PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Jazz/Jazz Fusion or "Smooth Jazz" [[Is There A Difference ? )

test

GeeTee(HPK)
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I want to get your take on this subject. [[and I hope we can agree to disagree. Let's not start any verbal insults towards one another,on this thread please)

Smooth Jazz format seems to still exist in certain areas on the map. [[it has returned back on the airwaves here in Chicago) Here's the problem I have with the format. They place music by artist like Chris Botti,Boney James,Kenny G, etc;and then throw in artist like Mike McDonald,Celine Dion,Anita Baker,Phil Collins,Luther Vandross,Stevie Wonder, Michael Bolton etc;
I know the difference between a smooth jazz artist from a pop or soul artist,but to combine all 3 genres of music and call it "smooth jazz ?" PLEASE ! :confused:

The artist who's music should be played on these so called 'smooth jazz" formats,but are widely ignored is a huge slap in the face.
Ex. [[early CTI material George Benson,Grover Washington Jr.Bob James)
Weather Report [[besides "Birdland")
Tom Scott
Stanley Turrentine
Return to Forever
Tom Browne
Kool and the Gang [[besides "Summer Madness")
The Crusaders [[besides "Street Life")
George Duke [[early material from the 70s -early 80s)

I hope you get my drift. The Smooth Jazz format doesn't work for me,because they play the "usual suspects" and mixes pop and soul/R&B artist in their format,while they puposely omit the artist who's music could fit into the format.

When the format first started, it was pretty good,and I enjoyed what I was hearing. Then all of the sudden,it changed dramatically and I couldn't listen to it anymore. :mad:

The fusion/contemporary jazz was huge in the late 60s,early to mid 70s,with the CTI, Blue Note,Kudo,Tappan Zee,etc; and it leaned more towards a rockish to R&B FUNK groove mixed in. [[maybe that's why smooth jazz won't play them) lol :confused:

My question is do you like contemporary jazz/jazz fusion or do you prefer smooth jazz?
Please state your reason,why you like or dislike either format.

There's a reason why I'm posting this,and I hope you will understand in the end where I'm coming from.
Thanks

[[Notice,I didn't mention Straight Ahead,Bop,Mainstream or Free Jazz, because that's a different subject,and a different style of jazz, which I by the way love ! :) )

ms_m
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Geetee, in the late 70's when the smooth jazz format hit the scene, all the artist you mentioned were a cornerstone of the genre, several years later when I heard Luther and Smokes on a smooth jazz station I almost fell out of my chair.

Like most things in this industry it was a matter of dollar and cents and the stations simply were not getting enough to sustain themselves in a strictly smooth jazz/fusion format. The purist were always hating [[think Wynton) and the casual listener never really got down with instrumentals. [[some folks need the words to help fuel their imagination)

I have an extensive smooth jazz collection consisting mostly of the artists you name. Fusion could be as commercial as so call smooth jazz grooves but in my view it was pretty much the same in the beginning, just another way to market the music.

Cali stations are a great source for the genre these days although they too mix "smooth soul" with the smooth jazz, but again it's just a name...some music from the genre you feel some you don't, just like any other genre.
....and so it goes

ms_m
08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I should rephrase that and say, most of the artists you name, not all.

ms_m
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Geetee, the more I think about this the more I have to laugh. In a way, it's like the new format. People had gotten use to the old format, they were comfortable with it and liked it, now that it's changed, many are upset...but what makes SDF, the format or the people that post?

This joint drives me up a friggin wall but until someone gets smart and kicks me out, I 'll keep coming back...sucky back ground and all:) Why, because I can always find SOMETHING that appeals to me in the mist of all the chaos. That's how I feel about smooth jazz or any other musical genre.

paladin
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmmmm this is going to be tricky. I understand both viewpoints and can accept them on thier own terms. I have never really gravitated to so called "Smooth Jazz" because in and of itself "Jazz" for the most part has always been veiwed universally as smooth. You know cool cats, hip dudes and woman who were laid back and enjoyed the various grooves in the tracks.

The so called smooth jazz stations at startup had it right but as Ms. M indicated something broke down after its initial run and all of a sudden you were hearing Marvin Gaye [[not Trouble Man Soundtrack), Smokey Robinson, Luther, and others like them for no apparent reason other to to garner listeners.

Smooth Jazz at that point to me was no more than background music for work or my trip to the local grocery store. Meanwhile artists like Walter Beasly, George Howard, Kirk Whalum, Gerald Albright and others were basically ignored although they were natural heirs to Sonny Criss, Grover, Rollins and others.

I would have to say GT, that I like comtemporary jazz better overall, because I simply refuse to have a format shoved down my throat that is far removed from what it actually is! I have no problem with the music itself, but to be fooled by corporate America is not one of my failings. Now if "smooth jazz" playlists gets the listener to seek out and explore the history of the music, then I'm all for it, but to accept this music as defined by corperate America is a big mistake. Reminds me somewhat of those famous lines used by Dick Clark, "...its got a nice beat and easy to listen to"........right........he was general as hell but didn't have the inclination to say any record was rock, roll or blues.......pretty smart if you ask me.......

ms_m
08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Yo, Have Gun LOL
who came up with the genre Blues, Rock, Soul....can I get a collective......CORPORATE AMERICA....even if you find one person who first coined a word or phrase for what is all essentially MUSIC.....it was still pushed/marketed by the suits.

We get so caught up in labels sometimes it's really scary. For some, having a nice beat and easy to listen may rock their world, for others having an intricate musical passage may be their bliss.

I understand where you and Gee are coming from but guys, music is.....it just is. You either like certain music or you don't. I was thrown when Luther started playing on what I had gotten use to as Smooth Jazz just as I was first thrown by Miles, Bitches Brew... I'm not big on most hip hop or rap [[and NO did not get into Sugar Hill Gang) but I can't get too upset with those that do. [[like that sort of thing)

It's like I said on the old forum, some things move you [[Like the Hamsters Dance song) and some things don't. WE place importance on the labels... but the music will be and has always been...just is.

Think about it this way....if somehow someway corporate America were able to convince people that Marvin was a C/W artist, would you suddenly start hating MG cause you may not like C/W? Yeah that's a bit of a stretch but you get my drift. It's not the label that's really important.

I pretty much drifted away from SMOOTH Jazz Stations mainly because they don't play what I really want to hear on a consistent basis....but someone does or the stations would not still be surviving, especially when you think of how many that have bit the dust.

One of the reasons I brought up Wynton [[Marsalis) is because his purist , snooty attitude towards jazz has always confounded me. One of the people he claims to revere once said....and I paraphrase, if it sounds good to YOU, it's good music....and that came from Mr Duke Ellington.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks ms_m and paladin for responding. What I would like to do is invite those that are interested,to listen to my program next Thursday night. [[9pm-midnight cst http://whpk.org)

I'm doing a 3 hour special dedicated to contemporary jazz/jazz fusion. What you will hear will be music that should be played on the smooth jazz formats,but are ignore. Plus, I found a article the I will discuss about smooth jazz. [[it may change your way of thinking about smooth jazz) [[?)

ms_m
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Give me a heads up before next week. So much is happening in my personal world it's nOt easy making plans or even remembering I have them.....LOL

I'm open to any articles on the label [[genre) and nothing will change my mind about the moniker smooth jazz being nothing more than a label but bring on the article.:)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
For the time being,you can listen to our afternoon show. I mentioned it today on "News From the Service Entrance."
http://whpk.org/temp/201008051330.mp3

chidrummer
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
To get back to your original question, I think there fairly clear lines of distinction between Fusion artists and Smooth Jazz artists. In a nutshell, fusion tends to be more demanding in terms of melody, form and improvisation. Smooth Jazz, on the other hand, is usually more accessible. A trad-jazz piano buddy of mine, said it best I think, the genre ought to be called Instrumental R&B and leave Jazz out of it. I kind of break it down like this:

Fusion Artists: - Weather Report, RTF, [[early) Stanley Clarke, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Billy Cobham, Santana [[as Devidip), Tony Williams [[Lifetime), Mike Stern, Dave Weckl, Special FX, [[early) Headhunters, Jean-Luc Ponty, Pat Metheny

Smooth Jazz Artists - Stanley Turrentine, Tom Browne, The Crusaders, George Duke, Spyro Gyra, George Benson, Grover Washington, Bob James, David Benoit, Norman Brown, Steely Dan, Lee Ritenour, Tom Scott, David Sandborn

I think Miles started out Fusion and became Smooth. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I see your point,but I think some of the artist you mention in you smooth jazz catagory should be listed as contemporary jazz artist,simply because the smooth jazz format doesn't play their music.

Stanley Turrentine [[even though he drift back and forth from straight ahead jazz to contemporary jazz from time to time)
Tom Browne [[too funky for smooth jazz) :)
Crusaders [[early material before "Street Life")
George Duke [[early material)

Steely Dan [[ rock with a mixture of pop,r&b and jazz)

paladin
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Seems to me like we are at small odds here.

Ms M said:
Think about it this way....if somehow someway corporate America were able to convince people that Marvin was a C/W artist, would you suddenly start hating MG cause you may not like C/W? Yeah that's a bit of a stretch but you get my drift. It's not the label that's really important

No because they cant. I think [[ and I may be wrong) that GT, is arguring about affixing the right label to the right product. I mean if you walk into a store and buy a can of tuna and when you opened it up it was Spam! That wouldn't be cool !

Then again I think we all agree w/GT's post he said:

I hope you get my drift. The Smooth Jazz format doesn't work for me,because they play the "usual suspects" and mixes pop and soul/R&B artist in their format,while they puposely omit the artist who's music could fit into the format.

That was cool and we all stated that we gravitated away from the established format, not the original. And even though I dont have an extensive smooth jazz collection, I still enjoy most forms of music whether its labeled or not. I agree that music is color blind, but thats how we find things with labels. I have a similar problem, with the big box stores and their labels, dam if I can find anything I'm looking for, Urban, Pop, Rock,Metal,Classical, Jazz, R&B, New Wave, Punk, too many dam labels, and believe me when I say this, I have found Marvin Gaye and Stevie among others in all of those categories except classical, ooops just remembered found Stevies "Plants Album" in classical !:cool:

GeeTee(HPK)
08-06-2010, 05:13 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying, paladin. If you're going to label music,make sure you use the RIGHT label.

I remember a few summers ago. I attended one of our African Festivals,and one of the acts on the bill was the Jazz Explosion. [[great show,and was well recieved by the audience)
Wayne Henderson
Bobbi Humphrey
Roy Ayers
Ronnie Laws
Lonnie Liston Smith
and the late Jon Lucien

Even though the artists I just mentioned,you don't hear their music on either "today's r&b/classic soul" or "smooth jazz" formats,they can still play. So why is it that their presence on commercial radio ignored ? [[ ha,ha !) :)
Their music recieved airplay during the 70s and early mid 80s. [[before "smooth jazz" dominated and shook things up)

I must say,the people overseas knows what time it is,because they still play their music,and these artist are well recieved,when touring outside the US. :[[

The best thing I can do is [[again invite those that are interested) to listen to my program next Thursday. [[8/12) 9pm-midnight [[cst) [[bookmark it or write it down on your calendar)

Prehaps you will hear where I'm coming from. [[I will post the link for the podcast on SDF,if you're unable to listen on the day of the show)

http://whpk.org and we stream online at iTunes

Doug-Morgan
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM
The discussion may be mute, since "Smooth Jazz" as a radio format aparently had the half life of a dish of ice cream on a hot day. Many "Smooth Jazz" outlets have morphed into "Smooth Rock"or something similar out of ratings necessity, and like other niche formats [[AAA, Alt. Country, Classical), with some notable exceptions, will probably survive best on public radio stations.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Public Radio Station or National Public Radio ?

tsull1
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I like traditional jazz AND smooth jazz, which probably makes me odd, which I am anyway. :>)

Smooth Jazz is great for relaxing, when I'm cooking, or just hanging out at home. Some artists I don't like [[Kenny G) and sometimes it's too repetative for me, but there are some great artists. I particularly like the late, great Wayman Tisdale.

Doug-Morgan
08-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Non-commercial broadcasting in general, not a specific network program. Alt. Country and AAA have found some sucuess in non-commercial radio and, withe the decline of smooth jazz [[or whatever it's morphed into now), it's salvation may be stations like WHPK.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Well, if you take a listen to our station, "smooth jazz" is not played on WHPK. They mainly play straight ahead jazz 6 nights a week. [[see our website and look at our program schedule, http://whpk.org ) The DJs are very serious about their jazz. :)
The reason why I'm doing the jazz fusion show,because the format I'm in charge of,we mix things up a bit. [[so it works best in the 9pm-midnight time slot that I'm on.) :)

ms_m
08-07-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree with Geetee, all the artists you call fusion artists were definitely in the mix of the smooth jazz format during it's inception, as a matter of fact they were part of the mainstay crowd along with many of the other artists you named in the Smooth jazz category. Smooth jazz today has definitely taken a turn from how it started out and I maintain the term was more marketing than actual styling/technique with exceptions. There was a lot of stuff in the beginning that was jacked up but not all fusion was on point either.

Are you familiar with the new "rock jazz" being played by Ed Lewis, LOL....I bet that really makes you crazy, huh? hahahaha

As a musician Chi, I'm really surprise at the rigid stance you take towards the genre.

You know, sometimes, being successful in a particular style of music [[or any creative endeavor) can have serious drawbacks. Once people become accustomed to something they want that style and nothing else. That can make the creative process frustrating for many artists. They become stagnant and can't move in new directions or even build on what they have done in the past.

Sypro Gyro R& B?????...are you kidding me??????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nw-UYxSDdU

ms_m
08-07-2010, 12:40 AM
BTW...Joshua Redman and Kenny Garrett [[and I could name more)are also lumped into the smooth jazz market and one would have to be deaf not to hear the VERY distinctive jazz flava to their compositions.

One more thing, in reading about Ed Lewis and his rock jazz I was surprised to learn he often plays with Wynton....seems homie is lightening up in his old age. Good for him:)

AND....if you MUST put a label out there, Bob James would be more "pop" jazz than R&B....which really underscores my point. It may have elements of other genres but the jazz chords can still be heard. [[in many of the smooth jazz compositions) Seeing many of these artists live and the improvisational skills are evident as well.

The whole thing as far as I'm concerned was about creating/selling music that would appeal to a wider and more diverse market.

ms_m
08-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Who gets to choose the right label....the people that market the music!
A lot of musicians I know detest the labels that are placed on their music....they don't like being confined in that way.

Labels help people to identify, I get that but in the general scheme of things does it really matter? I've heard elements of classical styling in jazz compositions. [[think Keith Jarrett) Is one style diminished over the other? In the mind of a rigid listener....probably, in the mind of those who are willing to expand their view and vision, I say NO.

I'm not saying people have to like it but to dismiss something because it doesn't fit your vision of what it should be seems very unfair to me and I see that waaaay too much in this biz and the creative world in general. If I like it, I like it, doesn't matter what label you place on it.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-07-2010, 01:41 AM
The term "rock jazz" , "jazz rock" etc; is nothing new. That's what fusion was called some years ago. Guitarist Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" and "Wired" albums were lumped in that catagory,back in the 70s. As the older I've become, I've learn to have a certain ear to determine what I can tolerate. I lean more towards mainstream jazz,and the sad thing about it, I can only hear that type of jazz at the station I'm a member of. [[our NPR station no longer plays jazz,it's a all news format) :[[

I can't wait until next Thursday,so I can musically demostrate what is missing on the airwaves. :) [[buckle up !)

ms_m
08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Gee you need to check out 365. Unfortunately I'm referring to their paid subscription but it's worth it because you will be able to find the stations and artists you crave. [[and most without or very little commercial interruption)

The music many of us want is still out there, no matter what genre but since times have changed it takes more effort. It takes more physical, emotional and sometimes financial investment to find it. It is what it is. The suits are in charge like it or not and they will not totally give up their grip ever [[until times end) and consumers will not change it because they spend more effort complaining than doing. It takes a balance of both... complaining and doing to make a difference.

The music scene will NEVER be what it once was. People will either find ways to adapt and look for things that work for, and cater to their wants/needs or, spend the rest of their days bit#$ing about what use to be. [[the latter being much too negative and stressful:))

We have choices..... we can choose to react to any given situation, yet too many are determined to take the easy route and complain, moan , groan and become judgmental which is fine up to a point and at that point, walk away, adapt, or make a difference.

If you didn't have the music in your collection you wanted to hear, if you didn't have an outlet to play and share that music on the airwaves, I could understand the frustration but the fact is....you have everything you need and like. You can hear it at your leisure. With all the latest and greatest gadgets, you can take that music with you anytime and anywhere but yet, that's not enough.....you [[collective you) want it the way it was back in the day......LOL...shrugs

GeeTee(HPK)
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm familair with Live 365. [[we were once streaming there,before we had our own server) At WHPK,we do Public Service Announcements, [[very short ads) and were FREE ! [[ I gave you a invititation to check us out a year or so ago,but ....)

Yes,we all have choices,but what I'm trying to do is suggust another outlet,for those that may be tired of hearing the same ole sections every hour of the day. [[not trying to sound like a broken record....)

No, I don't really want it the that is way that is was back in the day,because [[and I'm not trying to be a smart @#%) but I pretty much have it that way. :) [[ask a few of the folks on the forum,that's familiar with what I do. We're small,but slowing growing... That's the reason why I do what I do. It's called community servive. :)

Later this month,we will be celebrating 63 years on the air. [[that's more than most commercial stations life span on the air,so we must be doing something right) :) Once a year,we do a pledge drive. [[like most non-commercial radio stations)
It helps keep us on the air,and to do maintenence and to puchase equiptment we need to stay on the air.

Every DJ on WHPK is in charge of the music selection. [[no strict guide lines,no PD breathing down our necks,telling us what we can or and not to play) We cater to our listeners,and understand their musical needs.

When you have a free moment,please go to our website, http://whpk.org and take a look at our program schedule.

I'm just another small outlet in a major city. I'm sure there other cities that have either a college station or a non-commercial station in their city. That's what I listen to,because I know what their mission is.
It's a small outlet,but the dedicated listeners truly understand and appreicate what the "little guys" are doing. [[for FREE !) :) It's a labor of love,and the love for the music. ;) Hugs ! :)

catwoman55
08-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Hey, y'all... I'd like to chime in here, if I may. Getting straight to G.'s question:
My question is do you like contemporary jazz/jazz fusion or do you prefer smooth jazz?:
I like contemporary jazz/jazz fusion, and I DO NOT PREFER what they're calling "smooth jazz" these days. I like the former because whether an artist puts elements of other genres, e.g. rock, R&B, classical, hip-hop, or [[even) gospel, I still hear the basic elements of jazz in their works. While my tastes in music genres is said to be eclectic by some, jazz has always had a special place in my heart. Of the two types of jazz that G. mentioned, jazz fusion is quite special to me, as the music evokes special times and places in my early adulthood journey. It is also special since listening to that type of music helped me learn to appreciate the straight-ahead jazz that I liked, but pretty much dismissed or took for granted-- the music I grew up with, along with Motown, Stax, the Chicago Sound and the other popular R&B/soul music of the day. Now, this "smooth jazz" is another story... Quite simply, much of it reminds me of the "elevator music" or "Muzak" I used to hear on certain FM stations, and I don't like that kind of sound. And, I hear no elements of jazz as I know it through this music. I've pretty much gotten used to labels in this business, but, hell, like Kdub wrote, if you're gonna label something, label it correctly. If I had to label this "smooth jazz", I'd simply call it "pop music", with the emphasis on "pop", as in light and fizzy...

I do respect the opinions of others who may disagree and like that kind of music. It just is what it is - we all have our likes & dislikes. But, I have to say that I appreciate it when G. does those jazz fusion special episodes on his show because I no longer hear this wonderful music anywhere else on the radio and I think it's a damn shame. So, he [[as well as the other DJ's who play jazz on HPK) are providing a valuable community service, and [[like G. said) it's FREE of charge. Ms. M, 365 is a nice idea, but I guess I just don't feel like I should pay for a service to hear the kind of jazz I really like.

I went on here a bit long, but that's my take on it...

GeeTee(HPK)
08-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks Cat,for appreciating what I do at 'HPK and thanks for adding you voice to this thread. :)

splanky
08-08-2010, 08:23 AM
There were maybe 5 or 6 artists working in the "genre" known as smooth that were doing some interesting things for my
tastes. I remember Kim Pensyl being one. Outside of that the format as it was presented on radio featured mostly artists
many whom I liked otherwise, doing things I would never consider jazz at all. It was the epitome of pretentious radio
programming.
I liked and still own and listen to quite a bit of Fusion which could be at different times very hot as in Herbie Hancock's
Chameleon or very lush as in Weather Report's A Remark You Made. I doubt anyone would ever expect to hear Miles Davis's
Run The Voodoo Down on a smooth jazz station though I do remember CD101 playing Human Nature.
Anyway, I don't really have a dog in this race. I'll take 20's New Orleans, 30's Swing, 40's Bebop, 50's Cool and Hard Bop,
60's Modal, Free and Soul jazz over any "smooth jazz music" any day...

GeeTee(HPK)
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I understand Splanky where you coming from. From the very beginning,the format was alright,UNTIL the format changed the groove and became more polished and slick sounding. UGG !!!! :mad: [[can't stomach it now. It reminds me if I'm waiting to see the dentist,or I'm in the elevator waiting to get to my destination) :rolleyes:

My whole reason for this thread,is to acknowledge a form of music that's pretty much lost in the shuffle today.

Check out the link,and maybe you will see where I'm coming from. http://www.chicagosmoothjazz.com
If you like it,I love it ! lol :D Hopefully I'll hear from most of you this coming Thursday. :cool:

ms_m
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
But that's my point Gee, everything you want, everything you like, everything you want to hear you already have the ability to do it and yes for FREE....hahahaha

I can appreciate you wanting others to have this same ability but they do...heck, they can listen to you, or the others that are doing the same.

Bottom line Gee and this goes for other things as well as music, I guess I'm getting tired of folks focusing on what they don't have, use to have, had but don't have anymore.... and not enough on what they do have now....it's my pet peeve and curse in life I guess... sue me:)

Sorry if I didn't respond to your 365 invite. I get a lot of email on several different email servers. If it's not something that I'm familiar with right away or doesn't have a subject that I immediately recognize, I'll probably ignore it or sometimes it goes to my spam folder which I also ignore. Please don't take it personally, it wasn't meant as a slight. I'm really funny about opening emails I'm not comfortable with.

ms_m
08-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Splanky I heard Miles' album On The Corner quite a bit on smooth jazz stations back in the 70's. Critics and purist dogged him out about that album.

I don't like everything Miles did but I respect the fact he wasn't afraid to try new things with his music. He refused to be pigeon holed and I dug that and still dig that about him.

ms_m
08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
The more I read through this thread the more I realize many of you are actually making many of my points. You like what you like and that's cool but just because you don't like something doesn't have to mean it's bad...it just means YOU don't like it.

As I said earlier I have an extensive smooth jazz collection and a lot of it is extremely intricate. I also have fusion, country, world music, reggae, rock, heavy metal, rag, experimental jazz, Streisand, Sinatra, classical and of course soul and much more.

I LOVE MUSIC...many times I may not be able to tell you the name of the tune, most times can't tell you what album it came from and could care less when, where, or how it was produced or what session musicians played on it.....don't really care about the label/genre, just the music. That's just me. shrugs

GeeTee(HPK)
08-09-2010, 12:35 AM
ms-m,
My invite for you to listen to my show was not through Live 365,but with what I do once a month on 'HPK. [[remember a few of us were posting our show info on a thread you suggested. Big Murph,Classic Master, Richard and myself )

In fact, I have posted mp3 links on both the main forum and in the clubhouse for anyone's listening pleasure,but it's water under the bridge. :)

I will post a reminder about the show in this thread on Wednesday,and perhaps Thursday. [[the day of the show,and on the "Today On WHPK" thread,a few hours before the show )

ms_m
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I'll do my best to remember Gee but the reminder would definitely be appreciated.:)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Will do. I'll repost in a few days.

cozmic
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Sypro Gyro R&B?????...are you kidding me??????

That was a great performance Miss M ! Thanx for sharing.

Another dig from their earlier work :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSipyFS5nWk

As for George Duke's catalogue. It's imo way too diverse to mainly file it under smooth or instrumental R&B.
I mean, the cat started recording/performing with Cannonball Adderly's Quintet :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWX_qWmEqIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYLoF2F55s

Then he recorded his very first solo-albums during the mid to late 60's, and became a touring-member of
Frank Zappa's "Mothers Of Invention" during the early 70's. Frank's work wasn't excactly easy to play. Quite complex stuff.
Check on youtube an anecdote of Zappa's former drummer Terry Bozzio. He tells about auditioning for Frank's band.
George and Frank were choosing which drummers could pass for another round, but most drummers were dropping like flies lol !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq1lZGqpUY

During his Mothers Of Invention-years, George continued recording for another label called MPS. That was a great experimental era,
as GeeTee already mentioned before. Some stuff from those years :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7f5Ct4YJ2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BALVPH4KVvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5OqlwCOec

Not to forget the quartet he formed around the 70's with Billy Cobham, Alphonso Johnson and John Scofield :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg86di2p34c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReGGPNQpz0o

They reunited years later :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ikhatPxNE

George still released here and there tight instrumental work [["Fuzzzion" [[1989 : featuring a few of his former jazzrock-buddies Alphonso Johnson, Jean-Luc Ponty, etc...) /
"Bus Tours" [[1992) / "Ten Mile Jog" [[2002 : eleven and a half minutes of raw energy), although he may have indeed went more towards r&b/pop, especially as producer for
artists like Dee Dee Bridgewater, Deniece Williams, Howard Hewett, Jeffrey Osborne, Rufus, Seawind, Stephanie Mills, Taste Of Honey, etc...

Some of Tom Browne's rawer stuff :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9UwNfM0xus

Lee Ritenour & the late great Tommy Bolin recording on Alphonse Mouzon's album :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0vsw5hYyso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRj02qk1K0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USnlDY7dCik

Tell me how these below are easier accessible to play :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muGutkmB1Jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZFMUnFVdpI

ms_m
08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
OUTSTANDING musical retrospect COZMIC!

Many of the media labeled smooth jazz artist are extremely diverse. What most people hear on the radio is usually what a larger more diverse demographic will embrace or accept in a more commercial setting. I'm with Tsull on Kenny G, I happen to think he tends to be the most boring, redundant cat on the planet but even Kenny G has done a few things that would surprise people. [[a tad few....LOL)

Labels too often limit an artist....typecast them if you will. People hear smooth jazz and often will automatically dismiss someone without doing more research on their work and catalog. It's the way it works in this biz and I do understand the necessity. I also understand how smooth grooves/smooth soul or whatever was thrown in the mix but that only muddies the waters most of the time. Once again, it is what it is but the music people want to hear is out there. Much of the problem, we have become spoiled from the old days where we didn't have to look too hard or too long to find it.

Daddy acey made a comment in another thread about baby boomers that made me laugh. Maybe one day when I find more time I'll expand on his words.:)

Thanks Coz, great clips.

cozmic
08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Thank you too for your comment and you're welcome Ms. M ! :cool:

Yeah, Kenny G's days with Jeff Lorber's Fusion are another chapter lol :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD6Z15GpcLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48P2sUrbM0Q

cozmic
08-10-2010, 08:54 AM
OUTSTANDING musical retrospect COZMIC!
Labels too often limit an artist....typecast them if you will. People hear smooth jazz and often will automatically dismiss someone without doing more research on their work and catalog. It's the way it works in this biz and I do understand the necessity. I also understand how smooth grooves/smooth soul or whatever was thrown in the mix but that only muddies the waters most of the time. Once again, it is what it is but the music people want to hear is out there. Much of the problem, we have become spoiled from the old days where we didn't have to look too hard or too long to find it.

This reminds me actually of an interview with Jeff Lorber, which was done by one of our members here, Dj Funk-O-Nots.
Jeff told that at the time, Clive Davis was very supportive about Jeff's fusion-recordings, but eventually tried to
direct him more to recording vocal tracks. This was around the era that Clive started to intensively support the
upcoming Whitney Houston. Around the same year, Jeff released his "Step By Step"-album with a number of
guest vocalists such as Audrey Wheeler and James "Crabs" Robinson [[fomerly in the band Change).

cozmic
08-10-2010, 09:11 AM
BTW...Joshua Redman and Kenny Garrett [[and I could name more)are also lumped into the smooth jazz market and one would have to be deaf not to hear the VERY distinctive jazz flava to their compositions.

I've attended indeed great shows by them. I'm still planning to check the jazz-movie "Kansas City" by Jonathan Demme, and in which Joshua appears. Kenny's history is interesting too, starting in the group Out of The Blue,
and in Miles' band after that. I've noticed somtimes that he gets confused with the other Kenny, Mister Gorelick lol.
Maybe that's why Kenny Garrett is sometimes filed under smooth jazz.

ms_m
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Kenny Garrett's, Simply Said seems to be the tune that gets airplay. I happen to like the song because it lives up to it's name [[in a good way) but when you play the tracks from the rest of that CD you go whoaaaa...this cat is heavy.

Spyder calls me a "suit." I guess I could be offended by that but in a way he is right, I am a suit but a suit who LOVES MUSIC so I tend to see both sides of the coin.

cozmic
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey thanks for that Kenny-info Ms. M ! I'll be checking that album sometime :cool:

ms_m
08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
He has quite a discography but Simply Said seems to have placed him out there in the main stream. You can hear clips form the CD here.
http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Said-Kenny-Garrett/dp/B00000JC6E

Ironically, that tune is what made me aware of Garrett because I wasn't aware of him until that song. See that's the irony in labels. As a consumer if you don't allow yourself to be confined by the label you can hear things you didn't know existed.

Ronnie Mac's last CD was played in smooth jazz formats here in the States. As a suit, I'm was over the moon to get airplay anywhere we could get it.....LOL

music BUSINESS....need I say more....hahahahaha

cozmic
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks again Ms. M ! I actually remember now receiving once a cdr-copy of that Kenny-album a few years back ... oh boy, lol, ...
... i forgot to double-check the title. I've had a major shift with my collection being stored for half a year somewhere else because
of intensive fix-jobs in my house. This last half year my collection returned safe home, but a lot of cd's and lp's got mixed up, due
to fast packaging all of them in boxes lol. But i've heard Kenny's album indeed a few times and it's a great album with different moods.
"Simply Said" is a wonderful track and really embodies the title. Great that you discovered his work and cool that Ronnie Mac get's airplay !

Keep up the biz ! :cool:

ms_m
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with this industry but I'll do my best Coz.
TKS:)

ollie
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I like good music, no matter what genre it's called. This might fit in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uO_ACbaRlg

Many nice artists already mentioned. What 'bout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io8YcOAanfo

smooth funky jazz fusion peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUI9s-Jtr8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcbwFQblAVY&feature=relatedbass

crazy bass fusion Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea and Lenny White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPv5P-G4tQ

some funky smooth jazz to come back to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0oxkwvO4_4

another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDszbE1AQU8

i like this as well, my man, bad guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf1J5gaI7LM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcbwFQblAVY&feature=related

shouldn't be in this section, but it slipped in. Listen to the smooth jazzy kind of guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXmBZI23hk&feature=related

long ago we lsiten to this peace a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8Py6YR0kM

kevgo
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Whew! What a hell of a thread! I guess I gotta say that I dig contemporary jazz as well as fusion and some smooth jazz. What I do not like is how commercial radio felt that they needed to incorporate classic soul vocals into the mix. When CD 101.9 in NYC started playing the Chi-lites' "Oh Girl" I knew the format was in trouble.

Ms. M is so right about the jazz chops of Kenny G...I saw the man in person at the Eastman Theater in Rochester NY [[summer 1989) and his game is tight.

BTW - does "The Wave" still exist in the west coast?

Kevin Goins - KevGo

ms_m
08-10-2010, 04:10 PM
The soul vocals threw me initially as well Kev-Go but I changed my tune when Ronnie Mac was placed in the mix. Airplay equals record sales, ya dig? Plus it didn't stop me from listening to these stations every now and then although, I prefer listening to my personal playlist more.

It's all about marketing which is much of what I've been trying to say from the beginning. [[with a few twist and turns along the way....LOL) We may not always like and or appreciate that aspect of this biz but in general terms it's always been this way. In specific terms it's a new ball game but generally speaking, marketing/advertising/money rules the day and that dictates the play list for commercial radio.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Well I'm glad to see that this thread has grown some legs. :) [[thanks Cozmic and Ollie for the youtube clips)

The first two recordings of Kenny G, I happen to like,until he fell off. [[at least it had some soul to it) :)

It's Wednesday morning, [[a day away from the program I'm putting together) I invite anyone that's will and able,to please tune in to my program,Thursday night. I guarantee you will hear some forgotten gems,plus a very important message dealing with the "smooth jazz" format,that you don't want to miss !

9pm-midnight [[cst) http://whpk.org and iTunes. [[podcast will be posted the next morning,here and on the "Today On WHPK" thread)
Thanks

GeeTee(HPK)
08-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's a sample of what you might hear tomorrow night at 9pm[[cst),on http://whpk.org.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPh8bqTFgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fP3kPFAl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksWyHsYw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqsC8s5J9A

ladyvanaye
08-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Unbelievable...I burned that Nancy Wilson song the other day for my parking attendant. Ill tell him to tune in. :) PS - does this mean you will be incorporating the much needed Jazz - smooth, fusion et al into a new format at 'HPK? :)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
LOL ! :) No,just doing my part to keep a certain style of jazz alive,that's widely forgotten today.
[[and I'm saving the best for tomorrow night. :) ) IT'S ON !!!!!!!!

GeeTee(HPK)
08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I remember when this album was released. The "pure" jazz critics hated it. This was Miles comeback album,from taking a 5 year hiatus. Many thought he would have returned to his roots of straight ahead/post bop jazz,and not leave off in the electric funk fusion of the 70s.

This was a new band that was backing up Miles. [[Mike Stern,Bill Evans,Marcus Miller,Sammy Figueroa etc;.Drummer Al Foster was the only senior member of the Miles camp)

Miles always march to the beat of his own drum. [[love it or hate it, it's Miles !) :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbWbvzA-rE

GeeTee(HPK)
08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Don't forget,tonight's the night. 9pm-midnigh [[cst)

http://whpk.org and iTunes [[look under College/University) :cool:

ollie
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Great stuff on here. Classic, Blues, Jazz, Funk, R&B, Soul, Gospel, Country it's all in the mix. It's a mix of all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAfVsuVEYD0

one of my all time favorite Leny and Verdine White playing a real tight section. Yeah, every time i hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAz36yKWbsU

soounds smooth somehow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND74PqyM_yU&p=06EC394E2BD09B5A&playnext=1&index=45

my first encounter with fusion in life a band called OPA from the south. Love there music. Airto Moira and Flora Purim also perform on the albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXibZFeJ9ZU&feature=related

GeeTee(HPK)
08-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks again for posting the clips,Ollie. I hope you will be tuning in,as well. :)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm getting my selections together,and heading out the door. I'll talk to you at 9pm.[[cst) :)

paladin
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Gary you are a master, your show is popping...oK time for another Stella, if ya'll aint listening to him now, shame on you !

http://www.whpk.org/stream/

catwoman55
08-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Amen, Kdubya...I'm over here, partyin' like it's 1974...LOL Gino Vanelli right now...I'm in heaven :)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks gang ! :)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
and I'm just getting warmed up. ;)

ms_m
08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
I KNEW your article would go there...BUT....what did I say?...A marketing idea!!! HELLO!

catwoman55
08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Keep playin' that "urban", "jungle" music, G.! Now, I'm back in 1976...Time travelin' thru the music tonite, yes SIR...

chidrummer
08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
One of my favorites from Lenny White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbXXVHDiDVQ

cool stuff

GeeTee(HPK)
08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Will do,the night is still young. :)

ollie
08-13-2010, 02:14 AM
great GeeTee, keep doing what your doing

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks ollie,and thanks everybody for listening. The 3 hours zoomed,but I hope I was able to get my point across musically.
I want to thank my co-host,Ms Tina M. Howell for sitting in,and help putting the word out.

In case you missed it or want to hear the show again,the podcast link is up and ready. Thanks again,and who knows,when we might cross this musical path again. [[I still didn't get a chance to play everything,but you get the idea of where I'm coming from) :-) Good Morning ! :) http://whpk.org/temp/201008122100.mp3

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
If any members on SDF living in or near the Long Beach area, this weekend is the Long Beach Jazz Festival. [[8/13-8/15)

Friday night is the reunion of Wayne Henderson and Joe Sample of the Legendary Crusaders. rummer Stix Hooper will not be on board,due to the fact that he's operarting a business out of Washington state,and is no longer working as a musician. :-[[
Also missing from the reunion show is saxophonist Wilton Felder. Felder collasped with what was later diagnosed as a growth on his spine that paralyzed him from the waist down. He's unable to play his horn at the moment. :[[
Filling in for Felder is Steve Grove [[aka Euge Groove) ,Joe's son Nick Sample on upright bass and drummer Moyes Lucas.

Saturday's show will be a all-star tribute to the late saxophonist Gtover Washington Jr. led by keyboardist Jason Miles and featuring saxophonist Ronnie Laws and vocalist Chante Moore.

Sunday's bill will include singer Al Jarraeu,keyboardist George Duke, bassist Marcus Miller revisting the album he produced for Miles Davis in 1986 "Tutu" ,with trumperter Christian Scott and vocalist Laura Izibor.

Special thanks to A.Scott Galloway,for alerting me about this fantastic show. [[I wish I could be in Long Beach this weekend) :[[
This lineup has contemporary jazz / jazz fusion marked all over it. [[no "smooth jazz" here,so there's still hope !) :)

I'm sending my prayers for Wilton Felder,and hope he recuperates and gets well.

ollie
08-13-2010, 10:59 AM
get the idea, yes. Good vibes come from speakers that blow out real music, played by people with a good taste. Good show. Will listen to it completley this evening. Thx for the link.
Sad to hear Mr Felder isn't doing well, i hope he'll be back as before. Admirable musician and human being.

paladin
08-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Man, dude I wish I could be in Long beach for this show. Guess I'll have to settle for this !

Appearing August 14 at Country Club Hills......going to check on tickets now, I had forgot about this set......:cool::cool::cool:

Although I have some reservations about this set....hmmmmmmmmmm

paladin
08-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Uh Oh, tickets that are left are a bit pricey for me......maybe next time lol.........guess I'll have to make a run to Peabody's .....and Smokey on the 24th is sold out...oh well

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I heard about the George Duke/David Sanborn show too late in order for me to go,but I'm going to try and get a ticket for this show.

Saturday August 21st at Chicago Symphony Center 7:30 pm
http://cso.org

momotown
08-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Kevgo, the Wave is still here on the West Coast. In the early '90s, I thought this station was the bomb for smooth jazz listening . I can't express my surprise and disappointment the first time I heard the likes of Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Anita Baker, etc., being played. I have nothing against these artists, as a matter of fact, I like them, but not as a part of the "smooth jazz" format. Needless to say, I'm no longer as loyal a listener.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
That's what happens when "the power that be" comes in and mix things up,for #s & $$$. :[[

marv2
08-13-2010, 05:38 PM
I know what you mean GETEE. They ditched the "Kool Jazz " station here in NYC several years ago. I missed it for only a moment mainly because it had gotten a bit ridiculous playing artists such as Michael McDonald and Seal on a regular basis. What they had become was an Adult Comptemporary mess masquerading as a Jazz station. I was lost, but now that I've found Planet Jazz out of Montreal [[ http://planetejazz.ca/) , I'm cool again. Montreal is truly the Jazz Capital of North America. They have such an appreciation and respect for Jazz [[in all of it's forms ) that I have not seen here in the States in many,many years.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 07:17 PM
In order to hear "real good music" of any genre, it's mainly on the internet,low powered college or community oriented radio,or satellite radio. [[if you feel you want to play to be satified) If you're waiting on commercial radio to be your outlet, keep waiting ......... :)

When the FCC allow major corperation to buy chains of radio stations,that was the end there. Clear Channel is the #1 villian,when it comes to radio. [[there are others the follow along the line,but Clear Channel monopolized the game !)

Thank God, I never landed a job in commercial radio. I love the freedom I have to do what I do,and still have a life. :)
If you notice last night,I played very few Public Service Announcements,and focused more on the music.
[[ I couldn't have gotten away with that on commercial radio,or as Donald Trump would have say "You're Fired !" ) :)

We don't even have a commercial station the plays mainstream,bop,or big band jazz. You have to hear it on the left end of the dial. I find it funny that we have one of the largest jazz festivals in Chicago,but no jazz on the airwaves. [[except "smooth jazz") :)

Look at the lineup for this year's Chicago Jazz Festival. http://www.chicagofestivals.net [[go to the right side,and click jazz festival)

By the way, lots of good feedback from last night show. Thanks for listening,and Part 3 may be coming sooner than you think. :D :cool: [[stay tuned .............)

paladin
08-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Gary are you shhhhhhtttttnnnnnnnn me ? What line up ? O man O man we are losing it, I thought the only drought was the African Fest, now this.......Ramsey & Norman Brown......but really no one else, uh excuse me Ernie Watts is cool, but I'm just saying......

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 08:24 PM
What can I say ? I don't know who's in change of putting the lineup together,but it is what it is. The local acts on the other stage,are worth seeing. I guess I'll have to settle for the Hyde Park Jazz Festival. http://hydeparkjazzfestival.org
The best of the best of Chicago jazz musicians and vocalists,and it's FREE ! :D :cool:

catwoman55
08-13-2010, 08:28 PM
That's a busy weekend here, too, for festivals. I do believe that the North Coast Festival is that weekend, too, at Union Park. Quite an interesting, eclectic lineup, too... And, I like that venue...Comfy, cozy and just steps away from the El :)

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Flip a coin,see what it lands on,and make your decision from there. lol :-) Lot's of options ......

marv2
08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
One of the World's best Jazz Festivals is the Annual Montreal Jazz Festival that runs for 2 consecutive weeks every July! They've been at it for over 25 years and know how to put on great shows and concerts.

Now, if you want to talk about losing it. Ever hear of the "Kool Jazz Festival" aka " The Riverfront Jazz Festival" in Cincinnati? It has morphed into a hip-hop throw the sink in type stadium concert thing. It's been going steadily down hill for over 20 years now.

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I remember the Kool Jazz Festival. I guess some things will never stay the same. As I mentioned earlier,the Long Beach Jazz Fest,sounds like the place to be this weekend.

paladin
08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Went to "Kool" in Cincy and Milwaukee as well as here in the city, in fact when e mail's came along, it inspired my address..........now as far as travels go
I have been a traveling man most of my life just ask somebody..........

Kdub

GeeTee(HPK)
08-14-2010, 06:44 PM
nice logo,very fitting for you. :)

cozmic
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I remember when this album was released. The "pure" jazz critics hated it. This was Miles comeback album,from taking a 5 year hiatus. Many thought he would have returned to his roots of straight ahead/post bop jazz,and not leave off in the electric funk fusion of the 70s.

This was a new band that was backing up Miles. [[Mike Stern,Bill Evans,Marcus Miller,Sammy Figueroa etc;.Drummer Al Foster was the only senior member of the Miles camp)

Miles always march to the beat of his own drum. [[love it or hate it, it's Miles !) :cool:

And singer Randy Hall on the title-track :cool:

GeeTee(HPK)
08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Yep,and a few other Chicago musicians were on that album. [[Felton Crews and Robert Irving III)

cozmic
08-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Well I'm glad to see that this thread has grown some legs. :) [[thanks Cozmic and Ollie for the youtube clips)

The first two recordings of Kenny G, I happen to like,until he fell off. [[at least it had some soul to it) :)
You're welcome GeeTee [[i'm late with this, lol). Yeah, and indeed great clips yall !

I remember buying Kenny G's debut-album and the second albumtrack being an instant favorite, although a more vocal song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1qopR9cnc

This was in that mode of Jeff Lorber's vocal productions.

cozmic
08-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep,and a few other Chicago musicians were on that album. [[Felton Crews and Robert Irving III)
:cool: And they were part of Randy's band too when he went solo. Former drummer and nephew of Miles, Vince Wilburn, Jr. was part of Randy's band as well. Vince toured also with Cameo.

cozmic
08-14-2010, 07:19 PM
One of my favorites from Lenny White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbXXVHDiDVQ

cool stuff
Awesome album indeed ! "12 Bars from Mars" ... great silly title lol !
I also often played "Time" with that tight break of Lenny with Marcus Miller.

cozmic
08-14-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBBI-tAYbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBBI-tAYbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GT8_hi17Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZdS-buoasE

ollie
08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
GeeTee the selection reminds me of a 2 club i used to play, Cape Coast and Mile Smiles. Always jazz fusion as we called it back then. Chidrummer great peace from Lenny, what a creative output and drummer.
I think this is smooth as can be. Earlier than the rest but smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLBPDbMh174&feature=related

how about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sW9eU18lU4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IaMKyXSM9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDVhEW0EzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaRYvtCQpXY

always loved this version of this classic tune. Chet Baker on Trumpet, Paul Desmond Altsax, Ron Carter Bass, Steve Gadd Drums and Don Sebesky conducting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYeSt8eu3g

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYeSt8eu3g

wow life is good with so much music to choose from.

ollie
08-15-2010, 09:27 AM
oops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS53nSmf_Ck

paul1970
08-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I grew up during the 1970's listening to Smooth Jazz and i'm a big fan of Fusion and to me Smooth Jazz is the music that cats like Grover Washington,Jr,Bob James,David Sanborn,Norman Connors,Earl Klugh..etc were putting out.

Let me post some of my favorites......

Wilbert Longmire - Diane's Dilemma[[1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5wdM1GhfZU

Richard Tee - Now[[1980)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VpD6JZLLE

GeeTee(HPK)
08-16-2010, 06:04 AM
I like the term contemporary jazz instead of smooth jazz,because the artist mentioned above,was the style they were playing.

chidrummer
08-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Wow paul1970. The late, great Richard Tee and you might as well say Stuff back in the day. I haven't seen the cover of Champagne in years. I remember Wilbert being quite proud of this record. Plenty of heavyweights were on this one too. They only played Love's Holiday in Cincinnati at the time though. We all thought he was going to be the next George Benson. That didn't quite happen, but Longmire's rhythm guitarist, Sheldon Reynolds did end up getting the gig with Earth Wind & Fire some years later. Good memories.

paul1970
08-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow paul1970. The late, great Richard Tee and you might as well say Stuff back in the day. I haven't seen the cover of Champagne in years. I remember Wilbert being quite proud of this record. Plenty of heavyweights were on this one too. They only played Love's Holiday in Cincinnati at the time though. We all thought he was going to be the next George Benson. That didn't quite happen, but Longmire's rhythm guitarist, Sheldon Reynolds did end up getting the gig with Earth Wind & Fire some years later. Good memories.

Yeah with Wilbert's talent he should have been at least as big as George Benson or Earl Klugh was.

Here's his version of Love's Holiday which to my mind is better than the EWF/Maurice White version..

Wilbert Longmire - Love's Holiday[[1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRVYdGkPrs

GeeTee(HPK)
08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
When I was doing my show last week, I had some Wilbert Longmire with me,but didn't have the time to play him. I have all three of his Tappan Zee albums,and they're very good. If all goes well,we might end up doing a follow up next month,and I will make sure to play some Wilbert Longmire.

In fact,Wilbert is still active musically in Cincinnati,and you can find him on Facebook.

cozmic
08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Sheldon Reynolds did end up getting the gig with Earth Wind & Fire some years later. Good memories.
I wonder if Sheldon was already part of Byron Byrd's Sun, back then. He recorded with them somewhere between 1979 and 1982.

tamla617
08-21-2010, 10:47 PM
smooth jazz is just a way of getting people who wouldnt know jazz if it landed on them to listen to something so they can say i like jazz.like its got some style to say it.i like jazz,who do you like then? "micheal bubble".what about stevie wonder?is he jazz? all the jazz artists [[fusion,jazz/funk you name it) from 70 whatever have done jazz",smooth" funk ,rough funk,where does the generic jazz get to its smallest point?lift jazz,supermarket jazz,driving my car jazz,airport jazz.soul singers singing jazz,jazz singers singing soul.soul/jazz,jazz/soul.smooth soul.
we got soul singers that sing ballads,mid tempo and uptempo......still soul singers not just one kind of soul singer.
what about grover's"mister magic" and "feels so good" or george duke dont let go,reach for it,from me to you yet we have a list of smooth operators that at sometime have done something "smooth".depending on the style of his/her last album any artist can get from one jazz genre to another that doesnt make sense,feels so good-a secret place a lot of what is called smooth is latin so why did latin get left out?latin/smooth,latin/funk, we're going to vanish into so many genres and sub genres generated by music press critics we wont even know what label to put on the stuff we used to know what it was called by.
as for spiro gyra listen to the album before morning dance,another similar group mezzoforte from iceland they're good aswell bit rough a bit smooth.[[didnt mean it. not rough jazz) just an observation,its all good to me

GeeTee(HPK)
08-22-2010, 02:15 AM
It's just a label. In regards to Grover's CTI recordings and a few of the George Duke recordings that you mentioned,I would say that they would fall under the category of contemporary jazz/jazz fusion. It had a R&B feel with some funk and rock mixed in between.

As I said before,you would not hear on so called "smooth jazz" because it's too funky for that format. :)

tamla617
08-22-2010, 05:25 AM
geetee
you're right,of course.you wouldnt get mister magic on any smooth jazz compilation.
btw i think the spyra gyra track is "pigmy funk",something like that [[its not a genre either!)its so unlike anything they did before or since.i'm not able to find out as i'm nowhere near my stuff.the album was self titled on arista 77/78.worth a listen anyway.

tamla617
08-22-2010, 09:58 AM
geetee
just got home and checked the spyro gyra [[right spelling this time) it was pigmy funk the album has copywrted stuff from 76 and 77

GeeTee(HPK)
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Sorry for not responding back to you right away,tamla617. I haven't listen to Syro Gyra in a long time. I had forgot all about "Pygmy Funk." I use to like the bank,until they started to change their groove. :)

Great news people.Back by popular demand and the great feedback I recieved from the last show,we will do a follow up September 9th. [[same time,same place,and same co-host) :)

There was a lot of music I didn't get a chance to play,so I will do my best to cover those territories,this time.

Any musical suggestions,hit me now,before the 9th of September. Thanks in advance ! :cool:

GeeTee(HPK)
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Tonight on the Dusties Party, our last and final installmemt of our Jazz Fusion show. [[Part 3) Co-host Tina M. Howell and myself will bring to your musical pleasure some great music. We will try our best to play as much great music,time will allow us. 9pm-midnight [[cst) http://whpk.org and iTunes

catwoman55
09-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Alright...Time for the real grown folks music ;)

paladin
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks bro' a most underrated Grover Washington cut, Doc Gibbs was swinging............"Juffure" nuff said..........

catwoman55
09-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Thank you for Flora Purim!! And, Gino Vanelli...Yeah!

GeeTee(HPK)
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
You're welcome, Paladin and Cat. Thanks for listening. :) I'll post the MP3 link in the morning.

GeeTee(HPK)
09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Good morning ! :) As promised,here's the link from last night's show. The show went over a extra hour,and as soon as it's available, I'll post it. In the meantime, I give you this. :cool: http://whpk.org/temp/201009092100.mp3

catwoman55
09-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks, G. Once again, you & Tina did a great job! So, y'all have a rock show on the Dusties Party next week? That sounds exciting :)

Cat

GeeTee(HPK)
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks again,and yes a rock show next Thursday night with King George and Michelle Thompson. [[you know the time,and place) :)

GeeTee(HPK)
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM
I finally was able to get the final our of the Jazz Fusion Show from 9/9/10. This is the last hour that most of you didn't hear,because the show when over a extra hour. [[the next DJ was late) So here's what you missed. [[ listen to how the selection changes,when the Wilbert Longmire track starts to fade out):D Mind you,this is 1 a.m. :D

http://whpk.org/temp/201009100000.mp3