PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Scott McKenzie

test

mark speck
08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Just received word on Facebook late last night from Barry McGuire that Scott McKenzie passed away yesterday. Having Scott as a friend on FB, I knew that he had been in ill health for some time. I thought he had beaten whatever it was that was ailing him, but I guess that was not the case.

RIP, Scott, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

mark speck
08-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Scott's shining moment...

http://youtu.be/g_HhwinPw-M

mark speck
08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
http://youtu.be/78GxqOoiA50

The seldom-heard follow-up to "San Francisco"...I think this is just as good a tune.

Roberta75
08-19-2012, 10:04 PM
San Francisco is one of the most beloved songs to come out of the 1960's. Here is Scott last year and he sounds as great as he did in the sixties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjvI-2TiMg&feature=related

This gentle man and gentleman is now in the Heavenly Mansion with all his friends. I hope they were wearing flowers in their hair when they met Scott at the pearly gates.

I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord and he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live, and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die. Scott McKenzie brought nothing into this world, and carried nothing but his great music into the his Father's Mansion.

Thank you for the music Scott. I'm sending praises to the son of God, Jesus Christ for leading you home to Glory.

Roberta

heikki
08-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Hi Mark!

Thanks for bringing back memories with the great "Like An Old Time Movie." Those strings are awesome. I always preferred this song to San Francisco.

Best regards
Heikki

nathanj06
08-20-2012, 06:55 AM
That is such sad news. I had the opportunity to see Scott with the 80s Mamas & Papas and he sang San Francisco. John Phillips wrote it for the Mamas & Papas and decided to give it to Scott. That song will forever represent that era in the 60s. What a great voice. RIP Scott.

soulwally
08-20-2012, 07:26 AM
I never cease to be amazed on this website. I loved San Francisco, such an appealing song when you're young, innocent, idealistic and optimistic, like I was when it came out. So when I saw Like An Old Time Movie in a secondhand record shop some years later I bought it unheard [[it had never got played on British radio). And I've loved it ever since. So well said Mark and Heikki.

Kamasu_Jr
08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
San Francisco is one of the most beloved songs to come out of the 1960's. Here is Scott last year and he sounds as great as he did in the sixties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjvI-2TiMg&feature=related

This gentle man and gentleman is now in the Heavenly Mansion with all his friends. I hope they were wearing flowers in their hair when they met Scott at the pearly gates.

I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord and he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live, and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die. Scott McKenzie brought nothing into this world, and carried nothing but his great music into the his Father's Mansion.

Thank you for the music Scott. I'm sending praises to the son of God, Jesus Christ for leading you home to Glory.

Roberta

I agree. His recording of San Francisco is definitive and perfectly captures the summer of love. May he rest in peace.

bankhousedave
08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
He will live on as long as that song is reprised, which will be forever.

RIP Scott. There were a lot of songs from that time, but yours more than any brings back the atmosphere and the love we genuinely felt.

stephanie
08-20-2012, 07:58 PM
This is what I like about Soulful Detroit only on THIS board would people remember Old Time Movie. I used to play that to death when I got it 20 years ago. RIP Scott you had a beautiful voice.

Doug-Morgan
08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I swear sometimes Scott and John Phillips were joined at the hip. A much better musician than folks give him credit for. RIP.