PDA

View Full Version : Come and Get It :Rare Pearls - The Jackson 5

test

berry101
08-18-2012, 09:56 AM
New Jackson 5 compilation of unreleased material - Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z0js4KI1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

New compilation from Motown of unreleased material set to be released the same day as Bad25. I actually predicted this when Bad25 was released. This looks to be better than Bad25 too, besides the DVD. It's a 3 disc collection also.

EDIT: Now looks to be a 2 disc set ... I ain't mad though, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Come-And-Get-It-Pearls/dp/B008UTV73W

DISC 1:
1. [[We're The) Music Makers
2. If The Shoe Don't Fit
3. Come And Get It [[Love's On The Fire)
4. I Got A Sure Thing
5. After You Leave Girl
6. Mama Told Me Not To Come
7. Iddint
8. Since I Lost My Baby
9. Keep An Eye
10. Movin'
11. Feelin' Alright
12. You Better Watch Out
13. I'm Your Sunny One [[He's My Sunny Boy)
14. Someone's Standing In My Love Light

DISC 2:
1. If You Want Heaven
2. You Can't Hurry Love
3. Keep Off The Grass
4. Going My Wa
5. Makin' Life A Little Easier For You
6. Up On The Roof
7. If I Can't Nobody Can
8. Our Love
9. I Can't Get Enough Of You
10. Cupid
11. Let's Go Back To Day One
12. Would Ya Would Ya Baby
13. Love Trip
14. Label Me Love
15. Jumbo Sam
16. That's How Love Is
17. If I Have To Move A Mountain
18. Mama's Pearl
[Edited 8/16/12 19:54pm]

kje71
08-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Sound samples can be found here

http://www.amazon.com/Come-And-Get-It-Pearls/dp/B008XW8EXC

Too bad they're not releasing a proper Mono singles box set instead

dickiemint
08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I priced this set on Amazon and it is up for £55, that's about $75 how much is it selling for in USA?

kenneth
08-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I priced this set on Amazon and it is up for £55, that's about $75 how much is it selling for in USA?

Shows as a regular priced 2-disc set, $31.53 on Amazon US today. Looks like a nice set, too. I've hardly heard any of these titles before.

They put out a rarities disc after MJ died, but I didn't buy it. It didn't look very interesting. Mostly alternate versions of already released material, as I recall. This one looks a lot better.

stephanie
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I think only diehard early J5 fans will want this.

Roger Polhill
08-20-2012, 09:18 PM
I`m not a diehard J5 fan and I`ve ordered it. If it contains any pre 1971 Motown then I need it for my collection.

carole cucumber
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
http://theseconddisc.com/2012/08/22/lets-fall-in-love-with-new-jackson-5-rarities-set-from-hip-o-select/#more-16221

RossHolloway
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I think only diehard early J5 fans will want this.

And diehard Motown fans! I'm in!! It's essentially a Lost & Found set, I can't wait for this release.

carole cucumber
08-22-2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/08/21/159400793/song-premiere-jackson-5-if-the-shoe-dont-fit

carole cucumber
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
With the voices bouncing in and out of "If The Shoe Don't Fit" is that Marlon at 2:06 singing 'Can you dig what I'm talking about?' ?

chidrummer
08-23-2012, 11:56 AM
VERY interesting. I'll have to pick this one up on Tuesday.

CC - sounds like three voices singing, "can you dig it?". My guess would be Jackie, Mike and possibly Marlon.

Penny
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
With the voices bouncing in and out of "If The Shoe Don't Fit" is that Marlon at 2:06 singing 'Can you dig what I'm talking about?' ?

Does anyone know why they didn't record "Up The Ladder To The Roof?" It is reported it is the most covered Motown Record so I was just wondering?

Penny:cool:

bradsupremes
08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
There was a bootleg of "I'm Your Sunny One [[He's My Sunny Boy)" with just Michael singing on youtube. I'm not sure if it is the same vocal as the one that will be used on this upcoming collection. Even though Michael sounds great on it the lyrics just didn't work. One part he's singing "I'm your sunny boy" and then he'll later sing "He's our sunny boy." The song didn't make sense with a guy singing it. It's one of those tunes that is hard to change the tenders around. Maybe the version on this upcoming collection is different. It will be fun to hear though.

carole cucumber
08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know why they didn't record "Up The Ladder To The Roof?" It is reported it is the most covered Motown Record so I was just wondering?

Penny:cool:

You know I wondered the same thing myself. :D
Maybe the expert [[s) may want to chime in .

masterblaster
08-24-2012, 11:15 AM
. Even though Michael sounds great on it the lyrics just didn't work. One part he's singing "I'm your sunny boy" and then he'll later sing "He's our sunny boy." The song didn't make sense with a guy singing it.

Probably this was the reason the song was shelved in the first instance. It has been mentioned before that Michael sometimes didn't understand the lyrics he was singing as they were about a subject he was too young to understand.

jobeterob
08-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Probably this was the reason the song was shelved in the first instance. It has been mentioned before that Michael sometimes didn't understand the lyrics he was singing as they were about a subject he was too young to understand.

Michael did not know what the word "anguish" meant when he recorded Never Can Say Goodbye. I believe it was Deke Richards he had to ask.

The youngest 3 Jacksons left school early and couldn't spell, puncuate or write English all that well. They made their money another way!

It shouldn't be any surprise that a lot of these cuts are Michael on his own..............Got to be There wasn't a MJ alone cut. This was Motown; the public accepted whatever they were told by Motown at that time.

carole cucumber
08-28-2012, 10:12 PM
VERY interesting. I'll have to pick this one up on Tuesday.

CC - sounds like three voices singing, "can you dig it?". My guess would be Jackie, Mike and possibly Marlon.

Yes, I know that there are 3 voices on the repeated phrase "do you dig it' but there is only one voice that sings 'Can you dig what I'm talking about?'

marybrewster
08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
There was a bootleg of "I'm Your Sunny One [[He's My Sunny Boy)" with just Michael singing on youtube. I'm not sure if it is the same vocal as the one that will be used on this upcoming collection. Even though Michael sounds great on it the lyrics just didn't work. One part he's singing "I'm your sunny boy" and then he'll later sing "He's our sunny boy." The song didn't make sense with a guy singing it. It's one of those tunes that is hard to change the tenders around. Maybe the version on this upcoming collection is different. It will be fun to hear though.

Isn't there also a story of "shoulder" and "shoulders" from "I'll Be There"?

Glenpwood
08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I gotta reiterate again like I did yesterday on the Nightflight thread that this set is definetely worth picking up, even if just digitally. The mixes Deke did for these tracks are amazing. It's like 1970 all over again. You can swap these in and out of the early albums without missing a beat. The booket photos are whimsical and perfect choices. These should never be considered leftovers or rejects. Kudos all around to Harry Deke Andy and Kevin for all their hard work!

jobeterob
08-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Celebrate Michael Jackson's birthday week with brand new Jackson 5 Music!

Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls Collection Showcases Three Albums' Worth of Classic Material

A Treasure Trove From The Motown Vault Fills 2-CDs

Album Available Now at iTunes

The Jackson 5 burst on the music scene like a ray of sunshine in late 1969, reeling off four consecutive No. 1 hits, inspiring worldwide Jacksonmania. To stay hot they kept recording, and a treasure trove of newly discovered and previously unreleased recordings by Michael, Jermaine, Jackie, Marlon and Tito are being released for the first time on Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls [[Motown/Hip-oSelect/UMe). Produced by Deke Richards, leader of "The Corporation™," the Jackson 5's original hit songwriting-production team, the extraordinary 32-track, 2-CD set - enough songs to fill three Jackson 5 albums - is available digitally now, in honor of Michael's birthday [[August 29). The retail version will be released September 18, 2012, and housed in a special box with deluxe packaging.

"Motown maintained a level of quality that remains unparalleled," said Bruce Resnikoff, President/CEO, UMe. "The Jackson 5, like many of the Motown greats, recorded more material than they could ever release. There's something in this set for every fan, from their bubblegum-pop beginnings to their more mature years. Every song on this set is a 'Jackson 5 classic' and we are thrilled that they were discovered and we can make them available to the public for the first time."

Producer Deke Richards added, "When I listened to the very first tracks that were uncovered, it was almost like scratching my way through the darkness, with only a small torch to guide me. Then all at once a glow appeared, like discovering King Solomon's Mines.... There were sapphires, diamonds, rubies, and then there were those gorgeous pearls, those unmistakable 'rare pearls.' They sound as good today as they did when they were recorded 40 years ago. Michael and his brothers are truly remarkable. I knew when I heard their songs again, it was my destiny to give each of these songs some TLC and share them with the rest of the world. Pound for pound, this is some of their best music ever."

Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls is rich with gems. "If The Shoe Don't Fit" is a "Corporation classic" that coulda-woulda-shoulda been the follow-up to the J5's No. 1 hit "The Love You Save." "Our Love," led by Jermaine, is destined to become a new wedding favorite. "If You Want Heaven" updates the classic Motown sound, while "Iddinit," "If I Can't Nobody Can" and "Would Ya Would Ya Baby" hint at a new funk direction for the brothers. "Love Trip," a ballad, points in the direction a solo Michael would take in the next phase of his career.

There are also striking covers done J5-style, including "Mama Told Me Not To Come," a No. 1 hit for Three Dog Night; Jackie DeShannon's "Movin';" the pop/soul perennial "Up On The Roof;" a Stax nugget, "I Got A Sure Thing;" Traffic's "Feelin' Alright," in a stompin' studio version of a song previously best known performed live by the J5; and new versions of Motown chestnuts "You Can't Hurry Love," "Keep An Eye," "I'm Your Sunny One [[He's My Sunny Boy)" [[all originally by the Supremes); "Since I Lost My Baby" [[Temptations); "Lets Go Back To Day One" [[Eddie Kendricks); and "Label Me Love" [[Different Shades Of Brown).

Bonus tracks are: producer Deke Richards' original unedited version of "That's How Love Is," a rarity which first appeared on 2009's I Want You Back!: The Unreleased Masters; Richards' original extended mix for "If I Have To Move A Mountain," an LP track issued in 1972; and a super treat for J5 fans, the demo for "Mama's Pearl," previously hidden deep in Deke's personal vault.

Download Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls Now at iTunes

TRACK LIST:

Disc 1
1. [[We're The) Music Makers
2. If The Shoe Don't Fit
3. Come And Get It [[Love's On The Fire)
4. I Got A Sure Thing
5. After You Leave Girl
6. Mama Told Me Not To Come
7. Iddinit
8. Since I Lost My Baby
9. Keep An Eye
10. Movin'
11. Feelin' Alright studio version
12. You Better Watch Out
13. I'm Your Sunny One [[He's My Sunny Boy)
14. Someone's Standing In My Love Light

Disc 2
1. If You Want Heaven
2. You Can't Hurry Love
3. Keep Off The Grass
4. Going My Way
5. Makin' Life A Little Easier For You
6. Up On The Roof
7. If I Can't Nobody Can
8. Our Love
9. I Can't Get Enough Of You
10. Cupid
11. Let's Go Back To Day One
12. Would Ya Would Ya Baby
13. Love Trip
14. Label Me Love
15. Jumbo Sam

Bonus Tracks
16. That's How Love Is original complete version
17. If I Have To Move A Mountain original complete version
18. Mama's Pearl demo [["Guess Who's Making Whoopee")

psychedelic jacques
09-01-2012, 05:46 AM
looking forward to this - a little surprised they didn't include 1-2-3 [[easy as ABC). I wonder if this track will ever get released?

144man
09-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Any news on a UK release date?

dickiemint
09-01-2012, 04:21 PM
144man
It is listed on Amazon UK for Nov 9th , it is the price that is putting me off £55.98 last time I checked
Most of the Hip O releases prices are high on pre order but then drop at or just after the release Marvelettes Vol 2 and 70's Supremes Vol 2 did just that.

144man
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Dickiemint. It will have to wait at that price.

dickiemint
09-09-2012, 08:20 AM
144man and anyone else who is interested
the price on Amazon UK has dropped to £27.16 and release date is Sept 18th.
It might go down again before release if not they nomally do a couple of weeks after, I think at one point the Tammi set came down to £5.99 and the Marvelletes vol 1 came down to £9.99.
The Rare Pearls set is not listed on HMV UK yet, but they are sometimes cheaper than Amazon but not as reliable.

mr soul
09-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Now £25.07 on Amazon UK & release dated given as 15/10/2012.

144man
09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
That's more reasonable.

Kamasu_Jr
09-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Waiting on a good sale price for this in the US.

psychedelic jacques
09-19-2012, 05:09 AM
the Hip-o blurb states that the packaging will be in the style of TCMS, even to the point of including a 'bonus' 7" single [[of 'if the shoe don't fit' IIRC), so I wouldn't expect the price to come down that much more.

carole cucumber
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
My copy arrived today. For a brief moment, I wondered if there might be a reel to reel tape in the box. The presentation is very 70's-ish, swirls and print designs to resemble J5 [or should I say, JV] 'groovy' stage wear. It's rather quite ingenious. Kudos to the art team!
The box outside back cover photo is attention-getting. Young Michael Jackson doesn't seem to be pleased and the reaction on his brother's faces is also quite revealing. But who is standing between Jermaine & Jackie and who is behind the drums [[likely receiving Michael's ire)?
Obviously the booklet black cover [[circle design front, inner tape box motif) was not scheduled to be the original cover. The credits on Pg 31 list the booklet back cover as featuring a photo [[likely the one on un-numbered page 32). Thanks for adding the 2nd outer cover. It beautifully brings all the packaging together cohesively.
As usual Deke's writing [[though relatively short) is spot on. I wonder what songs/artists might have been on the master tapes destroyed in the fire in Deke's Hollywood studio.
C'mon Deke we need that book you were supposed to be writing.
The photo [[pg 28) of Deke, Fonce & Freddie is a gem; when I came to the photo of Michael [[pg 30) waving [[goodbye/hello) from the car, I had a slightly eerie feeling come over me.
Oh, well, enough of first impressions. It's time to listen to the music!

Kamasu_Jr
09-27-2012, 12:08 PM
There is some great music on this set. I especially liked the covers Of You Can't Hurry Love, Up On the Roof, Feelin' Alright, and Mama Told Me Not to come. I haven't listened to it all.

captainjames
09-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Mine is on its way or in my mailbox, after listening to some of the reviews here I will have to go get it.

hwume
09-27-2012, 10:43 PM
The box outside back cover photo is attention-getting. Young Michael Jackson doesn't seem to be pleased and the reaction on his brother's faces is also quite revealing. But who is standing between Jermaine & Jackie and who is behind the drums [[likely receiving Michael's ire)?

Seems like those two fellows are Johnny Jackson and Ronnie Rancifer, the other two of the four musicians who performed on stage with the J5.

So, how about the music?

R.I.P. Frank Wilson

dickiemint
09-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi All
Will the UK release have the same packaging as the US, with the 7 inch etc ?

carole cucumber
09-29-2012, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=hwume;125105]Seems like those two fellows are Johnny Jackson and Ronnie Rancifer, the other two of the four musicians who performed on stage with the J5.<br>
<br>
So, how about the music?<br>
<br>
R.I.P. Frank Wilson[/QUOTE

Sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to immerse myself in the experience before responding. And immerse myself I have.
I'm impressed by the variety of styles the J5 were given to tackle. The musicians of L.A. Motown [[rented studio or not) sure could hold their own! What was in the groove[[s) [[or on the tape) still counted whether in Detroit or L.A.
Tracks have been sequenced well and at times chronologically. I'm thoroughly enjoying the soulful Bobby Taylor numbers, the frenetic Corporation tracks, and the skilled craftsmanship of those arranged and produced solely by Deke Richards. One of the brightest spots for me is what I assume is the [[recent) additional production by Deke Richards on several Hal Davis/James Carmichael creations. I'm not sure what they sounded like before Deke worked his magic, but they sure do sparkle & pop on the collection. The remake of 'You Can't Hurry Love' by Phil Collins certainly pales in comparison to the fresh J5 version.
It was great to hear the 'Do It Baby' and 'Mama's Pearl' prototypes, although I wonder if by the end of the latter Michael was all 'whoopied out'.
When 'Movin' began, it sounded as if the initial musical groove was borrowed from the Rascals' 'Groovin'. I kept expecting to hear 'Groovin' not 'Movin'.
With Frank Wilson's passing, I perceived that the J5 recorded their quasi-'Up the Ladder in "If You Want Heaven' and quasi 'Everybody's Got the Right To Love' in 'Makin' Life A Little Easier For You'.
I was surprised that the bouncy 'Cupid' is the newest track on the collection [[January 1974).
My one disappointment was that disc 1 could have easily held another 20-25 minutes of music.

I do have 2 questions:

Who is singing lead on 'Since I Lost My Baby'? Part of me wants to say Jermaine in a softened tone rather than his usual huskiness.

Was 'Label Me Love' spliced together from more than one take? There seems to be a difficult quick transition from one vocal tone to another at several points in the song. Or was Michael just THAT good?

Many thanks to Deke, Harry, Chip, Kevin, Andy & all others involved. I only hope that with the release of the 'Bad Anniversary Edition' these fine recordings will not be lost in the shuffle.

theboyfromxtown
10-13-2012, 09:33 AM
My copy [[s) is at last being sent.....

booty
10-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Same here. Despatched today from Amazon.co.uk.

hwume
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks Carole for the comments on the tracks.

That's a *young* Jermaine on "Since I Lost My Baby."

On "Label Me Love" it is difficult tell whether MJ punched in certain parts or whether he sang all the way through. I'd say the latter but I don't know. It is a tough song to sing.

P.S. For the record: this album all along was to be released on 08/28, the day before MJ's birthday, but the manufacturing for the special box and vinyl 45 pushed the date - and when I asked what was the absolute earliest we could go, I was told 09/18. This was not planned around or drafted off of 'Bad 25' [[or, ha, vice versa).

mamaspearl2
10-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I would agree, "Label Me Love" is a difficult song to sing and I'd bet MJ was good enough to sing it all the way through...however who knows? Just purchased my copy yesterday and I'm going through Disc 2. I'll definitely chime in on "Rare Pearls" when I finish.

mamaspearl2
10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
I will always be thankful for any new material released on the J5! I'm a huge fan and love the impact these kids had on the world. Over the years, we've heard there were some 469 songs recorded w/ Motown. I hope that number is inaccurate...we want more, no doubt! However, I purchased the collection yesterday and have finished listening. I'm very confident my thoughts may change over time, in my opinion here's my analysis.

Disc 1
1. [[We're The) Music Makers - No

2. If The Shoe Don't Fit – OK, good bounce

3. Come And Get It [[Love's On The Fire) – No. A bit reminiscent of Redbone’s “Come And Get Your Love”…there is a distinct guitar lick in the J5’s intro [[:00 -:06) mark that can be found in Redbone just before the 1:07 mark. Redbone pay up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWnRMAVWVjk

4. I Got A Sure Thing – very mature selection for the 5ive, although Michael exudes a deep soul during the chorus.

5. After You Leave Girl – this track reminds me of The Four Tops, “Wish I Didn’t Love You So” from their Now LP

6. Mama Told Me Not To Come – funny, a true experiment.

7. Iddinit – clever track, like the horns. Potential b-side.

8. Since I Lost My Baby – nice piece of work. Jermaine’s husky soul in the early years is priceless.

9. Keep An Eye – good exchange between MJ and Jermaine, not much else to go on.

10. Movin' – goin’ nowhere.

11. Feelin' Alright studio version- a highlight for me. Excellent cover. Would’ve been a great add to the ABC lp.

12. You Better Watch Out – not much here, lacks punch.

13. I'm Your Sunny One [[He's My Sunny Boy) – MJ rides the rhythm on this one! Another track that should’ve made an LP.

14. Someone's Standing In My Love Light – MJ and his mimic of Levi Stubbs, a “7 Rooms of Gloom” feel. Not bad, I like it.

Disc 2
1. If You Want Heaven – I like this one, wish they would’ve not cut the fade so soon. The Four Tops “Same ‘Ol Song”.

2. You Can't Hurry Love – not sure where this one fits.

3. Keep Off The Grass – cute lyrics, not much else.

4. Going My Way – Jermaine takes charge on this one, voice is more mature. Possibly a nice add to his solo LP or the Lookin’ Through The Windows LP.

5. Makin' Life A Little Easier For You – a good hand clappin’ track.

6. Up On The Roof – A happy-go-lucky type of track.

7. If I Can't Nobody Can – Another highlight for me. 1972…? Hmm…MJ’s voice sounds like ’73 era. Would’ve been a great lead single from the Skywriter LP.

8. Our Love – doesn’t grab me, however could’ve been a filler on Jermaine’s self-titled LP in ’72.

9. I Can't Get Enough Of You – a great foot stomper.

10. Cupid – a no brainer Valentine’s Day release. Joyful Jukebox Music.

11. Let's Go Back To Day One – I don’t know, I feel like Jermaine should’ve sung this one.

12. Would Ya Would Ya Baby – clever, could’ve been a great song in concert. Soul clap!

13. Love Trip – I’m waiting for Michael to say “Euphoria” on this one. Very mellow and dreamy track.

14. Label Me Love – I actually LOVE this one! Should’ve been released on Skywriter or re-recorded in late ’74, early ’75 for MJ’s Forever, Michael LP.

15. Jumbo Sam – Was there indecision between this one and The Boogie Man?

Bonus Tracks
16. That's How Love Is original complete version – this one will have to grow on me.

17. If I Have To Move A Mountain original complete version –Very nice, either one could’ve been on the LTTW LP.

18. Mama's Pearl demo [["Guess Who's Making Whoopee") – the beat alone is killer!!!

144man
10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I had doubts about buying this set, but now I've got it I'm glad I did. Much better than expected.

psychedelic jacques
11-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Haven't got the set yet [[hoping to get it via Santa next month), but i've listened to disc 1 via streaming, and the highlights for me are 'if the shoe don't fit', 'come and get it', 'keep an eye' and 'you better watch out'. 'Mama told me...' was, erm, certainly interesting, and not the worst by far.

Whilst i'm waiting for Santy, can someone who has the set tell me if the two discs are compiled chronologically, as i didn't really get a sense of this from disc 1? Thanks.

dvus7
11-24-2012, 04:03 PM
There is a track called "Money Honey" that was recorded by J-5 and it got Bobby Taylor fired from J-5 producer. As BG wanted a more "pop" sound and Mr. Taylor was producing a soul/r&b sound, and he gave BG the "finger" when he told him that!!!! Has anybody heard this track??

carole cucumber
11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
There is a track called "Money Honey" that was recorded by J-5 and it got Bobby Taylor fired from J-5 producer. As BG wanted a more "pop" sound and Mr. Taylor was producing a soul/r&b sound, and he gave BG the "finger" when he told him that!!!! Has anybody heard this track??

Anyone who has "Soulsation: 25th anniversary Collection' has a version produced by Hal Davis. I don't know if Bobby Taylor's version was finished/kept. Perhaps Harry, Andy or George can supply an answer.

hwume
11-25-2012, 09:26 AM
The set is roughly chronological order.

"Money Honey," a cover of the Drifters' song, was recorded by the Jackson 5 in L.A. with producer Hal Davis. There is no other J5 version produced by Bobby Taylor.

The story of BT getting fired is a complicated one - I don't think there was one song over another that instigated his being excused from the main producer chair. He produced dozens of songs with the group through the first half of 1970, well after "I Want You Back" [[and the BT-produced B-side) was a smash, he is credited with 3/4 of the tracks on their first album, and he moved, with his then-wife, to L.A. with the group to ease their transition into the major leagues. What Bobby was selecting and producing for them ultimately was not the hit formula the company wanted, and so he wasn't asked to do any more tunes.

Giving the boss the finger didn't help.

psychedelic jacques
11-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your reply, Harry. Looking forward to the J5 and the Mary Wells for xmas, hopefully.

dvus7
11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
The set is roughly chronological order.

"Money Honey," a cover of the Drifters' song, was recorded by the Jackson 5 in L.A. with producer Hal Davis. There is no other J5 version produced by Bobby Taylor.

The story of BT getting fired is a complicated one - I don't think there was one song over another that instigated his being excused from the main producer chair. He produced dozens of songs with the group through the first half of 1970, well after "I Want You Back" [[and the BT-produced B-side) was a smash, he is credited with 3/4 of the tracks on their first album, and he moved, with his then-wife, to L.A. with the group to ease their transition into the major leagues. What Bobby was selecting and producing for them ultimately was not the hit formula the company wanted, and so he wasn't asked to do any more tunes.

Giving the boss the finger didn't help.

@hwume...Thank you for the response!!! Just one question.....How many of those 400 un-released songs of the J-5 were produced by Bobby Taylor???

Motown4Ever518
09-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I am playing my recently received set and in listening to Disc one, the only song I played over was Sunny Boy. I am a huge William Robinson fan. When I got the Love Child 45 as a lad, I recall playing it about 2 times to every three times that I played Love Child. Some of the songs are as good as, or in some cases better than than some of the studio cuts that were released on the albums.

thomas96
09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
@hwume...Thank you for the response!!! Just one question.....How many of those 400 un-released songs of the J-5 were produced by Bobby Taylor???

He recorded and produced about 50 songs on them in Detroit [[including released ones) and I would guess another 75-100 in L.A with the Corporation, though he didn't receive credit for those ones. [[Credited to "The Corporation" which he was never credited for being a part of)