PDA

View Full Version : mozelle: the brian holland sessions

test

thisoldheart
07-30-2012, 01:51 AM
so, this album came out as an mpg only this week. it was featured on NPR this weekend. any opinions? i thought it was a noble effort, but knowing that the detroit singer's goal was to make an album with Brian holland that sounded as if it was made in 1965 didn't quite cut it. what do you think?

jsmith
07-30-2012, 04:23 AM
I believe her name is MoZella.

thisoldheart
07-30-2012, 05:12 AM
I believe her name is MoZella.
ok, MoZella! i stand corrected! the question, however,remains the same!

jsmith
07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Like a couple of the Holland's song, don't think her voice fits them at all.
......... MoZella Vocal Soul content = 0%.
Not heard all the songs but some don't sound soulful at all [[maybe a combination of her vocal style & the way the backing is handled).
I do like the song "Another You" but again, her vocal style spoils the track. Why produce a soulful track & then let a folk / pop singer loose on it; shameful.

theboyfromxtown
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
I can't believe I didn't know about this until this thread. I love it......

theboyfromxtown
07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
On no....I can't buy it. Why on earth in this day of age can't I buy it. I'm right cheesed off about it.

theboyfromxtown
07-31-2012, 03:21 AM
You can download for free here. This is absolutely fabulous.

http://soundcloud.com/mozellamusic/another-you

theboyfromxtown
07-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Is there anywhere that I can find out the credits like songwriter, musicians, arrangers etc. It's a fabulous album.

144man
07-31-2012, 07:34 AM
I've only listened to "Another You" so far. Sounds like my sort of music.

pj1
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/29/157485828/mozella-recording-an-homage-to-the-motor-city
Not much info here, John, but at least it's a start as it says Mozella's co-writing with Brian.

theboyfromxtown
07-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Thank goodness - I now have the 10 tracks thanks to my mate in New York! I just can't stop playing it. I like as much as any of my Invictus albums.

It's made me even more impatient for Mary Wilson's "Clarity" album.

alanh
08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
The full album is available as a download on iTunes and emusic [[in the UK as well as the US and presumably Europe). I can't make my mind up about it. Indeed, some of the music tracks are pure vintage Motown and Invictus, but Mozella is pure current pop and for my taste has a voice that is a little thin in tone. But, if I put aside 'soul' expectation and listen to it/accept it along with other similar current retro inspired chart music, it's pretty good in that context. I'll listen to it more and let it settle! Meanwhile, it would be great to have an instrumental of 'Another You'!!

I'd be interested to hear from Brian Holland about what inspired him to get involved with this project as opposed to any other opportunity that must have come his way over the years. Lamont has frequently been active in both appearances and also producing occasional artistes [[often pop) etc, but we've heard or seen less of Brian.

theboyfromxtown
08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Alanh

Brian Holland has been getting involved in a bit more than I was aware of. Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiQcQAo5yqw

alanh
08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks John!

paul_nixon
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I've been listening to this album this afternoon and I have to say I'm really impressed, Brian Holland has done a great job in fusing old style Motown values on a really current sounding young lady. I'm not aware of Mozella but she reminds me very much of somebody and it's one of the current crop of chanteusse, but I just can't bring who it is to mind.
There's some really great music on this album in pop music terms and it deserves a much wider audience than Itunes.
Amy Winehosue succesfully recreated the 60's sound and her protogee Dionne Broomfield has done an equally good job and Mozella is right up there with them. For a new album this is really good......try Another You and Hold On two really great pop tracks.