PDA

View Full Version : Marvelettes Unsung trailer - This looks good and clips of Wanda!

test

stephanie
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFCYUmB4GY

copley
07-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Brilliant. I'm in the UK. Can someone please remind me how I can watch this? Thanks.

marybrewster
07-19-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFCYUmB4GY

Is that "Precious" at the very end?

R. Mark Desjardins
07-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I understand that seasons one to five of Unsung have been made available commercially on DVD format. I haven't been able to find out any information yet if any plans are in place to release season six when it concludes later this year. Does anyone here have any information to share? Thanks!

kenneth
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
On the Youtube link, our own Jimi Lalumia has stated to see the episodes:

"you can see the episode after it airs by going to the site for the tv network TVOne and then on the SHOWS menu, select "Unsung"; they always have the full episode, most recent show up there"

Here's the link to the TVOne site:

http://tvone.tv/

They currently have the Unsung show highlighted featuring Con Funk Shun on the main page. The only full show I saw available was on Kool Mo Dee.

copley
07-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks Kenneth. :)

PS. When is it on?

kenneth
07-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks Kenneth. :)

You're very welcome. I can't wait to see it, either. Should be very interesting.

The site says it's on Monday, July 23, at 9:00 p.m.

copley
07-19-2012, 05:47 PM
That's great, thanks Kenneth.:)

marybrewster
07-23-2012, 09:33 AM
*bump*

Tonight is the night!

kenneth
07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I had never heard of TVOne before, but I was happy to learn that my cable gets it, so I'll be watching tonight's show!

RossHolloway
07-23-2012, 04:17 PM
@kenneth - you've missed some great episodes on Unsung featuring Motown artist: Tammi Terrell, David Ruffin, Teena Marie, The Spinners, Florence Ballard. They're usually pretty well done, and tonight should be no exception.

kenneth
07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
@kenneth - you've missed some great episodes on Unsung featuring Motown artist: Tammi Terrell, David Ruffin, Teena Marie, The Spinners, Florence Ballard. They're usually pretty well done, and tonight should be no exception.

For some reason, I always assumed it was a show from the UK. Hopefully, I'll get to see some of the older episodes at some point.

RossHolloway
07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Some weekends they will have an Unsung marathon on, showing back to back to back episodes for hours. So there's a very good chance you can catch up on some missed episodes. They had great ones on DeBarge and Donnie Hathaway.

kenneth
07-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Some weekends they will have an Unsung marathon on, showing back to back to back episodes for hours. So there's a very good chance you can catch up on some missed episodes. They had great ones on DeBarge and Donnie Hathaway.

Thanks for letting me know.

pj1
07-23-2012, 05:00 PM

They also can be found on the internet, if you tube around.....

Roger Polhill
07-23-2012, 05:46 PM
48 episodes of "Unsung" can be bought from Ioffer.com for $129.94. including Forence Ballard, David Ruffin, Spinners, Tammi Terrell and Mary Wells. I`ll be ordering shortly.

kenneth
07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
48 episodes of "Unsung" can be bought from Ioffer.com for $129.94. including Forence Ballard, David Ruffin, Spinners, Tammi Terrell and Mary Wells. I`ll be ordering shortly.

Have you shopped around? That seems like a lot for Ioffer, which is generally bootleg vids. [[Which is not to say I haven't bought plenty there myself...)

Roger Polhill
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
No I haven`t Kenneth, they were asking $20 per show if I remember right so I thought that it wasn`t too high a price.

marybrewster
07-23-2012, 11:09 PM
What an amazing, er, marvelous episode! Did everyone catch it?

All the living Marvelettes were interviewed. Lots of GREAT information, and we can finally put to rest the Motown myth that "Where Did Our Love Go?" was first offered to the Marvelettes first.

luke
07-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Although Katherine did not deny it and it was stated it wasnt written with them in mind though I think that leaves some wiggle room.

marv2
07-23-2012, 11:36 PM
What an amazing, er, marvelous episode! Did everyone catch it?

All the living Marvelettes were interviewed. Lots of GREAT information, and we can finally put to rest the Motown myth that "Where Did Our Love Go?" was first offered to the Marvelettes first.

I don't think you can put it to rest yet. Lamont Dozier has said repeatedly that "Where Did Our Love Go?" was first rejected by the Marvelettes before it was given to the Supremes to record. Sooooo..........

marv2
07-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Although Katherine did not deny it and it was stated it wasnt written with them in mind though I think that leaves some wiggle room.

Keep in mind that it was stated by only one of the three writers/producers of the song........

Bokiluis
07-23-2012, 11:44 PM
In this era of downloads, "Unsung" episodes can usually be felt on sales that day. The Marvelettes are no exception as "The Ultimate Collection" debuts at #113 on iTunes R&B album chart! Too bad that they were primarily a singles act because artists like Angie Bofill had at least 4 albums charting. But even in downloads, there are probably only a couple of Marvelettes albums commercially available [[just checked, iTunes has 4 Greatest Hits packages available, no studio albums). Let's see how it fares throughout the week as "Unsung" plays more.

daviddesper
07-23-2012, 11:45 PM
I always heard the "I could have kicked myself in the butt" comment that was attributed to Wanda, but I thought the reference was to Baby Love, not Where Did Our Love Go.

marybrewster
07-24-2012, 08:27 AM
All said, I think it was a great episode, one that could have went on for 2 hours, 3 hours.

I can't believe they were able to locate all of the surviving Marvelettes; Katherine looks amazing as always, and I was so happy to see Wanda. It's nice to hear that she's finally sober.

I've often wondered what Ann Bogan looks like these days, and now we know. Funny, Kat was looking for Ann earlier this year; I'm sure it had something to do with this episode.

kenneth
07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
I always heard the "I could have kicked myself in the butt" comment that was attributed to Wanda, but I thought the reference was to Baby Love, not Where Did Our Love Go.

I think that's the way the story was related in the book 'Girl Groups: The Story of a Sound.' I noticed though that the chapters on the Motown artists had several errors, especially when it came to names of songs. As I recall, they referred to "You're My Remedy" and a few other songs incorrectly.

smark21
07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
In this era of downloads, "Unsung" episodes can usually be felt on sales that day. The Marvelettes are no exception as "The Ultimate Collection" debuts at #113 on iTunes R&B album chart! Too bad that they were primarily a singles act because artists like Angie Bofill had at least 4 albums charting. But even in downloads, there are probably only a couple of Marvelettes albums commercially available [[just checked, iTunes has 4 Greatest Hits packages available, no studio albums). Let's see how it fares throughout the week as "Unsung" plays more.

Any reaction to the contents of the show itself besides obsessively monitoring sales charts?

kenneth
07-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Any reaction to the contents of the show itself besides obsessively monitoring sales charts?

It was a very balanced and fair appraisal of the group, both their stature at Motown and how it diminished over the years, contrasted with their interpersonal [[and personal) problems. I don't think a more balanced program could have been done. It was informative, and had some rare video I'd not seen before. They also interviewed many important people - all 4 of the surviving singers [[Rogers, Schaffner, Cowart, and Bogan), and even Georgia Dobbins, the original creator of the group who first thought of "Please Mr. Postman" as a title and put it to paper. I found her gracious remembrances of what was [[and what might have been had she remained in the group) to be very moving. They also interviewed one of Gladys' sons, 2 of Wanda's sisters, and several prominent Motowners such as Eddie Holland, Janie Bradford and others.

There's another thread running with other impressions.

The full show is linked on the TVONE web site. Be sure to see it.