PDA

View Full Version : MOTOWN AND jCPENNEY

test

Kamasu_Jr
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Retailer JC PENNEY has been using Motown tunes in its latest ad campaigns for this summer. Mary Wells' My Guy was the tune heard during June. This month, the Motown tune has been Get Ready. However, it's not the classic version featuring Eddie Kendricks but the vocalist sounds familiar. Does anyone know who it is?

Nothing But Soul
08-15-2012, 04:26 PM
According to a post on youtube, the version of "Get Ready" in the JC Penney commercial is by Mayer Hawthorne, which is a pseudonym used by DJ/producer Andrew Cohen. Cohen was born and raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so he has no doubt been exposed to classic Motown music, although he's too young to have actually heard it when it first came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayer_Hawthorne

Kamasu_Jr
08-16-2012, 06:32 PM
According to a post on youtube, the version of "Get Ready" in the JC Penney commercial is by Mayer Hawthorne, which is a pseudonym used by DJ/producer Andrew Cohen. Cohen was born and raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so he has no doubt been exposed to classic Motown music, although he's too young to have actually heard it when it first came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayer_Hawthorne

Thanks. I wondered who the singer was. I wonder why they didn't use the Tempts' recording?

ivyfield
08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Money honey! It's MUCH less expensive to re-record 'clone' a Motown hit than pay the royalties for the original to UMG licensing. Sad but true and [[unfortunately) these days - so far down the years - 'Joe Public' can't differentiate...

Nothing But Soul
08-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I've noticed that the Mayer Hawthorne version of "Get Ready" has shown up this week as a single download available on iTunes, Amazon and emusic. Apparently his version of this song was not on any of his previous albums, and the JC Penney commercial has generated some interest. If nothing else, Smokey Robinson [[who wrote "Get Ready") should be getting some royalties.