PDA

View Full Version : Maxine Powell recovers from a stroke

test

theboyfromxtown
07-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Copied from a newsletter from the Motown Alumini Association.

MOTOWN CHARM SCHOOL INSTRUCTOR HOSPITALIZED AFTER A STROKE

Maxine Powell who is credited for helping the Motown stars groom with their etiquette mannerism was found 3 days after having a stroke in her downtown Detroit Jefferson apartment.
She is alive and alert and in an undisclosed facility for recovery.

Powell would joke about the Motown girls laughing at her and swearing they would never need her instruction. Powell told the girls that one of these days you will present yourselves in front of kings and queens, and she wanted them to be ready for that day. Powell in recent years was the hanging buddy of super star Martha Reeves of Martha and the Vandellas. Powell was also with Reeves during he [[Martha's) tenure with the Detroit City Council.

Here's more information on Maxine Powell:
[[Information obtained from the History Makers web site)

Motown talent agent Maxine Powell was born in Texarkana, Texas, and raised in Chicago, Illinois, by her aunt, Mary James Lloyd, who taught etiquette and refinement. Powell attended Keith and Willard elementary schools. Before Powell graduated from Hyde Park High School in 1933, her aunt passed away. Powell attended Madame C.J. Walker’s School of Beauty Culture and worked as a manicurist to finance her acting studies; for eight years, she studied elocution with James Baron, playwright, producer, and director of the Negro Drama League. Powell also took dance and movement lessons from Chicago legend, Sammy Dyer.

Soon, Powell developed a one-woman show called An Evening with Maxine Powell complete with pantomime and skits and performed with the first African American group to perform at the Chicago Theatre. At the same time, Powell taught etiquette as a personal maid to wealthy clientele and held fashion shows featuring the Fashionettes.

After reading a magazine article about John White’s nine-story, 200 room Gotham Hotel, Powell visited Detroit for eleven days in 1945; soon after she moved to Detroit and was teaching self-improvement and modeling classes. In 1951, Powell established the Maxine Powell Finishing and Modeling School. In 1953, Powell bought and remodeled a huge house on Ferry Street which became the largest banquet facility in Detroit for African Americans. As a member of the Zonta Club, Powell brought black productions and artists to Detroit venues; as head of her own agency, she was the first to place black models with several of Detroit’s automobile companies and in mainstream print ads. In 1964, Motown founder Berry Gordy’s sister, Gwen Gordy Fuqua, a top Powell model, convinced Gordy to establish a Powell finishing school for Motown talent. Powell taught Marvin Gaye posture and how to sing with his eyes open. Diana Ross, The Temptations, and Martha Reeves acknowled! ge Powell as the one who taught them how to enter a room and work with their fans.

From 1971 to 1985, Powell taught personal development at Wayne County Community College. After 1985, Powell began working as a consultant on an individual basis.

midnight johnny
07-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Thank you, John.

marybrewster
07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Sending love and light to Miss Maxine! I am saddened to hear this news, but especially that she was "found 3 days after having a stroke". Is no one checking in on this woman?

And is this right? She graduated high school in 1933; which means she would have been born around 1916. Is it possible that this woman in 96 years old? God Bless her!

jillfoster
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Sending love and light to Miss Maxine! I am saddened to hear this news, but especially that she was "found 3 days after having a stroke". Is no one checking in on this woman?

And is this right? She graduated high school in 1933; which means she would have been born around 1916. Is it possible that this woman in 96 years old? God Bless her!

Yep... she's 96.

Glenpwood
07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Wishing Miss Powell a speedy recovery. Just reading all this made me correct my posture. I will also make an extra effort today to make sure my buttocks don't stick out when getting into my car later.....;)

bankhousedave
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
What a fantastic woman. Somebody should get her stories down in a book when she gets back to herself. Wishing her a rapid and complete recovery. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know the half of her achievements.

R. Mark Desjardins
07-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Sending out best wishes to Miss Powell for a speedy recovery.

woodward
08-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Sending out best wishes to Miss Powell for a speedy recovery.

Can anyone give an update on her condition or status? Does anyone know if she is still hospitalized or released?

I truly believe that she has not gotten the credit for her great accomplishments at Motown. I hope someone gives her the recognition that she deserves.

Roberta75
08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Thank you theboyfromxtown for this wonderful news and thank you Heavenly Father for this miraculous blessing.

Merciful Lord, continue to visit and heal Sister Maxine Powell in her time of need and affliction. As you healed Jairus' daughter and raised her from her bed of infirmity, visit your daughter Maxine and deliver her from sickness and pain. For you alone have born the sickness and affliction of our world and with you nothing is impossible. For you dear Father are all-merciful and to you we ascribe glory and adoration forever. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, your son who died on the cross for our sins.

Amen.

Your faithful servant,

Roberta