PDA

View Full Version : Link To Listen To The Sparkle Soundtrack

test

juicefree20
08-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Here's a link where you can listen to the "Sparkle" soundtrack...

http://music.msn.com/music/listeningbooth/

soulster
08-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Not bad. I don't know if i'll buy it, though.

reese
08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
I bought it yesterday.

I wasn't too impressed with the remakes of songs from the original film, like SOMETHING HE CAN FEEL and HOOKED ON YOUR LOVE. But I really like the songs that R. Kelly produced, like ONE WING and CELEBRATE.

Kamasu_Jr
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Not bad. I don't know if i'll buy it, though.

I bought a copy for $5.00.

juicefree20
08-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Personally, this is going to be a tough one because this soundtrack has one hell of a tough act to follow.

Another thing which makes this tough is the fact that while often the music in these movies try to capture the times which the movies represent, very often it simply doesn't capture the spirit & essence of those times.

It's kinda like the saying "you can't fake the funk". While you can attempt to replicate a specific time & place, it simply comes down to the fact that the spirit & energy of THAT particular time & place is just that...

It belongs to that particular time & place. For me, it's similar to trying to feel for a coin at the bottom of a sink while wearing a Playtex glove. You can feel an object, but you can't quite feel the texture[[s) of it. It's a detachment, a sort of disconnect involved which makes it feel a little less real.

That's how most of these soundtracks feel to me. They're trying to capture a time & sound of a period that I grew up with & the attempt usually doesn't ring true to me. It feels somewhat synthetic & it feels quite obvious that they're TRYING to emulate something that while having heard or read of it, the lack of actually having EXPERIENCED it makes it feel somewhat like stew without the meat & potatoes added.

I hope that everyone understands what I'm trying to say.

Which means that more likely than not, the songs which will really ring truest to me will be the songs that Whitney sings.

Perhaps I'll feel otherwise, but not presently.

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Juice, I agree on some points. But the 2012 Sparkle soundtrack was actually better than I expected it to be. Sure, it all sounds technically superior to 1960s soul, but it's got the spirit or manages to pay homage to the sound. There's some great music on here from Cee- Lo's I'm A Man to Running, a Motownesque ditty that recalls the best of Martha Reeves and Diana Ross.
The one thing I noticed was that the lead
singer on Something He Can Feel, Jump and Hooked on Your Love - three songs from the original film- sounded a lot like Lonette Mckee.
Whitney Houston's Eye Is on the Sparrow is bittersweet because I couldn't help thinking it was the best she could do at the time and what she might have done had it been recorded 25 years earlier.