PDA

View Full Version : "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love"

test

franjoy56
08-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I recently saw the flip Wilson show where the Supremes perform in the acting skit called "Soul Rent your Wheels" spring summer 1972 jml best Supreme acting skit period., and then it was followed by the single "YOur Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" what a fabulous performance they sang it live, and when the album first came out that song should have been promoted round the clock it was a fabulous song, with lots of jump. Another mistep by the record company. The drama for Jeans exit was building, and Lynda's had just gotten to the ball.

mowest
08-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Not as strong a tune as "Up The Ladder To The Roof" or "Stoned Love" but still an enjoyable stomper. Here's a link to the original version by Kim Weston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ntM8yipuI

Kamasu_Jr
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
The Aspire channel will air that particular episode of the Flip Wilson show this evening. I've got the DVR set. I thought Lynda Laurence showed a real flair for comedy. She was pretty natural.

marv2
08-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I recently saw the flip Wilson show where the Supremes perform in the acting skit called "Soul Rent your Wheels" spring summer 1972 jml best Supreme acting skit period., and then it was followed by the single "YOur Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" what a fabulous performance they sang it live, and when the album first came out that song should have been promoted round the clock it was a fabulous song, with lots of jump. Another mistep by the record company. The drama for Jeans exit was building, and Lynda's had just gotten to the ball.

That is a great song. I liked it from the very first time I heard it somewhere around June, 1972. It was soulful and melodic. The ladies sounded great on that one. Smokey's in the background if you listen closely you hear a male synthersized voice.

smark21
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
When it comes to those comedy skits they did on Flip Wilson, Cindy and Lynda seemed the most comfortable performing. Mary overdoes it, as she often does when there’s a camera around while Jean seems embarrassed and gives off the vibe “I’m a singer, I sing, why do I have to do this corny skit?”

BayouMotownMan
08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
On stage the song was better. But the studio version to me was just so bland and rather unimaginative. I knew it was a mistake, and I felt the same about I Guess I'll Miss The Man and Bad Weather

franjoy56
08-15-2012, 11:33 PM
On stage the song was better. But the studio version to me was just so bland and rather unimaginative. I knew it was a mistake, and I felt the same about I Guess I'll Miss The Man and Bad Weather

The 70's gave the Supremes flexibility whether the records charted high or low [[as they often did) when it came to soul "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love was definetly a soul record peaking at #22 on the r&b charts, and it was joyous the live version done on tv was definelty better than the version done on Sonny & Cher from the record.. "Bad Weather another soul gem dd not do as good, but yet it was a good record that was not pushed. The acting the Supremes did was a welcomed relied since in the late 60's the Supremes only got to act in only one skit on the GIT show. The Flip Wilson Show featured the Suprems on the show three times in its short run. Is the Flip Wilson show shown on the east coast anybody.??? Also check out the supremes doing "Love the one your with" all three take a verse and jean really gets down with the spoken monologue.

marv2
08-16-2012, 12:44 AM
The 70's gave the Supremes flexibility whether the records charted high or low [[as they often did) when it came to soul "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love was definetly a soul record peaking at #22 on the r&b charts, and it was joyous the live version done on tv was definelty better than the version done on Sonny & Cher from the record.. "Bad Weather another soul gem dd not do as good, but yet it was a good record that was not pushed. The acting the Supremes did was a welcomed relied since in the late 60's the Supremes only got to act in only one skit on the GIT show. The Flip Wilson Show featured the Suprems on the show three times in its short run. Is the Flip Wilson show shown on the east coast anybody.??? Also check out the supremes doing "Love the one your with" all three take a verse and jean really gets down with the spoken monologue.

Fran, they use to show Flip Wilson on TV Land here in New York, but I don't think they still run it.

franjoy56
08-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks Marv, at least I am not missing anything, maybe one day i will break down and buy the box set. I think Diahnn Carroll and Lena Horne are on that show as well as the Temptations. I do have the Supremes on all three episodes however.

franjoy56
08-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks Marv, at least I am not missing anything, maybe one day i will break down and buy the box set. I think Diahnn Carroll and Lena Horne are on that show as well as the Temptations. I do have the Supremes on all three episodes however. the flip wilson show is shown in the NYC area on tvone at 10pm. Does anybody know when Kim Weston recorded her version of YWSSL. I had no idea that was not an original song the Supremes did, and it sounds a little more upbeat than Kim's version it takes nothing asway from Kim Weston who is a great singer, and i believe it was released in around 1966 because she left Motown in 1967 or 68..

marv2
08-18-2012, 12:04 AM
the flip wilson show is shown in the NYC area on tvone at 10pm. Does anybody know when Kim Weston recorded her version of YWSSL. I had no idea that was not an original song the Supremes did, and it sounds a little more upbeat than Kim's version it takes nothing asway from Kim Weston who is a great singer, and i believe it was released in around 1966 because she left Motown in 1967 or 68..

The background vocals on Kim's version are not good. Too rough sounding.

bradsupremes
08-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Kim's version was not released in its day. Didn't get released until her Motown Anthology came out a few years ago. Her track was cut in LA whereas the Supremes' version was cut in Detroit. I prefer the Supremes' version. Kim's version would have been better if the track was cut with the Funks in Detroit.

ivyfield
08-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry, for me, Jean's vocals will always be Supreme. No offence to the great KW.

roger
08-19-2012, 04:16 AM
According to the booklet notes for the KIM WESTON "Anthology" C.D. the K.W. version of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet love" was recorded in October 1966, with the track being laid down on 26th Oct 1966 and Kim's vocals added on 27th Oct 1966.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the KIM WESTON version wasn't released until her "Anthology" C.D. came out in 2005.

Roger

rovereab
08-19-2012, 04:27 AM
I think I am in the minority by really liking KW's version of the song in preference to the Supremes version. I think the KW backing track has also aged much better than some other mid 60s Motown songs too.

roger
08-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I think I am in the minority by really liking KW's version of the song in preference to the Supremes version. I think the KW backing track has also aged much better than some other mid 60s Motown songs too.

I've always liked the version by THE SUPREMES but as soon as I heard Kim's version I found I preferred the original. The backing track of Kim's version has so much more "oomph"!!

Roger

franjoy56
08-19-2012, 11:10 PM
I am voting for the Supremes version hands down, it has more get up and go. and nothing compares to Jean's lead.

144man
08-20-2012, 06:39 PM
The great singing of Kim and Jean can't disguise the fact that the song has a weak melody.

stephanie
08-20-2012, 08:01 PM
What ruins the Supremes version [[although I like it)is that mechanical mans voice in the back I think it takes away from the song. As a child I got irritated by it.

smark21
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
It’s interesting that of the 70’s Supremes albums, Floy Joy was the only one to get 3 single releases off the album while their best [[IMO) New Ways but Jean Stays only got one single release.

marv2
08-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Stephanie, that man's voice is Smokey Robinson! I guess he thought he could do a Johnny Bristol type thang. LOL!

marv2
08-20-2012, 11:02 PM
It’s interesting that of the 70’s Supremes albums, Floy Joy was the only one to get 3 single releases off the album while their best [[IMO) New Ways but Jean Stays only got one single release.

"Floy Joy" was a great album. One of their most popular. "Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" was wayyyy before it's time.

jeff9nyc
08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
If my ears aren't playing tricks on me, this version of Kim's YWSSL is different than the one on my Anthology. I like the Anthology version much better. I always felt that the Supremes version was a bit of "Motown Lite"...an LA sounding track that would have benefited by the oomph only the Funk Brothers can provide. I like Kim's Anthology YWSSL backing track better, but no one out sings Jean. No one!
And about "Now the Bitter Now the Sweet"...brilliant! Always one of my favorites!

franjoy56
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
"Floy Joy" was a great album. One of their most popular. "Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" was wayyyy before it's time.
interesting that you mention that track "Now the Bitter Now the Sweet" I played it tonite or it came on my ipod hooked up to my stereo and it is a fabulous track, Jean, on lead Mary & Cindy backing get great input, backed by the Andantes behind them. That is a fabulous track and so is "Over and Over" from the same album I like the solo lines that both Mary and Cindy get, they closed out the JMC era with a great album and I remember wondering what this new girl on the cover would do for the Supremes, uf their hit making ways were behind them ater this one. Who does the adlib da da da da da da is it Cindy or one of the A's.

marv2
08-23-2012, 11:35 PM
interesting that you mention that track "Now the Bitter Now the Sweet" I played it tonite or it came on my ipod hooked up to my stereo and it is a fabulous track, Jean, Mary & Cindy get great input, backed by the Andantes behind them. That is a fabulous track and so is "Over and Over" from the same album I like the solo lines that both Mary and Cindy get, they closed out the JMC era with a great album and I remember wondering what this new girl on the cover would do for the Supremes, uf their hit making ways were behind them ater this one.

"Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" is one of those songs you can just listen over and over [[no pun intended) but "Over and Over" was also a great song. The whole album was great in my opinion.