PDA

View Full Version : T-Boy Ross - Changes will be released on CD August 15, 2012

test

Reflections79
08-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Arthur "T-Boy" Ross [[January 1, 1949 - April 22, 1996) was a singer and songwriter most notable for his collaborations with Leon Ware and for being the younger brother of American R&B singer Diana Ross.

Born in Detroit, Michigan, Arthur hung around rougher sections of Detroit while his elder sister went on to fame as lead singer of The Supremes in the 1960s and later solo fame in 1970s. Around the time his sister had established herself, she recruited him to Motown as an appointed songwriter in 1972. Ross hooked up with songwriter Leon Ware and together the duo wrote hits for acts such as Michael Jackson, The Miracles and Marvin Gaye. Among the hits included "I Wanna Be Where You Are" and "I Want You". His works with Leon Ware continues to be covered. "I Want You" has been covered by Robert Palmer, Madonna, Michael McDonald, and Diana Ross on I Love You.

Ross was considered hard to deal with when high on drugs and alcohol. His tough exterior made him a difficulty amongst the control booth and led to his fall out with Ware during an argument with Ware and Gaye during recording sessions for his I Want You album. Ross later left and in 1979 set on becoming a singer releasing his first album for Motown in 1979.

Despite help from artists like Joe Sample, Changes failed to generate success and Ross, fed up with the business, retired from music in the early 1980s where he lived in seclusion away from family members including his famous sister.

Changes meanwhile became a much sought album by Funk/Soul fans all around the world.

PTG Records now finally has remastered the album and made it available on CD.

01.I Want You 5:10
02.I’m In Between Changes 3:08
03.She’s My Lover 4:53
04.Somebody’s Sneaking And Peeking 3:43
05.Forever Is As Long As It Lasts 3:52
06.Slow Down 3:02
07.Smile And Be Beautiful 3:41
08.To The Baby 3:18

R. Mark Desjardins
08-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I found a sealed vinyl copy of this recording on my first visit to L.A. in September, 1979 at a small hole in the wall record shop just across the street from the Hollywood High School for 99 cents. There were copies of several Motown Vaults vinyl records on the Natural Resources label there as well for $1.99. The Motown Record offices were located nearby on Sunset Blvd, and no doubt cutout material made its way there. What a treasure trove for a Motown fan from Canada, where these recordings never were released.
I remember being intrigued by the cover and I suspected there may have been a connection to Diana, but no mention was made on the jacket. Sure glad I snapped up one of the several copies. To my ears, T-Boy's voice is somewhat thin, and on his version of "I Want You," the female chorus seems to take over mid song. However, he was a great songwriter and should be remembered as such.

Kamasu_Jr
08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
We have the vinyl album and after one listen, I was disappointed.

woodward
08-14-2012, 08:43 AM

He still was part of the Motown family of artists.

I note that the price on Amazon for this CD is $22.79 plus S/H which I think is a big high for an 8 track CD. If anyone learns of its being available for a more reasonable price please let the rest of us know. BTW, the official release date as per Amazon is now August 21, 2012.

ivyfield
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Can't understand why this gets the CD release when 'Partners' is still only available on vinyl. Nothing against the late T.Boy, just sayin'...

johnny_raven
08-14-2012, 11:59 AM
All in due time, Ivy.

Bokiluis
08-22-2012, 06:49 AM
I had/have the vinyl of T-Boy's debut and confess to never listening. However, I did decide to order the CD. On the strength of the family association with Diana, and the fact that he co-wrote and covers "I Want You", and Diana covered it and it became a #1 R&B single and album for Marvin, along with hitting the Hot 100 Top 15 and Madonna covered it, gives it a little more gravitas to be released. That said, I just got an email from Amazon that it is being delayed.

smark21
08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I had/have the vinyl of T-Boy's debut and confess to never listening. However, I did decide to order the CD. On the strength of the family association with Diana, and the fact that he co-wrote and covers "I Want You", and Diana covered it and it became a #1 R&B single and album for Marvin, along with hitting the Hot 100 Top 15 and Madonna covered it, gives it a little more gravitas to be released. That said, I just got an email from Amazon that it is being delayed.

But Bokiluis, do you like the song I Want You? If so, what is it about the song you like?