PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Campaigning to Be IDOL Judge

test

milven
07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
By B.J. Hammerstein

Aretha Franklin interview: She's eager for summer gigs, new album and biopic

Detroit’s Queen of Soul is looking to stake her claim to the “American Idol” throne, reportedly asking to fill one of the judges’ seats left open after Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler and hit singer Jennifer Lopez announced they were leaving the reality singing competition.

But is Aretha Franklin, 70, named the greatest singer of all time by Rolling Stone, who Fox producers and the TV viewers want?

“She’s the original American idol. Honesty is one of her attributes and who could argue her understanding of vocal talent – especially in this day of auto-tune?,” Spike, cohost of WKQI-FM [[95.5)’s “Mojo in the Morning” told the Free Press today.

The buzz about Franklin began late Saturday when CNN and TMZ published reports that Franklin had emailed “Idol” producers expressing interest in filling one of the vacated seats on the reality singing competition’s judges’ panel. An email sent to Franklin’s publicist asking for confirmation wasn’t returned Sunday.

Last-standing original judge Randy Jackson has also been rumored on various entertainment web sites to be departing the series, which would enter its 12th season in January. “Idol,” the one-time ratings juggernaut that had 30 million viewers tuning in during the show’s peak in 2006, has been steadily declining in the ratings over recent seasons, dropping to an average of 20 million in 2012.

“The broader question is can any judge save ‘American Idol’?” Spike adds.

“If they don’t change the execution of show, if there are not bold changes done to keep people interested, ‘American Idol’ is going to become the MySpace of reality TV,” he said of the now-defunct social networking site that pre-dated Facebook.

For Franklin, who’s still hoping to have her memoir adapted to the silver screen, joining “Idol” will certainly be a big boost, exposing her to millions of young fans who watch the show but might not know her music that well.

But with judges on competing singing shows like Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine and Cee-Lo Green on NBC’s “The Voice” and Britney Spears and Demi Lovato on Simon Cowell’s Fox series “The X Factor,” Franklin might not be exactly who “Idol” producers are hoping for. Names like Mariah Carey and former “Idol” contestant Adam Lambert have both already been rumored on various entertainment web sites as potential new judges.

Still, there’s no denying the “Respect” singer’s vocal prowess.

Sterling Heights’ Christina Chriss, the lead singer for pop-rock group Kaleido, said she’s not into reality TV shows but Franklin’s words would mean a lot.

“She’s an icon,” Chriss said. “She’s such a strong woman and I really look up to her. I love her music and anything she had to say to me about my singing would be powerful.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20120715/ENT03/120715021/Aretha-Franklin-wants-judge-American-Idol-

stephanie
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
There should be no question a seat should be GLUED to her. Maybe they think she will be TOO honest!

marv2
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
There should be no question a seat should be GLUED to her. Maybe they think she will be TOO honest!

I don't think Aretha will want to do it week after week. I believe she will get bored with it after 5 maybe 6 shows and will bow out.

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
For all the reasons mentioned, this would be a surprise if it happened.

nabob
07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Aretha is raising hell, again. Apparently Kathie Lee Gifford expressed an opinion on her show that this would not be a good move for Lady Soul because the younger demographic doesn't really know her and that since she doesn't fly, getting back and forth-to and fro would bring its challenges. Ree gave her comeback demanding that Kathie Lee do some research before spreading mis-information: http://http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/showbiz/aretha-franklin-today-show/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Aretha to Kathie Lee, 'Today': Show me some R E S P E C T

By Roland S. Martin, CNN Contributor
updated 8:04 PM EDT, Mon July 16, 2012

[[CNN) -- Memo to Kathie Lee Gifford and the "Today" show from the Queen of Soul: Do some research before you talk about me!

During the fourth hour of NBC's morning show on Monday, co-hosts Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford were talking with E! correspondent Jason Kennedy about Aretha Franklin wanting to be a judge on "American Idol," a story which CNN first reported.

Gifford emphatically said today's generation of music lovers don't know who the 18-time Grammy Award winner is.

"If they are looking for a younger demographic, there are a lot of kids out there [[who) actually don't know who Aretha Franklin is. It's sad, but they don't," Gifford said.

Then, Kennedy poured more cold water on the idea of Franklin doing the show, saying she doesn't like to fly and that will make it hard for her to travel across the country for auditions.

"She does not fly. She needs to get over that [[doing 'Idol')," he said.

A few hours later, Franklin responded in an e-mail, exclusively obtained by CNN. In it, she set the record -- and her critics at "Today" -- straight.

"While I enjoy Kathie Lee and Hoda daily, her assessment is totally wrong!" Franklin wrote.

"I've been to California from Detroit four times this year, and Florida. I go wherever I choose to go comfortably on my custom bus.

"Further, my audience and fans span the age of 8 to 90! And are multi-ethnic, and I am very well known to young adults, tweens and teens. Their parents play my music and I take care of my business whenever I sign on the dotted line!

"I'm surprised Kathie Lee did not research my worldwide celebrity audience! She's usually right on top of things with a great sense of humor, but she's totally wrong this time. She should research me before she speaks about me. I'm sure she thought she was right; still enjoy Hoda and Kathie Lee!"

As for be a judge on "Idol," Franklin made it clear she's up for the task.

"I could enjoy being a judge for a season or two. Let's kick it up a few notches and have a slammin', jammin' season," she wrote.

Drama finds our Queen where ever she may be.

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Yes, Aretha is pissed again.

I wonder if she has ever been told that getting pissed all the time can keep her off American Idol etc.

mark speck
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
The beauty of Aretha is that she always tells like it is...for that reason alone, I think she'd make a great Idol judge.

Best,

Mark