PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes discuss a lot with Mike Douglas

test

luke
08-19-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyctsJ-sTPY Diana[[Mike says shes trying to get back in the group lol), Mary's beauty, constant comments about Jean vs Diana, Lynda's singing lead in Hawaii...Jean goes way off on Stoned Love riffing, very nice I Guess I'llMiss the Man.

marv2
08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyctsJ-sTPY Diana[[Mike says shes trying to get back in the group lol), Mary's beauty, constant comments about Jean vs Diana, Lynda's singing lead in Hawaii...Jean goes way off on Stoned Love riffing, very nice I Guess I'llMiss the Man.

She also forgot her place in the song and Mary covers for her by really selling the background parts......

skooldem1
08-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Great clip.

milven
08-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Great to see that again after so many years. I think Mary wanted to sit next to Mike, but Jean got there first. All three ladies looked good. The Seventies Supremes were on TV almost on a weekly basis on all the nighttime and afternoon variety shows. I wonder why history has been rewritten that there was no promotion for them.

franjoy56
08-19-2012, 11:05 PM
She also forgot her place in the song and Mary covers for her by really selling the background parts......

I believe this episode also covers the Supremes Line of Wigs that they endorsed in 1972 and Meredith Baxter tried one of the wigs on.

marv2
08-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Great to see that again after so many years. I think Mary wanted to sit next to Mike, but Jean got there first. All three ladies looked good. The Seventies Supremes were on TV almost on a weekly basis on all the nighttime and afternoon variety shows. I wonder why history has been rewritten that there was no promotion for them.

History has not been rewritten. First of all, they were NOT on television on a weekly basis. Secondly, there was very little promotion in terms of their records being issued to radio stations and being distributed to retail outlets. It was very difficult at times find their records in the stores. There were times that the only way we knew they had a new release would be if you happen to catch them on television. Other than that, there were no radio spots or mass market advertising for Supremes records. You could call stations to request records to be played back in those days. When it came to the Supremes, it didn't matter because the stations didn't have their latest records anyway. The last song by the Supremes I remember getting decent ,regular airplay was "Floy Joy".

REDHOT
08-20-2012, 06:16 AM
The Supremes Mary Scherrie and Susaye also got good radio station promotion,promoting I'm Gonna Let My Hart do The Walking,that's why it was a top 40s hit,yes Mary Scherrie and Susaye were on TV a lot,
Please stay positive

nathanj06
08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
I've heard all the Jean Supremes songs on the radio back then and I lived in "Hicksville" [[yes, a pun), including Bad Weather, although the least heard. I may have heard He's My Man once and the radio ad for the album. After that, Let My Heart Do The Walkin' and that was it. I never had a problem finding any of them except I had to order He's My Man but I got it.

rod_rick
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I've heard all the Jean Supremes songs on the radio back then and I lived in "Hicksville" [[yes, a pun), including Bad Weather, although the least heard. I may have heard He's My Man once and the radio ad for the album. After that, Let My Heart Do The Walkin' and that was it. I never had a problem finding any of them except I had to order He's My Man but I got it.

Here in Los Angeles the singles that I never heard on the radio was, "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" and "Bad Weather", all the others were in pretty good rotation when they were released.

luke
08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Wow u guys r lucky! I live in NYC area and the last song I remember hearing on the radio was Nathan Jones-barely played. I wonder why such difference in radio play lists.

Roberta75
08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow u guys r lucky! I live in NYC area and the last song I remember hearing on the radio was Nathan Jones-barely played. I wonder why such difference in radio play lists.

Perhaps people on the West Coast and rural areas requested the song more. Seems like the 70's Supremes got a lot of TV promotion and lots of radio play in many areas across the USA.

Roberta

milven
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM

I was also in the NYC area. Saw them in concert at the Americana Hotel, Plaza Hotel, Copacabana all big time at the time. Heard them on the radio. [[ But I also participated in some kind of campaign to get their records played. I think Carl, the Fan Club President, initiated it. That was cool. About an hour later, we heard the song played. That could never happen now with the tight play lists) If you went to the right record store, they had the Supremes records. I was lucky. I knew which shops had the new stuff a day or two before release. I also remember full page ads for the Supremes in Cash Box, Record World and probably Billboard. which I didn't read at the time. The Supremes were constantly on TV on Mike, Merv,Sonny & Cher, Glenn, Tom, Flip, Soul Train, American Bandstand. That's how I remember it. Others have different memories.

skooldem1
08-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Don't confuse people with facts. I have seen so many clips on Youtube of their many TV appearances, and also pictures of ads promoting their songs, etc. It is there. It cannot be erased. They [[fans) just need to always feel victimized, and are always ready with that same old excuse....."I went to the record store and they didn't have anything", or my favorite LIE, "I called the radio stations and they didn't even have their new release".

Motown Eddie
08-20-2012, 01:54 PM
I was also in the NYC area. Saw them in concert at the Americana Hotel, Plaza Hotel, Copacabana all big time at the time. Heard them on the radio. [[ But I also participated in some kind of campaign to get their records played. I think Carl, the Fan Club President, initiated it. That was cool. About an hour later, we heard the song played. That could never happen now with the tight play lists) If you went to the right record store, they had the Supremes records. I was lucky. I knew which shops had the new stuff a day or two before release. I also remember full page ads for the Supremes in Cash Box, Record World and probably Billboard. which I didn't read at the time. The Supremes were constantly on TV on Mike, Merv,Sonny & Cher, Glenn, Tom, Flip, Soul Train, American Bandstand. That's how I remember it. Others have different memories.

I'm also from NYC and remember seeing The [[70s') Supremes a lot on TV during the early '70s and hearing all their hits [[from "Up The Ladder" thru "Bad Weather") on the radio [[WBLS-FM).

luke
08-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Wonder why the difference in playlists. Many stations in the Philly and NYC only played top 20 and oldies-eg WABC, WFIL...I bet WABC played Floy Joy almost never.

marv2
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM

The Fan Club President at that time was named Robert and it was ran out of New York, not ILLinois where Carl is based. The public never saw those ads in those industry trade publications. DJ's may have seen them, but they never got the promo records to play at least where I lived. I remember when fans were asked to call the radio stations.

marv2
08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't confuse people with facts. I have seen so many clips on Youtube of their many TV appearances, and also pictures of ads promoting their songs, etc. It is there. It cannot be erased. They [[fans) just need to always feel victimized, and are always ready with that same old excuse....."I went to the record store and they didn't have anything", or my favorite LIE, "I called the radio stations and they didn't even have their new release".

Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube. I was around back then and they were not on TV as nearly as much as in the sixties. Take 1974 for example. They were on national television once in January on the Sonny & Cher Show and then again in either Oct or Nov singing the National Anthem for a football game on CBS. That was it!

marv2
08-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Wonder why the difference in playlists. Many stations in the Philly and NYC only played top 20 and oldies-eg WABC, WFIL...I bet WABC played Floy Joy almost never.

Only the Soul stations in Detroit and Toledo played "Floy Joy". I may have even heard it on CKLW.

Jimi LaLumia
08-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I am one of those chart weirdos...
Ikept the Music Radio 77 WABC AM weekly countdown/surveys in NY[[which was the biggest, most influential top 40 station in America in the 60's and 70's) through the 60's and 70's, still have them; after "Nathan Jones", it was OVER..
they played everything up to and including "Nathan.." and nothing thereafter; and in Top 40 circles, if 77WABC didn't add the record, the record was done... when "Touch" turned into a disasterous flop, the group then became un'touch'able at Top 40; the girls in the group wanted shared voices on the records;
radio programmers and record buyers obviously wanted one singular lead voice on Supremes singles, and when the group said 'those days are over', radio and record buyers obviously said, well, guess what, then The Supremes are over... not everyone is a lead singer..

marv2
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Ikept the Music Radio 77 WABC AM weekly countdown/surveys in NY[[which was the biggest, most influential top 40 station in America in the 60's and 70's) through the 60's and 70's, still have them; after "Nathan Jones", it was OVER..
they played everything up to and including "Nathan.." and nothing thereafter; and in Top 40 circles, if 77WABC didn't add the record, the record was done... when "Touch" turned into a disasterous flop, the group then became un'touch'able at Top 40; the girls in the group wanted shared voices on the records;
radio programmers and record buyers obviously wanted one singular lead voice on Supremes singles, and when the group said 'those days are over', radio and record buyers obviously said, well, guess what, then The Supremes are over... not everyone is a lead singer..

No it wasn't, that would be CKLW and Rosalie Tromley. They most influential in North America in the 60's and 70's. Google them! They broke the hits for the rest of the country!

marv2
08-20-2012, 02:31 PM

That's how it was over where we were. After "Nathan Jones", the Pop stations did not play new Supremes records. "Floy Joy" was played mostly by Soul stations and it was t he last record by them I can remember getting played regularly.

Jimi LaLumia
08-20-2012, 02:31 PM
and the consensus /large viewership on a Sunday night via Ed Sullican in the 60's was gone by the early 70's..
sorry, but appearing on Mike Douglas for housewives in the afternoon, or Soul Train on Saturday mornings didn't carry the national clout that DRATS benefited from with the Sullivan appearances to gigantic evening audiences, getting ready for work or school the next day, and glued to the tv on Sunday nights.

marv2
08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
and the consensus /large viewership on a Sunday night via Ed Sullican in the 60's was gone by the early 70's..
sorry, but appearing on Mike Douglas for housewives in the afternoon, or Soul Train on Saturday mornings didn't carry the national clout that DRATS benefited from with the Sullivan appearances to gigantic evening audiences, getting ready for work or school the next day, and glued to the tv on Sunday nights.

That was true for every act of that era. Back when the nation only had 3 Networks, large numbers of viewers tuned into the same shows all the time. The Supremes and others received more national exposure than groups that came along after once cable became the norm.

Jimi LaLumia
08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Ask anybody in the record industry...Music Radio 77 WABC and Rick Sklar were IT, Cousin Brucie [[the night time 77 WABC DJ) is STILL to go to guy for that era...
It's ALWAYS been about NYC, sorry to burst the CKLW bubble[[and I loved that station, heard them coming in at night when the sun went down, out here on Long Island, NY....they played "Needle In A Haystack" which I luv, but it wasn't a national hit...NOW, if WABC had added that record, or if WABC had added "Floy Joy", history as we know it might be very diferent)..

Motown Eddie
08-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Back in the '60s & early '70s, the DJs had more freedom to choose what songs they played [[or didn't play) on the air so there was a great deal of difference in the playlists from one radio station to another.

Motown Eddie
08-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Very good point.

Motown Eddie
08-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Ask anybody in the record industry...Music Radio 77 WABC and Rick Sklar were IT, Cousin Brucie [[the night time 77 WABC DJ) is STILL to go to guy for that era...
It's ALWAYS been about NYC, sorry to burst the CKLW bubble[[and I loved that station, heard them coming in at night when the sun went down, out here on Long Island, NY....they played "Needle In A Haystack" which I luv, but it wasn't a national hit...NOW, if WABC had added that record, or if WABC had added "Floy Joy", history as we know it might be very diferent)..

And just like "The Ed Sullivan Show", WABC in NYC carried a lot of weight when it came a pop song became a massive hit or not. Who knows what would've happened if WABC had picked up on the songs The Supremes released between 1972 and 1976 [[when the general public began to lose track of the group).

Roberta75
08-20-2012, 02:50 PM
And just like "The Ed Sullivan Show", WABC in NYC carried a lot of weight when it came a pop song became a massive hit or not. Who knows what would've happened if WABC had picked up on the songs The Supremes released between 1972 and 1976 [[when the general public began to lose track of the group).

I think the general public began to not only lose track of the Supremes but IMO they began to lose interest as well. Times had changed by the mid 70's and nothing lasts forever.

Roberta

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
That was the best damn version of "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" I have heard so far. Just simply fantastic. I do often wonder what Mary would have sounded like singing lead on that song too :-)

marv2
08-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Bullshit! I love Cousin Brucie, but CKLW the Big 8 out of Windsor -Detroit was the powerhouse station for the nation in those days. Heck, they are even thinking of putting Rosalie Tromley into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Sorry Jimi, but CKLW ruled.......literally and has heard by far more people than WABC.

marv2
08-20-2012, 03:18 PM

There is even a documentary out on CKLW .......google it! You may have heard CKLW at night, but got it all day long. We never heard WABC in Michigan, Ohio or Canada.

luke
08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Loved CKLW. VG ques Aaron. Mary's forte ballads.

stephanie
08-20-2012, 08:07 PM
I think they got more promotion for High Energy than any of the other 70s albums. I saw that album everywhere you had to go to the cutout bin or the library to find the Jimmy Webb album. I DO remember seeing the Hes My Man album in the store it was not hard to find but in the DC area the title song High Energy got tons of play on WKYS but there were always diehard Supremes fans in this area anyway and baby they called the stations. I remember writing letters to Motown and I knew nothing about a fan club president. My brother who is a musician agrees that High Energy had tons of albums on the store.

nabob
08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
There is even a documentary out on CKLW .......google it! You may have heard CKLW at night, but got it all day long. We never heard WABC in Michigan, Ohio or Canada.I grew up in NYC with WABC & WMCA as pop alternative stations to WWRL [R&B]. When we spent vacations in South Carolina, both WABC & WMCA could be heard after the sun went down. The distance was about 650 miles. CKLW was heard in NYC a few times, but with the great radio stations in NY, why would one stray?

After heading west in 1970, Wolfman Jack's pirate radio station could be heard in the Bay Area beaming in the evening from about 600 miles away off the coast of Baja California. Nashville had WLS [?] which beamed up to NY the South and near Mid-West.

Back on topic, the Supremes last stand in the Bay Area was with the Floy Joy album. KDIA played most of the songs. Between 1973 and 1975, the Supremes didn't release any viably commercial material matching the public's changing tastes. The Jimmy Webb album was not a standard bearer by any means. By the time they began recording again with the 1975 Supremes album, the ladies had lost their following. I was in Atlanta by this time and only realized the album was out by finding it at Turtle's because the radio stations weren't playing the Supremes.

marv2
08-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Now that's true about "High Energy". They played the title cut late nights on WKLR 99.9 FM and I bought the album at Montgomery Wards. You don't any more mainstream than Wards in those days. The 1975 album was difficult to find. The Jimmy Webb album was advertised in the local paper along with a bunch of albums on sale,but nothing particular to that album. I remember Clark's Record Shop on Dorr Street in Toledo did have this big styrofoam cutout display of the "Touch" album.

marv2
08-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Do you know they even picked up signals for CKLW in Scotland?! There was a video up on Youtube a while back that played the static broadcast they got all the way over to Scotland. CKLW was a monster! It was local to us and everyone from Detroit to Toronto could it up with no problem. It was not until the internet age did I learn that people all over including New York and even down South could get the Big 8 at night. We listened to it all during the day.

marv2
08-20-2012, 11:18 PM
I grew up in NYC with WABC & WMCA as pop alternative stations to WWRL [R&B]. When we spent vacations in South Carolina, both WABC & WMCA could be heard after the sun went down. The distance was about 650 miles. CKLW was heard in NYC a few times, but with the great radio stations in NY, why would one stray?

After heading west in 1970, Wolfman Jack's pirate radio station could be heard in the Bay Area beaming in the evening from about 600 miles away off the coast of Baja California. Nashville had WLS [?] which beamed up to NY the South and near Mid-West.

Back on topic, the Supremes last stand in the Bay Area was with the Floy Joy album. KDIA played most of the songs. Between 1973 and 1975, the Supremes didn't release any viably commercial material matching the public's changing tastes. The Jimmy Webb album was not a standard bearer by any means. By the time they began recording again with the 1975 Supremes album, the ladies had lost their following. I was in Atlanta by this time and only realized the album was out by finding it at Turtle's because the radio stations weren't playing the Supremes.

I heard "He's My Man" 2 or 3 times on the radio in Detroit. They played it twice to my knowledge on WKLR out of Toledo.

Nothing from the Jimmy Webb album made the radio in Detroit except "I'll Guess I'll Miss the Man" may have gotten a few spins on AC or Easy Listening stations, but we didn't listen to those stations at that time.

luke
08-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I love Hes My Man-should have been a smash. NEVER heard it on any radio station.

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
History has not been rewritten. First of all, they were NOT on television on a weekly basis. Secondly, there was very little promotion in terms of their records being issued to radio stations and being distributed to retail outlets. It was very difficult at times find their records in the stores. There were times that the only way we knew they had a new release would be if you happen to catch them on television. Other than that, there were no radio spots or mass market advertising for Supremes records. You could call stations to request records to be played back in those days. When it came to the Supremes, it didn't matter because the stations didn't have their latest records anyway. The last song by the Supremes I remember getting decent ,regular airplay was "Floy Joy".

The Fan Club President at that time was named Robert and it was ran out of New York, not ILLinois where Carl is based. The public never saw those ads in those industry trade publications. DJ's may have seen them, but they never got the promo records to play at least where I lived. I remember when fans were asked to call the radio stations.

Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube. I was around back then and they were not on TV as nearly as much as in the sixties. Take 1974 for example. They were on national television once in January on the Sonny & Cher Show and then again in either Oct or Nov singing the National Anthem for a football game on CBS. That was it!

Only the Soul stations in Detroit and Toledo played "Floy Joy". I may have even heard it on CKLW.

That's how it was over where we were. After "Nathan Jones", the Pop stations did not play new Supremes records. "Floy Joy" was played mostly by Soul stations and it was t he last record by them I can remember getting played regularly.

I heard "He's My Man" 2 or 3 times on the radio in Detroit. They played it twice to my knowledge on WKLR out of Toledo.

Nothing from the Jimmy Webb album made the radio in Detroit except "I'll Guess I'll Miss the Man" may have gotten a few spins on AC or Easy Listening stations, but we didn't listen to those stations at that time.

So from the evidence Marv presents, one can easily see that the 70's Supremes no longer carried the clout they did in the 60's. In fact in regards to the general population and their knowledge/lack of knowledge of the 70's Supremes, one might say that the 70's Supremes were 'unsung'.

Jimi LaLumia
08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
exactly..which is why we're starting a JEAN TERRELL FOR UNSUNG Facebook page shortly..

marv2
08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
So from the evidence Marv presents, one can easily see that the 70's Supremes no longer carried the clout they did in the 60's. In fact in regards to the general population and their knowledge/lack of knowledge of the 70's Supremes, one might say that the 70's Supremes were 'unsung'.

Evidence? I am just sharing my personal experience, I did not realize that we were conducting a trial here.

The 70's Supremes "unsung"? Not hardly! I guess you are the only person left that does not know that the Supremes hit song "Up The Ladder to the Roof" is probably the most performed song in the history of Motown! School kids and College students' musical groups all over the country perform "Up the Ladder to the Roof" so regularly that it is now considered a standard! I guess you are just out of the loop on this one.

marv2
08-21-2012, 07:35 PM
exactly..which is why we're starting a JEAN TERRELL FOR UNSUNG Facebook page shortly..

Start it! Jean Terrell is not going on "Unsung". She would have lie and pretend to be someone else!

marv2
08-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Oh and by the way. There is no such thing as "the 70's Supremes" especially when it comes to the "general population". There were never any albums or singles released by a group called "The 70's Supremes". There were never any introductions on television or in concert as "The 70's Supremes". There was no print media at the time for a group called "The 70's Supremes". Only a handful of people would be familiar with that term, because everyone else on Earth knew of or have heard of "The Supremes"!

thisoldheart
08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
stepping away from the ongoing discussion on air play and promotion.

that was the best dang live version by the supremes i have seen. granted i have not seen many. however, i love it when singers change up the song ... god knows they must get tired having to do replications of their studio versions! also loved how loose and charismatic our back up ladies were. they both looked like they were having a blast during "stoned love"! mary seems so fresh and alive ... i think the drats model seemed to constrictive for our backup gals. great post! thx!

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh and by the way. There is no such thing as "the 70's Supremes" especially when it comes to the "general population". There were never any albums or singles released by a group called "The 70's Supremes". There were never any introductions on television or in concert as "The 70's Supremes". There was no print media at the time for a group called "The 70's Supremes". Only a handful of people would be familiar with that term, because everyone else on Earth knew of or have heard of "The Supremes"!

When did you talk to everyone else on earth.. and when did you find the time or resources to do so?

The fact that you wisely claim that only a handful of people would be familiar with the term "the 70's Supremes" but only have heard of the Supremes adds greater strength to the observations that the 70's Supremes [[Jean, Mary, Cindy; Jean, Mary, Lynda; Scherrie, Mary Cindy; Mary, Scherrie, Susaye) are not household names and therefore fit the definition of 'unsung'.

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 09:28 PM
The 70's Supremes "unsung"? Not hardly! I guess you are the only person left that does not know that the Supremes hit song "Up The Ladder to the Roof" is probably the most performed song in the history of Motown! School kids and College students' musical groups all over the country perform "Up the Ladder to the Roof" so regularly that it is now considered a standard! I guess you are just out of the loop on this one.

If 'Up The Ladder To The Roof ' is PROBABLY the most performed song in the history of Motown, I'm curious which one you think actually IS the most performed.
I note that your assessment is made as regards school kids and college students. I wonder if they are always aware what the names of the the members of the Motown group who recorded it are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of them think that Diana Ross was the lead singer of this song. It might also be possible that many are familiar with the version by The Nylons or Bette Midler and may not even realize that they are performing a Supremes' song.
On a sidenote, I checked All Music Guide and was very surprised at what I saw.
Ten bullets list "Up The Ladder To The Roof" as being sung by Diana Ross & The Supremes or Diana Ross/Supremes; one bullet merely lists Diana Ross; only 5 correctly list it as by the Supremes- but even there it is not certifiable if those posters know that this is the first post-Diana grouping of the Supremes. After all 'The Supremes' were officially called 'The Supremes' before they were advertised as 'The Supremes featuring Diana Ross' then officially re-christened 'Diana Ross & The Supremes'. Your post certainly lends greater credence to the Post Diana Ross Supremes as being unsung.
The issue of probability and statistics is an interesting one isn't it, Marv?

marv2
08-21-2012, 09:29 PM
When did you talk to everyone else on earth.. and when did you find the time or resources to do so?

Carole, come back when you have something relevant to add to the discussion.

marv2
08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
If 'Up The Ladder To The Roof ' is PROBABLY the most performed song in the history of Motown, I'm curious which one you think actually IS the most performed.
I note that your assessment is made as regards school kids and college students. I wonder if they are always aware what the names of the the members of the Motown group who recorded it are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of them think that Diana Ross was the lead singer of this song. It might also be possible that many are familiar with the version by The Nylons or Bette Midler and may not even realize that they are performing a Supremes' song.
On a sidenote, I checked All Music Guide and was very surprised at what I saw.
Ten bullets list "Up The Ladder To The Roof" as being sung by Diana Ross & The Supremes or Diana Ross/Supremes; one bullet merely lists Diana Ross; only 5 correctly list it as by the Supremes- but even there it is not certifiable if those posters know that this is the first post-Diana grouping of the Supremes. After all 'The Supremes' were officially called 'The Supremes' before they were advertised as 'The Supremes featuring Diana Ross' then officially re-christened 'Diana Ross & The Supremes'. Your post certainly lends greater credence to the Post Diana Ross Supremes as being unsung.
The issue of probability and statistics is an interesting one isn't it, Marv?

What is All Music Guide? All the kids in the Youtube videos know all the words to "Up the Ladder to the Roof". I don't know any Nylons and I am sure that those kids that comment about it being a Supremes record on Youtube, know that the Supremes were a singing group. Anyone that thinks that record was by Diana Ross is just plain dumb or Diane's solo career had no impact on them whatsoever.

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Anyone that thinks that record was by Diana Ross is just plain dumb or Diane's solo career had no impact on them whatsoever.

Marv,
It's good to see that you agree with me... people don't know the post-Diana Ross Supremes and are ignorant of information as regards them , thus verifying further that the post-Diana [[70's) Supremes are unsung.

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;120510]All the kids in the Youtube videos know all the words to "Up the Ladder to the Roof".
[QUOTE=marv2] Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube.

marv2
08-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Marv,
It's good to see that you agree with me... people don't know the post-Diana Ross Supremes and are ignorant of information as regards them , thus verifying further that the post-Diana [[70's) Supremes are unsung.

I do not agree with you at all. Is that your way of pretending to win some type of argument?

marv2
08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;120510]All the kids in the Youtube videos know all the words to "Up the Ladder to the Roof".
[QUOTE=marv2] Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube.

No, it seems like a lot when the high school choir in my little seaside town performs "Up the Ladder to the Roof" during their Spring Concert. They sing this song all over the country whether it has been videotaped and uploaded to Youtube or not. You should be happy since you are a Supremes fan.

ejluther
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
The Nylons version is really good and I've heard it a lot in different places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DFQdn298Xo

And for fun here's Bette Midler's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCp6_2u3oZI
[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCp6_2u3oZI)
As for people not being familiar enough with The Supremes after Diana left and some of us wishing a show like UNSUNG could correct that - I'm afraid there's no reason to discuss it any further because, unfortunately, all the fun's been drained out of it. *sigh* The bottom line is that not everyone listens as closely as some of us or even remembers music that's now 40+ years old and it would be nice to introduce the post-Diana Supremes to a new audience. It's too bad when people can't realize that their perception of the world is not the norm all the time. But there's not much you can do about that except realize that, in the end, they suffer for it more than anyone else...

marv2
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM

The fact that you wisely claim that only a handful of people would be familiar with the term "the 70's Supremes" but only have heard of the Supremes adds greater strength to the observations that the 70's Supremes [[Jean, Mary, Cindy; Jean, Mary, Lynda; Scherrie, Mary Cindy; Mary, Scherrie, Susaye) are not household names and therefore fit the definition of 'unsung'.

No, it just adds to the fact that you seem to be struggling to read for comprehension. Once again, the term "the 70's Supremes" is one used by only a small group of fans to try to separate and distinguish the Supremes members that recorded and performed in the 60's from those that recorded and performed in the 70's. To the public they are simply one group called the Supremes. They will not know the TERM "the 70's Supremes". You want to act stupid and put all the ladies individual names out there like they should be household names to begin with. The group broke up 35 years ago or have you not noticed? It would be a strain on anyone [[including Mary Wilson) to remember all those names sometimes. After the Grammy Awards this year, some young viewers tweeted radio station WBAI here in New York asking who is Paul McCartney. No joke.

The bottomline is the Supremes are the most famous female group in history and one of the most famous singing groups in all of American History, so strain all you like to pretend that they are "unsung", they are just a part of history now and not on anyone's current hot list. You can separate out all the individual members you like, but to the rest of the World, they are "The Supremes".

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Carole, come back when you have something relevant to add to the discussion.
No, it just adds to the fact that you seem to be struggling to read for comprehension

We people often are a funny lot, aren't we.
First you state that a remark is not relevant then you take a good deal of space to respond.

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 11:05 PM
, so strain all you like to pretend that they are "unsung", they are just a part of history now and not on anyone's current hot list. ".

Using your logic, since the Marvelettes are now just part of history and not on anyone's current hot list they are not unsung and the TV ONE network has made a terrible mistake.

marv2
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Using your logic, since the Marvelettes are now just part of history and not on anyone's current hot list they are not unsung and the TV ONE network has made a terrible mistake.

You left out a very important part preceeding it :"The bottomline is the Supremes are the most famous female group in history and one of the most famous singing groups in all of American History, ...."

You see when you do things like you just did, you can never win or get someone to see your point of view because you are being disingenuous. Taking things and editing them out of context does nothing to convince anyone of the point you are trying to make. The Supremes were the most famous female group in history.......the Marvelettes were not! That is the difference.

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 11:33 PM
You left out a very important part preceeding it :"The bottomline is the Supremes are the most famous female group in history and one of the most famous singing groups in all of American History, ...."

You see when you do things like you just did, you can never win or get someone to see your point of view because you are being disingenius. Taking things and editing them out of context does nothing to convince anyone of the point you are trying to make. The Supremes were the most famous female group in history.......the Marvelettes were not! That is the difference.

Disingenius??? Creative vocabulary 101.....

carole cucumber
08-21-2012, 11:45 PM

You see when you do things like you just did, you can never win or get someone to see your point of view because you are being disingenius. Taking things and editing them out of context does nothing to convince anyone of the point you are trying to make. The Supremes were the most famous female group in history.......the Marvelettes were not! That is the difference.

Yes, again we agree. People know [[Diana Ross, Mary Wilson & Florence Ballard) & [[Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, & Cindy Birdsong) as the most famous female group in history. That is the difference between these 2 groupings of Supremes and the other fabulous women who would be officially acknowledged by Motown to be Supremes.

REDHOT
08-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Everyone has an opinion no, there was never a group call The 70s Supremes,i often call them,The Supremes,from the 70s,i alway like to read other Supreme Fan's post,it's always fun to read other's opinion's,but i don't put people down,or call them name's,no matter what,it's all fun,as a Supreme Fan,i know Mary Florence Diana Barbara Cindy Jean Lynda Scherrie and Susaye,like i said before you can't change HISTORY,We like who we like,it not a bad thing,it's just a matter of taste,i just LOVE The Supremes from the 70s LOL,
Please stay positive

marv2
08-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Everyone has an opinion no, there was never a group call The 70s Supremes,i often call them,The Supremes,from the 70s,i alway like to read other Supreme Fan's post,it's always fun to read other's opinion's,but i don't put people down,or call them name's,no matter what,it's all fun,as a Supreme Fan,i know Mary Florence Diana Barbara Cindy Jean Lynda Scherrie and Susaye,like i said before you can't change HISTORY,We like who we like,it not a bad thing,it's just a matter of taste,i just LOVE The Supremes from the 70s LOL,
Please stay positive

Did you ever get the private message I sent you?

marv2
08-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Yes, again we agree. People know [[Diana Ross, Mary Wilson & Florence Ballard) & [[Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, & Cindy Birdsong) as the most famous female group in history. That is the difference between these 2 groupings of Supremes and the other fabulous women who would be officially acknowledged by Motown to be Supremes.

We do not agree. Show me where I sorted out those individuals by name? Show me where I designate 2 groupings? I refer to them only as the Supremes. You have a problem, I clearly see that. Next!

nathanj06
08-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Here in Los Angeles the singles that I never heard on the radio was, "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" and "Bad Weather", all the others were in pretty good rotation when they were released.

That seems unusual for Los Angeles. I would think someone out there would be playing those as well.

nathanj06
08-22-2012, 06:57 AM

Back then they always had a Top Ten countdown for the week locally. I remember listening and #2 was I Am...I Said by Neil Diamond. Man was I thrilled when they got to #1 and it was Nathan Jones. Saw this on youtube some time ago and this woman is dancing and very much into it. So funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnfp9DgsEuQ

ejluther
08-22-2012, 07:59 AM
there was never a group call The 70s Supremes

No, but there have been official CD releases that draw a clear distinction between the
60's and 70's Supremes:

marybrewster
08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
While there wasn't a group called the "70's Supremes", the certainly were called and referred to as the "new Supremes".

skooldem1
08-22-2012, 09:08 AM
The Supremes are not unsung.

Is Jean really Unsung? She was the lead singer of the number one female group for a while. SHE made the decision to leave the business. She voluntarily left the group. She is not unsung in my book.

What sense does it make to highlight members of a group that weren't as popular as the "lead singer". What is next? An Unsung episode for Tito Jackson- because he never became a huge solo act like Michael?

I suspect that many "Motown" fans want to see any, and all artist on the label, who's name is NOT Diana Ross, have their own Unsung show.

REDHOT
08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I had a lot of mail Marv2,i never check it,i sent you a reply Marv2
Please stay positive

marv2
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
No, but there have been official CD releases that draw a clear distinction between the
60's and 70's Supremes:

Let's be clear here. Those collections were put together basically to commemorate the songs recorded by the group in the 70's. Look at both covers again closely. You should notice that the name "The Supremes" is printed over and above anything that refers to the "70's". Why? Because it is a very well known brand and they would be fools to try to change it now to sell CD's. They are only referring to the recordings made after 1969.

marv2
08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
I had a lot of mail Marv2,i never check it,i sent you a reply Marv2
Please stay positive

Thank you Redhot.

marv2
08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
60's and 70's Supremes:

I find that funny because in the pictures above you have two "60's Supremes" and one "70's Supreme", so is the distinction you are trying to point out really that clear and distinct?

skooldem1
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
......thats a good point.

marv2
08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
The Supremes are not unsung.

Is Jean really Unsung? She was the lead singer of the number one female group for a while. SHE made the decision to leave the business. She voluntarily left the group. She is not unsung in my book.

What sense does it make to highlight members of a group that weren't as popular as the "lead singer". What is next? An Unsung episode for Tito Jackson- because he never became a huge solo act like Michael?

I suspect that many "Motown" fans want to see any, and all artist on the label, who's name is NOT Diana Ross, have their own Unsung show.

You make very excellent points! Not just because I agree with what you said, but it your response is rational. Maybe they could do one on Jackie too even though he's been on number one records, on television, magazines everywhere. He was even featured in a cartoon series on the group, but hey he could be made "unsung" if they try hard enough!

Jean Terrell was the lead singer of the Supremes. I find it impossible to think of her or the group as unsung. What about all those Temptations?

luke
08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
It was an anthology called the "70s" not the 70s Supremes. I read High Inergy was called the new Supremes.

ejluther
08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
so is the distinction you are trying to point out really that clear and distinct?
Oh for cryin' out loud - I'm just pointing out that MUSICALLY/COMMERCIALLY there's been a distinction made between the 60's-era Supremes and the 70's-era Supremes. That is simply all I'm saying; that it would nice for the general public to become better acquainted and appreciative of the post-Diana Ross Supremes. If you or anyone else wants to believe that when the general public thinks of "The Supremes" they think of the 70's music and Jean Terrell [[not to mention Scherrie Payne) just as much and as readily as they think of the 60's music and Diana Ross then, by all means, believe what you like.

smark21
08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
So if the post Diana Ross Supremes are featured on Unsung, I take it those who object to them being considered “Unsung” won’t watch the episode?

marv2
08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
So if the post Diana Ross Supremes are featured on Unsung, I take it those who object to them being considered “Unsung” won’t watch the episode?

I would watch out of curiosity. I'd love to see how they would try to make the Supremes appear to be "unsung". They were one of the most celebrated R&B/Pop groups in history.

smark21
08-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I’m confused. Were the post Diana Ross Supremes one of the most successful singing groups of all time, or were they unsung? In reading the posts on this forum, I’ve gleamed that Up the Ladder is the most performed Motown song of all time, that the post Ross Supremes did appear often on TV [[except in 1974), and that everyone knows who they are. On the other hand, Berry actively washed his hands of the group after Ross left, they did not get much radio play after Nathan Jones, and it was difficult to find their records in the stores after 1971 or so [[except for the High Energy album).

Roberta75
08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
"Up the Ladder is the most performed Motown song of all time"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Now that's funny.

Thanks for the laugh smark21.

Best to you.

Roberta

marv2
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I’m confused. Were the post Diana Ross Supremes one of the most successful singing groups of all time, or were they unsung? In reading the posts on this forum, I’ve gleamed that Up the Ladder is the most performed Motown song of all time, that the post Ross Supremes did appear often on TV [[except in 1974), and that everyone knows who they are. On the other hand, Berry actively washed his hands of the group after Ross left, they did not get much radio play after Nathan Jones, and it was difficult to find their records in the stores after 1971 or so [[except for the High Energy album).

There is nothing to be confused about. The Supremes were the most successful female group in history and like all successful groups, they eventually cooled off. They were very successful even after 1970. There were no other female groups during the Supremes career that had as many consistent hits [[ I am not merely speaking of number one's.). Didn't they record and have something like 10-12 albums released in a 7 year period? People always like to say that times changed and groups like the Honey Cone, Three Degrees, Love Unlimited, Emotions, Pointer Sisters, etc, etc oh and Labelle took over. But if you look at each of those groups record releases between 1970-77. most likely none of them matched the Supremes in the Top 40.

What made what the ladies did after 1970 so significant is because they did it without Berry Gordy's support, without HDH and without Diana Ross! Everything you summarized in your above posting is true, but the Supremes continued on anyway!

marv2
08-23-2012, 11:58 AM
"Up the Ladder is the most performed Motown song of all time"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Now that's funny.

Thanks for the laugh smark21.

Best to you.

Roberta

If you would pull your head out of your.........BIBLE for a moment, hehehehehe..... You would recognize the validity of that statement!

marv2
08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Oh one more thing. When major motion pictures like "Dreamgirls" and "Sparkle" are released, who do you think the public is immediately reminded of? Yes, that's right.......The Supremes!

luke
08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Absolutely. Just came across a new youtube video of a bunch of little kids in school singing Stop in Name of Love, under a Surpemes heading.!

ejluther
08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
When major motion pictures like "Dreamgirls" and "Sparkle" are released,
who do you think the public is immediately reminded of? Yes, that's
right.......The Supremes!
But they don't think of a group of "The Supremes" that doesn't feature Diana Ross. If Florence Ballard can be "unsung" as a lesser-known member of The Supremes then so can all the women who followed her [[and, more importantly, all those who followed Diana Ross). An episode of UNSUNG might actually expand who and what people should and do think of when they are reminded of "The Supremes"...wouldn't that be nice for everyone?

marv2
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
But they don't think of a group of "The Supremes" that doesn't feature Diana Ross. If Florence Ballard can be "unsung" as a lesser-known member of The Supremes then so can all the women who followed her [[and, more importantly, all those who followed Diana Ross). An episode of UNSUNG might actually expand who and what people should and do think of when they are reminded of "The Supremes"...wouldn't that be nice for everyone?

First of all Florence Ballard's story should have never made it to the "Unsung" program. It does not fit the format or the show's pretense. It is too very well known across the general population. Her story has been called the greatest tragedy in Rock and Roll history and certainly Motown's history. There have been books and books and books written about Florence's story and the Supremes. Many people believe that the Broadway Play, "Dreamgirls" and subsequent film of the same name is about Florence Ballard via the character Effie.

If this is really about elevating Diana Ross, then you can forget that. Her image and reputation with the general public is what it is and no one can change that except maybe her [[ and then again maybe not!). As time has moved on and has proven, even Ross is not looked upon as a separate entity from the group, The Supremes. It is a nice thought to want to keep the Supremes in the forefront of the public's memory. Mary Wilson is handling that in a variety of ways. It's just that a program like "Unsung" is definitely not the way to go about it. Whatever happened to fairness? I mean there are a huge number of artists that could and should be given the spotlight on "Unsung" why would you start at the top with a group that has had all kinds of recognition and success? Do a show on Carl Carlton or the Chairmen of the Board!

ejluther
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
If this is really about elevating Diana Ross, then you can forget that.
Where and how did you get that? How would showcasing how good The Supremes could be without Diana elevate her? When I said "wouldn't that be nice for everyone" I guess that could include Diana Ross but that's not what I was thinking of specificially by any means...

there are a huge number of artists that could and should be given the spotlight on "Unsung" why would you start at the top with a group that has had all kinds of recognition and success? Do a show on Carl Carlton or the Chairmen of the Board!
Can't argue with you about any of that...

carole cucumber
08-23-2012, 09:25 PM
From unsung's official website:

Once a founding member and lead singer of The Supremes, Florence Ballard fell prey to depression and alcoholism, loosing her place in one of Motown's most famous groups. Her's is the ultimate Unsung story.

http://tvone.tv/shows/unsung/unsung-stars.html?midPar_tag_list_start=10

franjoy56
08-23-2012, 10:37 PM

First of all there was no utube in the 1970's if we saw the 70's Supremes on TV we were lucky, and many times I caught the Supremes by surprise on shows like Soul train and American Bandstand never with Jean that i know of [[for AB) by word of mouth. I have called the radio stations asking for the Supremes "Floy Joy" WABC and they didn't have it, simple as that they played
up the ladder, everybody got the right [[sporadically) Nathan Jones, and River Deep after that they stoped playing Supremes records, so don't tell me we are mixing people with facts, the facts are they stopped playing Supremes records by the Spring of 1972, their albums up to Floy joy was still in the major records store, I bought "Floy Joy" in EJ Korvette, but their singles suddenly disappeared and it didn't only happen to the Supremes, The Four Tops and the J5 wasted no time bolting from Motown but the Supremes were stuck.

carole cucumber
08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
If you would pull your head out of your.........BIBLE for a moment, hehehehehe..... You would recognize the validity of that statement!

I'm not sure if you are an atheist or an agnostic, but you have crossed a line here with your BLASPHEMOUS comment. If you claim that you are a believer, your words and actions here do not substantiate that at all.
You can't lie or laugh your way out of this one [[as your 'hehehehehe' attempts to do) or even dismiss it as trivial or respond that I am over-reacting . To Jews , Muslims, and Christians and all others who revere the Word of God [[be it called the Torah, the Koran, the Bible, the Sacred Books) your leading statement [[one that can be easily verified from the number of posts in which you have utilized the exact phrase with the offensive anatomical term that your 'hehehehehe' intends to evoke ) and the quick insertion of the word Bible in place of the one you knowingly imply is a great affront to religious sensibilities and shows a complete disrespect of a guaranteed freedom of our constitution.

To imply that your statement has as great a validity as or perhaps even greater validity than the Word of God is one of the most inane statements that you have made. To mock a woman of faith in today's world climate is certainly asking for trouble.

You've definitely gone too far this time. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. God alone will be your judge not me; I'm not judging you- only pointing out the total lack of respect
evidenced in your wretched behavior.

marv2
08-23-2012, 11:19 PM
From unsung's official website:

Once a founding member and lead singer of The Supremes, Florence Ballard fell prey to depression and alcoholism, loosing her place in one of Motown's most famous groups. Her's is the ultimate Unsung story.

http://tvone.tv/shows/unsung/unsung-stars.html?midPar_tag_list_start=10

As I said. They got it wrong! Florence's story was not Unsung, it was tragic if anything. Her whole life was not tragic mind you and she was the founder of the greatest female group in history. How many people can match that? I am sure the people at the Unsung program are nice people, but they didn't know what they were talking about when they put that on their website. More people knew about Florence Ballard's story than all the groups and artists that Unsung has profiled combined!

marv2
08-23-2012, 11:26 PM
First of all there was no utube in the 1970's if we saw the 70's Supremes on TV we were lucky, and many times I caught the Supremes by surprise on shows like Soul train and American Bandstand never with Jean that i know of [[for AB) by word of mouth. I have called the radio stations asking for the Supremes "Floy Joy" WABC and they didn't have it, simple as that they played
up the ladder, everybody got the right [[sporadically) Nathan Jones, and River Deep after that they stoped playing Supremes records, so don't tell me we are mixing people with facts, the facts are they stopped playing Supremes records by the Spring of 1972, their albums up to Floy joy was still in the major records store, I bought "Floy Joy" in EJ Korvette, but their singles suddenly disappeared and it didn't only happen to the Supremes, The Four Tops and the J5 wasted no time bolting from Motown but the Supremes were stuck.

Yeah he [[skooldem) doesn't know what he is talking about in this instance. You are right Fran, I can remember several times catching the Supremes on television by surprise in those days. Most notably when they appeared on the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour in January 1974. They didn't have a current release to promote, but there they were with the new girl Scherrie Payne. No, Jean Terrell never appeared on Bandstand with the Supremes. Yes many people called their local radio stations to request the latest Supremes song only to be told that "we don't have it"! These things are all facts and I know you know that. Yep, after "Floy Joy" there were no more Supremes records played on a regular or even semi-regular basis. I found "Bad Weather" in a sheet music/keyboard store in 1975 2 whole years after it was released. Someone else said they found it in a hardware store that sold a few records!

Roberta75
08-24-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure if you are an atheist or an agnostic, but you have crossed a line here with your BLASPHEMOUS comment. If you claim that you are a believer, your words and actions here do not substantiate that at all.
You can't lie or laugh your way out of this one [[as your 'hehehehehe' attempts to do) or even dismiss it as trivial or respond that I am over-reacting . To Jews , Muslims, and Christians and all others who revere the Word of God [[be it called the Torah, the Koran, the Bible, the Sacred Books) your leading statement [[one that can be easily verified from the number of posts in which you have utilized the exact phrase with the offensive anatomical term that your 'hehehehehe' intends to evoke ) and the quick insertion of the word Bible in place of the one you knowingly imply is a great affront to religious sensibilities and shows a complete disrespect of a guaranteed freedom of our constitution.

To imply that your statement has as great a validity as or perhaps even greater validity than the Word of God is one of the most inane statements that you have made. To mock a woman of faith in today's world climate is certainly asking for trouble.

You've definitely gone too far this time. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. God alone will be your judge not me; I'm not judging you- only pointing out the total lack of respect
evidenced in your wretched behavior.

If marv2 was mocking me Carole, then I beseech you to please don't worry about it or get upset over it. I may have have him on ignore but God doesn't . The Heavenly Father is aware of all this sins and there are many, We should feel sorry for marv2 and pray for him for he is obviously a desperately unhappy soul who has lost his way. Most here on this forum know his deceitful tricks and like me, they have him on ignore.

Thank you dear Carole for coming to my defense but I have God in my head, my heart and my soul for God is my life and marv2's snippy comments can never harm me or take my faith in God way from me.

marv2 should take these words from the good book of Proverbs to heart:

"There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers."

Bless you Carole.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

jobeterob
08-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Did I hear Mike Douglas say the 70's Supremes were unsung?

marv2
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Did I hear Mike Douglas say the 70's Supremes were unsung?

You didn't hear anything. Mike Douglas is dead.

carole cucumber
08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Roberta75;120999]If marv2 was mocking me Carole, then I beseech you to please don't worry about it or get upset over it. I may have have him on ignore but God doesn't . The Heavenly Father is aware of all this sins and there are many, We should feel sorry for marv2 and pray for him for he is obviously a desperately unhappy soul who has lost his way. Most here on this forum know his deceitful tricks and like me, they have him on ignore.

Roberta there is great wisdom in what you say.

Often the abuser is a person who him/herself was abused. It makes one wonder what happened in another person's life to make him/her the way that he/she is. Why one wouldn't turn away from that mode of behavior, but instead integrate and perpetuate the experience, making it such a real part of one's life's activity, that it flows so freely into one's dealings with others, is difficult to understand.
The same goes for those who attempt to use the internet to belittle/abuse others verbally or emotionally.
Unhappy people too often delight in trying to squealch other people's happiness by any means that they might. It is often expressed in insensitive, smart-alecky remarks in hopes of distracting- in turning the attention back upon themselves.
There are so many lonely people in the world today. Quite likely, marv 2 may be one of them. How might we arrive at that conclusion? Just look at the number of his postings. [[Other than a moderator who has been entrusted with overseeing an internet forum and whose very title means that he must respond to far more posts than he would like) anyone with a healthy experience of family and a supportive circle of true friends would not have the time available to post 11,700 in a period of a little more than 2 years.
Yes, you are right, Roberta. Marv2 is definitely in need of prayers, and likely so much more.
It must frustrate him that so many have placed him on ignore; it probably leads to him posting all the more in hoping to garner some more attention [[anyway that he can get it) . He certainly exhibits the classical qualities of a poor, lost soul looking for attention.
He will be in my prayers, although he may say that he neither welcomes nor needs them. To reject assistance will only reflect upon him and his lost state.
I know that Ralph in his book, The Road Through Motown, mentions that
he is not a religious man, but does acknowledge that he is a spiritual man. He even recounts a wonderful, three-fold sign given him after the death of his beloved father.
He must certainly understand why Marv2's recent insensitive blasphemies concerning sacred books are an affront to Jews, Muslims, and Christians.

detmotownguy
08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
If you have no interest in Marv or his postings, your action of ignoring him is making a fool of you since you continually comment about him. You need top move on to another hobby. Also, Christians do not make judgments or assertions about others. Lastly, your rhetoric does not belong on this site. You are the offensive one.

carole cucumber
08-24-2012, 12:37 PM
If you have no interest in Marv or his postings, your action of ignoring him is making a fool of you since you continually comment about him. You need top move on to another hobby. Also, Christians do not make judgments or assertions about others. Lastly, your rhetoric does not belong on this site. You are the offensive one.

It appears that you are confusing statements. I never said that I have Marv on ignore. I have never said that I was either Jew, Muslim , or Christian, but I have raised an objection to an offensive remark of Marv's concerning what a fair percentage of the world's population considers as sacred. That is at the heart of my recent post. If you find it offensive that there are still people of faith in the world, then I feel sorry for you..
And I have stated that I understand that I cannot sit in judgement of Marv or of any other person. However, I have the freedom to try to understand [[unlikely as that is ) how human persons are put together, how we can be so very similar in some ways and yet so very different in others.
Often, we are mysteries even unto ourselves.

Roberta75
08-24-2012, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Roberta75;120999]If marv2 was mocking me Carole, then I beseech you to please don't worry about it or get upset over it. I may have have him on ignore but God doesn't . The Heavenly Father is aware of all this sins and there are many, We should feel sorry for marv2 and pray for him for he is obviously a desperately unhappy soul who has lost his way. Most here on this forum know his deceitful tricks and like me, they have him on ignore.

Roberta there is great wisdom in what you say.

Often the abuser is a person who him/herself was abused. It makes one wonder what happened in another person's life to make him/her the way that he/she is. Why one wouldn't turn away from that mode of behavior, but instead integrate and perpetuate the experience, making it such a real part of one's life's activity, that it flows so freely into one's dealings with others, is difficult to understand.
The same goes for those who attempt to use the internet to belittle/abuse others verbally or emotionally.
Unhappy people too often delight in trying to squealch other people's happiness by any means that they might. It is often expressed in insensitive, smart-alecky remarks in hopes of distracting- in turning the attention back upon themselves.
There are so many lonely people in the world today. Quite likely, marv 2 may be one of them. How might we arrive at that conclusion? Just look at the number of his postings. [[Other than a moderator who has been entrusted with overseeing an internet forum and whose very title means that he must respond to far more posts than he would like) anyone with a healthy experience of family and a supportive circle of true friends would not have the time available to post 11,700 in a period of a little more than 2 years.
Yes, you are right, Roberta. Marv2 is definitely in need of prayers, and likely so much more.
It must frustrate him that so many have placed him on ignore; it probably leads to him posting all the more in hoping to garner some more attention [[anyway that he can get it) . He certainly exhibits the classical qualities of a poor, lost soul looking for attention.
He will be in my prayers, although he may say that he neither welcomes nor needs them. To reject assistance will only reflect upon him and his lost state.
I know that Ralph in his book, The Road Through Motown, mentions that
he is not a religious man, but does acknowledge that he is a spiritual man. He even recounts a wonderful, three-fold sign given him after the death of his beloved father.
He must certainly understand why Marv2's recent insensitive blasphemies concerning sacred books are an affront to Jews, Muslims, and Christians.

Thank you dear Carole. You are a wise and dear lady.

May God continue to bless and watch over you.

Roberta

luke
08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Well said demotguy. And Ralph should be given a break especially with all hes been going through. I remember Mary writing about a dj who commented there wernt any original Supremes in the group and Mary called him to correct him. He said he hadnt been getting their records!

144man
08-25-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't intend getting involved in any religious arguments, but I do think it would be presumptious to assume that God doesn't have a sense of humour.

carole cucumber
08-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't intend getting involved in any religious arguments, but I do think it would be presumptious to assume that God doesn't have a sense of humour.

I agree that God must have a sense of humor. If you need any further proof- look at all of us! The same God who fashioned Diana Ross has fashioned Marv2 and each one of us, intending us to live in harmony and in support of one another.
But there is a great difference between humor and blasphemy. There is a great difference between spontaneously laughing at something humorous that occurs, and laughing in a purposeful, mean-spirited, smart-alecky attempt to make someone's belief the center of mockery.

144man
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I agree that God must have a sense of humor. If you need any further proof- look at all of us! The same God who fashioned Diana Ross has fashioned Marv2 and each one of us, intending us to live in harmony and in support of one another.
But there is a great difference between humor and blasphemy. There is a great difference between spontaneously laughing at something humorous that occurs, and laughing in a purposeful, mean-spirited, smart-alecky attempt to make someone's belief the center of mockery.

You've made a good point there. I agree.

Roberta75
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Beautifully stated Carole.

God bless you.

Roberta

floyjoy678
08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I believe in a higher power but I don't believe in religion, can we keep the subject off the forum? It's as bad as discussing politics.

blueskies
08-26-2012, 01:58 PM
I believe in a higher power but I don't believe in religion, can we keep the subject off the forum? It's as bad as discussing politics.

Dare I say....an "Amen" to that!

marv2
08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Dare I say....an "Amen" to that!

I've been telling Roberta that for the longest time.

Roberta75
08-26-2012, 07:43 PM

My religious beliefs and my Christianity are the core of my very being. All my thoughts come to me from God. I cannot and will not apologize for my faith or feelings and if you find me offensive in any way, shape or form then please place me on ignore.

I don't personally attack people on this forum and agree that everyone has a right to their own opinions and beliefs and we should all be able to disagree respectfully. Personal and vicious attacks are uncalled for and are not my style.

Most people on this forum are lovely, cordial and respectful. There are a few, one in particular who is obviously extremely disturbed which explains his downright mean and nasty demeanor. I have that said person on ignore which is best for the good of the forum.

I love all Motown artists and if I didn't like one or two of the Motown stars, I would ignore the said thread. If you can't say anything nice about someone then say nothing at all is how my mom raised me. I wouldn't viciously trash the artist day in day out, like someone I could but will not mention.

Roberta

REDHOT
08-26-2012, 09:23 PM
To each his own,this is a public form,like Roberta said,everybody has they're right to they're opinions and beliefs,like it or not,Everybody Got The Right,The Supremes Mary Cindy and jean LOL,Yes Roberta is a Religious person,it's harmless.agree to disagree,let's have FUN,and
Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
To each his own,this is a public form,like Roberta said,everybody has they're right to they're opinions and beliefs,like it or not,Everybody Got The Right,The Supremes Mary Cindy and jean LOL,Yes Roberta is a Religious person,it's harmless.agree to disagree,let's have FUN,and
Please stay positive

God bless you REDHOT. You are a shining light and your positive attitude is a real inspiration to all of us.

My personal best to you my friend.

Roberta