PDA

View Full Version : StuBass & Bruce visit Motown

test

StuBass1
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd like to thank my old friend Allen Rawls for hosting Bruce and I at The Motown Museum this afternoon. Allen [[Treasurer and CEO) gave us a private tour along with a videographer to capture our memories and recollections of Motown and the Detroit music scene in the 60's [[the videographer happened to be Lamont Doziers daughter). I'd also like to thank the entire great staff at the museum. Allen says he'll send along some of the video and pics soon.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eHiol0pMKpo/UDapAgKNxeI/AAAAAAAAAA0/xli9rUqET9Y/s400/2012-08-23%25252013.38.12.jpg?source=androidclient

ralpht
08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
It would be cool to see some of the pics, Stu. Glad things went well at the studio.

StuBass1
08-24-2012, 10:15 AM
It would be cool to see some of the pics, Stu. Glad things went well at the studio.

I'll see what they come up with. We spent a couple of hours touring and talking about stuff including the terrible Terranas. There was a large public tour going on, so we sort of stayed a bit ahead of that group and ended up with them in Studio A where we all participated in the Supremes and Temptations imitations. We then stayed behind in studio A where we talked a lot more [[including reliving the car accident Allen and I were in back in the 70's) Lol. Lots of interesting things going on. Bruce had some great recollections and stories about many of the Motown artists he worked with in L.A. plus his experienced back at Hitsville in Detroit as a teenager writing lead sheets and playing a few sessions...but the office he worked in was apparently in the building that burned down, and I was able to describe the R&B music scene around Detroit during MY musical heyday and throw in a few stories of my own. We made plans to hook up and be involved in a couple of exciting projects the museum is currently working on, although I won't go into details right now. All in all a real fun and interesting afternoon and it's all on video which I'm anxious to see. Kind of sad to see the deteriorating condition of the city though as we drove down Woodward from Birmingham to West Grand Blvd...but the area around midtown and the Motown studio still looked pretty nice.

StuBass1
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Bruce and I went to meet guitar legend Joe Messina for lunch. We ended up spending 4 hours talking and reminescing. About the greatest 4 hours one could imagine spending with perhaps the nicest and happiest guy on the planet. Former SDF poster Steve Sheppard also dropped by for a visit. All in all...a real treat and learning experience.

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?source=androidclient&fgl=true&pli=1#photo/112986154004355179120/5776255147320228369/5780345597026456834

ralpht
08-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Stu,
How is Joe doing these days? I understood he was dealing with some health issues. I hope he is well. You are right, Stu. They don't come any nicer than Joe Messina.

StuBass1
08-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Happy to report that Joe is looking real good, despite some recent health issues. Spent four hours laughing, telling stories, learning more about music than one could learn in an entire semester at Berklee, and I just wish I could have recorded it all for posterity sake. Some terrific Motown stories too.

ralpht
08-25-2012, 10:50 AM
That is very good news, Stu.