PDA

View Full Version : Phil collins itv special

test

bankhousedave
09-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Nobody else watch this? Babbitt was in attendance, and Eddie got to speak. Couldn't work out who the third Funk present was - could it possibly have been Joe? Glimpes only, and I haven't seen him since he was in London a few years ago.

Some songs worked better for Phil than others, but he gave Motown a huge boost, the punters were delighted and the band was cookin'.

Sound mixing and general production also v good - even the interviewer was intelligent. I'm figuring it was done at the LWT studios on the South Bank, but no info

It could have run for twice as long.

westgrandboulevard
09-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not particularly a Phil Collins fan [[always find myself wishing for a bit more personality), but certainly a well enough presented production. Agreed, sound mixing good and yes, especially with the commercial breaks, it did seem too short.

The three female backing vocalists really looked the part, in their Vandella style gowns!

tamla617
09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
i enjoyed it.i thought the backing singers and band were as good as they could be.great to see some funks.i dont know who the guy was sat next to bob babbit tho'.
phil collins was ok.lacked power on the martha reeves songs,my girl was ok and i didnt mind the dusty springfield song.i dont think i'll buy the cd.my wife is tho'!
i used to live near hounslow and eel pie island so it was good to see some old footage of the area.

as far of what studio it was staged,all it said was itv studios.that could also mean teddington or possibly shepperton.although it usually states shepperton studio if its been used.

while i was watching the audience i wondered if there were any "sdf ers" there.

soulwally
09-19-2010, 06:32 AM
I only watched the first two or three numbers and then went out, but I thought it was Joe Messina, although there weren't any close ups of the guys while i was watching. However in the still pictured on screen early in the programme it was Collins with Babbitt, Willis and Messina.
If it was Joe, great that he was there. i thought he'd retired?
What did Eddie say?

bankhousedave
09-19-2010, 06:48 AM
He said it was a pleasure to be doing it back in the day, and it's a pleasure now, Soulwally.

Joe retired to look after his wife. I'm amazed that he would come out of retirement again, and hope that all is well.

laurence
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Ray Monette

laurence
10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry, my last answer looks abit abrupt. Ray Monette was the guy you were looking at, I didnt see Joe Messina.
After all the who-ha about recording with the Funk Bros, and lets be honest its that sound that makes this record not Phil Collins voice, it turns out that its the same old story where you dont know who was playing because in an hours show they were not even introduced to the T V watching public by name.
Good music , but do people actually like Phils voice?

reese
10-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Not sure if this was the special that was recently shot in NYC. If so, some of the songs from it were put ON DEMAND on my cable system. It seemed like it was a pretty good show.