PDA

View Full Version : 1965 roulette records lp with motown/golden world tracks how did they get them?

test

tamla617
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
i've just remembered this lp and although i didnt know at the time, it set me on the motown road!
none of the motown tracks are in dftmc files so i thought i'd post it incase anyone who collects all things motown can go looking!
this was my first record with motown tracks.i was given this lp by a neighbour when i was about 10/11.
there are some motown and golden world tracks on here.although i didnt know who marvin gaye was.i wore those tracks out,i loved them!
i didnt know that motown leased out tracks to other companies.roulette records was apparently a mafia company or backed by the mafia.was berry leaned on? give us the tracks or get a horse's head?

SR-25293 - 20 Original Winners of 1964 - Various Artists [1965] roulette records
Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
You're A Wonderful One - Marvin Gaye
My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small
Quicksand - Martha & Vandellas
Mixed Up Shook Up Girl - Patty & Emblems
I Stand Accused - Jerry Butler
Puppy Love - Barbara Lewis
[[Just Like) Romeo & Juliet - Reflections
My Guy - Mary Wells
California Sun - Rivieras
You've Really Got A Hold On Me - Miracles
The Shoop Shoop Song [[It's In His Kiss) - Betty Everett
Just Be True - Gene Chandler
Leader Of The Laundromat - Detergents
I Want You To Be My Boy - Exciters
C'Mon And Swim - Bobby Freeman
Sand In My Shoes - Drifters
Have I The Right - Honeycombs
Steal Away - Jimmy Hughes
What A Guy - Raindrops

nabob
07-07-2012, 03:43 PM
It was extremely rare that Motown leased tracks to others. Something could have been up that dictated a cash infusion. Here is a scan of the LP cover. I'm surprised that You've Really Got a Hold On Me appeared in a 1964 collection.5110

woodward
07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
It was extremely rare that Motown leased tracks to others. Something could have been up that dictated a cash infusion. Here is a scan of the LP cover. I'm surprised that You've Really Got a Hold On Me appeared in a 1964 collection.5110

A small piece of the puzzle, but not all. George and Sam Goldner were first cousins, their fathers having been brothers. Together they started a huge dynasty of record labels which were very successful, but not as much as Motown. Mark-X was one of their early labels. M-7006 was the legendary song Dead Wrong b/w Ooh Shucks by the Five Stars [[written by B. Gordy and T. Carlo). End Records was one of their later labels. End 1016 was Got a Job b/w My Mama Done Told Me. End 1029 was Money b/w I Cry. End 1084 was repeated as Money b/w I Cry. All 3 were by the Miracles. I recall reading somewhere that Berry also wrote a song or two for Malcolm Dodd and the Tunedrops. The Five Stars also had another 45 End 1028 Baby Baby b/w Blabber Mouth. I suspect that Berry may have written this for the Five Stars but I do not have a copy in my collection like the earlier one.

As you can readily see, Berry had the inside track with the Goldners because of the Miracles and Five Stars releases. That could be part of the reason these were released on the referenced album.

tamla617
07-07-2012, 05:12 PM
wish i'd kept the lp.havent a clue what happened to it.i think the neighbour got it from a pan-am plane,it being left on a flight.his job was loading up the in flight movies for the airline.he used to bring back the latest films. all the nieghbours used to go 'round there to watch them.big projectors and screen i their front room
that track leader of the laundromat was a spoof on the shangralas leader of the pack.so funny.
it made kenny everetts' world's worst records show on london's capital radio show 1976.

thanks for the cover pic btw great to see it again!

robb_k
07-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Berry DID also write and produce the 2 songs that The Five Stars recorded for Goldner that were released on End. He also leased David Ruffin's 2 1958 cuts to Goldner's Vega Records [[while David was working for Anna Records [[which was distributed by George Goldner's End/Gone Records. So, there was a strong Gordy family connection with The Goldners. Roulette was heavily into "Oldies" album series, and so, Motown was willing to lease out songs to be added to Roulette's Oldies album series, and make more money.

randy_russi
07-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I thought many years prior to the success of Motown and for that matter, Berry Gordy, George Goldner had given
Berry one hundred dollars as a down payment if they should ever work together. I believe this story is in Berry's
book, To Be Loved.
I do remember the above lp, as we had it. I also remember noting that some of the songs, such as the Miracles,
were not from '64.