PDA

View Full Version : Underappreciated Writers & Producers

test

jboy88
08-25-2012, 11:37 AM
As much as we discuss the Motown artist that were under the radar during the company heyday, I believe there were some songwriters and producers who are also overlooked in favor of Smokey, HDH, and Norman!

I was listening to the Jackson 5's "Darling Dear" yesterday, which was only a b-side release and could have been an a-side contender. [[though it had became somewhat of a "cult hit" due in part to a classic Jamerson performance) It was written by George Gordy [[who passed away last year) and Allen Story, however since Smokey and the Miracles cut it first, many mistake it for a Smokey Robinson masterpiece.

George and Allen wrote some decent tracks yet never did anything with a lot of staying power. Bobby Taylor was just as great a producer as he was a singer, yet aide from the J5's "Who's Loving You" never did anything noteworthy in the Motown canon! Terry Johnson and R. Dean Taylor are also examples of this. who are some of your favorite overlooked writers and/or producers!

bradsupremes
08-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Even though Johnny Bristol and Harvey Fuqua had some hits, I always felt that were overlooked. Some of the things they wrote and produced went ignored and should have been bigger hits. Two examples that stand out to me are Gladys Knight & the Pips' "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love" and the Marvelettes' "Poor Little Rich Girl." How were these songs not released in their day? Both should have been A-side singles. Fantastic productions by Bristol and Fuqua.

Another set of overlooked writers/producers were Robert Staunton and Robert Walker. I don't think they were with the company for very long, but their productions of the Marvelettes' "Little Girls Grow Up" and "This Night Was Made For Love" brought a sophisticated sound into the mix. I wish they were given a little more spotlight at the company because who knows what else they could have turned out.

Raynard Miner is another writer/producer that went unnoticed at Motown. He turned out a lot of awesome songs/productions but I don't think any of them got the push they deserved. I always enjoyed the Four Tops' "The Key," but "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" should have been a single. One of my all-time favorites Tops songs. I also like how Miner redid his own hit tune "Rescue Me" for Blinky. And the instrumental break in Martha & the Vandellas' "I Love The Man" is one of the most beautiful Motown instrumental breaks I have ever heard. Motown should have pushed Miner a little bit more when he was there.

theboyfromxtown
08-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Henry "Hank" Cosby is definitely overlooked. He was my favourite of all the Motown producers.

ralpht
08-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I just spoke with Pat Cosby, Hank's wife, the other day. We were discussing the Rare Earth/Motown Museum situation when she mentioned that Hank's picture wasn't on display there.

theboyfromxtown
08-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I just spoke with Pat Cosby, Hank's wife, the other day. We were discussing the Rare Earth/Motown Museum situation when she mentioned that Hank's picture wasn't on display there.

Ralph - Thank you for the support. I think I rest the case.

Mr Universal - can we have a cd compilation to celebrate all things Cosby please !!!

marv2
08-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd say Sylvia Moy. She did some great work with Stevie.

144man
08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I am also fond of Gordy/ Story, particularly later stuff such as "In And Out Of My Life" and "Maria [[You Were The Only One).

I also feel that the collaboration of James Dean and William Weatherspoon didn't quite get the appreciation they deserved. "She's All I Need [[In This World)" is my favourite track on the Marv Johnson CD.

stephanie
08-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Frank Wilson!

Boogie Down and Keep on Truckin for Eddie K.
All I Need for the Temptations

Anything HE did with the Four Tops or the Supremes I can listen to over and over especially MacArthur Park and Still Water. With the Supremes we all know what he did which is masterful he used all of their voices and brought out the best in our girls.

marv2
08-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Pat Cosby is such a nice lady. I do hope they get things right at the Museum.

jboy88
08-26-2012, 12:20 AM

That really is a shame! You really don't hear much of him.

I was shocked to hear George Gordy has passed! It happened three weeks prior to Esther Gordy Edwards' own death. But he went out with absolutely no fanfare what so ever! Not even on this forum!

Kamasu_Jr
08-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Ivy Jo Hunter. There are some forum members who sing "hallelujah" whenever his name is mentioned. What about Freddie Perren and Christine Yerren?

BigAl
08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
William Weatherspoon and James Dean leap to mind. Besides penning A-sides like "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" and "I've Passed This Way Before" [[Jimmy Ruffin" and "Keep On Lovin' Me" [[Frances Nero), they did a lot of wonderful album cuts and B-sides like "I Need Someone" and "Reaching for Something I Can't Have" [[Marveletttes), "I Can't Stop Now [[Love is Calling)" [[Tammi Terrell), "I Am The Man for You, Baby" [[Edwin Starr), "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone" [[Martha/Vandellas), plus many others. All gorgeous, heart-tugging melodies and lush arrangements.

robb_k
08-26-2012, 11:11 AM
[[1)Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter, [[2)Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol, [[3)James Dean and William Weatherspoon, [[4)Robert Bateman, Brian Holland and Freddie Gorman, [[5)Henry Cosby, Sylvia Moy and Stevie Wonder, [[6) Frank Wilson and Marc Gordon, [[7)Morris "Luvell" Broadnax, [[8) Clarence Paul, [[9) Robert Staunton and Robert Walker, [[10) Janie Bradford

snakepit
08-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Hallelujah

robb_k
08-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Hallelujah
Eh?

"Wat bedoel je?"

jalowe1957
08-27-2012, 08:30 AM
William Weatherspoon and James Dean leap to mind. Besides penning A-sides like "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" and "I've Passed This Way Before" [[Jimmy Ruffin" and "Keep On Lovin' Me" [[Frances Nero), they did a lot of wonderful album cuts and B-sides like "I Need Someone" and "Reaching for Something I Can't Have" [[Marveletttes), "I Can't Stop Now [[Love is Calling)" [[Tammi Terrell), "I Am The Man for You, Baby" [[Edwin Starr), "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone" [[Martha/Vandellas), plus many others. All gorgeous, heart-tugging melodies and lush arrangements.

I always felt the Dean/Weatherspoon tandem was too diffident and formulaic as writer/producers, because they had a strong tendency to fall back on cliches [[i.e. spoken intros) and other devices. But when their excesses are kept in check, they can come up with a strong track, as was the Marvelettes' reworking of "When You're Young and in Love," which was a Motown record that didn't sound like one.

jalowe1957
08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
How about Helen and Kay Lewis?

snakepit
08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Eh?

"Wat bedoel je?"

Robb

I refer you to post #11 above

Roger Polhill
08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I`ve never forgiven Frank Wilson for recording the unreleased Smokey compositions on Barbara McNair in LA. They didn`t sound at all Motown.Had he used the Funks we would have had an albums worth of "Here I Am" sounds on those wonderful songs.

soulwally
08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I'll forgive Frank, although I agree about those BM sessions. However when he came into Detroit he had the Funks cooking on the Miracles' Whole Lotta Shakin In My Heart, and other FW productions that are still favourites are Brenda Holloway's Just Look What You've Done and I've Got To Find It and the Originals's I Like Your Style, and there are more, including his work on the Supremes/Tempts first album.

And Frank's Seventies stuff with the Tops, Supremes and Eddie Kendricks, and much more after he left Motown is excellent. So I'll forgive him, if you won't, Roger.

As for Staunton and Walker, I always think of them as the Phil Spector of Motown, all muzzy mono. Say You was the first production of theirs I can remember hearing, and thinking how dense and, indeed, muzzy, it was. Since that time I've thought the same about some of their other productions.

robb_k
08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Robb

I refer you to post #11 above
Oh, Ha! Ha! Somebody should have listed Ivy Jo much earlier. Anyway, it's only because I came late to this thread, as Stevenson/Hunter are my favourite Motown writing pair 9and I like them almost as much as smokey [[and BETTER than HDH and Whitfield/Strong!).

bradsupremes
08-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I`ve never forgiven Frank Wilson for recording the unreleased Smokey compositions on Barbara McNair in LA. They didn`t sound at all Motown.Had he used the Funks we would have had an albums worth of "Here I Am" sounds on those wonderful songs.

Really? I thought her version of "Oh Be My Love" is by far the best version of the song done by any of the Motown artists. It is rich with beauty.

Roger Polhill
08-29-2012, 01:48 AM
It`s pretty enough, I prefer Smokey. The James Jamerson bass lines are beautiful. The appeal of Motown to me is the work of the Funks the artists come second and the LA. output is just not soulful enough. Anyway we are all entitled to our opinions.

juicefree20
08-29-2012, 06:32 PM
First things first...

Hank Cosby is indeed underrated & Pat Cosby is one wonderful woman!

Now I would pick a man who while not having the opportunity to pen a lot of songs, for one glorious song, he gives a hint of the brilliance that he may have been capable of. Roger Penzabene wrote the lyrics to "I Wish It Would Rain", certainly one of the most glorious songs in music history.

Sadly, the subject matter of "IWIWR" was all too true, as it's been stated that Roger had written the song after discovering that his wife had been unfaithful to him. A huge hit during February - March of 1968 & beyond, Roger committed suicide that New Years Eve, never having gotten over the demise of his marriage.

While his life was obviously in turmoil, his experiences proved to supply the words to not only "IWIWR", but also for the hits "You're My Everything" & "I Could Never Love Another [[After Loving You)".

Needless to say, these 3 songs are nothing less than classics & it makes me wonder what other gems would've come from the pen of Roger Penzabene had only he had lived longer.

Roger Polhill
08-29-2012, 07:21 PM
You can add "Save My Love For A Rainy Day" and "You Don`t Love Me No More" a very sad man but great lyrics.

Motown4Ever518
08-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Even though Johnny Bristol and Harvey Fuqua had some hits, I always felt that were overlooked. Some of the things they wrote and produced went ignored and should have been bigger hits. Two examples that stand out to me are Gladys Knight & the Pips' "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love" and the Marvelettes' "Poor Little Rich Girl." How were these songs not released in their day? Both should have been A-side singles. Fantastic productions by Bristol and Fuqua.

Another set of overlooked writers/producers were Robert Staunton and Robert Walker. I don't think they were with the company for very long, but their productions of the Marvelettes' "Little Girls Grow Up" and "This Night Was Made For Love" brought a sophisticated sound into the mix. I wish they were given a little more spotlight at the company because who knows what else they could have turned out.

Raynard Miner is another writer/producer that went unnoticed at Motown. He turned out a lot of awesome songs/productions but I don't think any of them got the push they deserved. I always enjoyed the Four Tops' "The Key," but "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" should have been a single. One of my all-time favorites Tops songs. I also like how Miner redid his own hit tune "Rescue Me" for Blinky. And the instrumental break in Martha & the Vandellas' "I Love The Man" is one of the most beautiful Motown instrumental breaks I have ever heard. Motown should have pushed Miner a little bit more when he was there.

Robert Stauton, and Robert Walker did Show Me You Can Dance on the Miracles 35th anniversey collection, it was unreleased at the time, but IMO a killer song.

Roger Polhill
08-31-2012, 08:49 PM
The Monitors have a version on their "Say You" anthology which also refers to versions by the Hit Pack [[Their group) Sammy Turner and Martha and the Vandellas in the vaults.