PDA

View Full Version : Come See About Me

test

floyjoy678
08-22-2012, 12:30 AM
I feel like the Supremes promoted the hell out of this song on TV. To my knowledge they performed it 8 times on TV from November '64-January '65 you had Shindig, Ed Sullivan, Hullabaloo, Lloyd Thaxton two times, Bill Kennedy Show, etc. and each time with different choreography lol. I always wondered if the song was meant to be a single or just an album filler. Also not stir up anything lol but I feel like there is a male voice on the "hey hey hey"s on this song, maybe Brian Holland? Listen to the acapella of it on YouTube and be the judge for yourself.

marv2
08-22-2012, 01:09 AM
I feel like the Supremes promoted the hell out of this song on TV. To my knowledge they performed it 8 times on TV from November '64-January '65 you had Shindig, Ed Sullivan, Hullabaloo, Lloyd Thaxton two times, Bill Kennedy Show, etc. and each time with different choreography lol. I always wondered if the song was meant to be a single or just an album filler. Also not stir up anything lol but I feel like there is a male voice on the "hey hey hey"s on this song, maybe Brian Holland? Listen to the acapella of it on YouTube and be the judge for yourself.

You guys are funny as hell! LOL! I've been listening to this song and others all of my life. I mean since they were first released and not until now have I ever heard anyone suggest that they hear a man's voice on this very old song now. LOL! I guess there is nothing left to do when it comes to the old Supremes but pick apart their past recordings and performances. Sigh......

floyjoy678
08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Hahaha I was only kidding around

But anyways I think the best TV appearance of this song was Hullabaloo. They got all the choreography right, they all sounded great and they seemed a lot more confident then their earlier TV appearances [[especially Diana and Flo!).

RossHolloway
08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Hahaha I was only kidding around

But anyways I think the best TV appearance of this song was Hullabaloo. They got all the choreography right, they all sounded great and they seemed a lot more confident then their earlier TV appearances [[especially Diana and Flo!).

Is there a youtube link to their Hullabaloo performance of this song?

chidrummer
08-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Not sure if this is the Hullabaloo performance, but this one features a live vocal AND The Funk Brothers backing them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yOn8SMeus

RossHolloway
08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Chidrummer - I thought that was a clip from a local Detroit show and not Hullabaloo.

Roger Polhill
08-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I believe that it is on Bill Kennedy`s Showtime, January 1965. Great to see the Funks doin` their thing.

marv2
08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Not sure if this is the Hullabaloo performance, but this one features a live vocal AND The Funk Brothers backing them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yOn8SMeus

No, that is from a local show that use to come on in the afternoons in Detroit called "The Bill Kennedy Show" on CKLW Channel 9 Windsor [[Ontario). He would later move over to a Detroit station WKBD, Channel 50 with his show "Bill Kennedy at the Movies". I use to watch it all the time.

marv2
08-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Is there a youtube link to their Hullabaloo performance of this song?

The Hullabaloo Show in question was the one hosted by George Hamilton and they are performing in front of large spotlights in long white dresses.

antceleb12
08-22-2012, 08:07 PM
The Hullabaloo Show in question was the one hosted by George Hamilton and they are performing in front of large spotlights in long white dresses.

Yes. In that performance, they used the exact same choreography they used for the "Shindig!" performance.

soulwally
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Great performance all round, and indeed good to see the Funks. I can See Earl, Jamerson, Robert White; but who's the drummer [[not playing any typical Snakepit fills, incidentally), and who would the horn players be? Would it be Paul Riser on trombone?

RossHolloway
08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Acapella. It doesn't get much better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgSi18lwvmQ&feature=mr_meh&list=FL_Z5dwXR5 xw3YENwk0lPYIQ&playnext=0

Roger Polhill
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Soulwally it looks a bit like Uriel Jones on drums and could be Bob Cousar if it isn`t Paul Riser on trombone.

marv2
08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
You guys are good because all I can make out is Earl Van Dyke, Dr. Beans Bowles and James Jamerson who is shaking his head to the groove.

marv2
08-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Now I was able to pick out Maurice King right between Earl and Dr. Bowles

marv2
08-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I believe that it is on Bill Kennedy`s Showtime, January 1965. Great to see the Funks doin` their thing.

No Roger, this was from early December 1964, before they did the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time.

Methuselah2
08-24-2012, 11:59 PM
In the Hullabaloo performance of COME SEE ABOUT ME, Mary and Flo did the hands-together-on-alternating-thighs step that was later repeated in NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES also as performed on Hullabaloo.

marv2
08-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Acapella. It doesn't get much better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgSi18lwvmQ&feature=mr_meh&list=FL_Z5dwXR5 xw3YENwk0lPYIQ&playnext=0

No it does not get any better than this! Mary, Diana and Flo's
voices together are what made the Supremes, Supreme! This is proof positive that they did not need anyone else on their records. No Andantes, no Manny, Moe and Jack, no Larry, Curley or Mo or any of that other bullshit these guys on here always throw out. LOL! As a unit, these girls could not be beat!

144man
08-25-2012, 07:57 AM
The Four Tops did not really need the Andantes on their records either, but I'm glad they were there.

westgrandboulevard
08-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Yes agreed, the Supremes and all the others had more than enough talent to shine on their own recordings.

On most of the Four Tops tracks,I have to say I was glad the Andantes were there too, giving a full choral effect of both male and female voices on the record, which sounded great on the radio.

They give extra impact particularly to the choruses ' 'Baby I need your loving', 'Reach Out' etc.

'Bernadette' and ' Cherish' are, to me, particularly enhanced by their presence.

I do think that they sound far too shrill on 'Without the One You Love' [[as in Minnie Mouse), particularly as the track seems trebly, and light on drum and bass response.

As is often discussed, I would always prefer to feel I hear the Supremes on their own recordings [[ditto Vandellas, Marvelettes, Velvelettes) and again prefer the tracks where additional female background voices are blended with the group vocals, rather than substituted. I can understand it would give greater depth to the sound - as Motown was in the business of selling records that sounded good on the radio.

There is one track where I think the Andantes actually detract from the finished recording, and that's 'Anything You Wanna Do' by The Marvelettes. They're much too high in the mix on parts of the chorus and The Marvelettes turn in a performance that seems just great on its own merits.

Just my opinion, and I know this is wobbling off topic........:)

Yes, as Marv says, as a unit these girls [[The Supremes) could not be beat.