PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Forever Came Today video

test

luke
09-15-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTmz1Ko94w&feature=related Finally a Supremes video Ive never seen!

Glenpwood
09-15-2010, 07:18 PM
You can buy that video on iTunes now for $1.99

topdiva1
09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Amazing - Diana Ross and The Supremes at the Top - how thin they where - how grand they where - how lengendary they remain.

skooldem1
09-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Here is the HD version. They never looked better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtBWKoFpnc&feature=related

smark21
09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTmz1Ko94w&feature=related Finally a Supremes video Ive never seen!

OK, that's what I wanted you to do. I take what I said in the other thread back. My apologies.

robbert
09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
smark... stop it! LMAO!

robbert
09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice to see DRATS in those chique black dresses, though... by the way, the dresses were re-used for the Supremes with Jean.

gordy_hunk
09-16-2010, 04:26 AM
I've not seen Diana Ross + The Supremes perform my all time favourite record before. I also noticed that there was a link to another one of my favourite tracks "I'll set you free" which gives a different version to that released on the album [[or at least my copy of the album).

mrlonleyheart
09-16-2010, 04:41 AM
On that video I have recognized that the Andantes sang the back up vocals on the studio version, only on this TV special live performance there are all three Supremes.

uptight
09-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Years ago, watching this clip was how I figured Mary & Cindy didn't know all the background parts in the record [[which was probably as hard for them to decipher as it was for most listeners). On TV they sang, "La, la, la, la...." instead of "Ah, ah, ah, I've got my love at last..." They probably figured, "Why bother learning the complete background arrangement if we're only going to sing it once for TV?"

This was Ed Sullivan, right? I'm guessing the music was live this time, with Mary & Cindy singing underneath an overhead mic.

nomis
09-16-2010, 06:51 AM
yup Uptight its Sullivan

reese
09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
The background vocals sound really smooth and balanced, unlike those on say the FAREWELL or TALK OF THE TOWN albums. I think Mary and Cindy's vocals were probably pre-recorded, and only Diana is singing live.

marybrewster
09-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Was this song ever brought into the DRATS live act; concerts, etc? You'd think for it being their latest release it would, but I never hear any mention of it.

I've always considered this as one of the greatest Supremes performances on Sullivan. Look how mature and regal Diana and Mary look. Hard to believe they were in their early 20's in this clip.

nomis
09-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi Mary apparently they never sang it live -we discussed this a few years ago on here and people who had seen them at the time said they never performed it - which,if,true,Is understandable as it unfortunatley dropped off the charts pretty quickly..I think its a great song Diana goes for gold and its the first taste of what was to come in regards to the epic Nik and Val solo songs..

randy_russi
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I remember seeing this on Ed Sullivan, a show they appeared on soooo many times. Great stuff!

topdiva1
09-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Here is the HD version. They never looked better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtBWKoFpnc&feature=related

They indeed looked fabulous here, and how grand they all appear - however, may I say that I can only think these much televised performances took a brutal toll on Flo Ballard.

nomis
09-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Flo can be seen in the audience in one DRATS Hollywood Palace taping..

topdiva1
09-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Flo can be seen in the audience in one DRATS Hollywood Palace taping..

Nomis - can you tell us where we all can see this appearance of Flo Ballard in the audience of Diana Ross and The Supremes at The Hollywood Palace - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

nomis
09-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Top Diva - I always get confused over The Palace Shows - Im pretty sure its the one where Diana has the short wig she wore for Im Livin in Shame on Sullivan -sorry I cant remember exactly Ive only seen it once but its definetley Flo she has a smallish afro style hair..someone pointed it out on here not long ago If I can find the post I will message you..

nomis
09-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Top Diva its at the introduction at 0.05 before the girls do "Its today" you can see Flo in the audience sitting with Tommy.

nomis
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
..and Wilsons "Forever Faithful" states that Flo sat in the front of the audience for one DRATS live concert..

bradsupremes
09-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Just watched the Hollywood Palace clip and I don't think that's Florence and Tommy in the audience. The man is too old to be Tommy and the woman doesn't really look like Florence.

nomis
09-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I trust your judgement Brad..I only read the comments it looked a little like her to me when I saw it but if you say its not I go with that.

captainjames
09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
I have always loved this performance by Diana Ross and The Supremes. They were truly beautiful on the Ed Sullivan show that night and the hair and gowns were all elegant. Cindy looked "HOT" to me that night and I finally acepted her as a Supreme because for a teenage boy that evening it had all been her fault [[lol). Looking back on this clip reminds me of when I really didn't want it to end [[Diana leaving the Supremes), although it had not been announced to my knowledge yet.

topdiva1
09-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Top Diva its at the introduction at 0.05 before the girls do "Its today" you can see Flo in the audience sitting with Tommy.

That is not Flo nor Tommy - The man is way too old - and the woman does not remotely look like Florence Ballard - I do not feel that during that time Flo would have flown out to LA to see the girls perform on a TV show - but that is just me - from all reports the parting of The Supremes was painful and nasty.

1382hitsville
09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
This performance came out on DVD some years ago [[2004). This DVD is called: "Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n' Roll Classics - The Temptations & The Supremes and contains from the Supremes: Come See About Me, Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, I'm Livin; In Shame, Forever Came Today, No Matter What Sign You Are & Up The Ladder To The Roof.

I think I've picked this up in Hong Kong.

captainjames
09-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Beautiful as she is, Mary looks like she is in a different world during this performance.

robbert
09-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Of course she does, captain, Mary KNEW too much... and being the pro she was and is, she seldomly showed it in public. In this clip we might get a glimpse of the real Mary in 1968/'69.

smark21
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
ON the same Sullivan episode they performed the Fats Waller medley, probably the best speciality number the Supremes ever did on TV.
T

topdiva1
09-18-2010, 09:21 AM
ON the same Sullivan episode they performed the Fats Waller medley, probably the best speciality number the Supremes ever did on TV.
T

You are so very correct - that was a classic number - that really has gone unnoticed by many die hard fans - young and old.

captainjames
09-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Robert
No whether she knew too much or not, Mary was a professional and never showed emotions like this on stage before. Watch it again............

topdiva1
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Robert
No whether she knew too much or not, Mary was a professional and never showed emotions like this on stage before. Watch it again............

I am sure Mary knew it all - and remember you can never know too much. However in this flawless performance by all three Supremes, I see no special emotions from Mary WILSON tha differ from any other of the grand ladies. Please enlighten.

sup_fan
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
1286Forever Came Today just has never done much for me. just not my fav sup song. I will admit that they look fierce in these black gowns

here are a few points i've learned over the years regarding this song and/or performance

1. background vocals - if you can accurately transcribe the background vocals on the original recording, you earn the Supremely Grand Prize. no one really knows - not Rick, not Andy, not Randy. even Mary and Cindy couldn't figure it out. if you notice, they just go 'Ahhh ahhahhh ahhh" while Diana is singing the 2nd verse. Since the Andantes did the recording, mary and cindy just had to play the 45 over and over to try and learn the oohs from the ahhs. this time though, they just couldn't figure it out and redid the vocals to the ahhhs

2. gowns - these are the gowns the girls wore on Johnny Carson's show after Dr King was assassinated. These gowns were re-used through the Jean Terrell years but were redone some. there's a pic of MJL with the fronts and bodices slightly redesigned. Also, these gowns were lost in the infamous fire in Mexico

elegant_soul
09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanx......I did not know they had been altered and then lost in the fire. I was hoping mary would put them in her collection, but that will not be possible.

bradsupremes
09-19-2010, 10:46 PM
1.) I believe what the background vocals during the bridge are:
"Ahhhhhhh I got my love at last
My my my my loneliness has passed
Ahhhhhh I got my love at last
My my my my loneliness has passed"

Makes sense to the song!

2.) As for the gowns, when I worked with them in storage I never ran across the "Forever Came Today" gowns. They weren't listed on the inventory and assumed lost in the fire. I did run across several sets of gowns never displayed in Mary's exhibit but they were too fragile or damaged to be showcased. There were a few that looked to be in good shape for display, but never were used [[ex. Mary, Scherrie & Cindy's white, yellow and pink opera coats.)

elegant_soul
09-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Very Interesting! What kind of damage? Like due to wearing or due to bugs-humidity-sunshine-ect.....?

bradsupremes
09-19-2010, 11:35 PM
The ones that were not in good condition had missing sequins, loose beads/pearls, faded colors, fragile material, but most of all - stains. Even the shoes were in bad shape, but it was fun to see their names written on the inside! I think they were all just worn out from being used so much. After all, these were work clothes.

I remember the "Slinky Sexy Dresses" as they were called were in really bad shape. The rhinestones and beads around the neckline and chest were missing and/or calcified. We were transferring all the gowns from older boxes into better ones and I remember I was picking it up a gown to move it and all the beads on one of the strands started falling off. I just froze there. I was afraid to move.

There were a lot of other things that weren't used. Hats, gloves, belts, several wigs, jewerly, makeup kits, gown sketches from Bob Mackie and Michael Travis, 45 sleeves, LP sleeves, newspaper clippings, posters, store promotional cut-outs, sheet music, autographs, memorabilia, and tons & tons & tons of never-before-seen photos [[publicity, candids, outtakes.) It was heaven going through it all, especially the photos. Saw some very cool and interesting surprises!

MissLish
09-20-2010, 02:17 AM
1286Forever Came Today just has never done much for me. just not my fav sup song. I will admit that they look fierce in these black gowns

here are a few points i've learned over the years regarding this song and/or performance

1. background vocals - if you can accurately transcribe the background vocals on the original recording, you earn the Supremely Grand Prize. no one really knows - not Rick, not Andy, not Randy. even Mary and Cindy couldn't figure it out. if you notice, they just go 'Ahhh ahhahhh ahhh" while Diana is singing the 2nd verse. Since the Andantes did the recording, mary and cindy just had to play the 45 over and over to try and learn the oohs from the ahhs. this time though, they just couldn't figure it out and redid the vocals to the ahhhs

2. gowns - these are the gowns the girls wore on Johnny Carson's show after Dr King was assassinated. These gowns were re-used through the Jean Terrell years but were redone some. there's a pic of MJL with the fronts and bodices slightly redesigned. Also, these gowns were lost in the infamous fire in Mexico

Is the MLK performance available anywhere? I have never seen this performance, nor have I heard much about it. It had to have been a very special performance. That it is so rare makes it even more intriguing.

MissLish
09-20-2010, 02:20 AM
That all sounds like so much fun BradSupremes! Miss Lish screamed at the part where you "froze"!! LOL!

nomis
09-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Miss Lish - the MLK tribute on Tonight Show looks like it has been wiped,no copy has ever surfaced of it anywhere,What I do know that it was broadcast twice,So you would presume there would be less chance of the video master being wiped..sadly it dosent look like thats the case,,The girls performed "Somewhere" and Diana sat alone on the panel with Johnny and discussed Kings murder..it was an important apperance thats why it was repeated a few nights later.

MissLish
09-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Thank you, noimis! You know, if ever there is a movie made, this could be a pivotal point. The Ross/Gordy story is interesting on so many levels, and really should be told, and not salaciously so.

sup_fan
09-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Bradsupremes - at the Grand Rapids showing of the gowns, there were these trenchcoats with these emerald green jewels on the bodice. if i remember right, sort of done in peacock feather look. i think it said these were from the DMC era. did they have a lot of coats similar to this? i think it also said something about how after a show and after being on stage with a zillion lights on you, you could be extremely hot and then leaving a theater into a cold night could be dangerous. so they had special coats made. is that was those pink, white and yellow opera coats were for too? i believe those gowns were in the exhibit too and it mentions there were opera coats to accompany

bradsupremes
09-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Sup_fan, it's funny you mention those yellow/green coats with the gowns because I have never seen a photo of them wearing them until I was going through one of the boxes of Mary's photos and there I stumbled upon a picture of Diana, Mary and Cindy posing together backstage wearing those gowns/coats. It looked from around 1969 because Mary and Cindy were wearing the same wigs they wore on the Hollywood Palace when they sang "I'm Livin' In Shame" and Diana's wig was short [[similar to Cindy's wig on the Funny Girl LP.) There were several other pictures of them wearing gowns I never saw before photographed or in Mary's collection. There were even some costume sketches/designs of gowns by Bob Mackie and Michael Travis that I never saw before [[they were from the DMC era 1967-1969.)

As for coats, the only ones we ran across were the opera coats which I think someone posted a picture of. There were some feathered boas/slip-overs from the "Chocolate Jumpsuits" and the white & bronze sequin gowns from the MSC era, but that was it.

nomis
09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
you should write a book Brad it would certainly do their legacy justice and a nice counter balance to recent hatchet jobs..

robbert
09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
There were a lot of other things that weren't used. Hats, gloves, belts, several wigs, jewerly, makeup kits, gown sketches from Bob Mackie and Michael Travis, 45 sleeves, LP sleeves, newspaper clippings, posters, store promotional cut-outs, sheet music, autographs, memorabilia, and tons & tons & tons of never-before-seen photos [[publicity, candids, outtakes.) It was heaven going through it all, especially the photos. Saw some very cool and interesting surprises!

"... when I worked with them in storage..."

Brad, can you tell me more what project that was [[worked with them in storage)? I can't visualize what you must have been working on.

Your lines make my mouth water. Gown sketches from Mackie and Travis, why on earth were they not used in the gown exhibition? Question of copyright or something?
Make up kits, veeeeery interesting, of course [[although...), sheet music, wow... tons of [[never seen before) photos... OMG.
If I could work with a fraction of all of the items you mentioned, I would organize an exhibition in The Netherlands and I guarantee you it will be crowded!

bradsupremes
09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I was the Collections Intern at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum and we worked with Mary's gowns in storage that were not used in the exhibit. There was an impressive amount of things that were not used at all. Actually, it was my second day working there that we started with the gowns and then continued to do so throughout my time there right up to the last week. We were going over inventory and making sure everything that was there was there. After the EMP exhibit, the gowns are going back to Mary.

The thing with the gown sketches is that they were sketches of gowns that were not used in the exhibit or any in storage. One was a design of the silver peacock gowns and another was a design of gowns that I never saw before - they were white with white beads and sequins from the neck to the waist and then white chiffon from the waist to the floor with this green beaded design like looked like snowflakes.

The pictures were a lot of fun going through. My boss knew I was a fan so he let me go through them all, plus I had to make sure they were in the inventory list. Saw a lot of outtakes from photo sessions including one of Diana, Mary and Cindy kidding around and laughing. They looked like they were having fun with each other. A lot of personal photos from Mary that included a lot of onstage shots, backstage, etc. Tons of live pictures that were amazing to see. [[One of Diana, Mary & Cindy in late 1969 wearing very plain and simple gowns. Almost as if they decided to wear a set of gowns they bought from a store in 1965.)

Funny thing is that the gowns in storage were mostly from the 70's era with a few from the 60's, yet the pictures were all from the 60's with a good amount from the MSC era.

sup_fan
09-22-2010, 07:46 AM

brad - any info on these gowns? other than these couple of pics, i haven't seen them before. when you described the white ones w/ snowflakes, kinda made me wonder

bradsupremes
09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure if I saw those gowns in storage or not. I don't remember seeing them. I might have but there were so many that I lost count.

I have never seen a picture of the actual gowns from that gown sketch I was talking about. It may have just been a design that was proposed to them, but never made. The sketch looks to have been drawn around 1967-1969 because it fit into the types of gowns they were wearing at the time.