PDA

View Full Version : Inspired! Blood, Soul, Sweat & Cheers - A Harmless Album For The Olympics....

test

Ian Dewhirst
07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
We are about to witness the biggest sporting event of this century where an estimated 17,000 athletes, 20,000 journalists, 63,000 personnel and 500,000 spectators will all descend into London town in late July to witness the greatest athletic event of all time – the London 2012 Olympic Games.

A mind-boggling 4 billion plus people are expected to watch the various events on TV alone! Damn. And this is right on Harmless’s own doorstep too! Opportunities like this don’t pop up that regularly - the last time in London was in 1948 and Harmless wasn’t around back then unfortunately.

So we had to do SOMETHING for the occasion but what….?

Bingo! What about an album which picks some of the greatest records about running, jumping, winning, losing, elation, heartbreak, inspiration and aspiration that have ever been ever made…….?

Then we’d be talking ay!

Even better, what if we heavily promoted the album to a world media which is always thirsty for great topical angles? Most of these guys would probably never even hear these records under normal circumstances in their entire lifetimes! So this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get some incredible music in front of the international media at the perfect time. How could we say no?

The opportunity of attempting to reach such a huge worldwide audience for such an iconic event that just happens to be on one’s doorstep is obviously pretty enticing to those of us who are still in the business of selling music. So it was really a no-brainer.

Opportunist? For sure! Harmless WANT as many people as possible to listen to this album. It’s probably the greatest sports compilation ever made for those with impeccable taste. Hand selected with love no less.

We trawled through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and 00’s to dig out the gems and went through the usual licensing hell to present them here against a deadline that was set in stone and boy, was it worth it!

As with most Harmless releases we give a little bit of history about the songs in question and cheekily add a new section called ‘programming opportunity’ which suggests the circumstances where the song may work best. CD1 concentrates on some of the most brilliant inspirational and aspirational output from the late 1960’s to early 1970’s and CD2 covers the late 70’s to the late 00’s. This package spans the eras. Throughout the journey we take in numerous 60’s RnB, Northern Soul, Modern Soul, Crossover Soul, Philly Soul, Funky Soul, Deep Soul and just all-time great Soulful gems from right across the last 5 decades. Numerous tracks have been widely unavailable until now, some are on legitimate release for the first time ever and most of ‘em are in demand somewhere in the world right now. It’s quite a journey so strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

No one can accuse us of not getting in the spirit of things eh?

HURTXCD121 "Inspired! Blood, Soul, Sweat & Cheers" - Released 23/07/2012

http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum/uploads/gallery/album_6471/sml_gallery_9434_6471_361338.jpg

Amazon Link

http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_se_p_t_1 [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspired-Blood-Soul-Sweat-Cheers/dp/B008BENEHI/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1)

CD1: Inspirational 60’s & 70’s Northern Soul & RnB

1. The MVP’s - Turning My Heartbeat Up
2. N.F. Porter - Keep On Keeping On
3. The Steve Karmen Big Band - Breakaway
4. The Tempos - Countdown [[Here I Come)
5. Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
6. Archie Bell & The Drells - There’s Gonna Be A Showdown
7. Roscoe Shelton - Running For My Life
8. Linda Jones - You Can’t Take It
9. Dean Parrish - Determination
10. Willie Mitchell - The Champion
11. Lee Dorsey - Ride Your Pony
12. Tami Lynn - I’m Gonna Run Away From You
13. Billy Butler - Right Track
14. Major Lance - Ain’t No Soul [[Left In These Old Shoes)
15. Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon - Sweet Inspiration
16. The Exciters - Reaching For The Best
17. Alice Clark - You Hit Me [[Right Where It Hurt Me)
18. The Mike Post Coalition - Afternoon Of The Rhino
19. The Just Brothers - Sliced Tomatoes
20. Betty Moorer - Speed Up
21. Bill Moss - Sock It To ‘Em Soul Brother
22. Jimmy ‘Soul’ Clark - I’ll Be Your Champion [[I’ll Be Your Winner)
23. Gene McDaniels - Walk With A Winner
24. Chairmen Of The Board - I’m On My Way To A Better Place

CD2: Inspirational 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and 00’s Soul, Dance & RnB

1. LTG Exchange - Keep On Trying
2. Betty Swann - When The Game Is Played On You
3. Sly & The Family Stone - Runnin’ Away
4. Sandra Wright - I Come Running Back
5. The Controllers - Somebody’s Gotta Win, Somebody’s Gotta Lose
6. The Spinners - Games People Play
7. New York City - Quick Fast In A Hurry
8. Joe Simon - Step By Step
9. The Intruders - [[Win Place Or Show) She’s A Winner
10. Michael Valvano’s Contours - I’m A Winner
11. Larry Wedgeworth & Clique - No More Games
12. Average White Band - Let’s Go Round Again
13. GQ - Standing Ovation
14. Kleeer - Keep Your Body Workin’
15. Aretha Franklin - Jump To It
16. Mousse T - Brother On The Run
17. The Heavy - How You Like Me Now
18. Des'ree - You Gotta Be

We're promoting the album heavily to Radio & TV over the next 4 weeks, so who know? With a bit of luck we may hear some decent tunes for a change!

Ian D :D

MIKEW-UK
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Nice selection ! With the games currently expected to cost $11 billion pounds, that is approx $17 billion dollars, I hope just a little of that money comes your way ;);). Good luck with this creative initiative. Mike

ps. Just went to Amazon , they have the wrong reviews attributed to this release

Ian Dewhirst
07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Nice selection ! With the games currently expected to cost $11 billion pounds, that is approx $17 billion dollars, I hope just a little of that money comes your way ;);). Good luck with this creative initiative. Mike

ps. Just went to Amazon , they have the wrong reviews attributed to this release

Cheers mate. Yep, I need some luck on this because the licensing wasn't cheap. I mailed it out to 35 of the top movers and shakers on the synch/music programming side of things, so we'll see what comes back from them. I actually envy 'em - can you imagine the impact of hearing some of these tunes for the very first time? Awesome....

Ian D ;)

Ian Dewhirst
07-10-2012, 05:05 PM

I know mate and it frustrates the hell out of me. We've asked 'em three times to change it but it was still there as of today. Can't complain too much though as they're pretty much my best customer these days!

Ian D ;)

Ian Dewhirst
07-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Yippee! Just confirmed:-

Friday 20/07/2012 - Lead Review The Times
Sunday 22/07/2012 - Must Have Re-Issue The Culture, Sunday Times

This is the weekend before release and the opening ceremony for the London Olympics 2012.

OK, that's the highbrow audience, now let's get some red-tops!

Ian D ;)

texassoul
07-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Brilliant, Mr. Dewhirst!! Can't wait.

Mike "Tequila" Wheeler
Houston, Texas

roger
07-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Yippee! Just confirmed:-

Friday 20/07/2012 - Lead Review The Times
Sunday 22/07/2012 - Must Have Re-Issue The Culture, Sunday Times

This is the weekend before release and the opening ceremony for the London Olympics 2012.

OK, that's the highbrow audience, now let's get some red-tops!

Ian D ;)

Hey Ian .. I read the "Sunday Times" .. that must make me "highbrow" ... :)

Funnily Sunday 22nd July is the day that the Olympic Flame goes near to where I live .. within about 200 yards or so at its nearest point .. from what I can work out it passes near me around 8:30 A.M. so no lie in for me next week ..

This is how the local borough council is reporting it .. the flame that is, not your compilation CD!!

http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/leisure_and_libraries/leisure_and_culture/london_2012_games/london_2012_and_redbridge/torch_relay_and_other_events/torch_relay.aspx

Maybe I should get take the Culture section of the "Sunday Times" with me and show the review to the assembled crowds .. LOL ..

Just one thing though .. couldn't you have squeezed in a track by THE OLYMPICS .. or is that coming on Volume 2? :)

Roger

destruction
07-14-2012, 08:35 AM
"Just one thing though .. couldn't you have squeezed in a track by THE OLYMPICS .. or is that coming on Volume 2? "

"The Weight".....or "Who's Gonna Take The Weight".

Ian Dewhirst
07-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Hey Ian .. I read the "Sunday Times" .. that must make me "highbrow" ... :)

Funnily Sunday 22nd July is the day that the Olympic Flame goes near to where I live .. within about 200 yards or so at its nearest point .. from what I can work out it passes near me around 8:30 A.M. so no lie in for me next week ..

This is how the local borough council is reporting it .. the flame that is, not your compilation CD!!

http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/leisure_and_libraries/leisure_and_culture/london_2012_games/london_2012_and_redbridge/torch_relay_and_other_events/torch_relay.aspx

Maybe I should get take the Culture section of the "Sunday Times" with me and show the review to the assembled crowds .. LOL ..

Just one thing though .. couldn't you have squeezed in a track by THE OLYMPICS .. or is that coming on Volume 2? :)

Roger

This album is really all about titles rather than group names hence no Olympics. Besides the Olympics people are notoriously protective about preserving their brand so knowing my luck they'd probably try and injunct the album if I used an Olympics track LOL....

roger
07-14-2012, 05:38 PM
This album is really all about titles rather than group names hence no Olympics. Besides the Olympics people are notoriously protective about preserving their brand so knowing my luck they'd probably try and injunct the album if I used an Olympics track LOL....

Thanks for that explaination ..

I suppose you have to "Do Whatever It Takes" .. as THE OLYMPIC RUNNERS might have said .. [[ one of PETE WINGFIELD's groups .. as in "18 With A Bullet") :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcS2raLreM&feature=related

Roger

MIKEW-UK
07-15-2012, 05:44 AM
For those following the GS4 debacle, and the atrocious security handling, could we add to the track list:

Security Otis Redding
Walk Right In The Orlons
Wake Up Fool The Masqueraders
Helpless Kim Weston

Ian Dewhirst
07-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Can you imagine THIS getting a play or or two over the next few weeks?

Absolute Soul perfection. Doesn't get much better than this for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTSWMlCggs

Ian D

Amithesameboy
07-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Can you imagine THIS getting a play or or two over the next few weeks?

Absolute Soul perfection. Doesn't get much better than this for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTSWMlCggs

Ian D

As Mr Dewhirst is logged on can I please ask about news of the Philadelphia Int roots CD that was the subject of some posts a few weeks ago ? It seems to have gone on hold.

Ian Dewhirst
07-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Just spent another 10 minutes answering only for the site to lock again and lose everything! Will try and reply when I get the urge to live!

Ian D

Amithesameboy
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Just spent another 10 minutes answering only for the site to lock again and lose everything! Will try and reply when I get the urge to live!

Ian D

Ian, did you get the urge to reply yet please ?

Ian Dewhirst
07-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Nope, just not working at all for me....locked out 3 times running so I'm giving up for now....what a shame....

Ian D

Ian Dewhirst
07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
It only seems to work if I DON'T use smileys or the quote function and DO use the 'go advanced' function. A bit of a pain to be honest....

Ian D

Ian Dewhirst
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Doh. I pressed 'post quick reply' and lost it all again!!!!

Anyway, in short, it's a contractual thing and I can't anything until I get the OK from business affairs. I am however editing the Richard Searling/Kenny Gamble interview and as soon as I get clearance I'll post some snippets....

Best,

Ian D

Amithesameboy
07-17-2012, 04:25 AM
Doh. I pressed 'post quick reply' and lost it all again!!!!

Anyway, in short, it's a contractual thing and I can't anything until I get the OK from business affairs. I am however editing the Richard Searling/Kenny Gamble interview and as soon as I get clearance I'll post some snippets....

Best,

Ian D

Thanks for this, Ian, much appreciated. Really hope it does make it out as it could be fantastic.

Ian Dewhirst
07-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Especially for those who come second......

The Controllers - Somebody's Gotta Win, Somebody's Gotta Lose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygwZvbISyIY

Ian D

Ian Dewhirst
07-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Lovely review in the Culture section of today's Sunday Times!

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac19/IanDewhirst/UKSoulScans-1.jpg?t=1342954371

Ian D