PDA

View Full Version : JBoy88's review of Here Comes Shorty Long: The Complete Stereo Masters

test

jboy88
07-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I've had this set for 2 months and i've yet to put it down. I take it out of the car stereo only to put it back in a day or so later. Needless to say, it's a great set.

The liner notes were very well-written. They did a good job of giving us a detailed view of Shorty's life and career. I only wish that Weldon had lived to participate in this collection since he was so close to him. As far as the music goes, there were quite a few standouts for me. "Here Comes Fat Albert" gives us a more street-wise image of Cobsy's classic character more akin to the routine than the later cartoon. That, and "People Sure Act Funny" could of been contenders as singles.

As far as the stereo mixes of his singles, most of them are far superior to the mono mixes. However, I may be in the minority for this, but I actually prefer the single version of "Chantilly Lace" as the latter contained more of his real personality plus the stereo mix doesn't have the "Mellow baby, Mellow" line on it. However, the Stereo mix of "I Had a Dream", does the song way more justice as Shorty sang it with more passion. Even more poignant following last night's tragedy in Colorado!

Finally, any doubt that Shorty would have made it in the '70s is erased with "Give Me Some Air" on which he and the Funk Brothers get down and dirty on some heavy funk. He also drops acid on "Lillie of The Valley" and "I'm Walkin'" They didn't call it the "Prime of Shorty Long" for nothing!

Personally, I believe that Shorty Long had finally found his swagger when he passed. Certainly, he could of given Marvin and Stevie a run for their money and maybe he would of given George Clinton some competition as well. His death, as well as Tammi Terrell's 9 month later, definitely robbed Motown of some serious talent. It may not be a thorough collection of his work but i would agree with the sediment made in the liner notes that "Less is More", that is definitely the case here.

Roger Polhill
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Well done JBoy, It`s a collection I treasure and I bet the Funks would have had a ball.

theboyfromxtown
07-21-2012, 03:28 AM
I was brought up on the mono version of the "Here Comes The Judge" LP and prefer it. However, I can appreciate the stereo version just as much because I love the album. It's one of those albums that would be suitable for a mono AND stereo same CD release but maybe that's for another day.

I wrote to Freddie Gorman's son Dillon yesterday on Faceback to point out that on the track "Stranded In The Jungle" - that is the Originals backing Shorty and it was his father Freddie that was responsible for the lines "Meanwhile back in the jungle/city".

bankhousedave
07-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your review JBoy. I agree with you entirely on Chantilly Lace. After hearing so much about it, I was really looking forward to hearing it, but it was such a disappointment that I didn't play the rest of the album - I have the essential album from before. After what you say, I'll give it another go.