PDA

View Full Version : The clean Supremes and Mrs Powell lets Diana have it!

test

luke
08-25-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTX4nRosrOs&feature=g-vrec Deep Soul the Uprising of Motown

carole cucumber
08-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for sharing. The clip showed what a fast learner Diana was. After being corrected once by Mrs Powell, she immediately took the bull by the horns and perfected her craft. Diana comes back in the second clip looking like a seasoned professional who has been performing for ages, as do Mary & Flo. No wonder these 3 young ladies ascended the charts so quickly and were welcomed into the hearts of Americans. They certainly didn't allow their years of being called 'The no-hit Supremes' to dampen their spirits or squealch their
God-given talent.
Mrs. Powell is also on record in interviews in correcting Marvin Gaye and the Marvelettes.
What a blessing she was to Motown .

marv2
08-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I remember this documentary. There is a part where Etta James describes each of the Supremes and how the group sang overall that I found pretty funny.

jillfoster
08-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for sharing. The clip showed what a fast learner Diana was. After being corrected once by Mrs Powell, she immediately took the bull by the horns and perfected her craft. Diana comes back in the second clip looking like a seasoned professional who has been performing for ages, as do Mary & Flo. No wonder these 3 young ladies ascended the charts so quickly and were welcomed into the hearts of Americans. They certainly didn't allow their years of being called 'The no-hit Supremes' to dampen their spirits or squealch their
God-given talent.
Mrs. Powell is also on record in interviews in correcting Marvin Gaye and the Marvelettes.
What a blessing she was to Motown .

At the time, they were welcomed because they sounded, dressed, and acted like white girls. Flo couldn't play that.

honest man
08-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Help someone tell me how do black girls-guys act differently from White girls -guys,im confused ,what a load of .... ,if ever i've read,unbelievable.Flo could not act it,it took her a long time to discover she could.nt -what be herself,what insane logic,-

Motown Eddie
08-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks so much for posting this great clip. I remember the first few times I saw The Supremes on TV back in 1964-65 and I liked those faces Diana Ross used to make while performing during that time [[and it was good thing Maxine Powell was able to get her to stop doing that since it would not have worked so well in the "upscale clubs" The Supremes were planning on performing at). Indeed, Maxine Powell was among the many elements that helped put [[and keep) Motown Records on the musical map.

soulballad
08-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Help someone tell me how do black girls-guys act differently from White girls -guys,im confused ,what a load of .... ,if ever i've read,unbelievable.Flo could not act it,it took her a long time to discover she could.nt -what be herself,what insane logic,-

At the time if you were considered too black you were classified as low class Aunt Jemima's or Amos and Andy types and you would never "cross over. The Supremes spoke well, dressed well , wore wigs and sang popish tunes. This was everthing white america had not seen in black people. Most importantly the older rich white men could want them and fantasize about them. The funny thing is the younger white guys like the Stones and Beatles were taken aback. At the time just by being white you were considered in a better upper class. It's hard for a person who was not around at the time to understand just how ugly things were. Berry and Motown mimicked the looks and styles of white hollywood and it worked, so much so that the Supremes still have some white fans who are still racist against other blacks even now. I see the same things in the world of sports. It's crazy.