PDA

View Full Version : Billboard's Top 50 stars from the 50 States

test

smark21
07-04-2012, 08:10 PM
http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/born-in-the-u-s-a-the-top-50-artists-by-1005262172.story#/slideshow/4296546?decorator=slideshow&confirm=true

Jerry Oz
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
I was cool until my home state [[Ohio) came up. Chrissy Hynde instead of the O'Jays? No props to Billboard on that one and a few others [[Jermaine Dupri over REM in North Carolina? Really?).

soulster
07-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I was cool until my home state [[Ohio) came up. Chrissy Hynde instead of the O'Jays? No props to Billboard on that one and a few others [[Jermaine Dupri over REM in North Carolina? Really?).

Yeah, they missed TONS of artists from all of the states.

Here's a few from my state of Arizona. Not much in the way of soul, but, oh well:

Linda Ronstadt
Dyke & The Blazers
Stevie Nicks
Rex Allen
Michelle Branch
Glen Campbell
Alice Cooper
Duane Eddy
The Gin Blossoms
Waylon Jennings
The Meat Puppets
Charles Mingus
Mister Mister
Wayne Newton
Buck Owens
CeCe Peniston
Marty Robbins
The Tubes
Tanya Tucker

Jerry Oz
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I was thinking there had to be objective reasons for their choices since the list was put together by Billboard [[record sales, concert revenue, etc.), but I'm convinced that this is another person's opinion based mostly on his preference. At least this one gets beyond alt-rock for most of its choices.

roger
07-05-2012, 04:23 AM
This list is a bit tough if you hail from Washington D.C. I would think!! :)

Roger

soulster
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I was thinking there had to be objective reasons for their choices since the list was put together by Billboard [[record sales, concert revenue, etc.), but I'm convinced that this is another person's opinion based mostly on his preference. At least this one gets beyond alt-rock for most of its choices.

It was fairly objective. But, they did tend to pick artists that would be more known to the younger generations. Let's face it: probably of us here are in our 40s or older. The U.S. market and media does not really cater to us. They are still chasing the younger set that doesn't much care about history beyond their existence, and doesn't really buy anything.

smark21
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Then again Lawrence Welk is representing North Dakota, can't get more old school than that.

Jerry Oz
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Then again Lawrence Welk is representing North Dakota, can't get more old school than that.
Or older. I look at some of the reruns of "The Lawrence Welk Show" and ask myself what that rung of society must have been like from the inside. The musicians are truly great, the dancers do yeoman work, yet it's all so...

Boring.

I can imagine a bunch of gray haired sisters who benefited from Daddy's fortune sitting back and patting their feet and thinking to themselves "This show is truly off the chain, boy!!!!!" But I fail to appreciate the output as much as I appreciate the effort it took to create it. I'm a bad person in that regard, I guess.