PDA

View Full Version : The four tops second album.

test

franjoy56
08-23-2012, 11:23 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE fOUR tOPS ALBUM IS AVAILABLE ON cd THAT WAS A FABULOUS ALBUM WITH "SOMETHING ABOUT YOU" AND i THINK "lOVING YOU IS SWEETER THAN EVER" AND A FEW OTHERS LIKE "cLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN'? DOES HIPO PLAN TO REISSUE IT..

marv2
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't know, but it would be a huge shame if it is not. I still have all my old original vinyl and have most of the songs from that album on CD but only as part of other collections like the box set.

It is my hope that Hip-O Select would finally get around to given this album and others by the Tops the deluxe treatment.

Roger Polhill
08-23-2012, 11:54 PM
It has been released on CD as a two on one in the UK most recently.It is a wonderful album and should be in every collection. Incidentally "Climb Ev`ry Mountain" is on "Four Tops On Broadway" and has not been released on CD. It`s also available on the magic "Four Tops Live" set which has been on CD and is very hard to find and expensive. If only Hip-O would come to the party.

MotownSteve
08-24-2012, 12:05 AM
The Four Tops Live is available from iTunes for $9.99, at least in the US. I don't know about other markets.

lakedistrictlad1
08-24-2012, 05:54 AM
If you really want to treat yourself you could always purchase the Four Tops second album from Japan. It is soon to be issued as a 'cardboard sleeve mini lp' cd edition.

I have mine on order from 'CDJapan' - who ship all over the world. They are quite pricey but these mini lp editions are great to collect.

Four Tops Reach Out is also being issued at the same time.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-75324

rovereab
08-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Second Album : Four Tops = More Hits : Supremes

Two of the best 1960s albums on Motown IMO.

BigAl
08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
The Four Tops Second Album was, in a very oblique sense, their third, since Motown had planned an album titled Breaking Through, some years before the group hit it big. That album was to be released on the company's short-lived Workshop jazz label, featuring mostly jazz/pop standards. I don't believe it was ever pressed or released but I could be wrong about that. The photo that was to be used on the cover was actually the one used by the illustrator as reference material for the group portrait on the Second Album. Most of the tracks were later released on CD in the UK in 2000 as Lost and Found.

marv2
08-24-2012, 09:42 AM
The Four Tops Second Album was, in a very oblique sense, their third, since Motown had planned an album titled Breaking Through, some years before the group hit it big. That album was to be released on the company's short-lived Workshop jazz label, featuring mostly jazz/pop standards. I don't believe it was ever pressed or released but I could be wrong about that. The photo that was to be used on the cover was actually the one used by the illustrator as reference material for the group portrait on the Second Album. Most of the tracks were later released on CD in the UK in 2000 as Lost and Found.

BigAL, that is interesting. I never knew they released the material from the "Breaking Through" album on CD. Thank you.

masterblaster
08-24-2012, 10:44 AM
On the "Motown Junkies" site, it was mentioned that the Breaking Through album was released in 1999 with the exception of one track. Does anyone know what this track was and what the running orider of the original LP was.

masterblaster
08-24-2012, 10:49 AM
BigAL, that is interesting. I never knew they released the material from the "Breaking Through" album on CD. Thank you.

Just found the "Lost and Found" album that includes most of the Breaking Through tracks on Play.com for £10

144man
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
On the "Motown Junkies" site, it was mentioned that the Breaking Through album was released in 1999 with the exception of one track. Does anyone know what this track was and what the running orider of the original LP was.

It was discussed on SDF in a thread called "Four Tops Breaking Through Question", which I found using this site's advanced search engine. Harry gave the answer that "The Night We Called It A Day" was omitted because the harmonies were a bit off.

Roger Polhill
08-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I don`t think that "I Can`t Get You Out Of My Mind" has been released either. The negative for the cover had been reversed and lengthened.

marv2
08-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Has there been any type of feedback from the company on possibly releasing a deluxe version of this classic album?

jboy88
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM
"Second Album" is available for download on i-Tunes, as are "Reach Out" and "Still Waters"! Those should tie you over until they get around to releasing deluxe editions!

jeff9nyc
08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Second Album : Four Tops = More Hits : Supremes
Two of the best 1960s albums on Motown IMO.

I couldn't agree with you more. Classic Motown at it's best!

stranger56
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
It was discussed on SDF in a thread called "Four Tops Breaking Through Question", which I found using this site's advanced search engine. Harry gave the answer that "The Night We Called It A Day" was omitted because the harmonies were a bit off.

The Night We Called It a Day is actually a great listen. The harmonies falter a little bit, but the song is sung beautifully, with a really nice arrangement.

Roger Polhill
08-31-2012, 08:52 PM
The Night We Called It a Day is actually a great listen. The harmonies falter a little bit, but the song is sung beautifully, with a really nice arrangement.
Wow how did you find a copy of that to listen to.

144man
09-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I don't think an acetate ever turned up for "I Can't Get You Out of My Mind".

Roger Polhill
09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
It is listed in the Motown Sessions twice as that title and "I Just Can`t Get You Out Of My Mind".Hopefully it is on a master tape somewhere.

marv2
09-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Are you guys saying that "I Just Can't Get You Out of My Mind" was never released?

Roger Polhill
09-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Marv, I`ve never seen it. You aren`t thinking of "Can`t Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" on "Yesterday`s Dreams are you.

marv2
09-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Marv, I`ve never seen it. You aren`t thinking of "Can`t Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" on "Yesterday`s Dreams are you.

Roger, I think that is indeed the song I am thinking of as "Yesterday's Dreams" is one of my favorite albums.

marv2
09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Here is the track listing for "Yesterday's Dreams":

Track listingNo. Title Writer[[s) Length
1. "Yesterday's Dreams" [[Bullock/Goga/Hunter/Sawyer) 2:59
2. "Can't Seem to Get You out of My Mind" [[Ashford/Simpson) 3:24
3. "I'm in a Different World" [[Holland/Dozier/Holland) 3:02
4. "We've Got a Strong Love [[On Our Side)" [[Goga/Hunter/Sawyer) 3:10
5. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" [[Jimmy Webb) 3:10
6. "Remember When" [[DeMell/Goga/Hunter) 3:11
7. "Sunny" [[Bobby Hebb) 3:29
8. "Never My Love" [[Addrisi/Addrisi) 3:27
9. "Daydream Believer" [[John Stewart) 3:16
10. "Once upon a Time" [[Adams/Strouse) 2:28
11. "The Sweetheart Tree" [[Mancini/Mercer) 3:00
12. "A Place in the Sun" [[Miller/Wells)

Sotosound
09-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Here is the track listing for "Yesterday's Dreams":

Track listingNo. Title Writer[[s) Length
1. "Yesterday's Dreams" [[Bullock/Goga/Hunter/Sawyer) 2:59
2. "Can't Seem to Get You out of My Mind" [[Ashford/Simpson) 3:24
3. "I'm in a Different World" [[Holland/Dozier/Holland) 3:02
4. "We've Got a Strong Love [[On Our Side)" [[Goga/Hunter/Sawyer) 3:10
5. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" [[Jimmy Webb) 3:10
6. "Remember When" [[DeMell/Goga/Hunter) 3:11
7. "Sunny" [[Bobby Hebb) 3:29
8. "Never My Love" [[Addrisi/Addrisi) 3:27
9. "Daydream Believer" [[John Stewart) 3:16
10. "Once upon a Time" [[Adams/Strouse) 2:28
11. "The Sweetheart Tree" [[Mancini/Mercer) 3:00
12. "A Place in the Sun" [[Miller/Wells)

"Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" is a cool track and was released in the UK as the B-side of "Do What You Gotta Do" back in 1969.

"Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind" was a superb track on "Main Street People" and was released in the UK [[at least) as a single back in late 1973 or early 1974 [[can't remember which).

MIKEW-UK
09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
‘Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind’ was considered to be strong enough by Billy Jackson [[ the man behind The Tymes etc) to produce another release by Eddy Jacobs Exchange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzAmop1SXkQ&feature=player_detailpage

also Jean Terrell and The Supremes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-B33xNkIo

EDDY Jacobs Exchange also released a version of “Black is Black” , originally by Los Bravos but also released on Jimmy Ruffin……..

Jimmy Ruffin extended mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rEur6hhbs&feature=player_detailpage

Eddy Jacobs Exchange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69Zxlav-qY

Sotosound
09-02-2012, 08:15 AM
‘Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind’ was considered to be strong enough by Billy Jackson [[ the man behind The Tymes etc) to produce another release by Eddy Jacobs Exchange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzAmop1SXkQ&feature=player_detailpage

EDDY Jacobs Exchange also released a version of “Black is Black” , originally by Los Lobos but also released on Jimmy Ruffin……..

Jimmy Ruffin extended mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rEur6hhbs&feature=player_detailpage

Eddy Jacobs Exchange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69Zxlav-qY

I'm guessing that you mean Los Bravos...

144man
09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Wow how did you find a copy of that to listen to.

I remember seeing the acetate on a sales list 20-25 years ago. It probably got copied onto a collectors' tape.

Roger Polhill
09-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Thanks 144man. I`d still like to own a copy even if it is below par. I like to "finalise" unreleased albums if that is possible.

blueskies
09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=7dzsr7bdck&ref=upcoming.php

stranger56
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I remember seeing the acetate on a sales list 20-25 years ago. It probably got copied onto a collectors' tape.

I assume you mean you saw an acetate of Just Can't Get You Out of My Mind, which was definitely released on Main Street People.

144man
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I assume you mean you saw an acetate of Just Can't Get You Out of My Mind, which was definitely released on Main Street People.

No. I mean that I saw a sales list from a record dealer with an acetate of "The Night We Called It A Day" on it.

mysterysinger
09-12-2012, 09:02 PM
The album is available on CD as a stand alone [[MOTD 5264) and twice issued as two-fers with their first album. The middle 2fer has been issued in USA and Europe [[ZD72491). The other 2fer was a UK issue [[outer sleeve pic here but the CD has original artwork for both albums including reverse.

mysterysinger
09-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Also, Lost & Found, Breaking Through CD