PDA

View Full Version : Sparkle 2012 - Anyone seen it yet? Is it any good?

test

ivyfield
08-16-2012, 02:38 PM
It hasn't opened here in the UK yet. I'll see it when I get to LA at the end of the month. Just wondered what the word on the street is about it?
Stoned Love, Steve Weaver.

smark21
08-16-2012, 07:47 PM
It opens tomorrow here in the US. Reviews are starting to come in. Mostly of the mixed variety. Here’s one of them: http://www.avclub.com/articles/sparkle,83926/

Roberta75
08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
It opens tomorrow here in the US. Reviews are starting to come in. Mostly of the mixed variety. Here’s one of them: http://www.avclub.com/articles/sparkle,83926/

I pray the Sparkle reviews are kind to Whitney. Cissy, or Saint Cissy as she's known in New York and New Jersey as, doesn't need any unkind comments about a daughter she loved, missies and is still grieving over.

I intend to see Sparkle over the labor day weekend.

Roberta

ivyfield
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys. Strangely it opened in Jamaica a few days ago. Wonder why? Who knows... I'm looking forward to seeing it with Eric, Scherrie, Lynda & Joyce - and of course the Chinese meal afterwards.

Bokiluis
08-18-2012, 08:04 AM
It hasn't opened here in the UK yet. I'll see it when I get to LA at the end of the month. Just wondered what the word on the street is about it?
Yes, I saw it at the first matinee on opening day. It has been updated to Detroit in the late 60s so they actually mention Diana, Marvin and Mr. Gordy in the dialogue. If you were a fan of the original, they have made some significant changes and updates. Carmen Ejogo, your fellow Brit, nearly steals the movie just like Lonette McKee did in the original. Most reviews have mentioned either The Supremes, Diana and/or Motown. I read most of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Whitney gets mixed but generally good reviews. The music sounds stronger in the movie than it does on the soundtrack. You even hear a good portion of Smokey Robinson and The Miracles' "Special Occasion".
Still, it begs the question, considering the popularity of "Dreamgirls", the musical and the movie, and several other entertainment business movies that there is a real interest in the Motown legacy.....will we ever see a movie about the real "Supremes"?

Penny
08-18-2012, 10:35 AM

I am going to go see Sparkle this week. I hope I don't cry like I did in Dreamgirls.

Penny:[[

nathanj06
08-19-2012, 11:49 AM
CNN Review.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/17/showbiz/movies/sparkle-review-ew/index.html?hpt=en_c2

luke
08-19-2012, 02:17 PM
The article I read mentioned Mary. And the headline of the review said "The Sub-premes."

bradsupremes
08-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Still, it begs the question, considering the popularity of "Dreamgirls", the musical and the movie, and several other entertainment business movies that there is a real interest in the Motown legacy.....will we ever see a movie about the real "Supremes"?

I think "Dreamgirls" is the closest we will get to seeing a movie about the Supremes. "Sparkle" is a movie inspired by the Supremes and the era whereas "Dreamgirls" is the Supremes story with changes so no one would get sued.

For a long time I wanted to see a Supremes movie get made, but I don't think it's really possible now. With the release of "Dreamgirls" and now "Sparkle," is a Supremes movie necessary? I would actually prefer to see a documentary on the group's entire career be made instead. PBS' "American Masters" has done some incredible documentaries on people from all of the arts and I have no doubt they could do the Supremes' story with justice.

In fact, I think we should write to PBS wanting to see an "American Masters" documentary on the Supremes and how all nine ladies are deserving to have their story be told.

Here is the email address:
programming@thirteen.org

You can also write on their feedback page:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/about-the-series/feedback/934/

REDHOT
08-20-2012, 06:52 AM
I saw Sparkle this weekend,and loved it,the girls had more of a 70s Supremes look,[[to me)the actin' was Super,Mike Epps is the one to watch,he stood out in all his scene's,Carmen Eqojo,who played Sister,really played the you know what,out of Sister,Sparkle is gonna make Jordin Sparks a big Star,she' got IT,as far as Whitney goes,she really played the mother,a mother who didn't take no mass,and sound good singing,i'll always love her,R.Kelly did great on the music,i'm gonna see it again LOL,like i said, i loved it
Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
I saw Sparkle this weekend,and loved it,the girls had more of a 70s Supremes look,[[to me)the actin' was Super,Mike Epps is the one to watch,he stood out in all his scene's,Carmen Eqojo,who played Sister,really played the you know what,out of Sister,Sparkle is gonna make Jordin Sparks a big Star,she' got IT,as far as Whitney goes,she really played the mother,a mother who didn't take no mass,and sound good singing,i'll always love her,R.Kelly did great on the music,i'm gonna see it again LOL,like i said, i loved it
Please stay positive

Well a rave review from you dear REDHOT is the only review I need to read. I'll be seeing this movie labor day weekend and based on your wonderful review I can't wait.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

REDHOT
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Thank you Roberta,let us know here what you think about Sparkle,I see it came in at number 5 this week,at the box office,made 12 million,p.s Ivyfield i don't call myself Stoned Love anymore,it's REDHOT LOL
Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Thank you Roberta,let us know here what you think about Sparkle,I see it came in at number 5 this week,at the box office,made 12 million,p.s Ivyfield i don't call myself Stoned Love anymore,it's REDHOT LOL
Please stay positive

12 million dollars is fantastic REDHOT. I will definitely let you know what I think of Sparkle. I'm real excited to see it.

Bless you my dear.

Roberta

stephanie
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
The only reason I am happy about this movie coming out is people will get to see Whitney again and I didnt want Ms Sparks to be one of those American Idols who people forgot about. She is very talented and I didnt want to see her fall through the cracks.

antceleb12
08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I have heard very positive things about Whitney's performance. I'm just glad that her final project was "Sparkle" [[which she had wanted to do for years), and not that disastrous tour after "I Look to You."

Bokiluis
08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
I think "Dreamgirls" is the closest we will get to seeing a movie about the Supremes. "Sparkle" is a movie inspired by the Supremes and the era whereas "Dreamgirls" is the Supremes story with changes so no one would get sued.

For a long time I wanted to see a Supremes movie get made, but I don't think it's really possible now. With the release of "Dreamgirls" and now "Sparkle," is a Supremes movie necessary? I would actually prefer to see a documentary on the group's entire career be made instead. PBS' "American Masters" has done some incredible documentaries on people from all of the arts and I have no doubt they could do the Supremes' story with justice.

In fact, I think we should write to PBS wanting to see an "American Masters" documentary on the Supremes and how all nine ladies are deserving to have their story be told.

Here is the email address:
programming@thirteen.org

You can also write on their feedback page:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/about-the-series/feedback/934/
I think you may be right. It is said that a good movie has to have a strong dramatic core. And the only thing that stands out as dramatic was the transitioning of Florence. But then that what make a one-sided movie, demonizing Diana. I often wondered why there has yet to be a good documentary on either The Supremes or Diana. Besides that cheesy, sensationalistic doc that E! Did a few years ago, there has been no A&E Biography, etc. An American Masters type treatment would be great. I wonder if Diana is blocking such a story since for years Diana had said she was working on her own. But I would much prefer a more objective read.
i guess Berry's proposed "Motown" musical will have to suffice though that probably won't be that deep. Berry has several false starts before so I hope this does finally happen .

smark21
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I saw Sparkle earlier today. I haven’t seen the original so I can’t compare. I liked this version, but I also like melodramatic movies with a show biz setting. The Sister storyline is the most compelling and I wasn’t as interested in Sparkle’s story but then again bad girl characters are almost always more interesting than good girls. Carmen Erjgo [[sp?) stole the show as Sister. Whitney Houston does a fine job as the mother and Jordin Sparks does fine as Sparkle. Some of the plot twists and characters are rather unbelievable and there are story incidents that are so campy and over the top. It’s a very old fashioned story, but entertaining nevertheless. A Christian message is in the film as well, but it doesn’t fit well at times with some of the events that go down so the thematic point of view of the movie is rather convoluted. And there’s really not much of a tie in between the story Sister and her Sisters and the story of The Supremes, other than they are both female singing groups from Detroit in the 1960’s, though Carmen Erjgo does use her eyes as fetchingly in the performance scenes as Diana Ross did during her Supremes days, but that’s it.

reese
08-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I saw the film yesterday, and enjoyed it very much. As someone who saw the original during its initial run, and many times since, I liked that the current film took some liberties with the storyline iand characters nstead of doing a note for note retread. If I hadn't read the novel for the current film, I would have been totally surprised by some of the events. As Smark [[and some reviewers) have pointed out, some of the incidents are rather unbelievable. But on the whole, I think it is a well-done film.

And after weeks of listening to the soundtrack, I actually can accept someone other than Aretha Franklin doing the vocals. Some of the new originals, in particular LOVE WILL, written by R. Kelly, are also very catchy.