PDA

View Full Version : Girls Leaving That Caused the Groups to EXPLODE!

test

marybrewster
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
It is true that through fault of their status in the group or sheer bad timing that certain girls who left the group while in it's early years would cause the group to explode, cases in point:

Barbara Martin, after marrying and becoming pregnant, would leave The Supremes in 1962. Accoding to Mary Wilson's "Dreamgirl", Diana Ross was quoted as to say "If we can't make it as a trio, we can't make it at all". 12 #1 singles later, it looks like they made it.

Gloria Williams, singing lead on the first single by the Del-Phi's, left the group after "There He Is [[At My Door)", thus making room for new lead singer Martha Reeves to rechristen the group "Martha and the Vandellas". From 1963 to 1972, the group would chart an impressive 26 hits.

Georgia Dobbins, writer of "Please Mr. Postman", would leave the Marvelettes prior to the group signing their first contract. Leaving Gladys Horton in charge of the group, "Postman" exploded, giving Motown their first #1 hit, and the Marvelettes would release over 25 more singles before disbanding in 1971.

Roger Polhill
08-22-2012, 05:54 PM
What about the boys. Elbridge Bryant leaving the Temptations and Joe Stubbs leaving the Originals.

marv2
08-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah, what about the dudes? I don't any of this makes any kind logical sense to begin with because there were too many other factors at play that determined whether a group hit it big and became successful. A group member leaving had nothing to do with it as far as I can see. What point are you really trying to make that is rational?

From what you wrote, all I can see are vague coincedences that have nothing to do with those groups successes later on.

smark21
08-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Chemistry in a group can be an important factor in putting a group over. A few more examples of groups that had line up changes but did not suffer from it.

Expose had a dance club hit with Point of No Return. They were signed to Arista, but Clive Davis insisted that the members be fired and producer Lewis Martinee find singers with more star quality. Ann Curless, Jeanette Jurado and Gioia Bruno were hired and the group went on to be one of the most popular female groups of the late 80s/early 90s.

The original line up of TLC was T Boz, Left Eye and Crystal. T Boz and Left Eye impressed producer LA Reid, but not Crystal. Crystal was let go and Rozanda Thomas was brought into the group and named Chilli. The 3 had great chemistry and TLC had great success until the untimely death of Left Eye.

A girl named Michelle Stephenson was originally hired for the Spice Girls. But she didn’t fit in well with Mel. C., Mel B., Geri, and Victoria and quit the group. Emma Bunton took her place, became Baby Spice and her sweet voice was a key element in the pop appeal of some the Spice Girls most popular songs.

Destiny’s Child had built a solid R and B fanbase when they began to cross over big in 1999. But two members were fired from the group and one of their replacements lasted only 6 months. But by the time the line up stablizied, the group with Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle were more popular than ever.

luke
08-24-2012, 08:55 PM
But I doubt that the two girls leaving somehow propelled them to further stardom. TRhe material would have continued to hit.