PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Night In The D

test

glencro
07-17-2012, 12:04 PM
This past Sunday I went to dinner with a few friends to one of my favorite restaurants, Vicentes Cuban Cuisine located in downtown Detroit. I noticed downtown was more crowded than usual on a Sunday night. After enjoying a good meal, we decided to walk around and investigate. Boy, were we in for a treat. The Harmony Park area had been transformed to a festival like area with a concert stage. The band and background singers had taken the stage, so we decided to stick around and see who was going to perform. The announcer finally said LADIES & GENTLEMEN, PHIL PERRY. He took the stage and what a show. He sang such classics as "If Only You Knew", "Love Don't Love Nobody", "Call Me" and "Ride Like The Wind". He was in great voice and seemed to apologize for being a balladeer and not having many upbeat songs, but the audience did not mind. Afterwards, we heard more music going. The Rhinocerus had its doors open and a small group of talented musicians were jamming. It was open mic night and let me tell you, Detroit is still full of talented people. A beautiful young lady begin to sing Stevie Wonder's "ALL I DO" and she was singing her heart out. All of a sudden, a very tall middle aged man joined her on stage with his saxophone. The music was heavenly and I was thinking, wow, that man and that lady should be doing this professionally. Come to find out it was the one and only Ronnie Laws, who was just hanging out downtown. I also spotted Keith Washington in the place. Was a great night and alll that I had to pay for was my meal.

destruction
07-18-2012, 04:40 PM
OUTSTANDING....... One of my fondest memories of the D is visiting Bert's on Open Mike night.....and marvelling at the wealth of talent, both established and unknown, that performed that eve........as well as the fish samiches.

moe
07-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Thursday night at Bert's...............who shows? Marcus Belgrave, Pervis Jackson, James Carter and his brother. Tonya [[our wonderful hostess).
And YOU........destruction............ate 2 fish samiches and would've eaten a third had I not held on for dear life!!

marv2
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
This past Sunday I went to dinner with a few friends to one of my favorite restaurants, Vicentes Cuban Cuisine located in downtown Detroit. I noticed downtown was more crowded than usual on a Sunday night. After enjoying a good meal, we decided to walk around and investigate. Boy, were we in for a treat. The Harmony Park area had been transformed to a festival like area with a concert stage. The band and background singers had taken the stage, so we decided to stick around and see who was going to perform. The announcer finally said LADIES & GENTLEMEN, PHIL PERRY. He took the stage and what a show. He sang such classics as "If Only You Knew", "Love Don't Love Nobody", "Call Me" and "Ride Like The Wind". He was in great voice and seemed to apologize for being a balladeer and not having many upbeat songs, but the audience did not mind. Afterwards, we heard more music going. The Rhinocerus had its doors open and a small group of talented musicians were jamming. It was open mic night and let me tell you, Detroit is still full of talented people. A beautiful young lady begin to sing Stevie Wonder's "ALL I DO" and she was singing her heart out. All of a sudden, a very tall middle aged man joined her on stage with his saxophone. The music was heavenly and I was thinking, wow, that man and that lady should be doing this professionally. Come to find out it was the one and only Ronnie Laws, who was just hanging out downtown. I also spotted Keith Washington in the place. Was a great night and alll that I had to pay for was my meal.

See, those are the things I miss most about Detroit. We always had a good time and you are right, Detroit is a talent mecca! I am going back hopefully in late August.

destruction
07-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Moe......You didn't notice that I'd slipped away.......but they closed the kitchen.

Glencro.....forgot to add earlier that I would have loved to hear Phil's take on "If Only You Knew".....a personal fave.

This was one of my fave pics from that night.

gary
07-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Glencro...I was a few blocks away on Sunday night checking out George Clinton at the Concert of Colors.

Last Saturday was a good night too. Tito Puente Jr. & Orchestra followed by the Detroit All-Star Review hosted by Don Was with Marcus Belgrave, James Carter, Dennis Coffey, Wendell Harrison, Regina Carter and many others. Best concert I've seen in a long time.

They were really rockin' in the D last weekend.