PDA

View Full Version : Diana's "Baby It's Me".....

test

marybrewster
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Was doing a little digging through my albums yesterday and pulled this one in anticipation of it's deluxe treatment [[can't wait!). This is the album that contains one of my favorite Diana singles "Gettin' Ready for Love". I always loved the jazzy, snazzy sound; reminds me a bit of "Mr. Melody" by Natalie Cole.

A few observations that I never noticed before: TWO songs are included from one Melissa Manchester. I've always loved Melissa's version of "Come in From the Rain" and never noticed before that Diana had covered it. I wonder if this was one of Carole Bayer Sager's first attempts to write without her [[then) husband?

Also [[and it seems silly): Diana pretty much has the same pose on the cover of this LP as she does her next LP, "Ross". Check out the two: yes, there are obvious differences, but look at Diana's arm [[and elbow). A question [[for maybe George?): was the artist rendering on "Ross" bootlegged from "Baby, It's Me"? Or is this one of those things I'll have to wait for the liner notes to find out, LOL.

Next: I see that [[via wiki) that Sherlie Matthews and Clydie King are credited on vocals, but Venetta Fields is not. Is this an oversight, or were all of the Blackberries on this LP?

And LASTLY: Stevie has a song included on this LP, "Too Shy To Say". Stevie was H-O-T in 1977 [[with "Sir Duke" and "I Wish" reaching #1). I wonder why this wasn't released as a single? Was it ever considered?

marybrewster
07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/marybrewster/Diana-baby.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/marybrewster/Ross-1978.jpg

George Solomon
07-10-2012, 08:56 PM
The artist whose name I believe was Ricky Ricardo used the back photo from Diana Ross 76 as a model for the face on this painting. I'm not sure about the arm... I'm thinking he did this painting before "Baby It's Me" was released but I could be wrong. [[Did I just say that)?
He gave this to Diana and she loved it. She said she wanted to use it as an album cover and she kept her word!
Baby It's Me is a great album and we have some really good things to work with for an expanded edition!

marv2
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Was doing a little digging through my albums yesterday and pulled this one in anticipation of it's deluxe treatment [[can't wait!). This is the album that contains one of my favorite Diana singles "Gettin' Ready for Love". I always loved the jazzy, snazzy sound; reminds me a bit of "Mr. Melody" by Natalie Cole.

A few observations that I never noticed before: TWO songs are included from one Melissa Manchester. I've always loved Melissa's version of "Come in From the Rain" and never noticed before that Diana had covered it. I wonder if this was one of Carole Bayer Sager's first attempts to write without her [[then) husband?

Also [[and it seems silly): Diana pretty much has the same pose on the cover of this LP as she does her next LP, "Ross". Check out the two: yes, there are obvious differences, but look at Diana's arm [[and elbow). A question [[for maybe George?): was the artist rendering on "Ross" bootlegged from "Baby, It's Me"? Or is this one of those things I'll have to wait for the liner notes to find out, LOL.

Next: I see that [[via wiki) that Sherlie Matthews and Clydie King are credited on vocals, but Venetta Fields is not. Is this an oversight, or were all of the Blackberries on this LP?

And LASTLY: Stevie has a song included on this LP, "Too Shy To Say". Stevie was H-O-T in 1977 [[with "Sir Duke" and "I Wish" reaching #1). I wonder why this wasn't released as a single? Was it ever considered?

"Gettin' Ready for Love" was one of her all time best recordings in my opinion and the album, "Baby It's Me" was her BEST album ever. Every song was decent to good and they all flowed well together on that album. Richard Perry outdid himself with that one.

marybrewster
07-10-2012, 10:57 PM
The artist whose name I believe was Ricky Ricardo used the back photo from Diana Ross 76 as a model for the face on this painting. I'm not sure about the arm... I'm thinking he did this painting before "Baby It's Me" was released but I could be wrong. [[Did I just say that)?
He gave this to Diana and she loved it. She said she wanted to use it as an album cover and she kept her word!
Baby It's Me is a great album and we have some really good things to work with for an expanded edition!

George Solomon WRONG? Say it ain't so. :)

One more question I forgot to add.....

The title of this album is "Baby, It's Me" and obviously the song "Baby, It's Me" was included on the LP, but was never [[to my knowledge) released as a lead single [[it was released as a "B" side). Is this the case of "was supposed to be", then for some mysterious reason, wasn't? If the lead single was "Gettin' Ready for Love", wouldn't that have been a more apt title for the LP?

All things considered, this LP fared [[at #18) much better than albums like "Last Time I Saw Him" [[#52) and even her solo debut "Diana Ross" [[#19).

danman869
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm curious as to how Richard Perry wound up producing Diana for an album project--and assume we'll find that out in the booklet essay for this set. He certainly had made a name for himself by 1976-77, but being that he wasn't an in-house Motown producer, it was unusual! They sound is certainly not typical Motown--but the songs are definitely suited to Diana. Though I've heard the singles from this album, I'm looking forward to exploring it as a whole! :)

Jimi LaLumia
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
was that #18 Pop chart or R&B chart?...
I was shocked at the time, that there were no successful singles from this album...
but I was equally distressd that the 70's Supremes were also being ignored by pop radio at the time...
the Motown machine seemed to stop working during this period, because the records, both from Ross and the 70's Supremes, were fab, and deserved big success.

marv2
07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
was that #18 Pop chart or R&B chart?...
I was shocked at the time, that there were no successful singles from this album...
but I was equally distressd that the 70's Supremes were also being ignored by pop radio at the time...
the Motown machine seemed to stop working during this period, because the records, both from Ross and the 70's Supremes, were fab, and deserved big success.

I don't know why the songs didn't chart higher, but you heard "I'm Gettin' Ready For Love" on the radio often in the Detroit Metro area in the Fall of '77. As for the Supremes, "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" and "High Energy" received radio airplay locally.

marybrewster
07-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Jim- #18 Pop; #7 R & B.

marybrewster
07-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Were there ANY big, successful charting albums from Motown around this time? I mentioned above, Stevie had two big singles that same year, but what else was going on within the company at this time? I just think this happens to be one of those over looked treasures.

marybrewster
07-11-2012, 12:38 AM
To answer my own question, there were only FIVE lp's released by Motown in 1977. Yes, FIVE, one being a Stevie Wonder's greatest hits. So basically this LP was the BEST thing to come out of Hitsville in '77.

bradsupremes
07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
I wonder if we'll get those extra tracks that Andy found after the release of the expanded edition of Diana Ross '76 album. I'm excited to hear those. Plus I wonder if they'll give Baby It's Me the same treatment they gave Diana Ross '76 with the entire album on the second disc with different vocals and remixes.

marybrewster
07-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I wonder if we'll get those extra tracks that Andy found after the release of the expanded edition of Diana Ross '76 album. I'm excited to hear those. Plus I wonder if they'll give Baby It's Me the same treatment they gave Diana Ross '76 with the entire album on the second disc with different vocals and remixes.

Brad-

Do you recall how many tracks Andy mentioned that they discovered from this "DR" session? I ask because, Motown released "Diana Ross" February 10, 1976 and "Baby, It's Me" on September 16, 1977. You'd think with a year and a half between original material releases that there would have been well more than 10 tracks recorded, the 10 tracks that made it onto "Baby". NOTE: I say "original material" as Motown released two albums on Diana between "DR" and "Baby": a greatest hits album and a live album.

marybrewster
07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
And just an FYI: for those curious, the five albums Motown released in 1977 were:

Live at the London Palladium - Marvin Gaye
Baby It's Me - Diana Ross
Looking Back - Anthology - Stevie Wonder
Mandré - Mandré
Big Time - Smokey Robinson

ivyfield
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I remember in 1974 reading in Black Echoes magazine here in the UK that Richard Perry was working with Jean & Lynda. I never asked either of them about that. I'll check with Lynda tonight and update this.

marybrewster
07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
I remember in 1974 reading in Black Echoes magazine here in the UK that Richard Perry was working with Jean & Lynda. I never asked either of them about that. I'll check with Lynda tonight and update this.

That's a bit of news! Maybe I'm just pulling this out of my a$$, but wasn't Flo Ballard supposed to join Jean and Lynda? Wouldn't THAT have been something?

marv2
07-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Were there ANY big, successful charting albums from Motown around this time? I mentioned above, Stevie had two big singles that same year, but what else was going on within the company at this time? I just think this happens to be one of those over looked treasures.

The Commodores album-"The Commodores" and "Commodores Live". They ruled Motown then.

marv2
07-11-2012, 11:26 AM
And just an FYI: for those curious, the five albums Motown released in 1977 were:

Live at the London Palladium - Marvin Gaye
Baby It's Me - Diana Ross
Looking Back - Anthology - Stevie Wonder
Mandré - Mandré
Big Time - Smokey Robinson

You left off two of Motown's biggest selling albums released in 1977, "The Commodores" and "Commodores Live". Both made it to #3 on the US Pop Charts.

BayouMotownMan
07-11-2012, 04:04 PM
High Inergy's debut lp also came out in 1977 and was a big hit. There were many Motown lps in 77. I seem to think Thelma and Jerry came out that year? By this time Motown was putting out products that wasn't selling, like Dynamic Supreriors, GC Cameron, Syreeta, etc

bradsupremes
07-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Brad-

Do you recall how many tracks Andy mentioned that they discovered from this "DR" session? I ask because, Motown released "Diana Ross" February 10, 1976 and "Baby, It's Me" on September 16, 1977. You'd think with a year and a half between original material releases that there would have been well more than 10 tracks recorded, the 10 tracks that made it onto "Baby". NOTE: I say "original material" as Motown released two albums on Diana between "DR" and "Baby": a greatest hits album and a live album.

I remember Andy saying something about 4 tracks that were recorded during the Diana Ross '76 sessions that he discovered after the expanded edition was released. I want to say they were produced by Jeffrey Bowen. Even though they fit within the time frame for Diana Ross '76, I assumed they will be included on the Baby It's Me expanded edition.

Jimi LaLumia
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I was lucky enough, as a writer, to be on Motown reviewers mailing list, as I was already writing for a number of NY music magazines, so I got ALL those albums mentioned above, but none, except The Commodores, did anything ,in sales or airplay, worth talking about; I started recieving free Motown promos around the time of THE MOTOWN STORY 10 lp box set with the radio interview clips; I was thrilled when THAT showed up in the mail..I still have many of the white label Motown lps and the color vinyl promo 7 inch singles..
and The Commodores succeeded, I thought, based on r&b radio's reaction to the actual songs and instant fan reaction, not so much any special promotions that Motown did..

marv2
07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
The Commodores scored big.....three times in 1977 with "Easy", "Brick House" and "Too Hot To Trot"!

marybrewster
07-12-2012, 09:04 AM
My apologies for my incorrect information regarding releases in 1977. I pulled the information off the internet, which obviously was wrong.

Funny though, you look at the Motown releases in 1977 versus the releases in 1967 and it's like night and day. The "machine" had certainly slowed down.

Back to "Baby, It's Me": it's amazing that this LP did so well on the charts with so few singles. Also: when you look at the individuals responsible for this release, it's like a "who's who" in the industry.

Bokiluis
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
My apologies for my incorrect information regarding releases in 1977. I pulled the information off the internet, which obviously was wrong.

Funny though, you look at the Motown releases in 1977 versus the releases in 1967 and it's like night and day. The "machine" had certainly slowed down.

Back to "Baby, It's Me": it's amazing that this LP did so well on the charts with so few singles. Also: when you look at the individuals responsible for this release, it's like a "who's who" in the industry.

I always felt that had "Baby It's Me" been recorded by one of the popular white female artists of that time like Olivia Neton-John, Helen Reddy, etc., perhaps the album would have fared even better. The music critics seem to forget that The Supremes and Diana's solo career was driven by pop/soul music. Because of Diana's ethnicity, too often she is classified as "soul/R&B". Pitted against Aretha, Gladys or even Patti Labelle, Diana's music doesn't compete fairly. She is a unique creation in that she sings "pop" music as effectively as any white female singer. Until Whitney came along, Diana practically stood alone in singing pop music with soul flourishes. It seemed that Top 40 radio didn't always know what to do with Diana's music, because as a black artist, her music did not fit into the soul genre comfortably either.
Additionally, instead of looking at the pop or R&B charts, maybe it was the Adult Contemporary format that drove "Baby It's Me" album sales. She had two Top 10 A/C hits in "Gettin' Ready for Love" [[#8), "You Got It" [[#9) and Top 15 for "Top of the World". "Your Love is Good for Me" was also a Top 15 Dance hit as that genre was still developing in 1977. Though the initial tour dates for "Tour '78-'79" featured "Gettin' Ready for Love" and a couple of other "Baby It's Me" songs, the full blown tour would eventually showcase songs from "The Boss" instead. [[Besides the Universal Ampitheater date with the pink shoe and I believe the first time she popped out of the screen, I don't know how many shows she did that featured "Baby It's Me" material over "Ross '78" or "The Boss"). So I question if "Baby It's Me" ever benefited from extensive tour promotion the way "The Boss" eventually did.

reese
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I always felt that had "Baby It's Me" been recorded by one of the popular white female artists of that time like Olivia Neton-John, Helen Reddy, etc., perhaps the album would have fared even better. The music critics seem to forget that The Supremes and Diana's solo career was driven by pop/soul music. Because of Diana's ethnicity, too often she is classified as "soul/R&B". Pitted against Aretha, Gladys or even Patti Labelle, Diana's music doesn't compete fairly. She is a unique creation in that she sings "pop" music as effectively as any white female singer. Until Whitney came along, Diana practically stood alone in singing pop music with soul flourishes. It seemed that Top 40 radio didn't always know what to do with Diana's music, because as a black artist, her music did not fit into the soul genre comfortably either.
Additionally, instead of looking at the pop or R&B charts, maybe it was the Adult Contemporary format that drove "Baby It's Me" album sales. She had two Top 10 A/C hits in "Gettin' Ready for Love" [[#8), "You Got It" [[#9) and Top 15 for "Top of the World". "Your Love is Good for Me" was also a Top 15 Dance hit as that genre was still developing in 1977. Though the initial tour dates for "Tour '78-'79" featured "Gettin' Ready for Love" and a couple of other "Baby It's Me" songs, the full blown tour would eventually showcase songs from "The Boss" instead. [[Besides the Universal Ampitheater date with the pink shoe and I believe the first time she popped out of the screen, I don't know how many shows she did that featured "Baby It's Me" material over "Ross '78" or "The Boss"). So I question if "Baby It's Me" ever benefited from extensive tour promotion the way "The Boss" eventually did.

I don't think she toured to promote BABY IT'S ME. I don't remember any tv appearances either. I believe she started filming THE WIZ around the time of its release.

When I saw her in April of 1979, she was only singing two songs from the album: TOO SHY TO SAY and GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE. I recall reading a review of a 1978 show that said she also performed ALL NIGHT LOVER.

skooldem1
07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I would love to see or hear a live version of "Gettin ready for Love". Did she ever sing "Come in from the rain" or "Confide in Me" live?

Bokiluis
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=reese;116548]I don't think she toured to promote BABY IT'S ME. I don't remember any tv appearances either. I believe she started filming THE WIZ around the time of its release.

When I saw her in April of 1979, she was only singing two songs from the album: TOO SHY TO SAY and GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE. I recall reading a review of a 1978 show that said she also performed ALL NIGHT LOVER.[

The Universal Ampitheater date was reviewed in Billboard. It referred to her singing and opening the show I believe with "Gettin' Ready for Love". It also stated that one of the other production elements was the big pink satin shoe,I think she sang "Where Did We Go Wrong" then....but, I am not completely sure what song she performed in the pink shoe.

And you are right about her working on "The Wiz", IMDB list the principal shooting beginning on 3rd October 1977. "Baby It's Me" was released on 16 September 1977. If I recall correctly, the Universal Ampitheater date was in late August/early September which meant the first single, "Gettin' Ready for Love" was released the same day as the album.

reese
07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=reese;116548]I don't think she toured to promote BABY IT'S ME. I don't remember any tv appearances either. I believe she started filming THE WIZ around the time of its release.

When I saw her in April of 1979, she was only singing two songs from the album: TOO SHY TO SAY and GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE. I recall reading a review of a 1978 show that said she also performed ALL NIGHT LOVER.[

The Universal Ampitheater date was reviewed in Billboard. It referred to her singing and opening the show I believe with "Gettin' Ready for Love". It also stated that one of the other production elements was the big pink satin shoe,I think she sang "Where Did We Go Wrong" then....but, I am not completely sure what song she performed in the pink shoe.

And you are right about her working on "The Wiz", IMDB list the principal shooting beginning on 3rd October 1977. "Baby It's Me" was released on 16 September 1977. If I recall correctly, the Universal Ampitheater date was in late August/early September which meant the first single, "Gettin' Ready for Love" was released the same day as the album.

From what I've read, she performed TO LOVE AGAIN in the pink shoe. Did she play the Universal Ampitheater in 1977? I thought that engagement was in 1978, when she released ROSS,and was profiled on a Barbara Walters special.

In Taborrelli's [[sp) last book, I believe he mentioned that BABY IT'S ME was released without the benefit of a lead single. Some wanted GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE, but YOUR LOVE IS SO GOOD FOR ME was getting attention as well.

marv2
07-12-2012, 12:24 PM

There were four [[4) singles pulled from that album. That was plenty!

BayouMotownMan
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
The lp was successful and Gettin' Ready For Love was a moderate aka forgettable hit record.

George Solomon
07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I was told by Motown execs that it was Mr. Gordy who really wanted "Gettin' Ready For Love" even though radio was hot on other tracks from the album. Many at Motown believed that "Top Of The World" or "Your Love Is So Good For Me" were shoe ins for the top ten as they were being heavily requested by programmers from the beginning. It was a month before a single was released. Still, "Gettin' Ready" is a really good record that I feel should have charted higher. I think of all of her albums this one has the most varied opinions on which singles should have been pulled. "Your Love Is So Good For Me" earned Diana a Grammy nomination while it was still an album cut. That also happened for her in 1971 when "I Love You [[Call Me) from "Everything Is Everything" was nominated when three strong singles from "Surrender" were ignored. But, I guess that is another subject...

marybrewster
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I was told by Motown execs that it was Mr. Gordy who really wanted "Gettin' Ready For Love" even though radio was hot on other tracks from the album. Many at Motown believed that "Top Of The World" or "Your Love Is So Good For Me" were shoe ins for the top ten as they were being heavily requested by programmers from the beginning. It was a month before a single was released. Still, "Gettin' Ready" is a really good record that I feel should have charted higher. I think of all of her albums this one has the most varied opinions on which singles should have been pulled. "Your Love Is So Good For Me" earned Diana a Grammy nomination while it was still an album cut. That also happened for her in 1971 when "I Love You [[Call Me) from "Everything Is Everything" was nominated when three strong singles from "Surrender" were ignored. But, I guess that is another subject...

I'm always facinated with learning about the writers of these songs, especially writers I am not familar with.

"Gettin' Ready For Love" was written by Franne Golde and Tom Snow. I did a little digging and found that Franne went on to write hits for the movie soundtracks "The Bodyguard", "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "Selena" [[she wrote Selena's hit "Dreaming of You"). She also wrote for Dennis Edwards [["Don't Look Any Further") as well as Jody Watley, Pussycat Dolls, Jessica Simpson, and Christina Aguilera.

Tom, like Franne, has had an a amazing career, writing for Better Midler, Dolly Parton, Olivia Newton John, The Pointer Sisters [["He's So Shy"), Denise Williams [["Let's Hear it for the Boy") and.....Barbra Streisand!

You don't suppose the connection with Babs is the reason Berry pushed for "Gettin' Ready for Love"? :)

marybrewster
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh, and did I mention, that of all of the songs Diana Ross has recorded over the years [[thousands!), "Gettin' Ready for Love" is one of the songs that Mary Brewster has actually performed on stage? ;)

luke
07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Loved Gettin Ready for Love and Top of the World probably my fave from the album-could still give me chills!

marv2
07-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Berry made the right call in releasing "Gettin' Ready for Love". It was a great record, the best Diane has sounded in years. It may have been too sophisticated for a radio era that included the "Bay City Rollers" and "the Barkays".

Bokiluis
07-15-2012, 07:53 PM

"Too Shy to Say" was a very popular album cut. I believe it has been covered by a number of smooth jazz artists. It was the same with "Blame it On the Sun". When Diana performed during the "Here and Now" tour she said that people thought it was a new song. But I think the average Stevie fan knew that song as well.

I remain a big Stevie fan. Only having trouble connecting with "A Time to Love". There are okay moments on that album, but not one track is a necessity for me. And with each of Stevie's studio albums, I have a "must play" track or tow or three or four. But "A Time to Love" just hasn't moved me.

soulster
07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
It's a great all-around album, and a pleasant departure from the Motown machine. Producer Richard Perry did a very nice job on this album.

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Her best album but an odd first single.

There were so many songs that jumped out at you as singles........but not Gettin Ready For Love. All Night Lover was obvious; so was Top of the World.

I would not have chosen Your Love Is So Good For Me but I supposed it was another obvious single.

I would have chosen The Same Love That Made Me Laugh; and I would have chosen Lovely Day off I Love You as well.

marv2
07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
"I'm Gettin' Ready for Love" was not odd in any way. It was the best record on an album of many good songs. It was fresh. It was jazzy. It sounded like Diane was channeling the Supremes and Billie Holiday at the same time. It got a lot of airplay in our area. I am not sure if that were the case elsewhere. I do believe that once it is re-released and if it were promoted at all to the mainstream market, that you might hear it again on the radio today. It still sounds fresh!

soulster
07-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Her best album but an odd first single.

There were so many songs that jumped out at you as singles........but not Gettin Ready For Love.

I disagree. "I'm Gettin' Ready For Love" was a good choice in 1978, especially since the disco thing was in full swing. That song was also very in style with one of her other 70s hits "Last Time I Saw Him".

I also think "Your Love Is So Good For Me" was another good single. At least they both were a nice change from those sappy ballads!

stephanie
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Marv and Soulster I agree with both of you this is the Diana I wanted to hear. I like her ballads but I was tired of them too. I have no idea why Chain Reaction was not huge it was much better than Why Do Fools fall In Love! I dont know how that record sold so much! When I saw the video for Chain Reaction I just knew it would be a hit in the US although I read it was one of her biggest selling singles overseas.

marv2
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Marv and Soulster I agree with both of you this is the Diana I wanted to hear. I like her ballads but I was tired of them too. I have no idea why Chain Reaction was not huge it was much better than Why Do Fools fall In Love! I dont know how that record sold so much! When I saw the video for Chain Reaction I just knew it would be a hit in the US although I read it was one of her biggest selling singles overseas.

Stephanie thanks and I felt the same way [[and you know how I feel about Diane....hehehehehe...). That song got my attention and made me listen to her. The way she rattled off those lyrics in rapid-fire style showed us again that she was no amateur. She was cooking and she knew it. "I'm Getting Ready for Love" was a regional hit and would have been even bigger had she toured and did television to promote it. After you hear that as the first song on the album, you are ready to settle in for a very cohesive album. That fact is what made "Baby It's Me" different from just about every album Motown released on her up to that point in the 70's. I'll say it again, Richard Perry out did himself and deserves a lot more recognition than he receives.

marv2
07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Just listen to the song LOL! She is at her all time coolest, light-headed melodic self here! This is jazz-pop or pop/jazz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbUh0KjNPQ

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
One of the big Diana hits that surprises me is Why Do Fools Fall in Love; it is a huge hit in concert and sold a lot of records........but it never comes up high amongst fan favorites.

The song that would have made this album a bigger hit was All Night Lover. I believe Rolling Stone suggested it was too much like her Supremes hits for Berry to want it out there as a single.

soulster
07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Marv and Soulster I agree with both of you this is the Diana I wanted to hear. I like her ballads but I was tired of them too.

I'd have to say Ross was too. That's why she went after producers and writers that weren't part of the Motown machine. She wanted to change up her sound. Richard Perry was the first attempt, Chic the second, and getting a new record contract with RCA was the third.

BTW, I think "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is vastly superior over "Chain Reaction". Just my opinion.

soulster
07-16-2012, 07:32 PM
"I'm Getting Ready for Love" was a regional hit and would have been even bigger had she toured and did television to promote it.

It was not a regional hit. It got up to #16 on Billboard's Soul Singles chart, #27 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles. I also heard it on the radio out here in the west.

skooldem1
07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
I think it's a great song. It is one of those examples of the singer being matched up to the right song. She is masterful and her talent shines on this track. I agree, it is a great adult collection of songs. You can pretty much play it from beginning to end. One of my favorites is "Confide in Me".

marv2
07-16-2012, 08:10 PM
It was not a regional hit. It got up to #16 on Billboard's Soul Singles chart, #27 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles. I also heard it on the radio out here in the west.

You mean it was not a regional hit out West. In the North Central/Great Lakes region, it was a hit! I don't have the charts to show you, but I have a clear memory of how well that song was received and played by various radio stations.

soulster
07-17-2012, 07:55 AM
You mean it was not a regional hit out West. In the North Central/Great Lakes region, it was a hit! I don't have the charts to show you, but I have a clear memory of how well that song was received and played by various radio stations.

If I see that it was on the Billboard charts, that means it was a national hit. A regional hit means that it was not popular anywhere else except in small areas of the country.

Jimi LaLumia
07-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Regional hits can help a record at least show up on Billboard.. during the Latin Freestyle explosion on the East Coast in the late 80's[[Cover Girls, Alisha, Sweet Sensation, SaFire, etc) many singles would be #1 in NY and the tri state area , which helped the records climb into the 80's or lower 70's on the national Hot 100 even though they weren't getting airplay hardly anywhere else.. sort of like the early Supremes singles that were big in Detroit and no where else but still managed to squeeze into the lowest regions of the Hot 100

skooldem1
07-17-2012, 10:00 AM
I had no idea that "I'm getting ready" was released as a single and that it was a "hit" .

reese
07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
I had no idea that "I'm getting ready" was released as a single and that it was a "hit" .

I didn't know how it had done on the charts until fairly recently. But I remember the song getting quite a bit of airplay when it came out. Not long before it was released, I had seen Diana in her AN EVENING WITH... show, and was anticipating the new album. When I heard GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE on the radio, I immediately went and bought the whole album. As my allowance was only $5 as month, I had to be choosy with my purchases. :-) But I wasn't disappointed.

marv2
07-17-2012, 11:09 AM
If I see that it was on the Billboard charts, that means it was a national hit. A regional hit means that it was not popular anywhere else except in small areas of the country.

That's what I meant. Thanks.

Jimi LaLumia
07-17-2012, 01:09 PM
as was probably pointed out here somewhere, "Getting Ready For Love" peaked at #27 as a single on the Billboard Hot 100, a mid sized hit, in the same chart zip code as "The Composer" or "Forever Came Today" as an example.. I don't remember MusicRadio 77 WABC NY AM playing it at all, which is a shame..but then I'm also surprised that they didn't play "Floy Joy" which went much higher nationally..

soulster
07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Regional hits can help a record at least show up on Billboard..

Yeah, but that single got into the top 20, at least on the soul chart. Regional hits usually don't make it that high up the charts. You guys should be happy it made it that high. The top 20, or even top 30 was very respectable in those days. It may not have been up to Ross's standard, but it's still respectable.

soulster
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Here's a picture of the U.S. 45:

Glenpwood
07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Ok, for inquiring minds who want to know since there's been a lot of debate of what a regional hit is.... here's the chart journey of Getting Ready For Love and the album Baby It's Me.....

"Baby It's Me" hits the Billboard 200 LP Chart a month ahead of its first single in the Issue Dated 10/8/77 at a Starred 62. It rises swiftly for the next three weeks reaching a Starred #28 the week "Gettin Ready For Love" enters the Hot 100 at a starred #85. [[11/5/77) The only song debuting higher than it that week was "As" by Stevie Wonder. In it's second week it jumps over "As" and lands at a starred #53. Getting Ready will ultimately chart higher than "As" which probably has more familiarity than Ross' single today which makes the point chart positions only mean so much at the end of the day. BIT also moves up another starred four slots to #24 on the LP chart. The next week GRFL continues its hit momentum by jumping 10 more slots to #43 and the album moves up two more places to #22. It's also noted as being a prime add on and mover over in the radio section of the magazine at WGIV Charlotte and WTGB Winston Salem. The following week is where things get interesting. For reasons unknown "Getting" loses its star and only moves up two places to #41. It is listed as a prime breakout out in the radio section in the overall Mid Atlantic Region. The album still appears healthy as it retains its star and moves to #20. It's upward momentum only slowed by two debuts above it from new albums from ELO and Kiss. Rod Stewart's Foot Loose & Fancy Free LP also exploded into the top 10 in its second week jumping over Diana. In the next issue, Baby It's Me reaches its peak position of #18 while GRFL breaks into the top 40 at #39 but still without a star. It is listed as a prime mover in the radio section though at WIFI Philadelphia moving 24-16 and TEN-Q Los Angeles 27-21. I can't find any mentions of the single after this so it makes me think it charted on a lot of playlists but wasn't a hot breakout in any particular section of the country. That doesn't mean certain stations didn't place it high but the theory that the album being out ahead of the single probably did split the airplay into too many different cuts. In the next issue dated 12/10/77 Getting Ready finally regains its star moving up four places to #35 while the album holds at #18. The next weeks chart 12/17 has a full page ad hyping Getting Ready and its bullets in all three trade charts of the time, with its position in Billboard being the highest at #33. The ad is placed next to the LP chart but no mention of its position in it since this is the week it falls from its peak down to #26. The next week the album regains its star and moves back up two slots to #24 in the busy Holiday giving season. The single breaks the top thirty finally at #29 where its freezes for the next week as Billboard didn't publish a chart that week. The album holds steady at #24 as well those two weeks. In the first published issue of 1978, Getting Ready For Love finally crests at #27 which it holds for two weeks before dropping to #55, then #67, then off the chart. The LP also falls off the cliff during this time. It holds for a final week at #24 the week Getting Ready peaks but then falls to #39 as the single holds at its peak, then quickly vanishes as well moving down #68-#90- then only charts for two weeks after Getting Ready vanishes going #142-#190 Out. The follow up singles fail to get it back onto the charts so that explains why Motown likely gave up after three singles. A shame since Baby It's Me really is a masterwork.

Chart Bonuses: The only Motown album charing higher than Baby It's Me when it peaked was the Commodores Live LP. If the albums younger to the chart were removed above Baby it would've been a Top 10 album peaking at #8. If you apply the same youth rule to Getting Ready For Love it would've been a top 20 hit peaking at #19. All this and more can be found in the old issues of Billboard listed on Google books.

soulster
07-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Cool chart-riding history, Glen!

Jimi LaLumia
07-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I actually own the expensive [[100 bucks each) full size, hard bound Record Research books of the entire week by week Billboard Hot 100 charts for the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's, so I went and looked at this journey you described for the single before I posted my #27 post.. good, thorough job.. I get lost in those books for hours at a time..

Bokiluis
07-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Ok, for inquiring minds who want to know since there's been a lot of debate of what a regional hit is.... here's the chart journey of Getting Ready For Love and the album Baby It's Me.....

"Baby It's Me" hits the Billboard 200 LP Chart a month ahead of its first single in the Issue Dated 10/8/77 at a Starred 62. It rises swiftly for the next three weeks reaching a Starred #28 the week "Gettin Ready For Love" enters the Hot 100 at a starred #85. [[11/5/77) The only song debuting higher than it that week was "As" by Stevie Wonder. In it's second week it jumps over "As" and lands at a starred #53. Getting Ready will ultimately chart higher than "As" which probably has more familiarity than Ross' single today which makes the point chart positions only mean so much at the end of the day. BIT also moves up another starred four slots to #24 on the LP chart. The next week GRFL continues its hit momentum by jumping 10 more slots to #43 and the album moves up two more places to #22. It's also noted as being a prime add on and mover over in the radio section of the magazine at WGIV Charlotte and WTGB Winston Salem. The following week is where things get interesting. For reasons unknown "Getting" loses its star and only moves up two places to #41. It is listed as a prime breakout out in the radio section in the overall Mid Atlantic Region. The album still appears healthy as it retains its star and moves to #20. It's upward momentum only slowed by two debuts above it from new albums from ELO and Kiss. Rod Stewart's Foot Loose & Fancy Free LP also exploded into the top 10 in its second week jumping over Diana. In the next issue, Baby It's Me reaches its peak position of #18 while GRFL breaks into the top 40 at #39 but still without a star. It is listed as a prime mover in the radio section though at WIFI Philadelphia moving 24-16 and TEN-Q Los Angeles 27-21. I can't find any mentions of the single after this so it makes me think it charted on a lot of playlists but wasn't a hot breakout in any particular section of the country. That doesn't mean certain stations didn't place it high but the theory that the album being out ahead of the single probably did split the airplay into too many different cuts. In the next issue dated 12/10/77 Getting Ready finally regains its star moving up four places to #35 while the album holds at #18. The next weeks chart 12/17 has a full page ad hyping Getting Ready and its bullets in all three trade charts of the time, with its position in Billboard being the highest at #33. The ad is placed next to the LP chart but no mention of its position in it since this is the week it falls from its peak down to #26. The next week the album regains its star and moves back up two slots to #24 in the busy Holiday giving season. The single breaks the top thirty finally at #29 where its freezes for the next week as Billboard didn't publish a chart that week. The album holds steady at #24 as well those two weeks. In the first published issue of 1978, Getting Ready For Love finally crests at #27 which it holds for two weeks before dropping to #55, then #67, then off the chart. The LP also falls off the cliff during this time. It holds for a final week at #24 the week Getting Ready peaks but then falls to #39 as the single holds at its peak, then quickly vanishes as well moving down #68-#90- then only charts for two weeks after Getting Ready vanishes going #142-#190 Out. The follow up singles fail to get it back onto the charts so that explains why Motown likely gave up after three singles. A shame since Baby It's Me really is a masterwork.

Chart Bonuses: The only Motown album charing higher than Baby It's Me when it peaked was the Commodores Live LP. If the albums younger to the chart were removed above Baby it would've been a Top 10 album peaking at #8. If you apply the same youth rule to Getting Ready For Love it would've been a top 20 hit peaking at #19. All this and more can be found in the old issues of Billboard listed on Google books.

Great chart analysis!

I think it should also be noted that Adult Contemporary airplay drove single and album sales. The more than respectable #18 on the album chart was supported by two Top 10 A/C singles. "Getting' Ready for Love" peaked at #8 A/C and "You Got It" peaked at #9. "Your Love is So Good for Me" made it to the Top 15 on the then just developing dance charts. Dance Radio stations hit their stride around 1978-79. Most major cities had at least one dance oriented station. Since these were usually heavily populated areas, it meant that more people potentially heard that song than we probably realized. Billboard Dance Club Play is usually hard to gauge its impact w/o the benefit of some dance radio stations. In the late 70s, while "Saturday Night Fever" reigned with multiple hit singles, it was dance radio that drove a lot of it. Billboard then began using Soundscan research after 1990-91. It was now much easier to correlate the impact of club play because CD5s and 12 inches sold briskly. Finally, Billboard did eventually factor in dance radio play once there were more major stations like WKTU in New York.
Adult Contemporary radio has the ability to drive sales on artists like Diana and/or the late Whitney Houston. So while "Gettiin' Ready for Love" slowed at Top 40 radio, Adult Contemporary radio had the potential to keep a record alive. T40 plus A/C play could not be dismissed on "Baby It's Me" album sales.
[[FYI, dance radio AirPlay alone tends to be more "lifestyle" than reactionary. Case in point, Whitney Houston's dance mix of "Try it on my Own" was a #1 played record on WKTU in New York, but, did not affect measurable single sales. Whitney's dance play on the "My Love is Your Love" album, dramatically changed the impact on album sales. So it is sometimes difficult to consistently sell most albums with only dance play. Whereas, Adult Contemporary play can lengthen the selling life of a record.
"Baby It's Me" had a good mixture of solid Adult Contemporary airplay, moderate Top 40 play and some dance play.

But I return to my original belief that because of Diana's ethnicity, Top 40 radio has a tough time giving a record is due. If "Baby It's Me" were recorded by Striesand or Celine Dion, it's prognosis would have been even brighter.

soulster
07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
But I return to my original belief that because of Diana's ethnicity, Top 40 radio has a tough time giving a record is due. If "Baby It's Me" were recorded by Striesand or Celine Dion, it's prognosis would have been even brighter.

How do you explain Donna Summer's chart success during this time?

Jimi LaLumia
07-18-2012, 09:55 AM
GREAT question... the reality is that Donna Summer was ,at that point, Top 40's version of what Diana Ross had been earlier in the decade,.... the wheel turns at Top 40 and time marches on, especially as Top 40 is always aimed at the young..

marv2
07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
How do you explain Donna Summer's chart success during this time?

Exactly! There were other African American female artists having hits in 1977 like Natalie Cole, the Emotions, Thelma Houston, Marilyn McCoo [[with Billy Davis), Deneice Williams, etc.

marv2
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
GREAT question... the reality is that Donna Summer was ,at that point, Top 40's version of what Diana Ross had been earlier in the decade,.... the wheel turns at Top 40 and time marches on, especially as Top 40 is always aimed at the young..

That is true on several points. However, some of the women I cite in my last post were clearly in the same age rage as Diana Ross. I don't think we could use age or ethnicity as reasons for Ross' records not charting higher during that time.

Glenpwood
07-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi Jimi,

I have all those books too and they are a very essential tool to putting things back in their historical context. There are a lot of variables to look at so you can spend days exploring various angles.

Getting Ready For Love really is an AC based product which is why it did so well there and not so much at Top 40 which was really getting more and more uptempo/Disco in those final weeks of 1977. Saturday Night Fever was beginning to explode so softer leaning songs were having a harder time making headway at Top 40. A lot of similar quality songs that year like "Sam" by Olivia Newton John and "All You Get Is A Love Song" by The Carpenters were huge AC smashes but only charted in the 20's and 30's. I did notice when looking at the radio section last night for "Getting Ready" that at the same time The Carpenters sharp left turn single "Calling Occupants On Interplantery Craft" was listed over and over as breaking out in different markets but charted even worse than GRFL did, stalling in the 30's. The only core AC act that kept going Top 10 on the Hot 100 consistently during that era was Barry Manilow. Again, it's a theory we can slice and dice a hundred different ways. Perhaps if they gone first with "Your Love Is So Good For Me" things might have been different but perhaps Berry thought a softer song sounded better during the Holiday/Winter months.

skooldem1
07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Lets not lose sight of the fact that this single DID chart. It did well, so I don't understand the "race" thing. It should also be noted, that maybe with the exception of Donna Summer, Diana Ross had more hit singles than all those listed. Race wasn't a factor when she hit number one 6 times. Some records just do better than others.

ejluther
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I thought the point was perhaps it was harder at the time for a woman of color to have a hit in something other than dance/disco/pop - "Baby It's Me" is solidly in the Adult Contemporary/Pop/Jazz category while someone like Donna Summer was still very much dance and disco oriented...

Glenpwood
07-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Don't forget that the only ballad Donna Summer released around this period was "Cant We Just Sit Down & Talk It Over" which was a moderate R&B hit like GRFL but totally stiffed on the Pop side. Top 40 DJ's flipped the record and made "I Feel Love" the hit....

marybrewster
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
As I mentioned way above, I have always considered "Gettin' Ready For Love" to have more of a jazz feel, similar to Natalie Cole's "Mr. Melody".

Interestingly, "Mr. Melody" was taken from Natalie's LP "Natalie", which also includes a cover of "Good Morning Heartache".

RossHolloway
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Did Diana ever perform the song on television during this time frame?

marybrewster
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM

According to JRT, "RGFL" was perfromed during her HBO concert [[was this around 1980?), but was later edited out.

reese
07-18-2012, 02:06 PM

During the 1978 Barbara Walters special, a brief snippet was shown of her performing it during her Universal Ampitheatre concert. But I don't remember any tv performances of the BABY IT'S ME material during its release.

reese
07-18-2012, 02:09 PM
According to JRT, "RGFL" was perfromed during her HBO concert [[was this around 1980?), but was later edited out.

Makes sense. The HBO concert was filmed in September 1979. I think it began airing early in 1980. GRFL stayed in the act until at least 1980. I used to have a tape of her 1980 Circle Star Theatre concert, and she performed it right after TOO SHY TO SAY.

Motown Andy
07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Hello everyone, so glad everyone is excited about Baby It's Me, what a great thread. No release date yet, but it is still in the works. As for Gettin' Ready For Love, yes, Diana did perform it during the recording of the HBO special, but it was cut out of the aired video. She does it really fast, but really well. Hope we can get it into the hands of the fans soon.

skooldem1
07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Oh Andy. You have opened up a can of worms. How/where did you see this? Is it in the vaults? Do you have access to the video vaults now? I noticed that when she sang "home" she said something about "my SONGS from the Wiz". Did she sing more than one song from the Wiz?

RossHolloway
07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
So I imagine that if Diana had performed the song a few times on tv: American Bandstand, J. Carson, Soul Train...the song may have cracked the top 10 on the pop and r&b charts. Sounds to me like there wasn't too much promotion put behind the song - outside of maybe some print ads..

marv2
07-18-2012, 03:39 PM
So I imagine that if Diana had performed the song a few times on tv: American Bandstand, J. Carson, Soul Train...the song may have cracked the top 10 on the pop and r&b charts. Sounds to me like there wasn't too much promotion put behind the song - outside of maybe some print ads..

Very little. It was like one day it was on the radio out of the blue.

soulster
07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Exactly! There were other African American female artists having hits in 1977 like Natalie Cole, the Emotions, Thelma Houston, Marilyn McCoo [[with Billy Davis), Deneice Williams, etc.

It was a great time for Black artists.

soulster
07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I thought the point was perhaps it was harder at the time for a woman of color to have a hit in something other than dance/disco/pop - "Baby It's Me" is solidly in the Adult Contemporary/Pop/Jazz category while someone like Donna Summer was still very much dance and disco oriented...

BIM is a solid pop album with a little funk thrown in. The race angle still doesn't hold water because of Natalie Cole. She was doing the exact, same type of album as BIM, and her "Thankful" and "Unpredictable" albums both outsold Ross that year. Face it: we like BIM, but it just didn't do that well commercially.

soulster
07-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Yup. Promotion, or the lack of promotion can make all the difference in the world. But, in this case, I distinctly remember hearing it played on American Bandstand during late 1977/early 1978.

marv2
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
It was a great time for Black artists.

....and it was heaven for Black Music lovers. I bought so many albums during that period, I lost count.

marv2
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Yup. Promotion, or the lack of promotion can make all the difference in the world. But, in this case, I distinctly remember hearing it played on American Bandstand during late 1977/early 1978.

I just remember it being on the radio in morning getting ready for school and evenings during the great Blizzard of '78! LOL!

smark21
07-18-2012, 09:10 PM

I like the point you make about “As” enduring as a well known song despite not being a huge hit during its initial release.

Question: What songs were above Getting Ready for Love the week it reached its chart peak? I wonder how many are classics of some sort and how many are pretty much forgotten.

I like Getting Ready for Love, but I can see why it wasn’t a smash. But Baby It’s Me is an excellent album—good set of songs, cohesive production and fine performances by Diana Ross.

smark21
07-18-2012, 09:11 PM

And sometimes all the promotion in the world can’t force the public to turn out in droves to buy an album.

marv2
07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
I like the point you make about “As” enduring as a well known song despite not being a huge hit during its initial release.

Question: What songs were above Getting Ready for Love the week it reached its chart peak? I wonder how many are classics of some sort and how many are pretty much forgotten.

I like Getting Ready for Love, but I can see why it wasn’t a smash. But Baby It’s Me is an excellent album—good set of songs, cohesive production and fine performances by Diana Ross.

It is a bit strange [[but in a good way), that there was an abundance of music released in 1977-78 that are now considered classics from artists as diverse as Chuck Mangione to the O'Jays, to the Bee Gees. If you get the chance, just browse through the charts from roughly Aug. 1977 through July 1978.......whew!!!

ejluther
07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Face it: we like BIM, but it just didn't do that well commercially.
Duly noted and faced! ;) Perhaps the deluxe release will get it some overdue appreciation...

jobeterob
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Commercially, BIM was no Diana Ross 1976, Diana 1980, or Lady Sings the Blues. But it may have been as successful as The Boss ~ chartwise it was, but it has never been recognized as that successful for some reason.

But as time moves along things change; for example, The Wiz was regarded as a fairly catastrophic Dianafailure in 1978 and now it's her most popular movie, constantly being repeated, reissued and often in the Top 100 on some of the DVD charts.

I can't quite see that happening for BIM ~ but commercial and critical success are often different.

thommg
07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh, heck. I might as well throw in my two cents on Baby It's Me. I always felt it was one of Diana's more cohesive, adult records. Richard Perry did a great job providing her with arrangements that really suited her style and voice. Of the solo years, I think only Ashford and Simpson did better in really showcasing Diana. That being said, I this Getting Ready For Love was too slick for a single release. It seems great for the opening number of her act or as an album track but not so much for radio. The lyrics run by too fast to really get them and I always feel that the first thing about a single should be the ability to sing along while driving in the car. [[Oops, I think my 1960s are showing!). For my money, the killer track on the cd [[filled with many killer tracks) was The Same Love That Made Me Laugh. I think Diana just shines on that song.

Glenpwood
07-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Ok, the 28 Songs above GRFL the two weeks it peaked at #27 were....

How Deep Is Your Love - Bee Gees
Baby Come Back - Player
Blue Bayou - Linda Ronstadt
Back In Love Again - L.T.D.
Here You Come Again - Dolly Parton
You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone
Slip Slidin' Away - Paul Simon
Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch
You're In My Heart - Rod Stewart
Hey Deanie - Shaun Cassidy
Come Sail Away - Styx
You Can't Turn Me Off - High Inergy
We Are The Champions - Queen
Runaround Sue - Leif Garrett
It's So Easy - Linda Ronstadt
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle
Short People - Randy Newman
Just The Way You Are - Billy Joel
Serpentine Fire - Earh Wind & Fire
Turn To Stone - ELO
I Go Crazy - Paul Davis
My way - Elvis Presley
Love Is Thicker Than Water -Andy Gibb
The Way I Feel Tonight - Bay City Rollers
Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
Dance Dance dance Yousah Tousah - Chic
Desiree - Neil Diamond
Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

Bonus: The albums above Baby It's Me the two weeks it peaked at #18

Linda Ronstadt - Simple Dreams
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Steely Dan - Aja
Commodores - Live
Rod Stewart - Footloose & Fancy Free
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
Kansas - Point Of No Return
Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life
Rose Royce - In Full Bloom
Steve Martin - Lets Get Small
Santana - Moonflower
ELO - Out Of the Blue
Barry White - Songs For Someone You Love
Crystal Gayle - We Must Believe in Magic
Kiss - Alive II
Foreigner - Foreigner
Elvis Presley - Elvis In Concert
Earth Wind & Fire - All N All
Queen - News Of The World
Bob Welch - News Of The World

Bonus Bonus: The albums that surged ahead of Baby in the Xmas rush the week it fell from its peak to #26

Boz Scaggs - Down Two Then Left
Olivia Newton John - Greatest Hits
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Neil Diamond - I'm Glad Your Here With Me Tonight
Shaun Cassidy - Born Late
Elton John - Greatest Hits Volume Two
Styx - Grand Illusion
Randy Newman - Little Criminals
Beatles - Love Songs

Definetely shows how competitive the LP market was that holiday season.....

marv2
07-19-2012, 11:37 PM

Baby Come Back - Player
Come Sail Away - Styx
Turn To Stone - ELO
I Go Crazy - Paul Davis
My way - Elvis Presley
Desiree - Neil Diamond
Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Steely Dan - Aja
Commodores - Live
Santana - Moonflower
ELO - Out Of the Blue
Kiss - Alive II
Foreigner - Foreigner

Bonus Bonus: The albums that surged ahead of Baby in the Xmas rush the week it fell from its peak to #26

Styx - Grand Illusion
Beatles - Love Songs

It also shows that I was right and my memory hasn't failed me yet! LOL! The 28 songs listed that came in above "I'm Getting Ready for Love" are all pretty much considered "classics" now [[with the exception of perhaps Hey Deanie - Shaun Cassidy). There was truly a lot great music being released at that time which indeed make things a lot more competitive than today.

Glenpwood
07-20-2012, 10:13 AM
The only ones on the singles list I would say are truly lost to time [[and oldies radio) are the singles from Shawn Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, and Leif Garrett and that has more to do with their association with being teen heartthrob acts than anything else. Debby Boone's hit lives on more by reputation for being the longest running Number One singles of the 1970's than airplay since it doesn't test well at all since it got burned out by programmers back then so you never hear it. I have heard the Bob Welch and High Inergy often on Sirus XM as pop lost oldies but not on regular radio. The Randy Newman single is now considered too un-PC these days to get rotated much. The ELO, Neil Diamond, & Earth Wind & Fire singles are the equivalent of "Nothing But Heartaches" or "LILAIIMH" in their artists catalogs. Great songs but get passed over by radio to rotate the bigger hits they had like "Strange Magic," "Sweet Caroline," or "Shining Star" since those have higher familiarity test scores. That same argument can be made for GRFL that it gets passed up to play "Touch Me In The Morning" or "Upside Down" instead.

marv2
07-20-2012, 11:09 AM
My point is that most people that were around during that time would immediately recognize 90% of the songs on that list today! Hardly any of them are played on commercial radio in the New York City Metro today. Commercial radio here is probably the absolute worst!

Here is a great station that tries to emulate the legendary CKLW [[the broadcast from the old studios of the Big 8!) If you want to hear some good variety of classic oldies, check them out:

http://www.am580radio.com/

soulster
07-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Baby Come Back - Player
Come Sail Away - Styx
Turn To Stone - ELO
I Go Crazy - Paul Davis
My way - Elvis Presley
Desiree - Neil Diamond
Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Steely Dan - Aja
Commodores - Live
Santana - Moonflower
ELO - Out Of the Blue
Kiss - Alive II
Foreigner - Foreigner

Styx - Grand Illusion
Beatles - Love Songs

Hah! I have every one of those singles and most of those albums!

Jimi LaLumia
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Hah! I have every one of those singles and most of those albums!

I think I have ALL of those singles,too, from back in the day when we collected 45 rpms, big time!!

marv2
07-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I think I have ALL of those singles,too, from back in the day when we collected 45 rpms, big time!!

Like I said they are all classics now. Back then we could listen to the radio for hours because there was so much good music out there.

smark21
07-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks Glenpwood. There are a lot of sappy songs and cheesy songs on that chart. Perhaps Too Shy to Say should have been the single? It’s not cheesy, but the sentiments in the lyrics are certainly syrupy enough. And certainly during this particular week there wasn’t much of a Black woman presence on the pop charts.

Glenpwood
07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
The curse of "Come In From The Rain"?

Another oddity I never realized until this weekend even though I've owned all three CD's for years. "Come In From The Rain" was on three different albums that all topped out a virtually the same position on The Billboard LP's chart. "Come In From The Rain" was originally released by it's author Melissa Manchester on her 1976 LP "Better Days & Happy Endings" which topped out at #24. Here's where it gets interesting. The next April the Captain & Tennille make it the title track of their third A&M disc which topped out at #18 with the single faring worse, stalling at #61 on the Hot 100. A poor showing after two years of big hits and it was a follow up to a top 20 single, "Can't Stop Dancin.'" That fall Diana records her version of it for Baby It's Me and as we know that LP stalled at #18 as well. In 1982 Melissa revisited the song with a bolder new version for her "Hey Ricky" LP and it gets released as a follow up to "You Should Hear How She Talks Abot You" but misses the Hot 100. The LP itself almost equals Baby It's Me & the C&T's showings peaking one position lower at #19.

The simililarities of all three albums boasting one top 40 hit single and peaking virtually the same amused me so I thought I'd share....

Jaap
07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi all,

After being away from this forum for several years, it is nice to come back and see so many interesting discussions going on… so hello again!

On the topic of Baby It’s Me, it surprised me to see that on a 1978 episode of The Muppet Show, with special guest Raquel Welch, Welch sang two songs of the Baby It’s Me album: the title track Baby It’s Me [[first section of the show) and Confide In Me [[second section of the show). Does anybody has more information about this?

Clip One, Baby It’s Me starts at 2:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OI7iwFGNw

Clip Two, Confide In Me starts at 5:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFHKEuSp59s

cheers,

Jaap
Amsterdam

reese
07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

After being away from this forum for several years, it is nice to come back and see so many interesting discussions going on… so hello again!

On the topic of Baby It’s Me, it surprised me to see that on a 1978 episode of The Muppet Show, with special guest Raquel Welch, Welch sang two songs of the Baby It’s Me album: the title track Baby It’s Me [[first section of the show) and Confide In Me [[second section of the show). Does anybody has more information about this?

Clip One, Baby It’s Me starts at 2:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OI7iwFGNw

Clip Two, Confide In Me starts at 5:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFHKEuSp59s

cheers,

Jaap
Amsterdam

No further info on my part. But I do remember seeing that Muppets episode and thinking that Raquel must have really liked the BABY IT'S ME album. I think she might have performed songs from it on another tv show as well.

carlo
07-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I remember seeing that episode of the Muppets as well and always wondered the same thing...

Glenpwood
09-19-2012, 12:23 AM
RELEASE DATE! [[Sort of )

Baby Its Me is being released November 28th according to CD Japan but not the expanded version we've all been waiting for, its a SMH-CD carboard sleeve straight reissue with no bonuses. Lets hope this means Universal will not undercut the expanded versions sales by putting out Baby Expanded before 11/28. They are also listing Ross 78 which has never made it to CD as coming that day as well.... [[all ten Ross solo LPs appear to be involved much like the Supremes reissues earlier this summer)

grapevine
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
...Funny though, you look at the Motown releases in 1977 versus the releases in 1967 and it's like night and day. The "machine" had certainly slowed down...

...1977 was a very busy year for Motown releases...

An Evening With Diana Ross [[Live!) Diana Ross
Deep In My Soul SmokeyRobinson
Down To Love Town TheOriginals
Gettin' Ready MichaelQuatro
Keep It Comin' ValerieSimpson
Moods And Grooves TheJu-Par Universal Orchestra
One To One Syreeta
Suite For A Single Girl JerryButler
The Sundowners WendelAdkins
You're What's Missing In My Life GC Cameron
Class Reunion DelaneyBramlett & Friends
Live! At The London Palladium Marvin Gaye
Motown's Preferred Stock - Stock Option 1 Various Artists
Motown's Preferred Stock - Stock Option 2 Various Artists
Motown's Preferred Stock - Stock Option 3 Various Artists
Totally Táta TátaVega
Commodores TheCommodores
In Good Taste Flavor
Mandré Mandré
Songs Of Love Charlene
Give And Take TheDynamic Superiors
Havin' A House Party WillieHutch
In My Stride DavidRuffin
Thelma & Jerry ThelmaHouston & Jerry Butler
Albert Finney's Album AlbertFinney
Big Time [[Soundtrack) SmokeyRobinson
Rarearth RareEarth
Country Days And Country Nights Pat Boone
Feel The Fire JermaineJackson
Greatest Hits TheMiracles
Kenny Seratt KennySeratt
Slick EddieKendricks
Sly Slick And Wicked SlySlick & Wicked
The Country Side Of Pat Boone Pat Boone
This Is Dorsey Burnette DorseyBurnette
I Sing My Songs For You Phillip Jarrell
Rich Love, Poor Love Syreeta& GC Cameron
Baby It's Me DianaRoss
Love Away Her Memory Tonight Jerry Naylor
New Old-Fashioned Love Ronnie Dove
Porter Sings Porter PorterJordan
Presenting Bob And Penny Bob & Penny
The Devil In Me ThelmaHouston
Turnin' On HighInergy
A Little Love SusanAllanson
Commodores - Live! TheCommodores
Doug Momary DougMomary
It All Comes Out In My Song Jerry Butler
Livin' In The Country RonnieDove
Please Take Me Back Larry Groce
Tucker And Schoonmaker Rick Tucker& Lloyd Schoonmaker
Wendell Adkins Wendel Adkins
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life Marty Mitchell
Looking Back [[Anthology) Stevie Wonder

:)

carlo
09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the info, Glenpwood! I wish I could buy all of those cardboard sleeve reissues being released. I guess I will only buy Ross [[1978), since it's the only one I don't have on CD and I can't afford to buy all of these albums yet again! :) Too bad they aren't reissuing her live albums "Live at Caesar's Palace" and "An Evening With Diana Ross" in Japan as well.

carlo
09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
...Those cardboard sleeve reissues are over $30 each. Ouch!

soulster
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
...1977 was a very busy year for Motown releases...

An Evening With Diana Ross [[Live!) Diana Ross
Deep In My Soul SmokeyRobinson
Down To Love Town TheOriginals
Gettin' Ready MichaelQuatro
Keep It Comin' ValerieSimpson
Moods And Grooves TheJu-Par Universal Orchestra
One To One Syreeta
Suite For A Single Girl JerryButler
You're What's Missing In My Life GC Cameron
Class Reunion DelaneyBramlett & Friends
Live! At The London Palladium Marvin Gaye
Motown's Preferred Stock - Stock Option 1 Various Artists
Motown's Preferred Stock - Stock Option 2 Various Artists
Motown's Preferred Stock - Stock Option 3 Various Artists
Totally Táta TátaVega
Commodores TheCommodores
In Good Taste Flavor
Mandré Mandré
Songs Of Love Charlene
Give And Take TheDynamic Superiors
Havin' A House Party WillieHutch
In My Stride DavidRuffin
Thelma & Jerry ThelmaHouston & Jerry Butler
Albert Finney's Album AlbertFinney
Big Time [[Soundtrack) SmokeyRobinson
Rarearth RareEarth
Country Days And Country Nights Pat Boone
Feel The Fire JermaineJackson
Greatest Hits TheMiracles
Kenny Seratt KennySeratt
Slick EddieKendricks
Sly Slick And Wicked SlySlick & Wicked
The Country Side Of Pat Boone Pat Boone
This Is Dorsey Burnette DorseyBurnette
I Sing My Songs For You Phillip Jarrell
Rich Love, Poor Love Syreeta& GC Cameron
Baby It's Me DianaRoss
Love Away Her Memory Tonight Jerry Naylor
New Old-Fashioned Love Ronnie Dove
Porter Sings Porter PorterJordan
Presenting Bob And Penny Bob & Penny
The Devil In Me ThelmaHouston
Turnin' On HighInergy
A Little Love SusanAllanson
Commodores - Live! TheCommodores
Doug Momary DougMomary
It All Comes Out In My Song Jerry Butler
Livin' In The Country RonnieDove
Please Take Me Back Larry Groce
Tucker And Schoonmaker Rick Tucker& Lloyd Schoonmaker
Wendell Adkins Wendel Adkins
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life Marty Mitchell
Looking Back [[Anthology) Stevie Wonder

:)

Wow! I only own three of those!

davidh
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Baby Its Me is one of my favorite DR albums.love it.
hmmm,if Ross 78 comes out on cd ,i may have to pick that one up as well

carole cucumber
09-19-2012, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=grapevine;124158]...1977 was a very busy year for Motown releases...

However

http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/mc/mc.html

Several of the titles quoted were not released commercially.

motown_marc
04-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I just read this on Andy Skurow’s Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/home.php#!/andy.skurow?hc_location=timeline [[http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/andy.skurow?hc_location=timeline)
Last night was the opening of Motown The Musical. As promised, here are some details. It was incredible. As I approached the street heading towards the red carpet, the screams were insane. Diana Ross had arrived and was taking pictures with Smokey and Mr. Gordy. The people who walked the carpet was solid A list, from Motown Royalty HDH, Gladys Knight, Ross, Robinson, and so many others. Also on the red carpet: Jane Fonda and beau Richard Perry [[who was recently interviewed by Christian John Wikane for our upcoming Diana Ross - Baby It's Me - Expanded Edition), Sting, Bono and more.
Seems like the expanded edition is on its way.

ejluther
04-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Great news!

dba
04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes I posted on Andy's wall saying the BIM news was exciting.
Of course Andy we would love any more little hints you may have . . .

Methuselah2
04-18-2013, 04:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/marybrewster/Diana-baby.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/marybrewster/Ross-1978.jpg

One thought about the cigarette-smoke cover: I remember thinking when it came out that they subsequently might have had Diana's first name added to the artwork for use as the album's front cover--perhaps thinking just "Ross" wasn't enough. The album was released as ROSS and the record itself is labeled ROSS. I thought the artwork was so much more effective without it--as is shown in the small photo of the artist's rendering on the back cover. If it was a marketing decision to have "Diana" added, it really wasn't necessary. Moreover, it detracts from the artist's beautiful and striking and original concept. I'd love to know if it was, in fact, a marketing decision. Anyone know?

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
04-22-2013, 09:33 PM
How soon is soon?

supremester
04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I have to disagree with just about everyone here - including: SURPRISE!: Marv - I don't care for this album that much. I think, next to Funny Girl and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues, it's the album that gets the least amount of spins on my turntable. I don't think it's a bad album, but nothing really compels me to grab it. My faves, Come In From The Rain and Same Love That Made Me Laugh didn't get single attention. I adore Gettin Ready For Love - until the chorus begins. I know the writer tried to "pop" it up' but this was ridiculous. That wonderful jazzy verse is light years from the chorus. I knew it wouldn't hit - how do you program THAT??? Answer: you don't. Your love Is So Good, I felt, was a run-of-the-mill, uninspired dance song that peaked at #15 dance - where it should have. Miss Ross should have kept Don't Leave Me This Way and given Your Love Is So Good to Thelma. I like the album enough to play it, but there's nothing really with an edge except the verse of Gettin Ready and maybe "Same Love" so I'm not surprised the singles failed - in fact, I'm surprised Gettin Ready hit #25. Maybe if it had been out a month before the album, the extra sales would have helped it chart better and get more adds. The success of the album always surprised me as well, but, as a follow up to the best LP of her career, I'm sure a lot of people snapped it up expecting more of the same. Their disappointment evidenced in the total lack of interest in 78's hodge podge "Ross" [[which I prefer.)

luke
04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Anyone know what Richard Perry said?

marv2
04-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Relating to this thread......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2shkk1SHI

soulster
04-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Supremester, I guess you aren't a fan of scatting.

dba
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
This is one of my four favorite 70's Diana Ross albums [[the others being Diana Ross 1970, Surrender and The Boss)and I am tapping [[patiently) for the expanded release of BIM.

Here's Getting Ready For Love for those who love the song [[like me). Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbUh0KjNPQ

soulster
04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
I like the album because it is NOT the typical Ross album.

Jaap
04-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Your love is so good for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3sQ2x10B5g

Penny
04-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Your love is so good for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3sQ2x10B5g

I fell in love to that song. I was on a dance floor in Honolulu, Hawaii and "Your Love Is So Good For Me" came on. It was magic.

Penny:D

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Any official news yet?

JohnnyB
05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=aarondillon2011@gmail.com;163655]Any official news yet?[/QUOTE
I've been so excited for this release, more so than for any Diana Ross or Supremes expanded collection. I hope it's coming soon!!

dba
05-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Also one of my favorites and I am tapping [[patiently) for any news.

davidh
07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I was hoping to get some info on this album by now, I was told by Andy that Universal music was going thru some changes and therefore all releases were on hold. is this still the case or are they holding out on us as these r the last two Ross solo albums for Motown in the 70s?

alanbill1074
07-02-2013, 01:11 PM
It's a bummer that as soon as we get to the two Motown albums I most want to see expanded - Baby It's Me and Ross, we end up with issues. Record companies are strange beasts. Thank God the Japanese [[for once) actually spent money and re-issued something we wanted instead of firing out the same old products.

vgalindo
07-18-2013, 12:34 AM
I have bought all the Supremes and Diana Ross expanded editions and was really looking for Baby It's Me and Ross 78. Does anyone know if they are cancelled or will we one day see a release of these in the deluxe edition? Why isn't Harry, George, or Andy saying anything? An update would be wonderful.

LuvHangOva
07-18-2013, 02:04 AM
My favorite Diana Ross of all time!!!!!! Followed by Surrender. Richard Perry's vision of Diana Ross is soooo perfect.

This is the expanded reissue is THE one I've been waiting for!!

JohnnyB
07-19-2013, 12:20 PM
My favorite Diana Ross of all time!!!!!! Followed by Surrender. Richard Perry's vision of Diana Ross is soooo perfect.

This is the expanded reissue is THE one I've been waiting for!!

Ditto - I've bought each Diana/Supreme expanded edition wishing and hoping for a Baby It's Me announcement. This is the one I've been most anxious for. Andy has recently suggested on Facebook more than once that we need to reach out to Universal and request the release of BIM. Reading between the lines, perhaps the powers-that-be don't realize there is still a fan base for these releases--this is just my speculation, not a statement from Andy.
Hopefully we'll have a release by the end of the year!

pghmusiclover
07-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Ditto - I've bought each Diana/Supreme expanded edition wishing and hoping for a Baby It's Me announcement. This is the one I've been most anxious for. Andy has recently suggested on Facebook more than once that we need to reach out to Universal and request the release of BIM. Reading between the lines, perhaps the powers-that-be don't realize there is still a fan base for these releases--this is just my speculation, not a statement from Andy.
Hopefully we'll have a release by the end of the year!

How does one "reach out to Universal" these days? They are so huge that I have no idea where to write at this point. Any recommendations?

longtimefan
07-19-2013, 02:12 PM
OIbviously, something is going on becasue -- in the past -- Harry / Andy has responded to fans about such issues. Recall that the last three releases -- TCMS 12A, Martha, and Four Tops -- were delayed. While I am thankful for all of the HipO releases that have come my way over the years, I am still anxious to support them financially by buying future issues.

hwume
07-19-2013, 04:08 PM
How does one "reach out to Universal" these days? They are so huge that I have no idea where to write at this point. Any recommendations?

feel free to email us at classic.motown@umusic.com

Jimi LaLumia
07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
ANOTHER good reason for a MOTOWN CON which I suggested in a different post;
so many folks who don't do message boards, but would buy the expanded editions if they knew they existed, would go hog wild at a booth/kiosk area featuring the existing inventory that's out there... everything would be sold/gone in an instant... I'm surprised that these titles aren't made available in a kiosk situation at MOTOWN/THE MUSICAL.. I mean, c'mon people, sleeping at the wheel is soooo ungroovy..

stopinthenameoflove
07-19-2013, 08:31 PM
ANOTHER good reason for a MOTOWN CON which I suggested in a different post;
so many folks who don't do message boards, but would buy the expanded editions if they knew they existed, would go hog wild at a booth/kiosk area featuring the existing inventory that's out there... everything would be sold/gone in an instant... I'm surprised that these titles aren't made available in a kiosk situation at MOTOWN/THE MUSICAL.. I mean, c'mon people, sleeping at the wheel is soooo ungroovy..

Jimi I totally agree, if someone was going to buy a program [[programme over here) they would certainly buy a cd. The sales would be enormous!

carole cucumber
07-19-2013, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Jimi LaLumia;178327
so many folks...would buy the expanded editions if they knew they existed.....I'm surprised that these titles aren't made available in a kiosk situation at MOTOWN/THE MUSICAL.....[/QUOTE]

From the Motown The Musical official website it appears that only ''Motown the Musical [[Original Broadway Cast Recording)" is available at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.
The fact that "Motown The Musical- The Classic Songs That Inspired The Broadway Show!" is not listed leads me to believe that those in charge of merchandising do not want any other cd [[even those that feature the original artists) competing with the cast album.
Perhaps there is some sort of stipulation that has been agreed to by UMG to hold off on releasing U.S. product so as to give the cast album a chance to grow in sales.
That may be one of the factors that has influenced the delay of the expanded edition of "Baby It's Me".

davidh
07-19-2013, 10:29 PM
hopefully we will get some news ,one way or another soon.hopefully,like it'd coming late summer.......late fall.........Christmas?????

thisoldheart
07-19-2013, 10:48 PM
feel free to email us at classic.motown@umusic.com
this seems rather telling ... and not in a good way!

johnjeb
07-19-2013, 10:53 PM
How does one "reach out to Universal" these days?

With your credit card!

Buy what they have already released and they will release more.

Maybe we'll get it for the holidays. As I mentioned in the Hip-O thread I've bought several Motown titles this year that are keeping me occupied and satisfied.

longtimefan
07-20-2013, 12:21 AM
this seems rather telling ... and not in a good way!

I agree. For Harry just to tell us to "write" with no additional comment[[s) is unusual. This is not a criticism of Harry.

While I am grateful for all of the releases that we have received as customers, I fear that "things are changing" for HipO releases. I remain hopeful, however -- and ready to purchase. :-)

supremester
07-20-2013, 03:16 AM
Well, a few days ago a friend asked me to play Gettin ready For love for him. He heard it on the radio and liked it. THE RADIO??? I asked? When, 40 years ago? No, over the weekend. OK, so we played the entire album and, without any expectations, I liked it. I guess since i felt there were no hits on it, that it colored my view of the project. It's still not in my top ten, or twenty maybe, but I enjoyed it. Why are hits important? Or were? Because what happens when there are no hits???? Scatting? I'm ok with it. I love reading how much others love material that I'm soft on. The creative process is an amazing one!
Supremester, I guess you aren't a fan of scatting.

vgalindo
07-20-2013, 04:41 AM
hopefully we will get some news ,one way or another soon.hopefully,like it'd coming late summer.......late fall.........Christmas?????
I emailed Universal with the email that Harry provided. I hope it does some good. "Baby It's me" is my favorite Diana Ross album. When it was first released I couldn't stop playing it. I wore that vinyl record out. I really couldn't understand why this great album didn't have any big hits. I love every song. I do have this on cd but was really looking for for the deluxe version from Hippo Select. I wish we could just get an answer yes or no??

762rob
07-21-2013, 10:38 AM
A lot of times people involved are just not free to comment.

I know it is like this with my corporate job. Lots of stuff I'm not authorized to speak about.

longtimefan
07-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Hello everyone, so glad everyone is excited about Baby It's Me, what a great thread. No release date yet, but it is still in the works. As for Gettin' Ready For Love, yes, Diana did perform it during the recording of the HBO special, but it was cut out of the aired video. She does it really fast, but really well. Hope we can get it into the hands of the fans soon.

Posted exactly a year ago!
p.s. Thanks, Andy for all you have done as an advocate for Motown music!!

vgalindo
01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Has anyone heard anything new? Will we get any new releases in 2014? I sure hope so.

marybrewster
01-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Has anyone heard anything new? Will we get any new releases in 2014? I sure hope so.

I've been wondering the same thing. Did a little browsing on Facebook this weekend and came across this page for the "Expanded Editions":

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Diana-Ross-The-Supremes-Expanded-Editions/1408890062656296