PDA

View Full Version : A hatchet is buried after 30+ years......

test

marybrewster
08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Before I proceed, let me for warn you this has very little to do with Motown, but I thought it worth posting and sharing. I will let Ralph decide if it is appropriate enough to stay. If it's deleted, I respect that.

I am posting this to show that there is hope of burying a hatchet, even after 30+ years. I have followed these two ladies for ages, and cannot believe I missed hearing about this.

In case you missed it, Joyce DeWitt and Suzanne Sommers [[from tv's "Three's Company") have been fighting for DECADES; their feud is legendary in Hollywood.

I am not here to pick sides or to start a war; only to show that there hope for forgiveness, even after years and years of pain, from both sides.

I can think of two other legendary ladies that could learn a lesson from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2NtZrSW8E

By the way, this interview is in several parts; I am just posting the first.

ralpht
08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I have no problem with this post, Mary. I wasn't aware there was animosity between these two talented women. I'm sure we wish them all the best.

BayouMotownMan
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I saw this reunion show, it was touching. I think the problems stemmed from not understanding each other's needs at the time Suzanne was holding the show hostage. In my opinion Joyce never needed to apologize, Somers does

Kamasu_Jr
08-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Three's Company. I never liked the show and still don't. But I saw some of this reunion on cable. I have no problem with the posting but the Clubhouse would have been better, because it does not mean there will be a Supremes reunion just because it's here. Y'all need to give that dream up.

jillfoster
08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Three's Company. I never liked the show and still don't. But I saw some of this reunion on cable. I have no problem with the posting but the Clubhouse would have been better, because it does not mean there will be a Supremes reunion just because it's here. Y'all need to give that dream up.

I'm sure 30 years ago, you would have never thought we'd have a black president, either. Anything can happen.

Ngroove
08-14-2012, 01:41 AM
All I can say about this, which I hope this is enough:

...GROOVY!

ivyfield
08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Guys, my personal motto is never say never. I'm a very optimistic guy. However, I really do think that "the train left the station" many years ago as far as Diana Ross & Mary Wilson's 'friendship' is concerned. Maybe things would have been different if Wilson's books hadn't come out. Who knows? None of us ever will. Still, we have all the music/videos [[YouTube etc.) and the great thing about the web is that retro Supremes stuff is being added constantly. Keep it coming! Stoned Love, Steve.

jillfoster
08-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Guys, my personal motto is never say never. I'm a very optimistic guy. However, I really do think that "the train left the station" many years ago as far as Diana Ross & Mary Wilson's 'friendship' is concerned. Maybe things would have been different if Wilson's books hadn't come out. Who knows? None of us ever will. Still, we have all the music/videos [[YouTube etc.) and the great thing about the web is that retro Supremes stuff is being added constantly. Keep it coming! Stoned Love, Steve.

Your'e gonna see alot of emotion and regret when one of them is lying in a coffin... you mark my words.

Kamasu_Jr
08-14-2012, 01:24 PM

I agree. And a black president has nothing to do with Diana Ross' & Mary Wilson's relationship that is no more, but I agree, the death of one will probably rock the other and cause regret and teeth gnashing.

stephanie
08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Marybrewster
I saw this on youtube and yes I thought about Mary and Diana! I always thought Joyce was living off of her disdain with what happened when I would turn on the tv and see her talking about this but people kept wanting to do interviews with her. Suzanne and John and Joyce had a great chemistry and I am glad they have buried the hachet.

ivyfield
08-15-2012, 04:32 PM
'If only'... now there's a powerful couple of words combined. ♥Steve.

marv2
08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Your'e gonna see alot of emotion and regret when one of them is lying in a coffin... you mark my words.

Sad, but true.......

jobeterob
08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I think Diana and Mary buried the hatchet long before Joyce and Suzanne.
As Mary recently said, she moved on, Diana has her life and Mary has hers.

But the fans desire for more has not died and is unrequited.

I see Life Magazine has special editions on 50 years of the Beach Boys, Rolling Stones and Beatles. And of course, no Supremes. Basically, because their legacy became that of Diana Ross and the group is now regarded as part of her total legacy.

jillfoster
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM

I see Life Magazine has special editions on 50 years of the Beach Boys, Rolling Stones and Beatles. And of course, no Supremes. Basically, because their legacy became that of Diana Ross and the group is now regarded as part of her total legacy.

It's because they are :

1: Women

2: Didn't write their own songs.

They will never get the same level of respect because of those two factors. The Beatles legacy didn't cease to exist because of "Photogaph", "Imagine", "My Sweet Lord", and "Band On The Run".

marv2
08-16-2012, 07:02 PM

That oversight has nothing to do with Diana Ross absorbing the Supremes legacy. In fact, it is the other way around which is why her tour failed and why she now sings full versions of the Supremes songs [[just like Mary Wilson does....) in her act! She is a part of the Supremes legacy, not the other way around. Don't get it confused. Truthfully, the Diana Ross solo career fizzled out a very long time ago, while the Supremes legacy endures!

marv2
08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
It's because they are :

1: Women

2: Didn't write their own songs.

They will never get the same level of respect because of those two factors. The Beatles legacy didn't cease to exist because of "Photogaph", "Imagine", "My Sweet Lord", and "Band On The Run".

I read where the Supremes only made it to 97 on Rolling Stones 100 greatest artists list.

smark21
08-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Another contributing factor could be Gordy and Motown pushing the Supremes to do the nightclub/Vegas circuit and doing a show tune and rushed medley type act. The move made money but may have damaged their long term legacy.

marv2
08-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Another contributing factor could be Gordy and Motown pushing the Supremes to do the nightclub/Vegas circuit and doing a show tune and rushed medley type act. The move made money but may have damaged their long term legacy.

I agre with part of what you said. I would agree wholeheartedly if not for the fact that Elvis Presley also branched; even doing all those corny movies in the 60's and Vegas big time in the 70's!

soulster
08-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I knew Suzanne Somers wasn't the most favorite person on the show when her husband Alan Hamel, best known for being the T.V. spokesman for the So. California Alpha Beta grocery chain, influenced her to demand more money from ABC while she was on the show, but I wasn't aware of any feud between she and her co-workers. If a feud between she and Joyce DeWitt is such a Hollywood legend, why have we never heard about it? That was my favorite show in the late 70s, so I think I would have read something about it at some point.

smark21
08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I knew Suzanne Somers wasn't the most favorite person on the show when her husband Alan Hamel, best known for being the T.V. spokesman for the So. California Alpha Beta grocery chain, influenced her to demand more money from ABC while she was on the show, but I wasn't aware of any feud between she and her co-workers. If a feud between she and Joyce DeWitt is such a Hollywood legend, why have we never heard about it? That was my favorite show in the late 70s, so I think I would have read something about it at some point.

Joyce De Witt has given numerous interviews over the years expressing anger and bitterness toward Suzanne Somers for the contract dispute as well as Somers telling lies about she and John Ritter reconciled right before Ritter died. The animosity between the two has been well documented. Theirs is a famous feud in TV Land.

ivyfield
08-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Totally agree.

countess caracas
08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Before I proceed, let me for warn you this has very little to do with Motown, but I thought it worth posting and sharing. I will let Ralph decide if it is appropriate enough to stay. If it's deleted, I respect that.

I am posting this to show that there is hope of burying a hatchet, even after 30+ years. I have followed these two ladies for ages, and cannot believe I missed hearing about this.

In case you missed it, Joyce DeWitt and Suzanne Sommers [[from tv's "Three's Company") have been fighting for DECADES; their feud is legendary in Hollywood.

I am not here to pick sides or to start a war; only to show that there hope for forgiveness, even after years and years of pain, from both sides.

I can think of two other legendary ladies that could learn a lesson from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2NtZrSW8E

By the way, this interview is in several parts; I am just posting the first. So So true my dear.

countess caracas
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
So So True! It's never too late.

soulster
08-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Do we know for a fact that Somers lied about a reconciliation between she and John Ritter?

marybrewster
08-21-2012, 09:02 AM

I think most have heard of it. To get you up to speed, might I suggest:

E! True Hollywood Story: Three's Company [[tv series)
Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Three's Company [[tv movie)
Come and Knock on our Door: A Hers and Hers and His Guide to Three's Company [[book; Christopher mann, author)
Keeping Secrets [[book; Suzanne Somers, author)
After the Fall: How I Picked Myself Up, Dusted Myself Off, and Started All Over Again [[book; Suzanne Somers)

I'm sure there are many more sources; these are just off the top of my head.

revvy
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
The thing of it is, Diana and Mary should have had this type of meeting long before the business negotiations for Return to Love began. When it was discovered that Diana wouldn't even meet with Mary and Cindy to discuss the tour plans, I had a feeling it would bomb. Nobody came out of this mess in an good light. Diana came off as a greedy megalomaniac, Mary came off as victimized, Scherrie and Lynda came off as scabs. Ugly all around. Shame, because the tour could have been EXPLOSIVE. I would have been OK having the other Supremes on the show, so long as they sang just the 70s hits and had Diana, Mary and Cindy do all the 60's gems.