PDA

View Full Version : For the Harold Melvin/Blue Note fans on SDF

test

timmyfunk
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know how many original members are still in the band? I know about the passing of Harold Melvin and of course Teddy Pendergrass. They're supposed to be performing at a car show here in Long Branch, New Jersey and I'd like to meet them.

edafan
07-31-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't know the makeup of the group,
but the lead singer is great if it is the same guy
Harold Melvin grooved to do the leads.
At times he reiminds me of Teddy.
I hope it is the same guy who had the leads on those oldies shows.

Ed

nosey
07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
I heard a radio interview about a year ago with the Teddy soundalike and he said he had left the group. There are no original members of the group except Sharon Paige who joins them onstage to sing her songs.

juicefree20
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Timmy:

The only original member of Harold Melvin's Bluenotes still performing is Lloyd Parks who has his own set of Blue Notes. He doesn't get to perform as often as he'd like to & I'm not sure who are the other members of his group.

Edafan:

The gentleman whom you're referring to is Donnell Gillespie & indeed, he is the lead singer from the PBS specials. Tony Brooks sings Harold's parts [[usually on the duets with Sharon), Rufus Thorne sings the Lloyd Parks-styled falsettos & John Morris blends in nicely. These brothers have a high energy show, do some serious steppin' & are just flat-out good.

And I have to add that they're some real cool people. Donnell is well..Donnell & Rufus will have you laughing all day long. I was stuck with them 24/7 for a week a few years back & it was hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

juicefree20
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
By the way Timmy, go see them because I'm more than sure that you'll enjoy them. They put on a hell of a show & man, if you close your eyes & listen...

it's downright scary!

paladin
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
By the way Timmy, go see them because I'm more than sure that you'll enjoy them. They put on a hell of a show & man, if you close your eyes & listen...

it's downright scary!

I must agree with you Juice. I've seen them several times, and sometimes with Sharon Paige. They are on a par with Dennis Edwards Temptation Review. Well worth taking the time to see them live. Oh yeah, I believe one of these guys was with Harold Melvin when they were on Million Dollar Records, I cant pull the albums now but it was the tall slender fellow who dances quite like Gladys little brother........I recall his photo from Talk it Up Everybody Album [[ Todays Your Lucky day etc) if not he's got a twin...lol.......

juicefree20
07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Paladin,

What's up man!

The brother whom you're referring to is Rufus Thorne. He's the one who always looks like he's having a ball on the stage when he's doing his steps. I'm not sure so I'll have to check to see if he was with them back then.

While I feel real bad for Lloyd Parks not being able to perform enough on the strength of being the SOLE SURVIVOR of Harold Melvin's ORIGINAL Blue Notes, the truth is that Donnell, Tony, Rufus & John are damn good & put on one hell of a show.

There should be a place for Lloyd to get some gigs as well, but Harold really polished up these brothers & they can pretty much hold their own with anyone out there. And what sets them apart from most is that they haven't dropped the tempo from those high energy Philly classics. Which means that when they're on a show with many other groups, those other groups have to really work harder because Donnell & the fellas set a frenetic pace with songs like "Tell The World", "Bad Luck" & "Satisfaction Guaranteed".

Which is why very often, they end up as headliners & are always well-received at concerts. Those brothers work & man, they work hard. They rarely stop moving!

paladin
07-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Juice like I said I may be wrong , just going from memory, here is a shot of the album cover, the one I'm speaking of is to the right of Harold, right next to the guy who resembles Otis Williams, the guy on the far left of Harold was singing the Teddy [[ parts) ........Harold would change group members like making change but I loved the group and their signature straw hats and tuxes....... and yes the originals were some bad brothers........either way it was nice that you posted and brought back a ton of good memories........

Ooops almost forgot, betcha haven't see this bit of "cheese" in a while, the girl Nikko was cool but no Sharon Paige and of course the Teddy stand- in never really got a shot in this video........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0MD13LgDU

juicefree20
08-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Paladin,

That should be the LP that they recorded on Philly World & indeed, that should be good old Rufus :)

At that point it was Harold, Gil Saunders [[who had replaced David Ebo), Rufus Thorne, William Spratley & Dwight Johnson.

Indeed it was nice talking about the fellas. I don't know whether you've ever met Rufus or john bur if you have, then you probably like them because those brothers are funny as hell.

manny
08-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Nikko is no one other than Joanna Gardner. Great vocalist from with i likes a lot her "Pick Up The Pieces" also on Philly World. I hope I'm wrong but remember have read years ago here in SDF that David Ebo was also passed away. What a great vocalist, from his solo career I only have "I'd Rather Be By Myself", with great shouting high notes like in HM & TBN "Reaching For The World" LP, where he contributes in the most "deep shouting" style on "Hostage" and "Big Singing Star" [[incredible high notes here!).

Some other member I don't knows what made today is Jerry Cummings and the one that Teddy Pendergrass replaced around 1969 - 70, called "?" Atkins. Appart, there was The Blue Notes fronted by Bernie Williams during the 50's - 60's on wich Harold melvin started and still as member until he created his own Blue Notes and registered the rights of the name.

juicefree20
08-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi Manny,

How have you been?

From what I recall, Harold was about 15 or so when he joined The Blue Notes, whom consisted of Bernard Williams, Franklin Peaker, Roosevelt Brodie & Jesse Gillis Jr. Eventually the original members began leaving & when Bernie Williams left, from what has been written, Harold with the approval of the other Blue was given the approval to continue on with the name. Which is where John Atkins entered the picture, in the revamped Blue Notes. Somewhere around 1970, Atkins left & it was discovered that a drummer named Teddy Pendergrass could sing.

Unfortunately, David Ebo died of cancer around 1993 or so & John Atkins died in 1998. Jerry Cummings retired from singing & became a minister.

paladin
08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Indeed it was nice talking about the fellas. I don't know whether you've ever met Rufus or john bur if you have, then you probably like them because those brothers are funny as hell.

I met Rufus and Donnell at a show along with the Delfonics a few years ago, they were very congenial and were very sincere when they talked with us about their performance. The headliner was Smokey Robinson. I always knew that Rufus looked familiar but I didn't put two and two together until later. By the way Harold and nem were on different labels so I was off on that one too, but I have all the vinyl, just didn't want to wait and dig them all out...lol.....

timmyfunk
08-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Timmy:

The only original member of Harold Melvin's Bluenotes still performing is Lloyd Parks who has his own set of Blue Notes. He doesn't get to perform as often as he'd like to & I'm not sure who are the other members of his group.

Edafan:

The gentleman whom you're referring to is Donnell Gillespie & indeed, he is the lead singer from the PBS specials. Tony Brooks sings Harold's parts [[usually on the duets with Sharon), Rufus Thorne sings the Lloyd Parks-styled falsettos & John Morris blends in nicely. These brothers have a high energy show, do some serious steppin' & are just flat-out good.

And I have to add that they're some real cool people. Donnell is well..Donnell & Rufus will have you laughing all day long. I was stuck with them 24/7 for a week a few years back & it was hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

I think I have all of the info that I need. Much thanks to all participating parties.

manny
08-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Juice!
Thanks for your encyclopedic explanations. I remember have found a blog by Jerry Cummings [[not sure, ?).
Also, there was a time after the departure of HM & TBN from Philadelphia International that the rest of the group [[I think the same line up that appears in "To Be True" and "Wake Up Everybody" [[*) albums) recorded as simply The Blue Notes. I have seen the cover art and recognize Bernard Wilson and Laurence Brown, not sure about the other two [[Cummings come with Harold to ABC with Ebo, etc.).

I'm wonder about the possibility of one [[or more) album/s by the enormous Sharon paige, as here in SDF our friend Mr. Weldon [[RIP) explains there is many PIR or Sigma Sound unissued sessions by she and other Philly stuff [[if all the unissued stuff by Sharon is so fine as the two ABC singles I know... buff!!).

[[*) A great Phillysound aficionado explains to me that in Wake Up album the only "Blue Note" that participated was Teddy [[and Sharon solo on "I'm Searching For a Love" and in duet in "You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good". I wonder if that is true. In fact in 1976 was the year of Harold departure... [[?)

A great salute to all and specially to the Blue Notes lovers!

paladin
08-01-2012, 08:03 PM
[[*) A great Phillysound aficionado explains to me that in Wake Up album the only "Blue Note" that participated was Teddy [[and Sharon solo on "I'm Searching For a Love" and in duet in "You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good". I wonder if that is true. In fact in 1976 was the year of Harold departure... [[?)

Hmmm interesting, but I believe Harold sang on "You Know How To make me Feel So Good" or maybe its just the way you wrote it. I've heard that said many times about their studio work, but did your source tell you who was actually doing the backgrounds ?

Maybe you also meant was 1976 the year of Teddy's departure ? I'm not trying to be argumentative just to clarify.

manny
08-03-2012, 05:59 AM
I also recognize the voice [[or a soundalike) by Harold on "You Know How...", but this friend of mine that explains that did it in a Flikr of Soul Music [[a spanish Soul DJ site), today off, and can't found exactly on what thread was this comment. I recall Bobby Eli explains here how many records by HM & TBN was recorded using only Harold & Teddy and the rest of background by Gamble, Huff, Carl Helm, Bunny Sigler & Ron Tyson because some members are good on stage but not in the studio.

paladin
08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
No problem Manny , I'm quite positive that we're sophisticated enough to realize that many record companies have did this same thing with various artists, in fact Motown was notorious for doing this and the true artists never received credit until there was a big reveal years later. I've always considered Harold & The Blue Notes to be a classy group. Like many other groups their line up and internal problems rival that of some of Motown's biggest stars and yet their musical output was simply remarkable. Thank you for your reply.

One other thing, as a fan I find this type of commentary very interesting and informative, yet it doesn't really change the way I feel about their music. More so just a footnote to add to things that have past by.

destruction
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM
One other thing, as a fan I find this type of commentary very interesting and informative, yet it doesn't really change the way I feel about their music. More so just a footnote to add to things that have past by.

Well played olde chap.

juicefree20
08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Indeed!

One of the things that a lot of times gets lost in all of this is that studio singers weren't always used because group members couldn't sing.

Think about Motown in its heyday, or Philly International it its prime. Those artists were always out on the road, singing, dancing & just running themselves into the ground. Studio time being what it is & was is valuable. A lot of times folks just might not have been up to recording, vocal chords wore to a frazzle & I'm sure that there wasn't always time to recoup from all of that.

Sometimes folks had to run in from the road to record their parts & run right back out there on the road. So while there were times when folks were filled in for due to technical imperfections, there were also times when studio singers were used due to time constraints.
Very likely it was simply easier & more financially prudent to use background singers who were used to delivering a pinpoint perfect vocal, than it was to have folks do endless takes in search of perfection.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that back then, such use wasn't likely intended to be the slap in the face that it appears to be today. Perhaps it was a necessary evil & we were none the wiser about it, were we :)

paladin
08-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Well put, Des and Juice, I wholeheartedly agree, another similar explanation along the same lines is that as human beings we are constantly beset by physical and emotional issues, depression, anxiety, addictions and by God even the common cold have thrown many a group for a loop. We all are familiar with the Temptations story and here recently Switch, Marvelettes , Debarges, Jacksons et.al....and the list goes on. In spite of all these circumstances, we celebrate these artists and will continue to do so for making the best music of our lives.

And now for something completely different, I don't know if its the new Forum layout or the fact that I'll soon have Angel wings, but this thread reminds me of the days of old, where we would congregate, participate and discuss the music without the thread self destructing [[ no offense Des........:cool:)...........

Ralphie boy, the ads don't really bother me, hell I might need a used Honda..............

juicefree20
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Paladin,

I hear you all the way!

I definitely enjoy the idea of sharing ideas & despite having a different opinion, they could be voiced without all of the acrimony & having that opinion treated as though someone molested the family dog.

I don't understand how it came to be that a mere difference of opinion could lead to out & out dislike. I guess it's just a sign of the times, or the misapplication of the old "either you're with me or you're against me" mindset which seems to afflict far too many folks these days.

I'm hopeful that some day, we'll get back to that because it's certainly far more productive & better for the blood pressure.

On another note, "Angel wings"??? Brother, you've got me worried here.

paladin
08-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Ralphie boy, the ads don't really bother me, hell I might need a used Honda..............

C'mon Juice, I wasn't going there it was a veiled shout out to Ralph and the corny name /status given to people who contribute a few dollars to the forum......did I say a few....anyway thanks for the concern....lol...........

Ralphie's Angels........???????

Corny and cool .......I was laughing as I typed........only at SDF.......Juice there may be some comedy there......

drewschultz88
08-06-2012, 05:33 PM
The current line up of Bluenotes does such a great job. Here's a great DVD of the guys from a few years back, with a great band, and Donnell throwing down. I think it's just soundboard audio and the side-screen video feed from a show, but their performance is spot on!

http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Melvin-The-Blue-Notes/dp/B000PMLIW2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1344288680&sr=8-13&keywords=harold+melvin%27s+bluenotes

timmyfunk
08-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Well, last nights show was very entertaining. And the line up turns out to be the ones with Rufus and Donnell. Very friendly guys. I'm glad I went.

paladin
08-19-2012, 07:13 PM
They perform very well.........glad you had a great time....

milven
08-19-2012, 10:31 PM
This thread encouraged me to do a search on the Bluenotes. I was surprised to see that a record I bought as a kid in 1960 called My Hero by the Bluenotes was the same group being discussed here. It says that Harold Melvin was leader of that group. Does anyone know who is doing the lead on this song? Sure doesn't sound like Harold. Did Harold do leads on songs? My favorite HMBN song is The Love I Lost and I love the new Tom Moulton remix even more.

Haven't heard MY HERO in decades. Still like it , but it sounds nothing like Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes that I came to love on Philly Int

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-keVw-vka-g

manny
08-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi, Milven
I don't have my vynils here but I remember my copy of the album "The Blue Notes featuring 'My Hero'" [[Collectables, 198?) and the liner notes in the back cover of the sleeve and can say with a 90% of security, the lead is by Bernie Williams. This album contains some gems as the two takes of "Blue Star" [[with and without strings) and a cover of "If You Love Me" by Neighbor Complaints, because there was a problem with the rights and / or the master of The Blue Notes original version.