PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Jean-the last performance

test

luke
08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2x_TGGxV0&feature=relmfu In my opinion this performance is kind of a mess. Jean sounds way off -Mary shines and Lynda ok.

marv2
08-13-2012, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2x_TGGxV0&feature=relmfu In my opinion this performance is kind of a mess. Jean sounds way off -Mary shines and Lynda ok.

The title of this thread made me nervous, hehehehehe...

Jean reminds me of my Grandma in this clip.

BayouMotownMan
08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Though the accompaniment was sparse I thought Jean and Mary sounded great here. Lynda maybe shrieked a bit, was pregnant. Jean either got married right before or right after this performance and then announced her pregnancy. There were a lot of tensions among the three at this point and Mary has written about it. Jean had already announced her departure and agreed to do this performance and the few concert dates that were booked until Mary and Lynda could replace her. As it turned out this was Jean's last performance...ironically at the Ed Sullivan Theatre where she had debuted. A month or so later Lynda informed Motown that she too was leaving, Mary had secured the "talents" of one Pedro Ferrar for group direction and the rest is history

luke
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
They all seemed out of sync to me as well when they tried to sing together. Didnt Mary write they didnt have time to rehearse because Jean and Lynda wouldnt decide on song til last minute?

marv2
08-13-2012, 08:50 PM
It is all very interesting because Jean says she didn't leave. She was replaced involuntarily! LOL!

I also find it interesting that Lynda Laurence could just up and leave in under 2 years time......if she had a contract with Motown. It seems to me that it was very easy for her to just leave like she did. How was she able to get out of her contract? Now if you are to believe Cindy Birdsong, then Lynda did not have a contract.

marv2
08-13-2012, 08:51 PM
They all seemed out of sync to me as well when they tried to sing together. Didnt Mary write they didnt have time to rehearse because Jean and Lynda wouldnt decide on song til last minute?

Yes, that's right. Jean wanted to change the selection at the last minute and Mary said no.

REDHOT
08-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I have been told that The Supremes Mary Jean and Lynda sang another song on that show,if this is true what song was it?also who has The Supremes Mary Jean and Lynda on The Dick Cavette Show?[[on video)they sang 60s hit Medley and Tossin'And Turnin'?I liked Lynda from the start.
Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I have been told that The Supremes Mary Jean and Lynda sang another song on that show,if this is true what song was it?also who has The Supremes Mary Jean and Lynda on The Dick Cavette Show?[[on video)they sang 60s hit Medley and Tossin'And Turnin'?I liked Lynda from the start.
Please stay positive

I also like Lynda Lawrence a lot redhot. A lot of people say real mean things about her but Ms. Lynda was a real Supreme for just under 2 years and nobody can take that away from her. She was also one of the prettiest Supremes IMO.

God bless you REDHOT. ;)

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

luke
08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Yes Marv, Cindy said Lynda was a sub for her.

marv2
08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Yes Marv, Cindy said Lynda was a sub for her.

and that's pretty much all she was.

REDHOT
08-14-2012, 04:41 AM
No Lynda was not a sub,that's what was put out,because they[[company)didn't want it to look like two supremes were leaving the group at that time,it was all politics,and yes Jean left The Supremes,it's just my opinion,i think Jean would have left The Supremes no matter what happen,she was not like Mary Diana or Scherrie,in it for life,Show Business is not for everyone,i think it was too much for Jean,and too much for Florence,just my opinion,
Please stay positive

franjoy56
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
No Lynda was not a sub,that's what was put out,because they[[company)didn't want it to look like two supremes were leaving the group at that time,it was all politics,and yes Jean left The Supremes,it's just my opinion,i think Jean would have left The Supremes no matter what happen,she was not like Mary Diana or Scherrie,in it for life,Show Business is not for everyone,i think it was too much for Jean,and too much for Florence,just my opinion,
Please stay positive

No it was not too much for Florence, nor was it too much for Jean both women were not appreciated in the group for their talents and both were not puppets for the establishment. In Jean's case i beleive had Motown respected the group more while Jean was the lead singer you would have seen her in the group through 1974. She became unhappy according to Mary's book toward the end of their 18 month non stop touring through Dec. 1971. She also declard she would no long sing anything that was given to her accoring to Mary's book as well, and if the Copa was any indication of how unhappy she was the worst was yet to come a year later the Supremes barely spoke to each other, and it seems that Jean and Lynda took the frustration out on Mary. If Motown had got on the great single "Your Wonderful Sweet Love" a great dance record giving it a better chart showing at least top twenty then the dismal #59 showing things probably would have been different. Each release that came after this two more didn't climb past #80. by then the writing was on the wall. Motown should be ashamed of themselves for letting Jean's talent go to waste. Thank godness we have the Terrell solo album "I had to fall in Love" where her talent really shines.

REDHOT
08-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Well i see it different Franjoy,Jean could have went far as a former Supreme,if Jean had worked hard, she really could have made it big as a solo,and the same with Florence,if she wanted to be a solo,and worked hard at it,she would have been Successful also,no Florence could not use the name Supreme to promote herself,and i don't think that was right,don't get me wrong,these ladies could sang,i just wish things could have been different,it's just my opinion,
Please stay positive

BayouMotownMan
08-15-2012, 10:10 AM
The first song the Supremes performed on Model of the Year was Bad Weather and Jean nailed it.

Jean and Lynda were both under contract to Motown. They asked to be let out and a release was negotiated. Motown was so disinterested in the group that they put up no fight

luke
08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
And or they were disinterested in Jean and Lynda per Motown's perception of their attitudes.

Roberta75
08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
The first song the Supremes performed on Model of the Year was Bad Weather and Jean nailed it.

Jean and Lynda were both under contract to Motown. They asked to be let out and a release was negotiated. Motown was so disinterested in the group that they put up no fight

Thank you for confirming that Lynda Lawrence was a true Motown signed Supreme Bayoumotownman.

A few here try minimize or trivialize Lynda's tenure with the Supremes which is just wrong IMO.

Roberta

REDHOT
08-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes Roberta BayouMotownMan knows what he's talking,yes these people will try to trivialize Lynda as a Supreme,but they may not like it,but the same people that try to put her down,knows that Lynda Lawrence was 100% Supreme,when she took Cindy Birdsong's place,i know people try to change History,but you can't,SORRY
Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes Roberta BayouMotownMan knows what he's talking,yes these people will try to trivialize Lynda as a Supreme,but they may not like it,but the same people that try to put her down,knows that Lynda Lawrence was 100% Supreme,when she took Cindy Birdsong's place,i know people try to change History,but you can't,SORRY
Please stay positive

Keep telling the truth REDHOT because you are right. Miss Lynda Lawrence was a Motown signed Supreme, a beautiful Supreme with a great voice. You are right. You cant change history.

Roberta

BayouMotownMan
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
There are a lot of hard feelings for Lynda coming from Mary's camp and her fan base. Mary felt that Lynda desserted her at a time of need with Jean bailing out. Lynda however was pregnant and rightfully suspicious of Pedro Ferrar. She was also intuitive enough to know that the Supremes had seen better days and without a major label behind the group would not make a comeback. I think Jean and Lynda were aligned on this perception and both were more interested in starting families and putting music on the back burner.

Lynda was indeed a solid replacement for Cindy. The rumor started that Lynda was never signed to the label by Mary herself when she attempted to tell her then fan club president to inform the fans via newsletter that, as it turned out, Lynda was only temporarily filling in for Cindy. That fan club president knew the fan base would never buy this and wisely did not print it. But this is where the rumor started. Maybe Cindy herself bought into this.

No artist at Motown could record or perform without a contract. Lynda Laurence was signed to Motown because Motown wanted her. In her short tenure however, Motown's policies had begun to change with emphasis being placed on self-contained artists, like Stevie and Marvin, who turned over bigger profits at smaller costs. The Supremes were an expensive act to maintain. Aside from the glamour image, they were dependent on writers, producers, musicians,arrangers, choreographers, etc. While the group still had a respective devoted fan base, that base all the same was dwindling. Jean is a wise lady, coming from outside Motown. When the group decided to give Motown one more year and move on to another label, Mary agreed and then reversed her decision. ABC/Dunhill, who had just taken over the 4 Tops with great success, was very interested in the group. But the name could not go with them. So Jean reasoned that she gotten all there was to get out of the group and decided to move on. The animosity was there, but these were business differences far more than personal ones. Mary has always maintained that Jean and Lynda were powerful vocalists despite their business differences. Mary was more dismayed at losing Jean than she was when Diana left. She had banked heavily on Jean.

marv2
08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Let me bottomline it for all of you! You may not like what I am going to say, but I don't care because you cannot argue with it. Linda Tucker, aka Lynda Laurence does not command a huge amount of recognition and respect for several reasons. Some of most prominent ones include, but are not limited to these facts. She was in the 4th grouping of Supremes for roughly a year and a half, 40 years ago.

I still don't know if Laurence ever had a contract with Motown or not. Be that as it were, the only reason she was in the Supremes is because Mary Wilson picked her from auditions. Had Mary said that she did not like that one......she would have been gone or worse, she would have never been in the group! This was all decided before Mr. FERRER came into the picture.

She does not appear on any of the hits between 1963-77 [[not even a Top 40 number). She recorded one studio album and one live album released only in Japan. She appears on 2 singles that did not do well. These are all facts. Now the rest of her story that aggitates some people is that she quit the group after making rumblings that maybe the Supremes should leave Motown! That did not score her any points with the Motown establishment. She left the group only to come back years later making more out of her significance to the Supremes story than was actually there. Sandra Tilley of the Velvelettes and Martha Reeves & the Vandellas was more significant in terms of her contributions to Motown overall and she was around a lot longer! I never hear any of you discussing her here at all!

Bottomline, there is no big deal to be made over Lynda Laurence at all! I do not care for her sound and the only and I mean the only recording that she sounded ok on in my opinion is the duet with Harry Nilsson, "Just One Look/Baby I'm Yours" from 1976. Even then she tried to dominate the recording from poor Harry.

floyjoy678
08-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I liked Lynda, she was sexy and had a stage presence that, although I can't put my finger on, reminded me of Flo in a way [[maybe it was the sassiness?). I also always thought Flo, Cindy and Lynda all had a strong resemblance to each other. Lynda's appearance with the group on the Sonny and Cher Show? For years I thought it was Cindy on that one. And so what if she was only in the group for a year and half...so were Susaye and Barbara but that doesn't diminish their roles as Supremes.

And I don't think this appearance by the group is that bad I've seen worse, like that appearance on Mike Douglas in '77 where Mary is front and center and Susaye and Scherrie are literally just silhouettes in the background [[I'm sure Pedro had something to do with that).

Roberta75
08-15-2012, 10:40 PM
There are a lot of hard feelings for Lynda coming from Mary's camp and her fan base. Mary felt that Lynda desserted her at a time of need with Jean bailing out. Lynda however was pregnant and rightfully suspicious of Pedro Ferrar. She was also intuitive enough to know that the Supremes had seen better days and without a major label behind the group would not make a comeback. I think Jean and Lynda were aligned on this perception and both were more interested in starting families and putting music on the back burner.

Lynda was indeed a solid replacement for Cindy. The rumor started that Lynda was never signed to the label by Mary herself when she attempted to tell her then fan club president to inform the fans via newsletter that, as it turned out, Lynda was only temporarily filling in for Cindy. That fan club president knew the fan base would never buy this and wisely did not print it. But this is where the rumor started. Maybe Cindy herself bought into this.

No artist at Motown could record or perform without a contract. Lynda Laurence was signed to Motown because Motown wanted her. In her short tenure however, Motown's policies had begun to change with emphasis being placed on self-contained artists, like Stevie and Marvin, who turned over bigger profits at smaller costs. The Supremes were an expensive act to maintain. Aside from the glamour image, they were dependent on writers, producers, musicians,arrangers, choreographers, etc. While the group still had a respective devoted fan base, that base all the same was dwindling. Jean is a wise lady, coming from outside Motown. When the group decided to give Motown one more year and move on to another label, Mary agreed and then reversed her decision. ABC/Dunhill, who had just taken over the 4 Tops with great success, was very interested in the group. But the name could not go with them. So Jean reasoned that she gotten all there was to get out of the group and decided to move on. The animosity was there, but these were business differences far more than personal ones. Mary has always maintained that Jean and Lynda were powerful vocalists despite their business differences. Mary was more dismayed at losing Jean than she was when Diana left. She had banked heavily on Jean.

Thank you again BayouMotownMan. Your information is always fair, accurate and unbiased.

I've always believed Ms. Lawrence had a contract with Motown so thank you for confirming this.

I have a lot of respect for all Supremes and that includes the lovely and talented Ms. Lynda Lawrence.

Roberta :D

Roberta75
08-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I liked Lynda, she was sexy and had a stage presence that, although I can't put my finger on, reminded me of Flo in a way [[maybe it was the sassiness?). I also always thought Flo, Cindy and Lynda all had a strong resemblance to each other. Lynda's appearance with the group on the Sonny and Cher Show? For years I thought it was Cindy on that one. And so what if she was only in the group for a year and half...so were Susaye and Barbara but that doesn't diminish their roles as Supremes.

And I don't think this appearance by the group is that bad I've seen worse, like that appearance on Mike Douglas in '77 where Mary is front and center and Susaye and Scherrie are literally just silhouettes in the background [[I'm sure Pedro had something to do with that).

I never thought of Lynda Lawrence having Flo's sassiness Frances, but you are right. Like Florence, Lynda does have a stage presence and like Flo she is real sexy and real pretty.

My very best to you,

Roberta

REDHOT
08-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh well everyone has an opinion,i love all The Supremes Mary Florence Diana Barbara Cindy Jean Lynda Scherrie and Susaye,and yes the all sign recording contracts at Motown, the talk was,had Lynda stayed she would have been the new lead singer,now that i don't believe that,maybe co'lead with Mary,but not the main lead singer of The Supremes,again like it,or not you can't change History,
Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh well everyone has an opinion,i love all The Supremes Mary Florence Diana Barbara Cindy Lynda Scherrie and Susaye,and yes the all sign recording contracts at Motown, the talk was,had Lynda stayed she would have been the new lead singer,now that i don't believe that,maybe co'lead with Mary,but not the main lead singer of The Supremes,again like it,or not you can't change History,
Please stay positive

Amen REDHOT. You are the voice of resaon. I also love every Supreme.

Thank you and have a blessed evening.

Roberta

marv2
08-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Oh well everyone has an opinion,i love all The Supremes Mary Florence Diana Barbara Cindy Lynda Scherrie and Susaye,and yes the all sign recording contracts at Motown, the talk was,had Lynda stayed she would have been the new lead singer,now that i don't believe that,maybe co'lead with Mary,but not the main lead singer of The Supremes,again like it,or not you can't change History,
Please stay positive

There is no way in heck Lynda Lawrence was going to be the lead singer of the Supremes! I don't care what she's said or what someone else may have wrote. There are not even any studio recordings by Motown of her singing any leads! I did not even know what she sounded like until 1976 after she had left the group and did that recording with Harry Nilsson!

marv2
08-16-2012, 12:28 AM

Susaye Greene sang several great leads on record and in concert for the Supremes. Her duet with Mary Wilson on "We Should Be Closer Together" is one of the best songs the Supremes ever recorded in my opinion.

Barbara Martin? She was a founding member of the Supremes. She along with the other original three did the hardwork of playing the union halls, record hops and one nighters outside of Detroit and getting paid very little money in order to help establish the group. So there is a very big difference when you try to compare these ladies contributions to that of Lynda Laurence!

franjoy56
08-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Please stay positive

I did not post the quote about Lynda being sassy like Flo it was Floyjoy678, however Lynda's was a Motown Supreme, but when she left all these stories came out about her that weren't pretty, and leaving the Supremes made fans feel like she abandoned ship at the wrong time. Jean Terrell leaving was a different story because she had to carry the weight of the group as lead singer and it hurt her because of all the work she had put into the group since late 69 recording tracks before she made her first appearnce with the group. . however the artistry of the Supremes was one we will cherish from Meet the Supremes to Mary, Scherrie and Susaye.

REDHOT
08-16-2012, 06:42 AM
There's no debate with me,i know the truth,BayouMotownMan is there also,as far as the truth goes,i agree Marv,Mary and Susaye sound great on We Should Be Closer Together,i wish we[[fans)could have got one more album from The Supremes Mary Scherrie and Susaye,now that would have been GREAT LOL
Please stay positive

marybrewster
08-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Didn't the argument of whether Lynda was a "real" Supreme or not get answered with the last 70's Supremes boxed set. Only 9 women can call themselves Supremes. Simple as that. So what if Cindy Birdsong has said that Lynda was a temp? Mary has also said "Someday We'll Be Together" was recorded with Florence and Diana has said that Scherrie Payne joined the group in 1972.

18 minutes, 18 months or 18 years: her contributions to the group will always make her Supreme.

luke
08-16-2012, 09:22 AM
It's kind of silly to give Lynda the same status as Diana Ross in the Supremes. Does Pete Best get that having been in the Beatles-and he was a founding member?!!

skooldem1
08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Give it a damn rest already. Jeesh. Her importance, her contributions or her lack of, does NOT change history. She was a Supreme. Get over it.

Jimi LaLumia
08-16-2012, 10:53 AM
well, FYI, Miss Diana Ross has said, and I have it on video, that Cindy Birdsong wasn't a Supreme, she was a fill in for Florence, that the group was over once Florence was gone.....
and I also have video where Miss Mary Wilson also says that for all intents and purposes, The Supremes was over once Florence was gone...
can the two surviving original Supremes be wrong about their own group?..I DON'T think so..

BayouMotownMan
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I think they were referring to the emotional fallout of Flo's departure. No one at Motown worked without a contract.

marv2
08-16-2012, 03:46 PM
I believe the Supremes [[Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne) worked for more than a year without a contract from Motown.

smark21
08-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I suspect there wouldn’t be such an effort to marginalize Lynda Lawrence’s status as a Supreme if she had turned down the ill fated Return to Love tour.

BayouMotownMan
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Mary Wilson was still under contract to Motown during the period 1973-late 1974 when the Supremes were inactive in the recording studio. If I recall, Cindy still had a performance contract with Motown in case she was needed as a replacement. Scherrie however did not have a contract with Motown until late 1974. They were in essence a road act for over a year until Motown felt they had stabilized and could work a release for Scherrie from the Holland's Invictus label. I might add, the main reason Motown showed ANY interest in a new grouping of Supremes was 1) a massive fan club write in to BG demanding product on this grouping and 2) Glorious reviews being generated by Scherrie from previous critics who had panned the JML combo. Mary was getting better notices as well but by far Scherrie Payne would get a good mention even if the group was put down in a review. There was no denying her powerful vocals and stage presence.

marv2
08-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Look! No she was not! Mary nor Cindy or Scherrie were under contract to Motown in 1974. Ask Abner, oh you can't because he is gone. Ask Mary. They were re-signed to the company in 1975!
In fact, Cindy Birdsong was under contract to the company through to the end of 1977. Which means that she was still under contract the whole time Lynda Laurence stepped in for her! Her contract even extended passed being dismissed by Pedro. I am not going to say anymore about this from this point! hehehehehehe..........

captainjames
08-17-2012, 08:12 AM
That performance was horrific, I wonder what song Jean wanted to sing. It is clearly evident that Lynda was now the sexy Supreme.

Roberta75
08-17-2012, 12:09 PM
That performance was horrific, I wonder what song Jean wanted to sing. It is clearly evident that Lynda was now the sexy Supreme.

Lynda Lawrence was a beautiful Supreme and still looks very pretty today. I saw Ms. Lawrence at Burbank airport a couple years ago during the Christmas holidays. She was wearing a real pretty fur coat and the most beautiful fur lined boots I have ever seen. I approached her and told her how much I loved the Supremes and she was gracious, classy and real, real sweet.

Yours, with every good wish.;)

Roberta

carole cucumber
08-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Here's what Mary actually wrote : " Weeks ago I asked you and Lynda what songs you wanted to do for this show, and all I got in reply were blank stares." "Since we had no new single to promote, we ended up singing 'Touch' and Bad Weather'."

Nothing was written about Jean and Lynda deciding on a song at the last minute nor of rehearsing for the performance other than at the old Ed Sullivan Theater on the day of taping.

carole cucumber
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes, that's right. Jean wanted to change the selection at the last minute and Mary said no.

Again, according to Mary, that's not exactly true

"As we stood separately in the theater waiting to rehearse, Jean turned to our road manager and snapped 'I'm going to sing my solo.' When he told me of Jean's remark, I was furious and stormed over to them . 'No', I replied, 'That's not possible.'

Mary never clearly states whether Jean wanted to add a solo number along with the other 2 songs or to replace one of the songs they were going to sing as a group. To assume that Jean wanted to change one of the selections is something we are unable to do. Mary's quote doesn't support either option more than the other.

marv2
08-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Again, according to Mary, that's not exactly true

"As we stood separately in the theater waiting to rehearse, Jean turned to our road manager and snapped 'I'm going to sing my solo.' When he told me of Jean's remark, I was furious and stormed over to them . 'No', I replied, 'That's not possible.'

Mary never clearly states whether Jean wanted to add a solo number along with the other 2 songs or to replace one of the songs they were going to sing as a group. To assume that Jean wanted to change one of the selections is something we are unable to do. Mary's quote doesn't support either option more than the other.

By Jean wanting to do a solo at the last minute is what I meant by want to change the selection of songs m i.e. "Touch" and "Bad Weather". It is true! How in hell you think a national televised program is going to allow the Supremes to do 3 songs when it was planned that they would do 2? One of the songs would have to be dropped in order for Jean to get her solo. Understand?

carole cucumber
08-17-2012, 06:06 PM
By Jean wanting to do a solo at the last minute is what I meant by want to change the selection of songs m i.e. "Touch" and "Bad Weather". It is true! How in hell you think a national televised program is going to allow the Supremes to do 3 songs when it was planned that they would do 2? One of the songs would have to be dropped in order for Jean to get her solo. Understand?

Oh I DO understand quite well. You never mention the word 'solo' in the response you posted [[that I quoted). If you had MEANT that Jean wanted to do a solo, you would have SAID so at that time. You are very precise in what you post. But here you posted in response to Luke, offering support.
Remember Luke first said that Jean sounds way off- Mary shines and Lynda ok.
If Luke had voiced the opinion that MARY was way off and Jean and Lynda shined, one could only imagine what your response might have been.
As it is, we are all able to voice our opinions and to differ in them; this is acceptable.
But to later try to twist words to make oneself look better when one has not remembered things exactly as they were or has not checked the source is not so easy to do on a public forum such as this. This is not acceptable.

marv2
08-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Oh I DO understand quite well. You never mention the word 'solo' in the response you posted [[that I quoted). If you had MEANT that Jean wanted to do a solo, you would have SAID so at that time

No, this is what I mean. You are taking this shit way too seriously.

midnight johnny
08-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Carole....you always impress me!

Roberta75
08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Carole....you always impress me!

Me too and she does it with class and grace.

Roberta

franjoy56
08-17-2012, 11:17 PM
I guess like Katherine of the Marvelettes said I had hell on my hands, it seems Mary had hell on her hands too, dealing with all of these personalities, at least Mary was putting her foot down. Unfortunately, Mary would face another duo meltdown when Scherrie and Susaye had a post 1977 meltdown about the end of the Supremes.

franjoy56
08-17-2012, 11:20 PM
and the Soul Magazine ran the article "Two More Supremes Tell Their stories" which Scherrie and Susaye talks about the meltdown and Mary followed with her story in the following issue.

marv2
08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
I guess like Katherine of the Marvelettes said I had hell on my hands, it seems Mary had hell on her hands too, dealing with all of these personalities, at least Mary was putting her foot down. Unfortunately, Mary would face another duo meltdown when Scherrie and Susaye had a post 1977 meltdown about the end of the Supremes.

Ain't that the truth! Mary deserves a gold plaque for even having to deal with these women!

carole cucumber
08-18-2012, 06:30 AM
No, this is what I mean. You are taking this shit way too seriously.

I'm taking this @#*% way too seriously. [[And I prefer the term 'thread' in place of your choice of noun)

Let's look at the evidence:

Marv2- 12 posts

Carole Cucumber- 4 posts

The evidence demonstrates that I am not the one who is taking this thread WAY TOO serious. In fact, the evidence shows exactly that it is not me at all, but the one poster with triple the number of my posts who must be taking this thread way too seriously.

carole cucumber
08-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Ain't that the truth! Mary deserves a gold plaque for even having to deal with these women!

Amazingly, Marv, I have to agree with that statement.
But I also know that Susaye deserve a gold plaque as well for having to deal with Scherrie & Mary during their moods/ moments or when they did not see eye to eye. The same may be said for Scherrie, Lynda, Jean, Cindy, Flo, Diana & Barbara, each of these fine ladies in her participation as a Supreme.
None of us, myself included, is perfect. In fact none of us is really better than anyone else.
Oh, we may excel in comparison to some others in certain areas, but there are others who even surpass our skills/talents in that area. And none of us is endowed with every gift/talent. We have have been made in a fashion that behooves us to grow in relationship.
What makes life bearable is compassion, forgiveness, trying to put ourselves into another's shoes, working to achieve harmony and acceptance.
These are what we ought to be looking at in discussing The Supremes, not ways to divide or disparage.
Ask Miss Cindy Birdsong.. she's a preacher , isn't she?

Penny
08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
These Supreme women had differences years ago. Evidence seems to support that they are over all of that and have moved on with their lives. Yet some fans seem to want to continue the fight 40 years later. I would suggest it is time to let it go.

It is about the music and I listen to it everyday. I love Motown.

Penny:D

Roberta75
08-18-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm taking this @#*% way too seriously. [[And I prefer the term 'thread' in place of your choice of noun)

Let's look at the evidence:

Marv2- 12 posts

Carole Cucumber- 4 posts

The evidence demonstrates that I am not the one who is taking this thread WAY TOO serious. In fact, the evidence shows exactly that it is not me at all, but the one poster with triple the number of my posts who must be taking this thread way too seriously.

If I may be so bold as to offer you some advice dear Carole. marv2 drags every thread down with his negativity and unhappiness. He can never be objective or see someone else's viewpoint. He attacks all who disagree with him which is why I have him on ignore. I would place him on ignore if i were you.

On a more positive note, I do enjoy your articulate, fair, balanced, thought provoking postings. You are a delight and a breath of fresh air.

My best personal regards to you.

Roberta

Roberta75
08-18-2012, 11:58 AM
These Supreme women had differences years ago. Evidence seems to support that they are over all of that and have moved on with their lives. Yet some fans seem to want to continue the fight 40 years later. I would suggest it is time to let it go.

It is about the music and I listen to it everyday. I love Motown.

Penny:D

God bless you dear Penny.

Have a beautiful and blessed weekend my friend.

Roberta

marv2
08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
If I may be so bold as to offer you some advice dear Carole. marv2 drags every thread down with his negativity and unhappiness. He can never be objective or see someone else's viewpoint. He attacks all who disagree with him which is why I have him on ignore. I would place him on ignore if i were you.

On a more positive note, I do enjoy your articulate, fair, balanced, thought provoking postings. You are a delight and a breath of fresh air.

My best personal regards to you.

Roberta

Nah, you just have a problem with anyone that disagree's with you, which is rare since you rarely ever contribute anything to these forums other than Bible verses.

johnny_raven
08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Ugh ... Roberta, how do I "ignore" someone?

Roberta75
08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Ugh ... Roberta, how do I "ignore" someone?

Click on the persons name and then click "view profile" and then click the "add to ignore" link."

Best to you Johnny-raven.

Roberta

johnny_raven
08-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks, Roberta ... I've had enough of Tony Turner's, uh, I mean Marv's crap!

marv2
08-18-2012, 08:49 PM

I don't even know who you are, but I've had enough of you already and I've never read your posts before. LOL!

Roberta75
08-19-2012, 04:13 PM

You'll find this forum a much more enjoyable place when you place the said person on ignore johnny_raven.

Have a blessed and beautiful Sunday.

Roberta

captainjames
08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
LOL I will agree with Roberta
I am so much happier being on SDF with him on ignore.
Carole I did love the way you pointed out and put things in perspective.