PDA

View Full Version : Barbara McNair: Racist attack on her in 63

test

jsmith
09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Its hard for most of us Brits to get our heads around the level of racism that still existed in the US in the 1960's [[yes I know we still have our BNP neanderthals here but they are all brain dead morons + we had the skinheads in the 70's who hated blacks whilst dancing every night to reggae music)
..... but in parts of the US it seemed to be much more common ...
... AND ... seemingly minor things could kick it off ........

It amazes me that in 1963, a white actor kissing a black actress in a play would provoke hate mail & threatening phone calls.

On a related issue, I know there were many places where integration was resisted by state politicians / officials right up until the late 50's ..... but where was the geographic line below which things got tough.

I know it was bad in the south but with regard to integration where did the south begin ??
It is stated that, by 1955, segregation had just about disappeared from Washington DC area hotels, theatres & restaurants .... yet I just read that the Baltimore Hotel Association only announced an end to segregation in local hotels in summer 1957 [[& even then some hotels would not allow large parties of blacks to book in).

So did "the southern mentality" still exist in many northern areas of the US as 1960 approached ??
I guess it was music by the likes of the Motown acts that helped to finally bring the barriers down.

MissLish
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I visited the South in 1997 and was refused service in one off-the-beaten-trail restaurant. The state was Alabama. Yes, 1997! In May 0f 2010, while a guest at Robert DeNiro's hotel in Tribeca, DeNiro who is married to an African-American woman, I was refused service in the private terrace area. Yes, New York city! Yes, 2010!

Livingallalone
09-16-2010, 05:14 PM
In 1968 Petula Clark had a special with Harry Belafonte, and I will let WikIpedka tell u the reast-

1968, NBC-TV [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC-TV) invited Clark to host her own special in the U.S., and in doing so she inadvertently made television history. While singing a duet of "On the Path of Glory," an anti-war song that she had composed, with guest Harry Belafonte [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Belafonte), she touched his arm, to the dismay of a representative from the Chrysler [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler) Corp., the show's sponsor, who feared that the moment would incur the racist bigotry of Southern viewers. When he insisted that they substitute a different take, with Clark and Belafonte standing well away from one another, Clark and her husband Wolff the producer of the show refused, destroyed all other takes of the song and delivered the finished program to NBC with the touch intact. The program aired on April 8, 1968, with high ratings and critical acclaim

topdiva1
09-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Diahann Carroll who this part was orginally written for - stated in her book "THE LEGS ARE THE LAST TO GO", published last year - that this part caused her all kinds of racial hatred - Ms. Carroll continued on to say that when she starred in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Sunset Blv, a few years ago as silent screen diva Norma Desmond, she had many problems with Webber - who stated that their where no BLACKS in silent films - Ms. Carroll quickly reminded him that thieir was no NORMA DESMOND either.

You better read him Ms. Diahann Carroll

captainjames
09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
MissLish, I truly got and understood what you were saying. It is truly evident and active in 2010 just more steamed milk and carmel sauce but the taste and feel is still bitter.

topdiva1
09-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I visited the South in 1997 and was refused service in one off-the-beaten-trail restaurant. The state was Alabama. Yes, 1997! In May 0f 2010, while a guest at Robert DeNiro's hotel in Tribeca, DeNiro who is married to an African-American woman, I was refused service in the private terrace area. Yes, New York city! Yes, 2010!

Misslish - I am not surprised that this happened to you - I am surprised that people feel this type of situation does not happen. If that had of been me at DeNiro's Hotel - I would have turned the "Private Terrace" out and made the news.

Thank you for sharing what is not a shocking story - these situations are alive and well in 2010 - and sadly, surely will rage on unless stopped at every appearance. I do not suffer fools lightly.

MissLish
09-17-2010, 02:14 PM
LMAO @ taking the terrace out. Oh trust and believe, Miss Lish performed! When they inquired about Miss Lish's status as a guest there, she responded, "No! I am here to perform a drive-by!" Maybe I should have. LOL! Just know that it has been escalated and the circumstances are being looked into. In my old age, I have zero tolerance for this type of behavior. Although the law lays the burden of proof on those who have been victimized, there are legal avenues from which resolution can be pursued. Even if one is unsuccessful in claiming victory, it is fun [[and worthwhile) to fcuk with the motherfcukers.

On another note, is it just me, or have things generally gotten worse with the election of the first African-American president. I am sensing that those who were experiencing "white guilt" prior to the election, now feel we are all on an even playing field. Sadly, if one was to act upon all the incidences when racism rears its ugly head, one would have little time for any other pursuits. Only yesterday, at an upscale restaurant in Denver..Well, I'll save that story for another time. If I shared all of the stories we would all be here for a duration.

It is sad, truly pathetic that this shit still goes on and is so prevalent.

topdiva1
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Misslish - you better work - I know you performed - as you should of.

captainjames
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Misslish I am not sure if things have gotten worse or more mental. There are so many mental wrecks tried nowadays that it becomes painful. Speaking of "No Strings" wasn't this suppose to be made in a movie at one time for a project with Diana Ross ?

robbert
09-17-2010, 08:48 PM
@ jsmith
You really didn't know? This Dutchman was aware of the situation in the USA since he was about 12, 13 y/o [[± 1962). My history teacher in high school made me aware of things. What were the UK schoolbooks about then in those days???

Never mind where that 'line' in the USA was drawn... like the Berlin Wall or the current Wall between Israel and Palestina, there never shouldn't have been no line there in the first place.

But... as a native Dutchman, I have to admit that my white European ancestors fared not very much better, as The Netherlands were the LAST of the western countries to abolish slavery and slave trade, in 1863. The UK did so in 1833, France did in 1848.
And then again, the Indonesian islands were a Dutch colony until 1949! And the then Dutch government struck down the freedom movement over there with brute violence!

The USA, being a relatively new country in the history of mankind, had to pass that phase, too, but it took 'em considerable time to do so.

topdiva1
09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Misslish I am not sure if things have gotten worse or more mental. There are so many mental wrecks tried nowadays that it becomes painful. Speaking of "No Strings" wasn't this suppose to be made in a movie at one time for a project with Diana Ross ?

You sure know your Motown - No Strings was looked at as a project for Miss Ross post Supremes - but Lady Sings The Blues won out.