View Full Version : Lynda, Mary and Cindy: Stoned Love live

test

smark21
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PXu-EwoUkM&feature=related

Roberta75
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PXu-EwoUkM&feature=related

What a great version. I think Lynda Lawrence sounds real good on this and judging from the audience reaction so does everyone who attended this concert.

Linda Lawrence was one of the best looking ladies in the Supremes IMO.

Thank you for posting this gem smark21.

Fondly,

Roberta

marv2
07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't care for this version at all.

marybrewster
08-01-2012, 08:38 AM
One of the best versions of this song, outside of Jean's original. Makes me believe Lynda should have gotten a few more leads.

I could be getting my wires crossed, but wasn't this one of Lynda's first performances? Or first times singing lead? It seems to me that she had a very short amount of time to learn the lyrics; if that's the case, as you can see she pulled it off like a pro.

milven
08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
One of the best versions of this song, outside of Jean's original. Makes me believe Lynda should have gotten a few more leads.

I could be getting my wires crossed, but wasn't this one of Lynda's first performances? Or first times singing lead? It seems to me that she had a very short amount of time to learn the lyrics; if that's the case, as you can see she pulled it off like a pro.

Lynda gets a lot of bashing as an ex-Supreme from Supreme fans. I remember some of your old posts ;) and I also remember your classy mea culpa turn around :)

Yes, you are right. She was very new to the line-up and when Jean got sick in Hawaii, Lynda had to step in and do the leads. It must have been stressful enough to step in for the beloved Cindy, but then to unexpectedly be called to lead the group must have been difficult for her. She pulled it off. I saw this line-up in NYC. In all my excitement of seeing a Supreme performance, at first I did not even notice Jean's absence. I was in shock to see Cindy back in the line-up and expectant. After I got over the shock, I noticed that it wasn't Jean singing the lead, but it was the NEW Supreme. She did a spectacular job. Although her run as a Supreme was short, and she has turned that short run into a career; her time as a Supreme was spectacular.

milven
08-01-2012, 09:27 AM
I just did a google search and found this info. Does anyone know what health problems Jean was having. Also, I did not know of the Jean, Cindy, Lynda did a show at the Copa without Mary as the Supremes. Wouldn't that one day be the original FLOS line-up? Guess you can say that the FLOS made their debut at the Copa :);)

The Supremes themselves had personal distractions as well. Cindy Birdsong had gotten married in 1970, and in 1972 she was pregnant with her first child. She had decided that she would not return to the group after the child was born. After searching for a replacement, the Supremes found Lynda Laurence, a young singer who was thrilled to be part of the act. Both Jean and Mary felt comfortable with Lynda and were hopeful that things would work out, but there were more problems to come.

In the summer of 1972, Jean Terrell began having health problems that kept her in the hospital for weeks at a time. Though Cindy was several months pregnant, she came back to help the group get through an engagement at the Copa in New York City. Then Mary fell ill, so the New York audience saw a show that featured Cindy, Jean, and Lynda. For the first time, the Supremes had put on a show without any original members of the group.

Mary was depressed by all of this. She was grateful to Cindy for agreeing to help out, but she was sad that the Supremes had become a group in which the members were interchangeable. Still, Mary was determined to stay true to the Supremes.

Read more: Not Forgotten - More Bumps In The Road - Supremes, Mary, Cindy, and Lynda http://www.musicianguide.com/featured_biographies/pages/cmx6fdgueg/Forgotten-More-Bumps-in-Road.html#ixzz22Igdp0A2

luke
08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Mary talked about that one show without her in her second book.

marv2
08-01-2012, 09:39 AM

But she can't remember it now. LOL! I do not like that version of "Stoned Love" at all. I like how Mary sings it.

luke
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
It's much too fast as usual. Grating to my ears-she sounds flat, though she handles the beginning well.

reese
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Mary wrote that no one would ever tell her specificially what Jean's health problems were, but that they seemed to occur when she was unhappy.

marv2
08-01-2012, 09:43 AM
It's much too fast as usual. Grating to my ears-she sounds flat, though she handles the beginning well.

Way too fast and non-Soulful in my opinion. The intro just doesn't have it here.

marv2
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Mary wrote that no one would ever tell her specificially what Jean's health problems were, but that they seemed to occur when she was unhappy.

She may have had "Moodyitis"...........hehehehehehehe......

marybrewster
08-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Lynda gets a lot of bashing as an ex-Supreme from Supreme fans. I remember some of your old posts ;) and I also remember your classy mea culpa turn around :)

Yes, you are right. She was very new to the line-up and when Jean got sick in Hawaii, Lynda had to step in and do the leads. It must have been stressful enough to step in for the beloved Cindy, but then to unexpectedly be called to lead the group must have been difficult for her. She pulled it off. I saw this line-up in NYC. In all my excitement of seeing a Supreme performance, at first I did not even notice Jean's absence. I was in shock to see Cindy back in the line-up and expectant. After I got over the shock, I noticed that it wasn't Jean singing the lead, but it was the NEW Supreme. She did a spectacular job. Although her run as a Supreme was short, and she has turned that short run into a career; her time as a Supreme was spectacular.

Thank you Milven.

How exciting to see this rare line-up; I assume it was at the Copa? There are a few pictures floating around out there, of this performance in Hawaii and in New York.

If anything, this is a testament on how professional and adaptable Lynda was/is. Can you imagine, with very little time, not only having to learn the whole act, but learning as lead? Mary must have had a lot of faith in her; it was a gamble that paid off.

Makes you wonder what this line-up of Supremes could have done.

marybrewster
08-01-2012, 09:57 AM

RE: the Copa. I could be confusing this with another engagement, but I believe Jean got sick and Mary and Cindy had to cancel a performance. Then, Mary got sick, and Cindy was flown in to perform with Jean and Lynda, which was the first [[and only?) time the Supremes 1961 - 1977 performed without an original member.

marybrewster
08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
RE: the Copa. I could be confusing this with another engagement, but I believe Jean got sick and Mary and Cindy had to cancel a performance. Then, Mary got sick, and Cindy was flown in to perform with Jean and Lynda, which was the first [[and only?) time the Supremes 1961 - 1977 performed without an original member.

OOPS! I just posted what Milven posted. Sorry! :)

Roberta75
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Amen marybrewster. Lynda Lawrence could certainly sing and this clip proves that. Plus she was a beautiful Supreme.

My best to you.

Roberta

jeff9nyc
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Well..she's no Jean Terrell. Always liked her sound in the background with Mary. But as lead, not quite there.

marv2
08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Well..she's no Jean Terrell. Always liked her sound in the background with Mary. But as lead, not quite there.

I have to agree. Something about her voice just lacks character and is on the bland side to me. She was better in the background.

smark21
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Lynda gets major trouper points for stepping in for Jean when she was out “sick” for those shows in Hawaii and the Copa. But I’m crazy about her singing voice. It’s not that she can’t sing, because she can. But I find her voice too reedy for my taste. Also the arrangement for the nightclub version of Stoned Love just does not compare to the recording.