PDA

View Full Version : Rate My Record Collection, So Far...

test

Ngroove
08-17-2012, 01:03 PM
LPs: A-M:

Al Green, "I'm Still In Love With You" 1972 Hi
Al Green, "Let's Stay Together" 1972 Hi
Anita Baker, "Rapture" 1986 Elektra
Bruce Springsteen, "Born In The U.S.A." 1984 Columbia
Bobby Caldwell, "Carry On" 1982 Polydor
Carol Douglas, "Midnight Love Affair" 1976 Midland International
Carole King, "Tapestry" 1971 Epic / Ode
Chaka Khan, "Chaka" 1978 Warner Bros
Chic, "C'est Chic" 1978 Atlantic
Chic, "Risque" 1979 Atlantic
Commodores, "Natural High" 1978 Motown
David Ruffin, "Who I Am" 1975 Motown
Debra Laws, "Very Special" 1981 Elektra
Deniece Williams, "This Is Niecy" 1976 Columbia
Diana Ross, "Diana Ross" 1970 Motown
Donna Summer, "Bad Girls" 1979 Casablanca
El DeBarge, "El DeBarge" 1986 Gordy
Emotions, "Rejoice" 1977 Columbia
Evelyn Champagne King, "Get Loose" 1982 RCA
Evelyn Champagne King, "I'm In Love" 1981 RCA
Evelyn Champagne King, "Smooth Talk" 1977 RCA
France Joli, "France Joli" 1979 Prelude
Freddie Jackson, "Just Like The First Time" 1986 Capitol
Freddie Jackson, "Rock Me Tonight" 1985 Capitol
Funkadelic, "Uncle Jam Wants You", 1979 Warner Bros
George Benson, "Breezin'" 1976 Warner Bros
High Inergy, "Frenzy" 1979 Gordy
High Inergy, "Steppin' Out" 1978 Gordy
Howard Johnson, "Keepin' Love New" 1982 A&M
Irene Cara, "Anyone Can See" 1982 Network
Isaac Hayes, "Joy" 1973 Stax
Jesse Johnson, "Jesse Johnson's Revue" 1985 A&M
Kashif, "Send Me Your Love" 1984 Arista
Kool & The Gang, "Ladies' Night" 1979 De-Lite
Jr. Walker & the All-Stars, "Shotgun" 1965 Soul
Laura Nyro, "New York Tendaberry" 1969 Columbia
Lillo Thomas, "Lillo" 1987 Capitol
Linda Clifford, "Let Me Be Your Woman" 1979 RSO
Lionel Richie, "Can't Slow Down" 1983 Motown
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force, "Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force" 1985 Columbia
Lou Rawls, "All Things In Time" 1976 Philedelphia International
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, "United" 1967 Tamla
Mary Wilson, "Mary Wilson" 1979 Motown
Minnie Riperton, "Perfect Angel" 1974 Epic
Miracles, "City of Angels" 1975 Tamla

Ngroove
08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
LPs N-Z:

Olivia Newton-John, "Physical" 1980 MCA
Patrice Rushen, "Watch Out!" 1987 Arista
Peabo Bryson, "Reaching For The Sky" 1978 Capitol
Peaches & Herb, "2 Hot" 1978 Polydor
Regina, "Curiosity", 1986 Atlantic
Rick James, "Come Get It!" 1978 Gordy
Sheila E, "Sheila E" 1987 Paisley Park
Sister Sledge, "We Are Family" 1979 Cotillion
Sister Sledge, "Love Somebody Today" 1979 Cotillion
Skyy, "Skyy Line" 1981 Salsoul
Stacy Lattisaw, "Sneakin' Out" 1982 Cotillion
Supremes, "I Hear A Symphony" 1965 Motown
Supremes, "Supremes A' Go-Go" 1966 Motown
Supremes, "Touch" 1971 Motown
Supremes, "Where Did Our Love Go" 1964 Motown
Supremes [[Diana Ross & the), "Love Child" 1968 Motown
Supremes [[Diana Ross & the) & the Temptations, "Diana Ross Join the Temptations & the Supremes" 1968 Motown
Sylvers, "Showcase" 1976 Capitol
Teddy Pendergrass, "Teddy" 1979 Philedelphia International"
Thelma Houston, "Ready to Roll" 1978 Motown
Vanity, "Wild Animal", 1984 Motown
Vicki Sue Robinson, "Half and Half" 1977 RCA
Vicki Sue Robinson, "Never Gonna Let You Go" 1976 RCA

Ngroove
08-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Compilations A-Z

Boz Scaggs, "Hits!" 1980 Columbia
Donna Summer, "On The Radio: Greatest Hits: Volumes I & II" 1979 Casablanca
Gladys Knight & the Pips, "Anthology" 1973 Motown
"Motown Story [[The): The First Twenty-Five Years" 1983 Motown
Sly & the Family Stone, "Greatest Hits" 1970 Epic

Live A-Z

Nancy Wilson, "The Nancy Wilson Show!" 1965 Capitol

Soundtracks A-Z

"Fame" 1980 RSO
Stevie Wonder, "Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants" 1979 Tamla

Remix A-Z

Jellybean, "Rock The House!" 1988 Chrysalis

12" A-Z

Alisha, "Into My Secret" 1987 RCA
Ana, "Shy Boys" 1987 Parc
Angela, "All Hung Up" 1985 Sutra
Ashford & Simpson, "Solid" 1984 Capitol
Freeez, "I.O.U." 1983 Streetwise
Janet Jackson, "What Have You Done For Me Lately" 1986 A&M
Kurtis Blow, "The Breaks" 1980 Mercury
Sa-Fire, "Boy, I've Been Told" 1988 Cutting Records / Mercury
Sister Sledge, "We Are Family / "He's The Greatest Dancer" 1979 Cotillion
Stacy Lattisaw, "What You Need" 1989 Motown

soulster
08-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Except for about 25 or so albums, our collections are the same. Except...I have many more genres.

I would like to post my collection for fun.

Ngroove
08-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Go ahead Soulster; it's just plain fun itself, to open up to mutual love of all that is groovy, or just plain candy to the ears, to purely mood-soothing...took me about an hour or so, to sort out, alphabetize, inventory it, myself, but I take great pride all the same in it, almost amazed how many I have already, only got my player last Christmas...

Schucks...my usual record budget is usually anywhere from thrift store prices, to $10 which I've paid for Funkadelic, purely for "[[Not Just) Knee Deep", which was worth it, all 15 minutes of it! Gosh, I've actually spotted an actual "Mary Wells Sings My Guy", one time, but for $30...

Got a question for ya, Soulster also...actually saw in an Antique Market, an actual Manchild "Power and Love" album, for $10...astonished me that the teenaged Babyface actually had a mustache hahaha...but wonderin', was that a total missed opportunity, if it's rare, or just a total "I shoulda took advantage of it", or kinda more an interesting novelty nowadays, compared to the Deele and beyond?

daddyacey
08-18-2012, 03:13 AM
" only got my player last Christmas..."...............
Are you talking about a turntable.????

"took me about an hour or so, to sort out, alphabetize, inventory it, myself, but I take great pride all the same in it, almost amazed how many I have already,"..................

If you mean vinyl you will be amazed in how large your collection will get if you truly get into collecting "records". It's not about how many you have, but about learning and about the music and finding out the history of the many sub divisions of the soul/funk/jazz/r&b so called Black Music genre---------which is not all Black. I've been collecting Music/Records for 51 of my 57 years on earth and have records older than me and still I learn something new every day. Hanging around this forum you will encounter a massive knowledge [[and fun) of music from collectors that post on the Forum.

Soulster --------- "I would like to post my collection for fun."

I would guess that that would be a long list.

Kamasu_Jr
08-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Keep collecting and trying different things, as daddyacey suggested What I see, and this is just my opinion, is a nice eclectic collection of pop music. You seem to like a little bitt of everything, which is cool. But I didn't see anything from the 1950s, nor the pillars of soul...No Sam Cooke, Ray Charles or James Brown. You mention Sheila E, but nothing from Prince. I noticed Lou Rawls' All things In Time on your list, but none of his classic albums from his tenure at Capitol Records, which led to his signing with Philadelphia International. I don't see any Aretha Franklin or the Impressions; Not much Jazz and not much classic Stax and nothing from influentual music cities like New Orleans or Chicago. As far as pop, I don't see any Beatles, Beach Boys, Mamas & Papas or Laura Nyro on your list. But I guess it depends on how much you want to collect and what you are interested in. Unfortunately [[for my wallet) or fortunately, I'm interested in almost everything and could never post a list of what I have because it changes all of the time and I'm always adding things.

Ngroove
08-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Tis' alright Kamasu...always a matter of exploration, discovering, opening up to more music...a lot admittedly I've never thought about.

My music tastes....a lot into rhythm & blues [[anywhere from the fifties, to nineties, extremely little in the noughties, as is also music's direction in general), blues [[pretty relaxing & mellow when listening on the radio, whenever listening to it with my father, but again, never thought about buying some, yet), gospel, obviously disco / dance, as seen in list, but yeah, seems like lots of the seventies are pretty easy to find and cheap.

As for the older, going deeper stuff, usually a matter of finding it to begin with. I guess, I can always go online, but waiting is never a strong suit for me hahaha. But yes, I have seen an occassional Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin in record bins before.

Rock....kind of a listener just about all my life, I guess....my father, a Motown / Stax listener himself, but more usually a listener of classic rock, And my brother, he goes slightly darker, to wild stuff like metal. Again, never really thought about it. I guess, I can always start with Elvis, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and I do tolerate the occassional Eagles, Chicago, and Foreigner, go from there.

Pop...now that's kind of a matter, of what may be too "vanilla" in image or sound, to what I think, and occassionally what others may think. For instance, the comparisons, between the Jacksons, and the Sylvers, compared to the Osmonds, and the Partridges. Heck, I gotta feeling I'll be ripped by my family & friends for saying I actually listen to Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow, WHAM!, Bon Jovi, Debbie Gibson, even Johnny Mathis [[whom, of course, from the start, has been a "crossover" name, more aligned to pop / easy listening, that even my folks would consider "old people" music!). But yes, I guess I should go mostly a matter of simply listening to purely what sounds good, perhaps I should follow that myself, regardless of former personal feelings, or what others may feel.

tsull1
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I'll say it's an awesome collection. I'm a Spinners, Temptations, O'Jays guy and didn't see any there, so I give you a few red check marks, going from an "A" grade to an "A-" grade. :>)

Nevertheless, it's an awesome collection.

Your mission -- should you choose to accept it -- is to go buy some Motown and Philly Soul and call me in the morning. :>)

Ngroove
08-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Groovy, always been a Motown lover myself, for a dozen yearsnow....but yet, despite all the goodies I still see time-and-again - Supremes, Diana Ross, Temptations [[mostly the seventies ones though), Jackson Five, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, to Rick James, Commodores, even Switch, gosh, always something else diverting my eye at the moment...well, sooner or later, maybe next trip, if they're still there, if I'm lucky...

Kinda wish my Motown Story set sufficed, atleast for alittle while, the "stories" are great really, but oftentimes, just in mood for some music hahaha!

Thanks Tsull; Philly-wise, Teddy's THE MAN, and Spinners, O'Jays, Stylistics, Blue Magic has always been fun confections whenever I hear them on the radio...I shall look up on them.

Ngroove
08-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Most Recent addition to collection, just bought a few hours ago:

Carpenters [[The), "The Singles 1969-1973", 1974 A&M

Beautiful, relaxing music, to listen to as I am on this evening, although feels more like lazy, sunny day listening, but quality music is truly great, timeless to listen anytime.

daddyacey
08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Ngroove--- Like what you like-- cause you like it. Later for what others might think. It's YOUR COLLECTION.
Do your research. The thrill of listening and buying is in the hunt , be it online or used record stores or even the thrift shops and Salvation Army/ Goodwill stores.

Ngroove
08-19-2012, 01:38 PM
45s A-Z:

5 Stairsteps [[The), "O-O-H Child / Who Do You Belong To" 1970 Buddah
Barbara Lewis, "Hello Stranger / Think A Little Sugar" 1963 Atlantic
Barry Manilow, "Can't Smile Without You / Sunrise" 1978 Arista
Betty Everett, "There'll Come A Time / Take Me" 1969 Uni
Billy Paul, "Me And Mrs. Jones / Your Song" 1972 Philedelphia International
Bloodstone, "We Go A Long Way Back / Nite Time Fun" 1982 T-Neck
Bobby Womack, "Lookin' For A Love" Let It Hang Out" 1973 United Artists
Bootsy's Rubber Band, "I'd Rather Be With You / Body Slam!" 1976, 1982 Warner Bros
Chairmen of the Board, "Give Me Just A Little More Time / Since The Days of Pigtails [[and Fairy Tales) 1970 Invictus
Dionne Warwick, "You'll Never Get To Heaven [[If You Break My Heart) / A House Is Not A Home" 1964 Scepter
Gary U.S. Bonds, "This Little Girl / Way Back When" 1981 EMI America
Gladys Knight & The Pips, "Daddy Could Swear, I Declare / For Once In My Life" 1973 Motown
Kool and the Gang, " Too Hot / Tonight's The Night" 1979 De-Lite
Linda Ronstadt, "Love Is A Rose / Heat Wave" 1975 Asylum
Linda Ronstadt, "Ooh Baby Baby / Blowing Away" 1973 Asylum
Lou Rawls, "A Natural Man / You Can't Hold On" 1971 MGM
Love Unlimited Orchestra, "Love's Theme" 1973 20th Century
Manhattans [[The), "Shining Star / I'll Never Run Away From Love Again" 1980 Columbia
Marvin Gaye, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" / You're What's Happening [[In The World Today" 1968 Tamla
Michael Jackson, "Ben / You Can Cry [[On My Shoulder)" 1972 Motown
Michael Jackson, "Just A Little Bit Of You / Dear Michael" 1975 Motown
Mtume, "Juicy Fruit" 1983 Epic
Natalie Cole, "Our Love / La Costa" 1977 Capitol
O'Jays [[The), "Give The People What They Want" 1975 Philedelphia International
Patrice Rushen, "Haven't You Heard / Keepin' Faith In Love" 1979 Elektra
Peaches & Herb, "I Pledge My Love / [[I Want Us) Back Together" 1979 Polydor
Pointer Sisters, "He's So Shy / Movin' On" 1980 Planet
Rare Earth, "I Just Want To Celebrate / The Seed" 1971 Rare Earth
Ray Parker Jr, "The Other Woman / Stay The Night" 1982 Arista
R. Dean Taylor, "Indiana Wants Me / Love's Your Name" 1970 Rare Earth
Roberta Flack, "Killing Me Softly With His Song / Just Like A Woman" 1973 Atlantic
Shalamar, "Make That Move / Pop Along Kid" 1980 Solar
Sister Sledge, "We Are Family / Easier To Love" 1979 Cotillion
Smokey Robinson, "There Will Come A Day [[I'm Gonna Happen To You / The Humming Song [[Lost For Words)" 1977 Tamla
Sylvers [[The), "Boogie Fever / Free Style" 1975 Capitol
Sylvers [[The), "Hot Line / That's What Love Is Made Of" 1976 Capitol
Temptations [[The), "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are) / Gonna Keep On Tryin' Til' Win Your Love" 1971 Gordy
Temptations [[The), "Let Your Hair Down / Ain't No Justice" 1973 Gordy
Tower of Power, "So Very Hard To Go / Clean Slate" 1973 Warner Bros
Wilson Pickett, "I Found A True Love / For Better Or Worse" 1968 Atlantic

mark speck
08-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks like you have the beginning of a decent collection, Ngroove...I would second any and all motions for stuff for you to add.

Posting my collection would take HOURS...LOL!!

Best,

Mark

Ngroove
08-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Groovy!, and thanks Mark Speck. My advise on archiving....after logging it in list, pop in a record, let it flow, every situation is better with music!

My playing singers of choice when I archived...Boz Scaggs and Bobby Caldwell...really relaxing, with a light groove.

soulster
08-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Ngroove, I don't have an answer for you because I don't know how rare the album is. But, as a collector of soul music, if you find something that interests you, snap it up! You seriously may never see it again!

I decided to not post my albums because I just took a reading and realized that posting 35,000 album titles, not including soundtracks and various artists, is just too much to list here. I'm not kidding! I have listened to every one of them at least once, too!

Kamasu_Jr
08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Ngroove, I don't have an answer for you because I don't know how rare the album is. But, as a collector of soul music, if you find something that interests you, snap it up! You seriously may never see it again!

I decided to not post my albums because I just took a reading and realized that posting 35,000 album titles, not including soundtracks and various artists, is just too much to list here. I'm not kidding! I have listened to every one of them at least once, too!

Soulster: You could create a seperate website and take your time working on it.
NGroove, where do you usually buy vinyl? Is there a local music store where you live? I used to hunt for vinyl everywhere from used music stores to thrift marketsl I bought vinyl through the mail and whenever i went to New York or some other city, I'd bring home vinyl. There was a store in the Detroit area called Car City and I'd spend hours there looking at and buying vinyl. I had so much vinyl that it became really hard whenever I changed jobs to move it all. Professional movers would complain. I ended up putting it away in storage and selling and donating a lot of it. I thought CDs would be easier, but I have boxes and cartons of those.

Ngroove
08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
My usual locales to buy vinyl: flea markets [[there's a place called "Trader's World" in my Ohio area, where there's atleast a couple of great record-store like vendors), alongside many others here-and-there with their assorted stacks, sometimes gems hide in them, Half-Price Books - with most of them sold for $2.49 and 45s sold for a quarter each, another Second Hand Bookstore, Second and Charles, and a couple of recordstores in downtown cities, in Dayton, Omega music, and in Cincinnatti, think it's called Everybody's Music.

Online, kind of a "last resort" thing, mostly because sometimes shipping & handling rates, sometimes the waiting for my music to arrive, both always kills me! But yes , if can't find it anywhere else, and I really, really, want that music enough, places like Amazon or eBay has just about everything. Although, so far, I've only bought one record online so far; Angela's "All Hung Up" 12" maxi-single; paid about 8 bucks I think, for that single boogie / electro/ freestyle / pop gem, that has never been CD-ed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLjmzi8P0o
Next record thinking about online buying; maybe, Surface's "When Your X Wants You back" 12'-inch, or Vicky D's "This Beat Is Mine".