersey Boys. The real Four Seasons are so much better. Just sayin'.

You want Disneyland, that's your perogative. Yes I saw several of August Wilson's plays back in the 80's.

No drama, no truth, no me!

marv2
09-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Everything is about Diane Ross for marv2. LOL

Roberta

Go back and read your Bible and then come back and tell me what it says about lying!

snakepit
09-12-2012, 10:30 AM
To clarify my point, IF this show is just like a tribute show , with a cast of singers and dancers performing the big hits, then I probably won't bother getting tickets when I'm there.
However, IF there is some 'believeable' back story , preferably with a nod to some important background people , and some true facts built in [[I once again I refer to the Jersey Boys) then I might reconsider.
BTW any New Yorker on here recommend a good CD shop for 60s/70s Soul Music NY?

jobeterob
09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, we should all go because we all love Motown.

Yes, Diana, Berry, Smokey, Stevie will go; as will Martha, Mary & Cindy, the Andantes, HDH etc.

Yes, it will be about the music and there will be a story line.

Yes, it will be a hit.

milven
09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I hope that those in charge go to see JERSEY BOYS and try to emulate what it has done. . There seems to be a lot of speculation in our posts as to what will and what won't be in this show. At this point, we don't even know the time line of the book. It may end before artists like the Jackson 5 or the replacement Supremes even arrive. My guess is that artists that will be spotlighted are Smokey ,Martha, the Marvelettes, Diana, Mary Wells, Marvin, possibly David and Eddie. Having sat through over 1000 Broadway productions, I am assuming that some chorus people will be playing multiple parts. So the same actor may appear as a Supreme, a Marvelette, a Vandella, a Miracle and also sing background behind Mary Wells, Marvin or Stevie.

Having said that, some people on this board will be better off not going to this because it will not meet their expectations

marybrewster
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
The bottom line is: this is Mr. Gordy's "Motown"; Diana Ross has had her chance to tell her story, Mary Wilson has had her chance to tell her story, Martha Reeves has had her chance to tell her story, Otis Williams has had his chance to tell his story. There are numerous books on Florence Ballard, The Supremes, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, the Andantes, the Marvelettes, and an upcoming book on Mary Wells.

This show is intended for a broad audience, not just Motown fans. Naturally there will be omissions. And for the know-it-alls, there will be factual errors. But this is Broadway, baby!

My opinion is that the main focus will be on Diana and Michael. Naturally, you'll have Marvin, Smokey, maybe even Lionel. I'm sure that the Supremes, the Vandellas and the Marvelettes, along with the Tempts and the Tops will be represented, but as I mentioned above, this is going to come out the way Berry wants it to. And in through his eyes, we all know how the story goes and the story ends.

But for the audience they are hoping to reach, it will be more about the music than who created it.

Roberta75
09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
The bottom line is: this is Mr. Gordy's "Motown"; Diana Ross has had her chance to tell her story, Mary Wilson has had her chance to tell her story, Martha Reeves has had her chance to tell her story, Otis Williams has had his chance to tell his story. There are numerous books on Florence Ballard, The Supremes, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, the Andantes, the Marvelettes, and an upcoming book on Mary Wells.

This show is intended for a broad audience, not just Motown fans. Naturally there will be omissions. And for the know-it-alls, there will be factual errors. But this is Broadway, baby!

My opinion is that the main focus will be on Diana and Michael. Naturally, you'll have Marvin, Smokey, maybe even Lionel. I'm sure that the Supremes, the Vandellas and the Marvelettes, along with the Tempts and the Tops will be represented, but as I mentioned above, this is going to come out the way Berry wants it to. And in through his eyes, we all know how the story goes and the story ends.

But for the audience they are hoping to reach, it will be more about the music than who created it.

Well said marybrewster. You are the voice of reason.

Best personal regards.

Roberta

mirage
09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Hey Mirage

You may be entirely right about Berry Gordy. I have no issue assuming for the time being you are right.

But buying into all of that, it has nothing to do with his Broadway show.

Perhaps it shouldnt be a hit because of some of his ethics; perhaps it shouldn't be a hit because it will not call by name the Vandellas, the Andantes, the Supremes etc., other than by their group name, because it will not name any producers etc.

But it WILL be...............because it's about the music and a time and some few people that were very successful. And the world WILL want to hear that music and a happy show.

I'm sure the story of Columbia, Epic, Chess, Stax, RCA, and all the others has some immoral, unethical, sad moments too; and I'm sure Berry Gordy stepped on some toes, crapped on others, kicked lazy asses, and even did not pay money that by today's standards now is regarded as unfair ~ but none of that will make any difference to the success of this musical.

And I also see that this will rub salt in a few wounds. I'm sorry to see and hear that and I believe some of you. And I don't know why Berry would want to wash Detroit out of his blood. But he is getting to be an old man who likely only bothers focussing on a few things.

This has HIT written all over it.
__________________________________________________ ____
Broadway Berry’sMotown tribute show will be successful because it immortalizes the MotownSound; not the man. Snippets of Gordy’slife from his “To Be Loved” book …are supposedly going to play into his tribute show – soit’s a tribute show with a “Mr. Gordy’s” spin. Fact is HIS spin is quite the story-telling.
Deep-pocket Sony execs know that this tribute show will makethem money.
As far as Gordy … and his clinging coat tail disciples …what more can you say about former deadbeat Detroiters who grace their formerhometown only when American Idol comes knocking or to raise fast cash for allthe Motown Historical Museum’s non-upgrades and updates. When is the last time the Museum actually providedsomething noteworthy to its community through any kind of major outreach programming? Maybe the museum can open up as a soupkitchen or Goodwill store … at least it will return something to Detroiters.
Let’s see $10,000 per ticket for the martini crowd to listento McCartney/Gordy [[NYC) in their second-hand piano debut … how much of that “cash”will actually make it back to the dilapidated museum coffers since their piano fundraiserfizzled. Cheers!
The “Hitsville” story may yet unfold as who knows what financialledgers, documents, files and “certain” links to “certain” individuals andpersonal notes were left behind in an unlocked, abandoned building by theMotown entourage who didn’t even bother to say a proper Goodbye Detroit beforeblowing town. Truth is always the best defense.
As far as Broadway Gordy’s bright lights, every Motown fanloves a tribute show no matter where it plays or who the unknown performersmight be. It’s the music! And music makes money. I do hope that many Motown alumni [[other thanthose mentioned) that are still living and were part of building Motown withGordy in those early days are granted a personal invite by Mr. Gordy to attendthe premiere. It is the right thing todo and maybe the least he can do for a bunch of kids who are now all grown-up. What say you … Mr. Gordy? Is it worth your effort to hand out a fewmore tickets?
Will it be a hit? Guess by Sony standards … It will be.

jobeterob
09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/6/T...rding-industry

That should be the link to the CBC Documentary on the recording industry.

The last show talks about the screwing over that even Michael Jackson got at his peak from Sony and all the costs, charges, research fees etc., they were recovering from him and how he might have decided for a while never to record for them again.

And now they have nothing to sell because nobody under 30 will pay for music anymore unless it's at a concert.

Jimi LaLumia
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM
guess you don't visit the itunes chart too often.. do you think that over 30's bought 12 million Lady GaGa singles last year? ..or almost 4 million digital copies of "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen?..singles outsell digital albums, but millions of digital albums [[including Classic Motown) are sold on itunes every month..

jobeterob
09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Yes, but it's still only a drop in the water compared to what sales used to be.

Most of the music is simply stolen.........or downloaded..........or used for a while........or whatever they are calling it these days.

smark21
09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I see several people are staking a claim that Motown the Musical will be a guaranteed hit. While I think it has a good chance to hit, I don’t think it’s a guarantee. Motown 50 was a big fizzle. Also, oldies radio has played certain Motown songs down to the ground over the years and some of these same songs have popped up on way too many soundtracks, commercials, and contestant performances on shows like American Idol and The Voice. So there may be Motown fatigue out there.

On the other hand, oldies radio has been phasing out 60s songs for the past few years now, so maybe some of the overplayed songs have been given a chance to “breathe”, so to speak.

I don’t think this show will be groundbreaking theater. But then groundbreaking theater rarely occurs on Broadway anymore…too much money is invested by corporate types. And the main audience for most Broadway shows are tourists. What will make Motown the Musical a hit, both at the box office and with those who love musicals, will be the entertainment values and showmanship put into the production. Great songs well performed and excitingly arranged and cleverly deployed in the show with fun costumes and stage effects and you’ll have a hit. And anyone expecting a detailed fact oriented stage documentary or a book that will depict Berry and Diana’s atrocities and crimes against humanity will be severely disappointed.

jobeterob
09-12-2012, 09:31 PM
And anyone expecting a detailed fact oriented stage documentary or a book that will depict Berry and Diana’s atrocities and crimes against humanity will be severely disappointed.[/QUOTE]

We must be talking crimes against Mar.................hold on, that's Marv!

REDHOT
09-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Again this play put's Motown back on the map,back in the spotlight,front center,a lot of young people will get the chance to know Motown music,and Motown History,i'm happy that Mr.Gordy is behind this play,love it,and
Please stay positive

Jimi LaLumia
09-12-2012, 11:21 PM
and front and center in all of it will be...
***************DIANA ROSS!*********************

Roberta75
09-13-2012, 02:18 PM
The lovely Miss Mary Wilson is giving Berry Gordy's Broadway Musical a nice plug on her website. http://marywilson.com/

Roberta

Roberta75
09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Again this play put's Motown back on the map,back in the spotlight,front center,a lot of young people will get the chance to know Motown music,and Motown History,i'm happy that Mr.Gordy is behind this play,love it,and
Please stay positive

I'm with you dear REDHOT. I am positive that this musical will be a big hit.

Roberta

StuBass1
09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
I expect Mr Gordys Motown Musical to be quite successful and no, I don't believe he needs to use the project to explain to anyone whatever business decisions he made over the course of his career as regards his record company. The man is in his 80's and is entitled to celebrate his accomplishments in any way he sees fit and tell the Motown story as he sees it and wants people to remember it. To use an overused phrase in todays political lexicon...HE BUILT IT. Anyone wishing to tell a different story is entitled to write a script, secure financing, and get it produced...otherwise...STFU. If people don't like the finished product they will not support it and it will not be a success.

jobeterob
09-13-2012, 05:33 PM
A helluva good post Stu. Sounded like a lawyer letter except for the STFU line. Very well put.

MaryB.......glad to hear MaryW is giving the Musical a plug.

All Motown fans should be happy for all of this; it could be one of the last Hurrahs.

marv2
09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
And anyone expecting a detailed fact oriented stage documentary or a book that will depict Berry and Diana’s atrocities and crimes against humanity will be severely disappointed.

We must be talking crimes against Mar.................hold on, that's Marv![/QUOTE]

I am in Detroit right now. I getting ready to go out for drinks. I'll let you know if anyone is even talking about this show. Duh? LOL!!!

StuBass1
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
A helluva good post Stu. Sounded like a lawyer letter except for the STFU line. Very well put.

MaryB.......glad to hear MaryW is giving the Musical a plug.

All Motown fans should be happy for all of this; it could be one of the last Hurrahs.

Hi Rob...

Just that I was in Detroit and visited the Motown Museum a few weeks ago. A good friend from my college days is CEO of the museum and they're doing some terrific things there for the legacy and history of Motown as an integral and unique part of Detroits history. As for Mr Gordys musical project...I've know people out here in L.A., including several visits with Mr Valli personally over the past several years, and I'm really pleased to say that Franki's take over this whole Jersey Boys thing is greater than what he earned throughout the entire rest of his career. He's a really stand up guy and I'm happy to see the success...not just financial, but also for the legacy of just what he did back in the day towards the evolution of popular music. I'm glad that Berry Gordy now has the opportunity to do the same thing for just what he did. It's a phenomonal story.

milven
09-14-2012, 09:18 AM
..I've know people out here in L.A., including several visits with Mr Valli personally over the past several years, and I'm really pleased to say that Franki's take over this whole Jersey Boys thing is greater than what he earned throughout the entire rest of his career. He's a really stand up guy and I'm happy to see the success...not just financial, but also for the legacy of just what he did back in the day towards the evolution of popular music. I'm glad that Berry Gordy now has the opportunity to do the same thing for just what he did. It's a phenomonal story.

JERSEY BOYS has done a lot to revitalize the career of Frankie and the 4 Seasons. And he will actually be competing with JERSEY BOYS for a week when he performs on the Broadway Stage for a week.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons on Broadway
Broadway Theatre

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the singing group chronicled in the Tony-winning musical Jersey Boys, makes its Broadway debut in this limited-run concert event.

Synopsis:
The legendary singing group brings its classic music to Broadway for a seven-performance engagement.

Show Dates:
Performances from 19 Oct 2012
Closing 27 Oct 2012

mirage
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi Rob...

Just that I was in Detroit and visited the Motown Museum a few weeks ago. A good friend from my college days is CEO of the museum and they're doing some terrific things there for the legacy and history of Motown as an integral and unique part of Detroits history. As for Mr Gordys musical project...I've know people out here in L.A., including several visits with Mr Valli personally over the past several years, and I'm really pleased to say that Franki's take over this whole Jersey Boys thing is greater than what he earned throughout the entire rest of his career. He's a really stand up guy and I'm happy to see the success...not just financial, but also for the legacy of just what he did back in the day towards the evolution of popular music. I'm glad that Berry Gordy now has the opportunity to do the same thing for just what he did. It's a phenomonal story.
I find posterstelling other posters on this site to STFU amusing. The closeBroadwayBerry fan club [[Who alsomight be card-bearing members of the elite Motown Alumni Association [[MAA)?)seems to forget that unless you’re God…you don’t create alone.
Motown wasconceived by Gordy, but he certainly did not go it alone as he built the Motownlabel during its critical formative years. Hell, Americastill had dual-labeled water fountains. Motown’s cross over sound required the entertainers, the musicians andkey Motown folks to create the fledging record label as a collective group – oras a family. Theysold it together. Obviously, BB’s memoryonly goes back to his LA Limo days. Andnot everyone wants to hang on to BB’s tuxedo coattails. Some Motown kids have simply wantedacknowledgement and respect as having been part of the Motown family.
To assume thatBroadway Berry’s bountiful blessings to the world will be more than the Motownmusic itself would be asking too much of an old man in his eighties stilltrying “To Be Loved”. Again, BB can tell HIS version of HIS storyhis way. Story telling is an artform. And it also helps to have hadUniversal as a former backer; and now Sony.
But, BB’s storyis considered a historically inaccurate version of Motown history according tosome university scholars and others who study Motown in its rawest form.
It is alsorather comical that some posters have to mention their “thiscloseconnections”as a way of stating their own self-importance to Motown whether they were everrelevant or not. I find being low-keyis the best-key. [[Although - not a 2ndhand piano key.)
Again, the Motown HistoricalMuseum is a thirty-something lifeless,rundown house that has been under the direction of an ineffective group ofboard members that have allowed it to deteriorate and contribute to Detroit’s inner-cityblight. Where has all that Motownmuseum grant, fundraising and Universal money gone? Financial accountability and oversight …where is it? It certainly has not shownup in the exterior/interior/inventory or educational and outreach programs forthe citizens of Detroit.
There are manyreal people who are touched by Motown music … but never touched by the elusiveBB’s selective Motown magic memory.
Didn’t the Motown Museumbuild or buy a restaurant somewhere at one time? And to hurriedly abandon buildings … andleave important Motown history and ledgers behind has always been troubling andpuzzling. It’s a good thing that theDetroit Historical Society’s trustees are better at inventory and financialaccountability because Detroit’smusic scene needs preservation of its past; and elevation of its future as acompetitive music entertainment city. Maybe the Motown Museumcan be donated to the Detroit Historical Society.
I do want toreiterate that the Motown tribute show will make money … most of the qualityrun Motown tribute shows with a similar non-storyline or same storyline makemoney.
So, let BroadwayBarry’s storyline compost pile form in the front of the theatre. Most people will know not to step in it andsimply enjoy the music.

jobeterob
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Totally agree with Mirage on the MAA ~ just another coattails group that contributes nothing. And I'm sure it has nothing to do with Berry Gordy.

StuBass1
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
LOL...STFU was not intended for any specific poster here or anywhere else...just anyone who believes they have the Motown story right but not the time, inclination, backing, or ability to tell the story better than the man who started it all and was there every step of the way. Certainly others have written books, tried to do films [[SITSOM for example told a compelling story) and otherwise advanced their stories and involvement in Motown...so I say instead of bitching about Berry Gordy telling the story from his perspective...tell YOUR story or STFU. If your version is not commercially accepted...so be it...then nobody obviously cares. Two things everybody has...opinions and a** holes.

As far as the Museum...granted it's not the Smithsonian, but during my recent visit it brought back many fond memories and contained a lot of the feel and vibe from back in the day. It was a terrific experience, especially seeing the children, grandchildren, and many other relatives of the original people who worked at Hitsville back in the day taking part and pride in the facility. Those houses were NEVER the Taj Mahal...but of few tiny houses that made music history and they are in a very good state as of this day. Lamont Doziers daughter videotaped our entire visit and tour as we spoke of what went on there back in the day and what was going on all around the city as a result of Mr Gordys efforts on West Grand Blvd. Berry Gordy is someone to be celebrated for his success and giving the opportunity for success to so many...whether some of those individuals were ready to accept the responsibility for that success or not. He did the city proud with a minimal financial investment and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. MANY others tried and failed to accomplish a fraction of what Berry Gordy did. Perhaps the naysayers could write a play about some of those folks.

StuBass1
09-14-2012, 05:01 PM
JERSEY BOYS has done a lot to revitalize the career of Frankie and the 4 Seasons. And he will actually be competing with JERSEY BOYS for a week when he performs on the Broadway Stage for a week.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons on Broadway
Broadway Theatre

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the singing group chronicled in the Tony-winning musical Jersey Boys, makes its Broadway debut in this limited-run concert event.

Synopsis:
The legendary singing group brings its classic music to Broadway for a seven-performance engagement.

Show Dates:
Performances from 19 Oct 2012
Closing 27 Oct 2012

I suspect that Frankie and the groups appearance on Broadway will only serve to enhance the Jersey Boys shows and vice versa. Frankie and Bob Gaudio own virtually the entire Four Seasons catalogue. Ca-Ching

mirage
09-15-2012, 10:38 AM
You have managed to tell us from your posts that you areaging; moved from Detroit to LA; you are one of Broadway Barry’s loyaldisciples; you like to visit family [[including grandchildren) in what is leftof Detroit; stop into “Grand” Old Hitsville because it looks like the same asit did 50+ years ago[[because it is the same although some cheap paint has beenslapped on it); attended college - either Howard or Harvard with Interim MotownMuseum CEO & astute Board Treasurer,Allen Rawls [[friend); and you like to drop as many names to link yourself toother Broadway Barry names as a way of communicating to us that you areimportant by association; and the “To Be Loved” Sony production is going to bea huge Broadway-Jersey Boys type tribute success story and will pay homage toBB His way. Guess that about sums upyour posts.
Psychiatrists say that as we get older that our consciencebecomes reactive and we attempt to right past wrongs; mellow out; try to changethe world by becoming a humanitarian; and we rediscover God. However, these same docs also state thatother aging individuals cling to their real or imagined personas; inflatedself-importance and egos; become more self-absorbed; and desire more self-adulationas they upload birthdays; and they talk about God as if he were an extension ofthemselves.
People either mellow out as they get older or they need tosign up for a “Charlie Sheen” anger management course.
Each of us creates the patterns in our lives at everystage. To seek justice even for one isto seek justice for all. BB and his mobof disciples have not played well with the Motown family since new personnelshowed up at Motown one day packing a more direct approach to handling BB’sMotown business matters. Success,millions and maybe a “forced” move to LA left Detroiters and a Motown family ofentertainers wondering what the “hell” happened to Detroit’s happy family.
Perhaps the “harmony” in the Donovan building was controlledby someone other than BB. The murky Detroit River smells pretty foul sometimes.
How does a museum with all its entertainment connections,federal-state-city grant monies, sold-out fundraisers backed by sponsor dollarsand in-house tourist and other revenues account for where its money has beeninvested since it became a museum and designated Detroit historical landmark?
No question - The Motown Historical Museum looks just like itdid over 50 years ago; but it’s less exciting to visit than when Motownentertainers and musicians actually made music there and held impromptu jamsessions. This is 2013 and the musicindustry is not 1960. Kids want morethan a nostalgic run-down former Motown house to stroll through; they want avibrant music place to have jam sessions. They want to imagine and create more music to add to the myth of the DetroitSound.
This sounds like an educational community outreach program.
Did I ever state in a post that I dropped by Detroit and Hitsville to see that there is no“Harmony” in that particular park? Did Ialso mention that while touring West Grand Boulevard, I visited the Motown Historical Museum on a Sunday withan associate and it was closed; attended a costly sold-out fundraiser only todiscover that it actually took a major financial “hit” instead of producing a hit?
Next time I visit the outdated and decrepit museum, maybe I’llsee if God is available to video-tape the walk-through. I think He has a pretty big marquee name toshow that I’m well connected.
Thanks to whomever runs this site for allowing myself andothers to vent here. I can now cancel myanger management session scheduled for next week. Thanks.
Sorry I can’t get the run together words from straying intoeach other. I’ll figure it out when Ihave time.
Agree with Robert’s MAA comment. And agree that Berry Gordy deserves what hegets. Cha-ching.

StuBass1
09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Geez...If it's me you're referring to...all I really said was that it's terrific that Mr Gordy is getting the opportunity to tell his amazing story from his own perspective. Anyone wishing to tell the Motown story from their perspective is welcome to do the same..but don't just sit there and bitch about the fact that Mr Gordy got The Neiderlander family to give his musical a shot at their theatre.

I did have a very enjoyable visit to The Motown Museum and recommend it to music fans who happen to live in or plan on visiting Detroit, and yes, Allen R is a friend and it was terrific visiting with him and his hosting us at the museum.

You sound quite bitter about ANYONE leaving Detroit for greener pasteurs...sorta like you got left behind...Sorry about that.

As for name dropping...just name mentioning. Also spent a great afternoon with Funk Brother Joe Messina back there talking music, Motown, and life in general.

As for the rest of your post...I really didn't understand much of the gobble de gook you wrote so I really can't comment on all of that. You sound quite angry and bitter. Sorry about that too.

Roberta75
09-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Geez...If it's me you're referring to...all I really said was that it's terrific that Mr Gordy is getting the opportunity to tell his amazing story from his own perspective. Anyone wishing to tell the Motown story from their perspective is welcome to do the same..but don't just sit there and bitch about the fact that Mr Gordy got The Neiderlander family to give his musical a shot at their theatre.

I did have a very enjoyable visit to The Motown Museum and recommend it to music fans who happen to live in or plan on visiting Detroit, and yes, Allen R is a friend and it was terrific visiting with him and his hosting us at the museum.

You sound quite bitter about ANYONE leaving Detroit for greener pasteurs...sorta like you got left behind...Sorry about that.

As for name dropping...just name mentioning. Also spent a great afternoon with Funk Brother Joe Messina back there talking music, Motown, and life in general.

As for the rest of your post...I really didn't understand much of the gobble de gook you wrote so I really can't comment on all of that. You sound quite angry and bitter. Sorry about that too.

Sadly, Marvage seems terribly bitter and apears to have a very unhealthy obsession with both Mr. Berry Gordy and the Motown Historical Museum.

I think it may be time to stick Mirage on ignore.

Best regards,

Roberta

StuBass1
09-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Geez Roberta...Ya Think???

Roberta75
09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Geez Roberta...Ya Think???

LOL StuBass1.

Yes. I've already placed dear Mirage on ignore.

Roberta

mirage
09-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Sadly, Marvage seems terribly bitter and apears to have a very unhealthy obsession with both Mr. Berry Gordy and the Motown Historical Museum.

I think it may be time to stick Mirage on ignore.

Best regards,

Roberta

This reply is for Marv… sincere apologies. You are being accused by “Roberta” of being me. I’m sure I would never meet your standards.
Obviously, there are some raw nerves out there when Motown is discussed from a purely “accountability” assessment. There is no problem with anyone making money and providing jobs to the real Motown family or tribute artists.

Integrity is always at issue when money changes hands. Wanting the best for Detroit and its citizens is a positive motive. Unfortunately, I neither claim Detroit as home or as a city I have never left.

I consider myself an equalizer of circumstances for a cityt hat needs a nonprofit museum that actually is proactive within its community.

And a Museum with such a glorified music history should fight for the same. 1985to 2012 … [[nothing but architect renderings of a dream that vanished with its funds)

It took Paul McCartney’s visit and funding to refurbish a 2ndtier Motown piano … Gordy and his Museum minions never gave it a second thought as it sat ready to be Donovan dumped. It took a Beatle to breathe new life into it while creating headlines and a $10,000 NYC Museum Fundraiser that raised an “undisclosed amount” for the Museum. Harmonies do repeatthemselves. A
“cool” million dollars+ to benefit the Museum?

Bitterness about Gordy – tickles my ivories. What I find reprehensible is a pattern of financial Museum mismanagement and morally objectionable behavior toward former Motown alumni and a city already facing blight and flight.

Defensive replies are atypical and so-expected. Vested/connected interests always ignore and denythe facts and deflect the truth.

Where is the DetroitNews or Freep when a real unbiased journalist is needed to delve into the possibility that the Motown Museum may have lost millions during its nonprofit life span? How much does it cost to slap paint on an old house by its maintenance man? Or place a refurbished piano paid for by a former Beatle in a room? How many educational outreach programs to schools has the Museum funded?

Hell,what ever happened to the “Harmonie” handouts or the Motown 50 Gala fundraiser where big names and glitz were to bring the Museum funds to renovate, expand or do something?

Perhaps, the local Detroit journalists are cleaning out a dusty record bin for a review; writing a book; or maybe they are posting on a site under assumed aliases? Wait…no ethical journalist writingfor a major city daily would be posting here – it’s a conflict of interest.

Amusing - A name dropper thinks of himself as a name mentionerand considers 35+ years of Museum math “gobblede gook”. “Mr. Gordy got The Neiderlander family togive his musical a shot at their theatre” – Sony dollars did that for him. Rent money is a major motivator.

Appreciate that someposters have put me on Blocked and Locked. It says a lot about the company I don’t keep.

jobeterob
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
We can understand Roberta mixing the two names, if indeed she did.

Mirage is bitter over Berry Gordy's success. Marvage is bitter over Diana Ross's success.

I'm sure there are others who share the views, but there are few who publicly espouse it.

You made your point. I don't see that much will ever be done about it. It points out that there remains many disaffected ex-Motowners around.

jobeterob
09-20-2012, 06:47 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Win-a-AN-EXCLUSIVE-FIRST-LOOK-AT-MOTOWN-THE-MUSICAL-Contest-Ends-Tomorrow-20120920

Roberta75
09-20-2012, 10:24 PM
We can understand Roberta mixing the two names, if indeed she did.

Mirage is bitter over Berry Gordy's success. Marvage is bitter over Diana Ross's success.

I'm sure there are others who share the views, but there are few who publicly espouse it.

You made your point. I don't see that much will ever be done about it. It points out that there remains many disaffected ex-Motowners around.

What did I confuse? Now I'm confused. LOL

Roberta

mirage
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
What did I confuse? Now I'm confused. LOL

Roberta

The accomplishment of what Gordy achieved through hisembarking on a difficult quest that created his Motown record label shouldnever be diminished by anyone. It was anextraordinary achievement during an extraordinary time in American history byan African-American man. Gordyenvisioned music as a way to unify rather than divide people. Motown music broke through the water fountainline.

Making money is certainly not a crime. Money is a great motivator.

Those who are bitter toward Gordy or someone in his innercircle, about having been slighted by them in some way, whether real orperceived, need to get over it and redirect that animosity toward positivechange in the music scene and Detroit.

Once upon a time, Gordy may have been a good man with goodintentions. A once well-intentioned mansometimes replaces those good intentions with indifference, ego and the needfor adulation.

The difference between a good man and a great man is theability to grow-up and grow-into a man that not only wants To Be Loved, but can return love.

If a man can graciously take credit for what heaccomplishes, but is also capable of taking criticism for past indiscretions;he may become a great man.

If a man is able to reunite both his real and extendedfamilies after leaving them behind for whatever reason; he may yet become agreat man.

A great man redeems himself when he owns what he did; makesamends for what he did and to whom he did it. Gordy might start by taking out his old musty Motown rolodex. It doesn’t have to be public; it only has tobe personal.

What Gordy left behind in the rubble of the Donovan building[[other than a very long paper trail &
a future Best Seller) was his personal integrity and moral,if not ethical, obligations. To Gordy’scredit, maybe the way he moved up and out of Detroit to LA, was not actually his decisionto make alone. Maybe he was shoved inthat direction.

Motown family members and the City of Detroit didn’t care that Gordy wanted to moveup; they cared about how he made his move up without ever saying a polite andgracious good-bye.

Gordy is Detroitborn and bred. Most of the originalMotowners are Detroit. The people and the City shared Gordy’spassion and dream. Gordy, Motown and theMotor City grew up together.

Detroitcontinues to pay its respect to Broadway Gordy every time he enters the City tothrow a party. Whether that party evermakes money for anything other than the party is questionable.

Detroithas been left with nothing but an old Museum in disrepair [[never updated,expanded or modernized for the future).

It even took a former Beatle to provide his money to restorea second hand throw-away Steinway. McCartney is the Motown hero; Gordy, only a press release forMcCartney’s random act of kindness.

The NYC Steinway event raised a few dollars. Maybe the Museum can build a bust of BB ormaybe it can hire an outside independent accountant to do a “review” of itsnonprofit books. It was a nice NYC dayfor the event.

Motown the Musical is not a legacy. It’s a musical based upon a soundtrack thatdefines it. Motown music is thelegacy. The physical legacy that definesGordy in Detroit is the Motown Historical Museum.Gordy must be very proud.

President Reagan’s signature phrase was, “Trust, but verify”. A museum is a legacy built upon trust butthat trust needs to be verifiable.

Good men are many; great men are few. Nothing really more to say.

Touché’ on the raffle for preview tickets to BB’s MotownMusical starring tribute artists. It’s apoor man’s dream. [[not included transportation, NYC Hotel, meals, cabs) Quite a bargain.

Pass on it. Back to someweekend reading.

jobeterob
09-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Sounds like Miss Ray maybe!

smark21
09-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Bits of the proposed show were performed the other night. Here’s a report:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/2012/09/motown_the_musi_1.php

smark21
09-29-2012, 04:29 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-Meet-the-Cast-and-Creative-Team-of-MOTOW\
N-Plus-an-Exclusive-Interview-with-Aretha-Franklin-20120928#sthash.XkKoqgEr.dpbs [[http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-Meet-the-Cast-and-Creative-Team-of-MOTOWN-Plus-an-Exclusive-Interview-with-Aretha-Franklin-20120928#sthash.XkKoqgEr.dpbs)

Roberta75
09-30-2012, 10:06 AM
http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-Meet-the-Cast-and-Creative-Team-of-MOTOW\
N-Plus-an-Exclusive-Interview-with-Aretha-Franklin-20120928#sthash.XkKoqgEr.dpbs [[http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-Meet-the-Cast-and-Creative-Team-of-MOTOWN-Plus-an-Exclusive-Interview-with-Aretha-Franklin-20120928#sthash.XkKoqgEr.dpbs)

Very nice indeed smark. I wonder why Martha Reeves wasn't at this event? Anyone know who is portraying Martha Reeves the First Lady of Motown Records in the musical?

Thank you again.

Roberta

mirage
10-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Very nice indeed smark. I wonder why Martha Reeves wasn't at this event? Anyone know who is portraying Martha Reeves the First Lady of Motown Records in the musical?

Thank you again.

Roberta

Roberta – Sorry you didn’t get one of the gildedinvites. Better luck next time. Maybe you could call or email Herb Strather’sfriend, Susan Whitall, a Detroit News reporter, and ask her why Martha wasn’tby BB’s side.

But, then again Whitall obviously didn’t garner a covetedmedia invite either. She was AWOL. Norwas Billy Wilson of the fake Motown Alumni Association there. Maybe you and Billy could coordinate yourticket purchase and travel to the Big Apple together when “Motown the Musical”officially opens in the Spring.

If you want to find out about Martha or other invited guestswho were at the premiere, you might want to contact Brian McCollum, Detroit Free press reporter,who showed up for BB’s sleek peek of his honestlyenchanting bedtime story. Don’tknow how he managed to get an invite, but he was there along with other invitedmusic journalists. You guessed itRoberta, it was for media too.

Maybe McCollum is related to the other McCollum who is oneof the producers of the show. Not sure.
Didn’t ask.

Hell, I would give you a recap on who was or wasn’t presentand include a detailed account of the post afterglow soirée, but whybother. It’s always “the same old song”with Broadway Berryand the mob that star-trek after him. Detroit to LA toNYC…

One suggestion for the opening performance of this honestly brilliant music story isthat you follow BB as he drives an expensive Chrysler taxpayer bailout car from Detroitto LA to NYC. Ford didn’t use bailoutmoney to keep its cars running. So BBand Chrysler are a perfect fit for this PR drive.

Note: The Motown music is worth the price of the ticketwhether you can afford a ticket to see it on Broadway [[hotel-dining-transportationexpenses separate) or see a similar Motown tribute show in a local communityvenue. It’s the music that sells theshow; not the mystique of BB and the clingy mob that he simply can’t shake asthey follow him.

You only have to listen to BB’s best friend, Smokey, speakabout Berryon a NYC Broadway stage to get all teary-bleary eyed.

Hope this helps you locate Miss Martha’s whereabouts.

skooldem1
10-05-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BxMYAWRnwM

jobeterob
10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Thank you Skooldem. Great interview.

jobeterob
10-10-2012, 05:22 PM

There is an interview with Berry Gordy here.

MrTopCat
10-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I am really excited about this musical. If I am lucky, I will get to see it next year/summer.

skooldem1
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Here is a new clip that shows some of the on stage performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAJFno2ijo0

skooldem1
10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
To those that have seen the Jersey Boys, do they just use the music that made them famous, or did they also include new songs? I'm curious to know if Motown the Musical will just use Motown's famous songs, or if new songs have been written to help with the development of the storyline.

milven
10-10-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't remember any original songs written for the show, just Four Seasons songs and also some songs of the period like, Silhouettes and My Boyfriends Back.

Also saw Baby It's You, which had no original songs, just Shirelles, other Scepter acts and songs of the period like You're So Fine, Our Day Will Come, and even You've Really Got a Hold On Me. Critics did not like the show. I did. And I am confident that I will enjoy Motown the Musical for what it is, a musical about the life of Berry and his label. It is not a documentary.

REDHOT
10-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Who's playing Supremes Mary Wilson Florence Ballard or Cindy Birdsong?
Please stay positive

milven
10-11-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't know, but sometimes some of the actors play various roles so it is possible that an actor may appear as a Supreme, a Vandella, a Marvellette etc. Of course, not Diana or Martha or other lead singers :)

From the little that I know about this show, that may not happen here since some of the groups will have to appear together at the same time on stage - like maybe the Motown Revue or the Apollo. Anyhow, they're spendng enough money on this show, so they should have individual actors for each group instead of interchangeable actors

jobeterob
10-11-2012, 02:06 AM
I would agree; I don't think there will be a lot of interchangeable actors. But I think they made clear the story is centred on Berry, Diana, Smokey, Marvin, Stevie, & Michael.

jobeterob
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Previous Hot 100 Maroon 5 stays on top
Billboard 200 Mumford & Sons top again
R&B Songs Rihanna shines bright
Country Songs Taylor Swift rocks
Rap Songs PSY rules with 'Style'
Rap Albums Kanye's GOOD Music tops
Adult Pop Songs P!nk's 'Blow Me' is No. 1
R&B/Hip-Hop Albums Miguel takes the lead

Here is an item from Billboard.com you should enjoy. Click on the link below to check it out.

Your message has been sent ! Close

Motown is coming to Broadway. ' Motown: The Musical,' opening on April 14, is bringing the legacy of Motown founder Berry Gordy to New York City's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.

Berry Gordy Starts Motown

The musical will showcase interweaving stories of Gordy and the artist careers he's helped launch, including Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and more.

The launch event of the anticipated production brought out stars for a sneak peek performance. Aretha Franklin, Smokey Robinson, L.A. Reid, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Marcus Canty, and more attended.

"For years people said if I didn't do something live, real, on broadway, I should see a psychiatrist and so I am here," Gordy joked at the event.

"Motown: The Musical" opens on April 14 and runs through June 22. Previews for the show will begin on March 11.

jobeterob
10-11-2012, 06:09 PM
HomeShows Restaurants NewsDiscountsJobs< Previous Next >

Motown — The Musical
Company: Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy
Category: Performer

Paid: yes

Description:

Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy | New York, NY

Contract
Production [[League)
$1,754/week minimum

Personnel
Producers: Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy
Dir: Charles Randolph-Wright
Casting: Telsey + Company / Bethany Knox

Other Dates
LUNT FONTANE THEATRE [[NYC)
1st Rehearsal: on/about January 14, 2013
1st Preview: on/about March 11, 2013

Other
Music Super: Ethan Popp
Choreog: Patricia Wilcox and Warren Adams
General Mngt: Bespoke Theatricals

Seeking
Strong Male and Female Actor/ singers for a new musical
Book: Berry Gordy
Music and Lyrics: Various Motown composers
See Breakdown!

Breakdown
SEEKING:

[LITTLE MICHAEL JACKSON] Male, ages 8-11. Also plays Little Stevie Wonder and Young Berry Gordy. Must be charismatic and have a great high tenor singing voice, like Michael Jackson in “I Want You Back.” ALSO SEEKING UNDERSTUDY. [[PRINCIPAL ROLE)

[MARVIN GAYE] Male, 20s, to portray the physical and vocal likeness of Marvin Gaye. Must have a fantastic soaring high tenor singing voice. Should also move/dance well. [[PRINCIPAL ROLE)

[SMOKEY ROBINSON] Male, 20s, to portray the physical and vocal likeness of Smokey Robinson. Must have a fantastic soaring high tenor singing voice. Should also move/dance well. [[PRINCIPAL ROLE)

[FEMALE SINGERS] African-American, females, 20s, attractive with a slender build. Must be 5’4” to 5’8”, move very well and have an amazing pop singing voice to cover Diana Ross and others. [[FEATURED ENSEMBLE ROLE)

[MALE BASS] African-American, male, 20s. Attractive with a solid low C and must also move well. [[FEATURED ENSEMBLE ROLE)

Appointments
Open Call

Response Method[[s):
At Audition
Audition Date:
Saturday, November 10th, 2012
10 AM – 2 PM
Sign in begins at 9 AM
Unofficial sign-up lists will NOT be honored
ߦ A monitor will not be provided. The producer will run all aspects of this audition.

Audition Notes:
Prepare a Motown song; show range. Bring sheet music in the correct key; an accompanist will be provided, but may not transpose. Please bring a photo and resume, stapled back-to-back.

6817 Franklin Ave
Hollywood, CA
At Franklin Avenue & North Highland Avenue

jobeterob
10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
There are 6 principal parts - Berry, Diana, Michael, Marvin, Stevie & Smokey.

I'm there will be shoutouts to other acts and other artists and people and their songs; but the main story is going to be about those 6 people.

Mary Wilson is advertising Motown the Musical on her website, appears to have been invited to the opening and appears to be going.

Probably some fans of the less well known Motown artists will be disappointed but they'll be about the only ones. It was only because Motown was so successful that there is such interest in the backup singers, musicians, producers, writers and everyone involved
in all aspects of Motown.

skooldem1
10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL - AUDIENCE REACTIONS

They even recreate a scene from M25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FwWIzw4mXE

jobeterob
10-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Excellent. A hit already.

skooldem1
10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I read an article today about the preview show. I won't post it because it had to many factual errors. One thing that was interesting, and it was something I had suspected. A major theme of this musical is the romance between Diana and Berry. They mentioned something about Paris. They said the play was basically a "love story" and that even though Berry doesn't sing, his character and the Diana Ross character sing Marvin and Tammi duets to each other.

milven
10-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Well of course Berry will sing. It is a musical. And I think you answered an earlier question posted by someone else. It appears that they will use the music, not only by the singers and groups in concert; but to also move the story along in song.

Roberta75
10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
I read an article today about the preview show. I won't post it because it had to many factual errors. One thing that was interesting, and it was something I had suspected. A major theme of this musical is the romance between Diana and Berry. They mentioned something about Paris. They said the play was basically a "love story" and that even though Berry doesn't sing, his character and the Diana Ross character sing Marvin and Tammi duets to each other.

Well the romance between Diane Ross and Berry Gordy is a true love story. I am looking forward to this musical and while I think it real nice that the Berry and Diane love story is the theme of the movie I hope the First Lady of Motown Recods Miss Martha Reeves is prominently featurred.

Roberta

bradsupremes
10-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Although I'm excited that a musical featuring the Motown catalog will finally make it to the Broadway stage, I am disappointed in the general plot of the show. I know it's Berry's story and he has every right to tell it the way he should, but I'm afraid lots of die-hard Motown fans like us are going to be disappointed when important people who have played a role in Motown's success will be portrayed as "extras." The characters of Berry and Diana singing Marvin and Tammi duets to each other just don't gel with me. It just doesn't seem work in my mind. It takes away from Marvin and Tammi's success being told. Now, I'll admit I haven't seen the show or any preview so I can't judge ahead of time, but I feel a musical with Motown songs would work better with a plot that's completely unrelated to the Motown story [[ex. "Mamma Mia" using ABBA songs.) A plot with fictional characters and a unique, different love story with Motown songs woven in would have worked better, in my honest opinion. I still wish the musical all success and hope it becomes a Broadway smash!

jobeterob
10-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Will Berry & Diana's character sing Marvin & Tammi's songs? Is that in the plans?

This is going to be a tough one for hardcore Motown fans because they'll have to cut out many characters so they can have a coherent story with developed characters.

I think they have to stick with the basic Motown/Berry/Diana/Michael/Smokey story or there won't be any coherent story threading it together.

midnightman
10-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Will Berry & Diana's character sing Marvin & Tammi's songs? Is that in the plans?

This is going to be a tough one for hardcore Motown fans because they'll have to cut out many characters so they can have a coherent story with developed characters.

I think they have to stick with the basic Motown/Berry/Diana/Michael/Smokey story or there won't be any coherent story threading it together.

Yeah or else the play will be moot.

skooldem1
11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Here is a new clip of the "Berry and Diana" leads, singing "You're all I need".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g162kV1QZY

jobeterob
11-30-2012, 07:14 PM
As truth in history, this show won't do it........and it'll piss off the fans of the lesser Motown stars............but it will be a heck of a show that will bring Motown back in a big way.

skooldem1
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL - "HERE IT COMES" COMMERCIAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoVZwY56rew

theboyfromxtown
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
As truth in history, this show won't do it........and it'll piss off the fans of the lesser Motown stars............but it will be a heck of a show that will bring Motown back in a big way.

Have to say that they are not ALL totally p***ed off. I'm pleased to learn that some of them are getting an invite to a Motown Alumni night in April........

jobeterob
01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Have to say that they are not ALL totally p***ed off. I'm pleased to learn that some of them are getting an invite to a Motown Alumni night in April........

A lot of people care; a lot of Motown Alumni care; but Berry Gordy cant possibly support all of the requests for assistance that he gets.

And the artists still love Berry and constantly sing his praises.

And now Brad has shown us there will be "Supremes" in the musical.

What we will need to accept is the musical will centre on Berry and Diana, with portions on Smokey, Marvin, Michael and Stevie ~ but there won't be major sections on Mary Wells, Junior Walker, Funks, other Supremes, Vandellas etc.

The pictures Brad sent indicate it will be awesome.

skooldem1
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
This musical will be about Motown, not Diana Ross. Yes she is a featured player, but why would anyone think that the characters of Mary, Florence, and Cindy wouldn't be portrayed?

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
A lot of people care; a lot of Motown Alumni care; but Berry Gordy cant possibly support all of the requests for assistance that he gets.

And the artists still love Berry and constantly sing his praises.

And now Brad has shown us there will be "Supremes" in the musical.

What we will need to accept is the musical will centre on Berry and Diana, with portions on Smokey, Marvin, Michael and Stevie ~ but there won't be major sections on Mary Wells, Junior Walker, Funks, other Supremes, Vandellas etc.

The pictures Brad sent indicate it will be awesome.

You keep talking about
Berry Gordy's request for assistance. You mention it here and in other threads over the last several weeks. Who exactly is asking Mr. Gordy for assistance? I take it you are referring to financial assistance.

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
This musical will be about Motown, not Diana Ross. Yes she is a featured player, but why would anyone think that the characters of Mary, Florence, and Cindy wouldn't be portrayed?

The only person that continually states that Mary, Flo etc will not have specific roles in this production is Jobeterob. I believe it is his way of once again putting these women, these legends down in a weak effort to elevate the importance of Diana Ross in his view point.

jillfoster
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Nobody does, except him.

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Here is a new clip of the "Berry and Diana" leads, singing "You're all I need".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g162kV1QZY

....and you like this? I should re-phrase, do you like this?

drlorne
01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I have my tickets for early May. I hope Forever Dusty will still be on, but tickets only available to March. The co- star is Christina Sajous who played Shirley Owens [[Allston-Reeves) in Baby It's You in 2011.
Lorne

smark21
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
The singing on this fine, but the dialogue before they start singing is corny. I hope this gets a re-write before the show officially opens.

marv2
01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
The singing on this fine, but the dialogue before they start singing is corny. I hope this gets a re-write before the show officially opens.

It is excessively corny in an effort to appeal to the lowest common denominator........the NYC Tourist! LOL!!!!

smark21
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
For what it’s worth, I went to Broadway.com message boards which is a very active site for fans of Broadway to see if there are any threads on Motown the Musical. I had to click Next 50 about 5 times before I found a thread devoted to the banner on the theater. Otherwise, no discussion at this point. But here’s the link.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/index.php?mobile=on

jillfoster
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
....and you like this? I should re-phrase, do you like this?

I can see it coming... and since Berry is behind this, most likely he'll come off as the master Svengali that made Diana Ross everything she is, which of course, is insulting to her... but nobody ever said Gordy wasn't a chauvinist.

jillfoster
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Well.. I guess we can see who's playing Martha and the Vandellas at 1:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vAJFno2ijo0#!

I think the girl they got to play Martha looks like she'd been better cast as Cindy

theboyfromxtown
01-29-2013, 02:49 AM
I'm always interested to see how the choreographers of today attempt to re-create new dance routines representing the 60's. I'm not impressed so far. I've seen routines where the groups have their backs to the audience which was a no-no back then. The masters of the dance routines-the Temps singing here on Ball of Confusion looked a mess...arms, legs all over the place. Stop the video at 1:42 for example. Those original routines were subtle but had a certain flair which I believe is missing from what I've so far seen.

Check this video out at 36:07. The Elgins had grace, poise and class. Those qualities seem lacking to me in "Motown The Musical" and I'm a little disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3G7Y25qm4

jobeterob
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Kind of agree with you John. I guess they are bowing toward the more current way of doing things to appeal to the kids.

.Motown: The Musical Ready to Make Broadway Debut in MarchBroadway
NEW YORK HAPPENINGS — 29 January 2013 The new Broadway musical Motown promises to tell the true story behind the sound that made history by shattering racial barriers in popular music in the late-‘50s. After all, Motown: The Musical was written by the very man who brought the genre of music to life in Detroit in 1959: music mogul Berry Gordy!

Tickets are now on sale for Motown: The Musical, which begins previews March 11 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. The official opening night of Motown: The Musical is scheduled for April 14, and the run is open-ended — which means producers are expecting this world premiere production to be a huge hit with music fans!

Motown: The Musical follows Motown founder Berry Gordy’s journey from featherweight boxer to the heavyweight music mogul who’s best known for launching the careers of Motown legends like Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and Marvin Gaye, among many, many others. So, of course, audience members can expect to hear many of their favorite R&B, soul and pop hits from the early ‘60s sung by some of the most talented performers on Broadway.

Motown: The Musical stars Brandon Victor Dixon [[The Colour Purple) as Gordy, Valisia Lekae [[The Book of Mormon) as Diana Ross, and Charl Brown [[Jersey Boys, Sister Act) as crooner Smokey Robinson. The book was written by Gordy, while Charles Randolph-Wright [[Sophisticated Ladies) directs. Choreographer Patricia Wilcox has a long list of film and TV credits to her name, as well as the notable distinction of having created numbers for numerous gold medal-winning ice-skaters. [[We just can’t wait to see what the dance numbers have in store!).

Though much of this production is still veiled in secrecy, we know it will be just the ticket for theater-goers who want to see something that leaves them dying to dance in the aisles.

So what’s your favorite Motown song? [[Whatever it is, there’s a good chance in it’s this show!)

nomis
01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
It will be like his autobiography - a polite overview with little depth or resonance..sure great songs but this man dosent deal with reality and that his actions directly or indirectly caused misery to the very people who brought fortune to his door..it would take years of pyschological counselling for him to see that yes he and Diana lived the fairy tale..but what about everyone else..ok Gayes drug use and Ballards drinking where their own choices..but they were by part a result of the way he operated his buisness..and why put Mary through all of that shit in the 70s and 80s ?..penniless Funk Brothers not invited to Motown 25..Martha ending up in a mental hospital..Marvin living in a van in Hawaii..Gordy was the father figure who dealt with wayward "children" with by making them sign contracts for a pitiful lump sum that denied them any future royalties..more money for him and if you crossed him you ended up in a legal jostle that lasted decades..ask HDH or Mary..I seriously doubt the play will deal with any of this - it will be " I conquered Hollywood with Lady" routine..this man shut himself off from the real world along time ago

theboyfromxtown
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Am I right in noticing that the non-Jobete song "River Deep Mountain High" might be included. That would be a strange choice given all those Jobete titles.

jillfoster
01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Am I right in noticing that the non-Jobete song "River Deep Mountain High" might be included. That would be a strange choice given all those Jobete titles.

I seriously doubt that this play will cast someone as Jean Terrell, Gordy doesn't want anyone to be reminded that a group witihout his chosen "star" had seven top 40 hits without her.

marv2
01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
I seriously doubt that this play will cast someone as Jean Terrell, Gordy doesn't want anyone to be reminded that a group witihout his chosen "star" had seven top 40 hits without her.

Now I think you may have something there.......

jobeterob
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Now I think you may have something there.......

And yes we have exactly that if John is right..............a Supremes without Diana song. That Berry, he can be so devious.

marv2
01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
It will be like his autobiography - a polite overview with little depth or resonance..sure great songs but this man dosent deal with reality and that his actions directly or indirectly caused misery to the very people who brought fortune to his door..it would take years of pyschological counselling for him to see that yes he and Diana lived the fairy tale..but what about everyone else..ok Gayes drug use and Ballards drinking where their own choices..but they were by part a result of the way he operated his buisness..and why put Mary through all of that shit in the 70s and 80s ?..penniless Funk Brothers not invited to Motown 25..Martha ending up in a mental hospital..Marvin living in a van in Hawaii..Gordy was the father figure who dealt with wayward "children" with by making them sign contracts for a pitiful lump sum that denied them any future royalties..more money for him and if you crossed him you ended up in a legal jostle that lasted decades..ask HDH or Mary..I seriously doubt the play will deal with any of this - it will be " I conquered Hollywood with Lady" routine..this man shut himself off from the real world along time ago

Good and thought provoking post Nomis. thank you

nomis
02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
thanx Marv

milven
02-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I have my tickets for early May. I hope Forever Dusty will still be on, but tickets only available to March. The co- star is Christina Sajous who played Shirley Owens [[Allston-Reeves) in Baby It's You in 2011.
Lorne

Forever Dusty was just extended through April and may even become an open run. I saw it today and the house was full. As good as Christina Sajous was in Baby It’s You, she was even better as Dusty’s lover in Forever Dusty.

Jobeterob, you are right when you say that as truth in history, Motown The Musical won’t do it. Those who expect the exact history of Motown from this should stay away and wait for PBS to do a documentary about it.

I just saw a musical about Dusty Springfield. It is only ninety minutes long and had to tell about her forty year career between all the songs. They did it, but was it her life story? I have a vague knowledge of Dusty and the play that I saw was true, but in a fictional form. The author admits to using poetic license. Most of the events in the show really happened but some of the characters in the play have been composited from multiple people in Dusty’s life – or completely invented by the author. He also took liberties with the time sequence of some events. But it was kept as truthful as possible in bringing the audience the soul and spirit of Dusty. The audience was completely satisfied with the result.

I think the same can be said of Motown The Musical. Most of us on this board are experts on Motown and will be able to pick out a lot of stuff that may seem to be lies and exaggerations.

I am also going to see it in previews. I will not be disappointed. I expect to see a musical with music that I love and about entertainers that I like. I’m going to be entertained. It’s a musical, not a documentary. And while Broadway may cater to the tourist a little too much - as has been pointed out on these boards - most of the audience in a Broadway theatre is still comprised of New Yorkers.

R. Mark Desjardins
02-05-2013, 02:56 PM

A pal who started up The Supremes Fan Club in Montreal in 1966 sent me this pix of his ticket to Motown The Musical. We saw The Supremes together at Expo '67 and got to see Diana Ross together in Toronto in 2011. Wish it was me getting to see the musical, but I will in time. Not too many recording artists have captured the love of music fans over such at time spread as the Tamla/Motown family of stars!

Amazon has announced that the soundtrack to the musical will be released on Universal label in March.

SupremeBoy
02-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Thank you again.

Roberta

With all due respect since when has Martha Reeves ever been referred to as "The First Lady of Motown Records"? Is this a joke?

ralpht
02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
I can't say for sure, Supremeboy, but Martha did pre-date Diana by a good few years.

milven
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I think we already discussed this . Mary Wells was the third woman signed to Motown, but it was she who was referred to as The First Lady of Motown by just about everyone - including dee-jays when they introduced her songs on the radio.

I've never heard of Martha referenced as the First Lady of Motown by anyone , except Roberta. And I'm cool with that. Roberta is a fan of Martha and it is a nice tribute that she gives to Martha.

Some have called Diana Ross the First Lady of Motown. I'm a Diana fan, but to me Mary Wells will always be the First Lady of Motown, just as Helen Hayes will always be the First Lady of Theatre, Bette Davis , the First Lady of Cinema and Ella Fitzgerald , the First Lady of Music. To each his own.

ralpht
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Thank you, Milven. Makes a lot of sense. More of a sense of perspective relative to one's age I would think.

bradsupremes
02-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I've heard Claudette Robinson refer to herself as the First Lady of Motown. In fact, didn't Berry Gordy give her the title in his autobiography as the Miracles were the first group signed to the new label thus making her the first lady signed with the company.

I think the title First Lady of Motown belongs to Claudette.

jobeterob
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
For us Motown Fans, I think Mary Wells is probably the most appropriate First Lady of Motown. But it's just a name. It's all cool unless somebody forgets to call Aretha Franklin the Queen of Soul. Then there is trouble. Big trouble. She would surely issue a statement!

Wow, a soundtrack is coming too; excellent; although it might not be the real deal for the fans.

This will put Motown in the spotlight again.

Ralph, have you ever considered driving or taking the train across the country for an early spring holiday to attend this and hang out with some of the guys again?

skooldem1
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I often feel that because Diana Ross is the undisputed Queen of Motown that fans of other artist run around trying to stake their claim on some title for their favorite singer. I think titles are silly for anyone. Queen of this, King of that...its so silly.

ralpht
02-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Rob,
I'll think about it. I would love to get together. Got a lot on my plate right now. We shall see.

jobeterob
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
You would be so lucky to be able to do that. I would love it but of course, I don't know any of those people. A drive across the country would be great for me as well; just not Canada in the winter ~ that won't fly.

I will wish it can happen for you.

Perhaps it is true; maybe Claudette should be the First Lady and not Mary Wells. And perhaps the titles are nonsense.

smark21
02-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Irene Ryan was the first lady of Motown she puts all the other heifers to shame.

milven
02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Irene Ryan was the first lady of Motown she puts all the other heifers to shame.

:D:D:D;)

In this video you can see the promotional ad run by Motown Records. It says "Meet Motown's Newest Teen Sensation" with a picture of Irene Ryan as Granny. Granny The First Lady of Motown :D:D Well this was originally a number performed by Irene Ryan in the Motown Produced Broadway Show, PIPPIN, which is soon being revived on Broadway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_uHZggFS8U

Roberta75
02-06-2013, 05:08 AM
No disrespect to any of the other ladies you mention above but IMO The First lady of Motown Records is Dr Martha Reeves. Martha Reeves is a real ambassador for Motown records and Martha Reeves is the only star of the label that stop by the Motown Museum in Detroit and give personal tours of the museum to the public. I never hear of Diane Ross or Claudette Robinson giving tours plus Miss martha Reeves is in great demand today and works more than any of the other former ladies of Motown yes Dr Martha Reeves is the undisputed First lady of Motown Records IMO and may God continue to bless and protect Dr Martha Reeves.

Roberta

SupremeBoy
02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
No disrespect to any of the other ladies you mention above but IMO The First lady of Motown Records is Dr Martha Reeves. Martha Reeves is a real ambassador for Motown records and Martha Reeves is the only star of the label that stop by the Motown Museum in Detroit and give personal tours of the museum to the public. I never hear of Diane Ross or Claudette Robinson giving tours plus Miss martha Reeves is in great demand today and works more than any of the other former ladies of Motown yes Dr Martha Reeves is the undisputed First lady of Motown Records IMO and may God continue to bless and protect Dr Martha Reeves.

Roberta

Self-proclaimed titles are silly, and you are correct Roberta it is just your opinion...and you're most certainly entitled to it.

captainjames
02-06-2013, 09:01 AM
You are all right !!! depending on your definition of "First Lady !!!!!!"
1. The First Lady signed with Motown
2. The First Lady with the first hit
or
2. The first Lady with the Most hits

I am going to put my vote in for Esther Gordy Edwards although I still think Claudette, Ray, Martha, Diana, and Mary Wells hold some sort of torch.

As far as Motown on Broadway I am going to give it a shot - I think Berry has a sure fire hit directed at a difference type of audience now. I'll be there !!!

milven
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Getting back on topic, The Daily News has a pull out section for Black Music Month which contains an article about the show and also a full page ad for the show. And in the NY POST, there is an article by critic Michael Riedel [[if you watched SMASH last night he was in it). Michael's article is already critical about the book and Berry's involvement..
Ain’t no mountain high enough
But script woes might trip up ‘Motown: The Musical’
By MICHAEL RIEDEL
February 6, 2013
By Michael Riedel
BROADWAY MATINEE
‘Motown: The Musical” was loading into the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre yesterday, but there was one thing I couldn’t find amid the trucks, trolleys and crates: a script.

The $12 million musical has been in rehearsal for weeks — the first preview is March 11 — but a workable plot has yet to emerge.

How do I know this?I heard it through the grapevine!

The problem, sources say, is that Berry Gordy Jr. initially insisted on writing the script himself, with a bit of help from screenwriter David Goldsmith.

But because they had so much material to cover — Gordy’s life, the creation of Motown, its place in American popular culture — they quickly found themselves tangled up in that grapevine.

Gilles Petard / RedfernsMotown music mogul Berry Gordy Jr. is grooving in the studio with Mary Wilson [[from left), Florence Ballard and Diana Ross — the Supremes — in January 1965.And so a few months ago, Dick Scanlan, who wrote the book to “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” joined the show as a “script consultant.”

There were rumblings this week that the producers were looking to bring in yet another writer to help sort out the material.

But lead producer Kevin McCollum told me that wasn’t the case.

“David and Dick will be billed as ‘script consultants,’ ” he said, “but they are the only two writers working with Berry. This is Berry’s story, and from the beginning, he recognized it needed to be seen through someone else’s prism.”

McCollum acknowledged the script was “still in flux,” adding that Scanlan’s job is to whack away at the mountains of material.

“And because we have no flying, we will hit our first preview date,” he added with a laugh.

It’s no secret that Gordy’s a control freak. You don’t build up an empire like Motown by being Mr. Laissez-Faire. But creating a musical requires collaboration, which is why a number of people Gordy initially approached to work on the show passed.

“They were afraid that Berry Gordy wouldn’t give them creative control, and that he wouldn’t tell the real behind-the-scenes stuff,” a source says.

Another source, a bitchy one, says: “Look at who they got to direct it — Charles Randolph-Wright. They went through the Rolodex and couldn’t find anyone until they got to W! Or R, if you want to be charitable.”

[[Randolph-Wright, it must be said, isn’t exactly Mike Nichols. His major directing credit is “Bea Arthur on Broadway.”)

But McCollum says “Motown” doesn’t ignore the music label’s dramas.

“Motown was a family, and like all families there were conflicts,” he says. “Berry addresses many of those conflicts.”

OK, but let’s be practical. Nobody’s going to “Motown: The Musical” for the plot. What they want is the Motown catalog, perhaps the greatest catalog in the history of pop music.

Says McCollum: “Oh, we’ve got the songs. That’s one thing I can assure you of. We’ve got the songs.”

Director Stephen Daldry has assembled a first-rate cast for “The Audience,” a new play by Peter Morgan about Queen Elizabeth and her prime ministers.

Joining Helen Mirren [[who plays the queen, naturally) are Haydn Gwynne [[Margaret Thatcher), Rufus Wright [[David Cameron), Michael Elwyn [[Sir Anthony Eden) and Nathaniel Parker [[Gordon Brown).

Best of all, though, is the great Robert Hardy as Winston Churchill, a role he played more than 30 years ago in the TV miniseries “Winston Churchill: The Wilderness Years,” for which he won a BAFTA award.

As PBS viewers of a certain age will recall, Hardy was the veterinarian in “All Creatures Great and Small” in the 1970s.

Now 87, he’s one of England’s finest actors but rarely appears onstage anymore, so this should be a treat.

“The Audience” begins performances in the West End next week. Plans are already in the works for a Broadway production next season.

jobeterob
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
They need to choose 2 plot lines and highlight them.

Suggestions: Berry & Diana and the fight for racial equality, where you can draw in other performers.

jobeterob
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Wednesday, February 6, 2013 NYDailyNews.com / Music & Arts

Sanding off Motown's rough edges: As Berry Gordy readies his Broadway musical, critic wonders how much of the real story will be told

Back in the day, the Temptations sang “Get Ready,” and that title is doubly appropriate as previews of “Motown: The Musical” are slated to start March 11 on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.

Most music lovers know a bit about the history of Detroit’s legendary Motown record company and its founder, Berry Gordy, but this production promises to deliver the real lowdown — the behind-the-scenes account of Gordy’s rise to fame and fortune and his personal ties to legends such as Smokey Robinson and Diana Ross.

It’s going to be really difficult to keep the audience from singing along with this musical, which will be studded with tunes made famous by Robinson, Ross, the Supremes, the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson.

Equally compelling will be the drama behind Motown, the creative process that was often as competitive as it was ultimately productive.

And at the center of it all was the indomitable Gordy, his genius shaping the music as the company developed a coterie of magnificent performers.

Brandon Victor Dixon, a Tony Award nominee for his work in “The Color Purple” and “The Scottsboro Boys,” will portray Gordy, and Valisia Lekae of “Ragtime” and “The Book of Mormon” will star as Ross. Charl Brown will play Smokey Robinson.

Dixon, in an interview with Erin Strecker of Popwatch.com said, “The biggest thing Motown did was change our social fabric; the way we interacted with each other as human beings.

“There is a lot of tension in the world, a lot of strife. A lot of what goes on in the world has people thinking about what makes us different. I hope that our show is able to remind people of what makes us the same.”

In a later interview with the Daily News, he said, “We’re two weeks in and this has been one of the most fulfilling collaborative experiences of my life.

“We work like a family in the way that Motown truly did as it was coming into being, which has been wonderful for the development of our show.”

Charles Randolph-Wright will direct the musical, which was written by Gordy.

In a recent conversation, the director said his energy and passion for the musical are palpable.

“Working with Berry is the joy of my life,” he said.

“We’re literally like comrades, and it is thrilling to collaborate with a man who I’ve idolized. As he has done for so many others, he’s given me permission to dream.”

The show will be produced by Tony winner Kevin McCollum of “Rent” and “In the Heights” fame and Doug Morris, CEO of Sony Music.

The production team will include Joseph *Joubert as musical director and Ethan Popp supervising an 18-piece orchestra.

“Motown: The Musical” is scheduled to officially open April 14.

Post a Comment »

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/motown-musical-coming-broadway-article-1.1256850#ixzz2K9ATSJkB

smark21
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Well glad this thread is back on topic. I’m not shocked to read that Motown the Musical is having script problems. If you go up the page and view the youtube clip of “Berry” and “Diana” performing “You’re All I Need to Get By”, the dialogue they exchange before they sing is awful, simply awful. I hope they are calling in a script doctor because if all the dialogue is on this level, then the show could be a critical disaster.

I went to the message board at broadwayworld.com where theater fans love to chat. The Reidel article has provoked a good sized discussion about Motown the Musical. Here’s the link to the discussion:

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1056247&dt=27

jillfoster
02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Well glad this thread is back on topic. I’m not shocked to read that Motown the Musical is having script problems. If you go up the page and view the youtube clip of “Berry” and “Diana” performing “You’re All I Need to Get By”, the dialogue they exchange before they sing is awful, simply awful. I hope they are calling in a script doctor because if all the dialogue is on this level, then the show could be a critical disaster.

I went to the message board at broadwayworld.com where theater fans love to chat. The Reidel article has provoked a good sized discussion about Motown the Musical. Here’s the link to the discussion:

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1056247&dt=27

I'll totally agree with you on this one. The thing that always bothers me about broadway treatment of pop and soul music is that it takes iconic records and makes them sound like they are being sung on an episode of GLEE. It's not so bad, when song are written specifically for the Broadway stage, then it can come off really good. But trying to transition pop and soul to Broadway many times yields ca-ca. It seems that Reidel is concerned as I mentioned last week, that this will be a puff piece, which doesn't make for good theater.

marv2
02-06-2013, 11:46 PM
I'll totally agree with you on this one. The thing that always bothers me about broadway treatment of pop and soul music is that it takes iconic records and makes them sound like they are being sung on an episode of GLEE. It's not so bad, when song are written specifically for the Broadway stage, then it can come off really good. But trying to transition pop and soul to Broadway many times yields ca-ca. It seems that Reidel is concerned as I mentioned last week, that this will be a puff piece, which doesn't make for good theater.

They should just use Richard Pryor's monologue from "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today and Forever" and call it a day. That is what this show is going to end up like anyway..........hehehehehehehe

bradsupremes
02-07-2013, 02:13 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again; they should have created a musical using the Motown catalog but with an original, unique story completely unrelated to Motown's history or its artists. It would have given them, essentially, free reign to develop characters and a story without having to worry about getting sued for portrayals of certain people and telling a false history.

It appears from photos we've seen that the show will cover a 25-30 year timeline. A hell of a lot happened in that time and to squeeze things into a two hour show is not going to work. Many things will be completely left out or glossed over and some of those things may be significant to the story. As JillFoster posted above, it's a puff piece which doesn't make good theatre. If Berry wanted this to be about his relationship with Diana then the focus should be completely on that story. No need to create roles for Mary Wells, the Temptations, Stevie, Marvin, etc in that particular story. I haven't seen the rehearsals nor do I know what's going on in its development. These are merely suggestions. Personally, I feel if they want this to work then the timeline should be shorten to only the Detroit years [[1959-1972) and focus in on how the company broke down racial barriers with an incredibly unique sound. Completely cut out the Berry/Diana relationship story. Narrow on what Berry did to make his company a success in the golden years. Motown was already a success by the time of the move out to LA, so that whole part of the story doesn't need to be told in the musical.

We'll see how it turns out. I hope for its success, but if it fails then we'll know where the problem was hiding.

jillfoster
02-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again; they should have created a musical using the Motown catalog but with an original, unique story completely unrelated to Motown's history or its artists. It would have given them, essentially, free reign to develop characters and a story without having to worry about getting sued for portrayals of certain people and telling a false history.

It appears from photos we've seen that the show will cover a 25-30 year timeline. A hell of a lot happened in that time and to squeeze things into a two hour show is not going to work. Many things will be completely left out or glossed over and some of those things may be significant to the story. As JillFoster posted above, it's a puff piece which doesn't make good theatre. If Berry wanted this to be about his relationship with Diana then the focus should be completely on that story. No need to create roles for Mary Wells, the Temptations, Stevie, Marvin, etc in that particular story. I haven't seen the rehearsals nor do I know what's going on in its development. These are merely suggestions. Personally, I feel if they want this to work then the timeline should be shorten to only the Detroit years [[1959-1972) and focus in on how the company broke down racial barriers with an incredibly unique sound. Completely cut out the Berry/Diana relationship story. Narrow on what Berry did to make his company a success in the golden years. Motown was already a success by the time of the move out to LA, so that whole part of the story doesn't need to be told in the musical.

We'll see how it turns out. I hope for its success, but if it fails then we'll know where the problem was hiding.

And what you suggest makes sense as well, because Berry's and Diana's relationship ended right before the move to LA....... of course, Many Ross fans would be angry as hell if they end the play before Diana has her biggest success in a solo career.

skooldem1
02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
A lot of speculation going on. The musical hasn't even been previewed yet. I suspect many want this to fail. It is par for the course for there to be script revisions for a new play. Usually the play has a short run out of town to work out the kinks.

jobeterob
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
What a shame if insiders and fans would like to see something like this fail. If it does, it's a loss to us all; it will mean no bump in royalties, bookings, publicity. I can't see how a real fan would want such a thing.

ejluther
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Got my tix for a show in May and I can't wait!

smark21
02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
A lot of speculation going on. The musical hasn't even been previewed yet. I suspect many want this to fail. It is par for the course for there to be script revisions for a new play. Usually the play has a short run out of town to work out the kinks.

Actually in recent years, Broadway shows don’t go out of town to preview and work out kinks. Previews take place right on Broadway. In 2011 the show Spiderman got flack for constantly extending its preview run as the show had a huge host of problems with script and staging of action scenes where performers were getting injured. Critics got so frustrated that they violated an unwritten rule and wrote reviews as they were getting fed up that the show was not officially opening. I doubt the same shenanigans will happen with Motown as I’m sure the producers want to officially open the show before Tony Award deadline time in hopes of getting some nominations. It will be interesting to see if Motown will become another Jersey Boys or another Baby It’s You.

nomis
02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
It has huge financial possibilties...they will have to make significantly different from Dream Girls..I just feel uncomfortable with Gordy being lauded as some kind of hero..on the some points I admire him but on alot of things I think he did alot of people wrong..while its good to acknowledge all the positive things Motown did for the world..I think you have to be balanced and accept the sorrow that many artists dealt with..in a large part due to Berrys boardroom decisions where peoples futures were gambled on a dice throw- literally..it was Berrys way or the highway and thats his perogative to run his empire anyway he sees fit..but I dont respect his methods..as a dj myself I know what its like to be ripped off by the Boss ..not on any monetary level similar to Motown artists but enough that Ive been ripped off of my pension..sure the world of buisness isnt fair,even more so in the music industry but theres still right and wrong..and Gordy did many people wrong over petty things he really didnt care about..he took an individual trying to assert their buisness acumen as a direct affront to him..and Like I say it was mainly over things he couldnt care less about - an artists preference to future time with a certain producer..a musician having the same spray finish colour as his car..petty petty petty..and peoples lives were ruined and he knows what he did though I doubt he would ever admit it..why do you think hes locked himself away in a fortress for thirty plus years ? because he owes many many people money they never got thru legal manouvres that go against the constitution,human rights and every legal ethic and he knew he had the cash in Jobete and could legally bully anyone for decades..and he did..time and time again...

drlorne
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I have my tickets for May as well...might go twice while I'm there, but hard to convince the other half....maybe a matinee by myself. Anyway, very excited!
Lorne

jobeterob
02-12-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/167312/top-five-sassy-stars-katie-finneran-billy-porter-rachelle-rak-rock-the-weeks-most-watched-videos/

Scroll down to #5.........there are interviews with most of the principal characters ~ diana, berry, stevie, marvin, smokey, michael and some parts of songs.

jobeterob
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Berry Gordy Talks 1st Time With Diana Ross
The music mogul talks about a flop and the new Broadway musical that he hopes will be a hit.
By: Hillary Crosley | Posted: February 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM

5 EmailText Size
Berry Gordy, Valisia LeKae and Brandon Victor Dixon [[Getty Images)[[The Root) -- When Berry Gordy began Motown Records in Detroit in 1959, few people thought he would be successful, he now says. But decades after ruling the Billboard charts and cementing his place in popular culture with films like Lady Sings the Blues, Gordy is on the cusp of conquering a new stage, Broadway.

At a recent preview for Motown: The Musical on a spare Times Square soundstage, the two actors playing Gordy and Diana Ross, Brandon Victor Dixon and Valisia LeKae, act out the beginning of the couple's storied romance in a fictitious Parisian cafe. Though all the audience really sees are two people sitting at a table without so much as a salt shaker between them, it's easy to be whisked away by a tale of untimely affection between a beautiful singer and a businessman when they begin singing Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's "You're All I Need to Get By."

On April 14, Motown: The Musical will open at Broadway's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, depicting their love story wrapped in nostalgic tracks from the archives of Gordy's vast label. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, the Jackson Five and, of course, Diana Ross and the Supremes are all featured in the show, which Gordy says has been in the works since 2009, his label's 50th anniversary.

The Motor City icon spoke to The Root about why he finally took Motown's music to Broadway, why he mended fences with artists like Holland-Dozier-Holland and his inspiration for sharing embarrassing moments like his first -- and unsuccessful -- night in bed with Ross.

The Root: Why do Motown: The Musical now? Investors must have been pitching you this idea for ages.

Berry Gordy: Yes, but I was only interested in doing the real show on Broadway. It's like what I told the Supremes years ago when I advised them to go from their R&B songs to standards because they were so big on The Ed Sullivan Show: "Music is for all people, black and white, Jews and gentiles, cops and the robbers."

TR: Did their fans find the transition difficult?

BG: At one point I was too white for black people and too black for white people. The white people didn't want me on their side, and the black people wondered why I was doing their kind of songs, so it was a balance. I'm doing the show now because I don't have to do it. Even though I've had problems with artists in the past, the record has been set straight so many times. All of that has been cleared, and they've all come to me and said, "Hey, no one believed a black kid from Detroit could [create Motown] without being in the Mafia, so we were convinced that [the rumors] were right, and maybe we were being cheated." When they found out that they weren't, they came back, and now we're the best of friends.

Anybody that was at Motown at that time can't not love each other because we went through so much. Now, everybody is thrilled. I always had Broadway in the back of my mind years ago, but never thinking I'd do it. I just told them, "One day, ya'll will do Broadway, we've done television," so now Broadway.

next ›
last »

jobeterob
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Berry Gordy Talks 1st Time With Diana Ross
The music mogul talks about a flop and the new Broadway musical that he hopes will be a hit.
By: Hillary Crosley | Posted: February 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM

5 EmailText Size
Berry Gordy, Valisia LeKae and Brandon Victor Dixon [[Getty Images)

TR: Why did you decide to make the love story between you and Diana Ross the focus of Motown: The Musical after keeping your relationship a secret for so long?

BG: Because it's true. Motown covers heavy stuff, like the first time Diana and I had sex. I was so engrossed in her. It was something I'd wanted, and I was in love with her long before she was in love with me, so when she fell in love with me in Paris, I couldn't believe it. Of course, nothing happened on my part, and it was so embarrassing. I wanted to smother myself. Then Diana said, "It's not that bad. Look at it this way, at least you have power over everything else." I'm not ashamed of putting anything about my life anywhere, because I'm a normal person.

TR: Is it odd watching someone else play you?

BG: The cast is so smart, and Brandon Victor Dixon has studied me. We've been rehearsing for nearly two years. Brandon has his own mannerisms, but they fit mine. He just studied me so much, but he's a natural Berry Gordy-type. We cast a natural Marvin Gaye type and a natural Smokey Robinson type -- we tried to get the naturals as much as we could.

TR: You and Smokey are quite fond of embracing. Is your Broadway Smokey a cuddly guy, too?

BG: The real Smokey is, especially with me. In the show, Smokey and Berry always liked the same girls, and they make a pact to always stay friends and never let a woman come between them.

TR: There's the rumor that Diana Ross dated Smokey before she dated you.

BG: Ah -- possibly, yes. [Laughs].

TR: After all of these years and other Broadway shows that are loosely based on Motown, like Dreamgirls, what do you hope your audience takes away from Motown: The Musical?

BG: Every time people see it, they'll probably pick something else up. Motown came along at a time in the 1960s, and we were very lucky, especially being close to leaders like the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I had him under contract. We did three albums [of his speeches] because he realized that our music was helping his cause. The right music unites everybody. We tried to do that, and we were successful. Often there are more similarities than differences between people, and the good folks have to band together because the bad ones are disrupting things. Like my character says in the show, "The bad guys are killing off our dreams, one by one." We can't let that happen.

Hillary Crosley is the New York bureau chief at The Root. Follow her on Twitter.

jobeterob
02-13-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.theroot.com/views/berry-gordy-talks-1st-time-diana-ross?page=0,1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20TheRootRssFeed%20%28TheRoot %20RSS%20Feed%29