PDA

View Full Version : Phil Collins Motown project

test

robbert
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM
[[I also posted this in the main forum)

Phil & his bunch took detailed notice of the early sound of Motown, not strange 'cause Bob Babbit, Eddie Willis, Ray Monette [[and who else...?) are involved in the project.
Note that there are special editions with no less than 26 tracks... and that Too Many Fish In The Sea and You Keep Me Hangin' On are limited available on DVD/CD.
And then the extra tracks like Ain't Too Proud To Beg and Ain't That Peculiar... can't wait till they appear on YouTube.
Good to hear Phil learned his Motown drum rolls perfectly, the Benny Benjamin ones as wel as the Uriel Jones ones!
And OMG... are those the original Vandellas doing BG on Jimmy Mack? If not, they're sound-alikes.

Top 10 potential? Something About You.
My least favorite track? Love Is Here And Now You're Gone.

The funniest thing though are the non-Motown songs Some Of Your Loving and Going Back. Where were the historians when those songs were chosen?
I also have my doubts about Do I Love You [[sounds like a Spector production) and Talking about My Baby... are these Motown songs? And: You've Been Cheatin’... where does that song come from?

This project goed way further than using Motown samples in modern street music. This is re-inventing the Motown sound.

randy_russi
09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I posted a thread about this collection on the soulful detroit forum. Do I Love You? was a 1964 Phil Spector production
by the Ronettes. Although the backing track is well-done on this collection, his vocals can't compare to the original
done by Ronnie Spector.

robbert
09-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm more interested in the instrumental productions than in Phil's voice, Randy, which shows wear and tear here and there... dare I say?

copley
09-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I really don't have much to say about this so I'll be brief. Why would any Motown or soul fan want to soil their ears by even listening to this is beyond belief. The real thing is out there for all to hear, it can't be bettered, go & listen. Simples! As for his cover of 'Going Back', well Dusty must be turning in her grave.

randy_russi
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
copley, I thought of that too!

robert, it is not Phil's voice, but Ronnie's. I think Phil's production on the song is much better, but this production isn't
bad, although it sounds like it is missing a little something.

copley, at least it does show that great music like that of the 60s can still be made.