PDA

View Full Version : Facebookers! Marvelettes RRHoF

test

marybrewster
07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I see someone has put together a Facebook page in hopes of getting the Marvelettes inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/101135096700721/

carlo
07-25-2012, 05:59 PM
What a wonderful idea! :) I hope it happens. Everyone needs to get on board and support the Marvelettes...the pioneers of Motown!

skooldem1
07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't think much of entertainment type of awards. I don't begin to understand the induction process, but it seems to me that the Marvelettes should be in there. If other girl groups are in, then why not put one of the first successful girl groups of the rock era in? A group that not only had great chart success, but who's signature song was [[co) written by a group member. The song has been covered by many rock groups. That's influence.

Ngroove
07-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Marvelettes are great & all, worthy of being recognized in Rock & Roll pop culture music history in general, but unlike more consistent Motown hitmakers like Supremes and Temptations, whose known for handfuls of greats off-the-top-of many's heads to even sing-along to, popular-music wise [[including "Where Did Our Love Go", "Baby Love", "Come See About Me", "Stop! In The Name Of Love", "You Can't Hurry Love", "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "My Girl", "Get Ready", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", ect), they are still probably mostly remembered only for "Please Mr. Postman". Yes, I know, there's "Beechwood-45789", "Too Many Fish In the Sea", "Don't Mess With Bill", "My Baby Must Be A Magician", ect, but "Postman"'s still probably their sole all-time immortal signature, sad but true.

Think like also Mary Wells, who, despite "You Beat Me To The Punch", "Two Lovers", ect, her sole popular music signature is "My Guy", Jr Walker & the All-Stars, despite "[[I'm A) Roadrunner", "What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)", Walker's sole popular music signature is "Shotgun", and Contours, despite "Can You Do It", "First I Look At The Purse", their sole popular music signature is "Do You Love Me".

copley
07-25-2012, 06:38 PM
This FB page already exists https://www.facebook.com/groups/199531853403779/

Considering some of the names in RRHOF I'm not sure that it counts for much! I love the Marvelettes music and that's all I need.

marybrewster
07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I wonder though: if "Postman" hadn't given Motown a #1 record, would Motown be here, today, as we know it? Without those funds, would there have been room for groups, like the Temptations and the Supremes to continue as "no hits" from '61 to '64?

I don't think the Marvelettes are given all the credit they deserve. Yes, their signature hit may be "Postman", but that was the FIRST number-one at Motown, and helped bust down the doors.

That's how I see it, anyway.

marybrewster
07-26-2012, 08:32 AM
This FB page already exists https://www.facebook.com/groups/199531853403779/

Considering some of the names in RRHOF I'm not sure that it counts for much! I love the Marvelettes music and that's all I need.

It looks like this link is a fan page for the Marvelettes; the other one is specifically in regards to getting the Marvelettes inducted. I don't know if it'll work?

marybrewster
07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
It looks like this link is a fan page for the Marvelettes; the other one is specifically in regards to getting the Marvelettes inducted. I don't know if it'll work?

Looks like the group is over 400 members already.

Motown Eddie
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Marvelettes are great & all, worthy of being recognized in Rock & Roll pop culture music history in general, but unlike more consistent Motown hitmakers like Supremes and Temptations, whose known for handfuls of greats off-the-top-of many's heads to even sing-along to, popular-music wise [[including "Where Did Our Love Go", "Baby Love", "Come See About Me", "Stop! In The Name Of Love", "You Can't Hurry Love", "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "My Girl", "Get Ready", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", ect), they are still probably mostly remembered only for "Please Mr. Postman". Yes, I know, there's "Beechwood-45789", "Too Many Fish In the Sea", "Don't Mess With Bill", "My Baby Must Be A Magician", ect, but "Postman"'s still probably their sole all-time immortal signature, sad but true.

Think like also Mary Wells, who, despite "You Beat Me To The Punch", "Two Lovers", ect, her sole popular music signature is "My Guy", Jr Walker & the All-Stars, despite "[[I'm A) Roadrunner", "What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)", Walker's sole popular music signature is "Shotgun", and Contours, despite "Can You Do It", "First I Look At The Purse", their sole popular music signature is "Do You Love Me".

I disagree! Not only do The Marvelettes have enough classic songs to deserve induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, they were also Motown's first female act to have major hits. It's been said by both Martha Reeves & Mary Wilson that if The Marvelettes didn't work, they would not have worked. Also, another girl group that has entered the Hall, The Ronettes, only had a few major hits that the general fan can remember [["Be My Baby", "Walking In The Rain", "Do I Love You") so if they can enter the Hall, so can The Marvelettes.

Jimi LaLumia
07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
the general,casual fan only knows "Be My Baby", and probably doesn't even know it's The Ronettes[["oh, is that The Supremes?"..lol)...
and Percy Sledge is in, and what is there after "When A Man Loves A Woman"?..I mean, REALLY????
The Marvelettes are way OVER QUALIFIED to be in the R&RHOF... they should be in there, like ten years ago..

Motown Eddie
07-28-2012, 12:28 PM
the general,casual fan only knows "Be My Baby", and probably doesn't even know it's The Ronettes[["oh, is that The Supremes?"..lol)...
and Percy Sledge is in, and what is there after "When A Man Loves A Woman"?..I mean, REALLY????
The Marvelettes are way OVER QUALIFIED to be in the R&RHOF... they should be in there, like ten years ago..

Percy Sledge is an even better example. "When A Man Loves A Woman" is the only 'signature song' he had.

marv2
07-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Now this I agree with!!!

marybrewster
08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
I disagree! Not only do The Marvelettes have enough classic songs to deserve induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, they were also Motown's first female act to have major hits. It's been said by both Martha Reeves & Mary Wilson that if The Marvelettes didn't work, they would not have worked. Also, another girl group that has entered the Hall, The Ronettes, only had a few major hits that the general fan can remember [["Be My Baby", "Walking In The Rain", "Do I Love You") so if they can enter the Hall, so can The Marvelettes.

Exactly Eddie. When you look year to year at the inductees, there always seems to be one group that only had a few "hits". Outside of hits, were any of these groups able to bring their company their first #1 and start the ball rolling? Truly, I don't think enough credit has ever been given to the Marvelettes. Because correct me if I am wrong, it wouldn't be until 1963 that Motown hit #1 again. Could the company have survived 2 more years of drought?