PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Sounds of the Supremes

test

Roberta75
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Bad enough that they sing the music of Diane Ross and the Supremes but they also add the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves to their act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsAgdFOTnQ

I am simply disgusted and was almost apoplectic when I heard them use the good name of Martha Reeves.

May God forgive them for their deceitfulness.

Roberta

juicefree20
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM
As regards all aspects of this clip, one word comes to mind...

"WOW!"

I'm somewhat speechless & that's not exactly a trait of mine.

SMH!

Roberta75
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
As regards all aspects of this clip, one word comes to mind...

"WOW!"

I'm somewhat speechless & that's not exactly a trait of mine.

SMH!

It's pretty awful Juice. The nerve of Kaaren Raglands and SOTS. I almost keeled over when I heard the clip of Diane Ross and the Supremes but then when they invoked the name of Miss Martha Reeves, it simply disgusted me. Whatever were the BBC thinking?

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

milven
07-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Watched the interview and heard this:

It's not a tribute act. It's a spinooff

You are not a spin-off. Your are a rip-off

Shaaaaaaaaaame on you. :mad:

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Very strange that this group can go over there and be interviewed on national tv and tour for several months when Mary Wilson can't get a deal for Las Vegas. No wonder she wants to go over to England.

Seems to me a good bet would be for Mary Linda and Scherrie to get together and reunite as the Supremes; or Jean and Mary and Cindy if Jean and Cindy are in shape for it and still working and singing.

It's going to be interesting to see where this all goes in the next 10 years.

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 02:51 AM
Here's something equally frightening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70h9qCqkE4&feature=related

juicefree20
07-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Roberta,

Thank you & likewise.

Actually, I did meet Karen a few years back & she was a very pleasant person but I've met Martha on more than a few occasions & to me, Martha's one of the coolest people I've rvrt met. Now she's not going to let you get away with saying something ridiculous to her, but she's definitely engaging with her fans & I haven't seen her have a bad. nor contentious moment yet. I like Martha, Delphine, Annette, Roz & Lois is truly a sweetheart as well.

To be honest, I place less blame on these errr...artists, than I do these "journalists" who prefer to gush over them, than to do their damn homework in order to siscover whether they should be gushing over them or wretching over then.

Just as with the individual who interviewed Chantal Baker & allowed her to get away with saying that she was a "replacement" for Diana Ross, this is simply perpetuated by piss-poor reportage done by people who through their actions that they really have no true regard about the true celebrities, but are merely enthralled by the mere scent & possibility that they're around a celebrity.

And there's quite a difference between the two.

If even one of these folks would bother to do even a minimum of homework & youtube is filled who evidence, then they wouldn't be so quick as to attempt to authenticate that which obviously isn't real.

But they're lazy & let's be honest, most of the folks of this ilk are merely lovers of THE SONGS, the artists, not so much.

Just as long as they can close their eyes & hum along, they'd interview 5 penguins & try to pass them off as the 5 Royales.

Journalism just ain't what it used to be & pride in having knowledge seems to be a victim of this mentality.

marv2
07-03-2012, 04:31 AM
Very strange that this group can go over there and be interviewed on national tv and tour for several months when Mary Wilson can't get a deal for Las Vegas. No wonder she wants to go over to England.

Seems to me a good bet would be for Mary Linda and Scherrie to get together and reunite as the Supremes; or Jean and Mary and Cindy if Jean and Cindy are in shape for it and still working and singing.

It's going to be interesting to see where this all goes in the next 10 years.

Are you serious? These woman are almost 70! They are not going to re-group and especially not for the reason you alluded to; to compete with Kaaren's Sounds of the Supremes? I would bet you money that none of the Ex-Supremes are even concerned enough to give Kaaren a minute of thought. Mary Wilson is busier now than at just about anytime in her career. To see where this all goes in the next 10 years, you had better pray that we or any of them are around 10 years from now!

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Good post in many parts Marv.

They won't regroup will they. They aren't physically or vocally ready for it except for Mary, Lynda and Scherrie and politics will prevent that one.

I recently heard Mary say she may have to reclaim territory in Britain; I hope that wasn't a response to Kaaren's tour.

And I don't know that Mary is all that busy; I know you don't like to acknowledge it but there are several articles talking about Las Vegas not working for Mary and her being quite unhappy about it. Also, the crowds are often small; the venues aren't always the best.

A really nice alternative would be Lynda, Scherrie, Jean and Cindy ~ because you are right ~ there are only a few short years left for it to work.

Roberta75
07-03-2012, 02:44 PM

LOL. Well they sound a bit better that Kaaren Ragland and her girls.

Roberta

randy_russi
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Cute, little rinky dink carnival act. Should do ok at county fairs. Don't go for the bigtime girls, however, never make
it. ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

westgrandboulevard
07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
jobeterob

Yes, there are only a few short years left...

It's just a fanciful notion of mine for sure [[I can well imagine that economics might make it a non-starter), but I've often thought that many of the acts benefit best when being presented with each other, and supporting each other, under the Motown banner.

For over a decade, in the UK we have had the 'Dancing In The Street - Motown's Greatest Hits' tours - basically a tribute show, which was at its best when it featured Edwin Starr, Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves, and a really great supporting company. That was a cracking night's entertainment in anyone's book - and really good value.

If there's a market for tribute shows like Sounds Of The Supremes, it would be good also to have the opportunity of an 'Original Artists of Motown Revue' tour, featuring acts selected from...... any combination of Supremes who are available and willing to work together for the duration [[with a solo spot for each), Mary Wilson [[solo, but who could also choose if she did wish to perform with her former group members) Martha Reeves, again solo,but also with whichever combination of Vandellas she chooses, The Velvelettes, Temps, Four Tops,Miracles, etc, etc....working nice, medium size venues, perhaps with an opportunity to 'meet and greet' after the show.

If it were indeed financially viable, it might become an annual event with a revolving lineup of acts, and maybe a major solo Motown artist or two just might join the company to headline once or twice in a larger venue.

But I tend to feel, like marv2, that age is a real deciding factor...and, while not wanting to be negative, maybe there just isn't an audience for 'original artists' any more.........:[[

antceleb12
07-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Their choice of a cover is very odd, and certainly only the most diligent of Supremes fans would understand why this medley of show-tunes is relevant to the Supremes' name.

Actually, a few years back, I bought a CD collection of jazz tunes by a woman named Terry Thompson, and on it was THE SUPREMES' arrangement of "Falling In Love with Love." It's pretty good, but still I find it very odd.

smark21
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Have to give that tribute act credit for digging into Supremes history and putting one of the act’s nightclub/Ed Sullivan speciality numbers into the show and not just restricting themselves to the hits.

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
But I tend to feel, like marv2, that age is a real deciding factor...and, while not wanting to be negative, maybe there just isn't an audience for 'original artists' any more.........

I fear you guys are right; but WestGrand, you have great ideas for the older crowd.

juicefree20
07-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Having been to several show featuring Doo Wop groups, as well as Girl Groups & Motown Artists, I feel safe in saying that if they put together the RIGHT package of Motown artists as suggested above, there is a large crowd whom would come out to see them, as most of them tend to have a loyal & supportive fanbase who still come out to support them.

I've been to several Four Tops shows & have seen people from 18 to 80 clapping, singing along & dancing in the aisles to their music. Likewise with Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review & Otis' Temptations, as well. The Velvelettes acquitted themselves quite well when they came here & performed at The Ponderosa Stomp & were well-received. Believe it or not, their fan base in certain cities isn't as decrepit as many people believe.

So, I do believe that the right package is still a viable idea, but the clock is definitely ticking.

Personally, I'd love to see it happen & if you can get Scherrie & Susaye, that would likely be a very nice addition to any Motown package.

There's something for everyone!

jobeterob
07-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I'd love to see a show like that...........we could wrap a SD Convention around it.

Roberta75
07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Having been to several show featuring Doo Wop groups, as well as Girl Groups & Motown Artists, I feel safe in saying that if they put together the RIGHT package of Motown artists as suggested above, there is a large crowd whom would come out to see them, as most of them tend to have a loyal & supportive fanbase who still come out to support them.

I've been to several Four Tops shows & have seen people from 18 to 80 clapping, singing along & dancing in the aisles to their music. Likewise with Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review & Otis' Temptations, as well. The Velvelettes acquitted themselves quite well when they came here & performed at The Ponderosa Stomp & were well-received. Believe it or not, their fan base in certain cities isn't as decrepit as many people believe.

So, I do believe that the right package is still a viable idea, but the clock is definitely ticking.

Personally, I'd love to see it happen & if you can get Scherrie & Susaye, that would likely be a very nice addition to any Motown package.

There's something for everyone!

I'd support any show with Martha Reeves on the bill Juice.

Have a blessed 4th my dear.

Roberta

randy_russi
07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
This woman won a lawsuit Mary Wilson had against her claiming her group was a tribute act. The judge ruled in
her favor as there are no laws or trademarks broken with being a tribute. Now she claims she's a spin-off group.
Mary should take her back before the judge.

jobeterob
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
The Supremes definitely have a checkered history full of errors in judgment that have caused the strangest situations to be legal.

milven
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
We've discussed this before, but when Mary and/or her promoters billed Mary as "Mary Wilson & The Supremes", "THE SUPREMES starring Mary Wilson", that's when the trouble began. I've seen Mary using those billings and felt uncomfortable walking under the marquee. The only billing that I was comfortable with was "THE SUPREMES' Mary Wilson". That was slightly deceptive, but to anyone with the slightest knowledge of English grammar, it is accurate and is calling no on stage a Supreme. Kaaaren was billed as a Supreme and in her mind, she thinks that she is a Supreme. Well, there must be a lot of room in her mind to keep that thought if she thinks that she is getting over on even the most casual Supreme fan.

Wikopedia says this:

After the Motown group The Supremes disbanded in 1977, former Supreme Mary Wilson hired Kaaren Ragland as a back-up singer for a European tour in 1978. Mary continued to tour with Ragland and another back-up singer until the mid-1980s, performing in the US, Canada, South America, Japan and Europe.

In 1989, Ragland formed a group called “The Sounds of the Supremes”. Mary Wilson believes that no artist should use the Supremes name unless she performed as a member of "The Supremes" and was signed to Motown by contract. Ragland asserts that despite the fact that the group The Supremes officially disbanded in 1977, “the group carried on”. Ragland claims that while she toured with Mary Wilson for eight years, the group was billed by promoters as “The Supremes”. Wilson sued Ragland to prevent the use of the name "The Supremes," but the court found in Ragland’s favor, granting Ragland the right to use the name “The Sounds of the Supremes".[1] So today, Kaaren Ragland plus two other singers perform as "The Sounds of the Supremes". In many cases, however, the group is incorrectly billed as "The Supremes."

An article about an October 2009 performance at the Arcadia Theater in Windber, Pennsylvania, incorrectly states that “The show features Kaaren Ragland, a member of the Supremes from 1977 to 1985” and quotes Ragland: "We're not a tribute act. We're a spin-off because I was in the Supremes". [2]

The website for Sounds of the Supremes erroneously states: “As a member of The Supremes from 1977 Kaaren Ragland performed at the London Palladium and many other venues… In the '80's she appeared with The Supremes before Her Royal Highness Princess Margaret in London…” Some booking agencies for the Sounds of the Supremes state “Since 1989 The Sounds of the Supremes led by Kaaren Ragland, a former member of original Supreme Mary Wilson's 70s/80s group…” [3] whereas another states “The {Sounds of the Supremes] show features former members of the Supremes, whose vocals and choreography bring an authenticity to the show.” [4]

There is variation in the group’s advertising, as well. For appearances at Disney World, the billing is “The Sounds of the Supremes - A Tribute to The Supremes.” [5] However, at times when appearing outside the US, the group is incorrectly billed as “The Supremes.”[6]

antceleb12
07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
This Kaaren Ragland woman can tote the name 'Supremes' around as much as she wants, but if she has any sense whatsoever, she'll know that no real Supremes fan is going to accept her claim that she was, at any point in time, a Supreme. She has to know that the only people who are going to accept it [[or who just won't care) are the people who only know the music and not the faces, or who only want to hear the music and don't care about the faces.

If she wants to use 'Sounds of the Supremes,' OK. That's fair. But claiming that she was a Supreme when 1) she was never signed by Motown as a member, and 2) the group had officially disbanded, is clearly inaccurate.

Plus, in the "Let Yourself Go" notes, it lists all 9 Supremes - without Miss Ragland. So clearly, no one ever considered her a Supreme.

jobeterob
07-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Agreed Milven and Antceleb.

I think you've got it down very accurately. For fans, this will never fly. For those who just want to hear the music, they dont really care as long as the sound is approximate.

I've never heard anyone replicate Diana or Jean ~ not Whitney even.

But I guess there are going to be quasi legitmate or quasi fake groups of Temptations, Tops, Supremes and Vandellas touring forever.

westgrandboulevard
07-04-2012, 06:15 PM
jobeterob

Agreed. The people who just want to hear the music generally aren't so interested in who actually originated it.

They simply recognise the brand name.

Which is why, to real Motown fans, Kaaren Ragland will never be anything more than an in-store demonstrator......

juicefree20
07-05-2012, 10:11 AM
In the future, here's how the courts should make their decisions...

If you DID NOT appear on a tv show, recording, LP cover or even a magazine article before said group dissolved, then you can't make ANY claim to the name except as a tribute group.

The idea that anyone can simply go to court & trademark a name so that actual members of a group end up screwed out of work or being able to trade in on their own work while others whom had nothing to do with it is as ridiculous, as it is unfair.

How this practice has come to be legally permissible reeks of corruption or downright stupidity on the part of the law.

marv2
07-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I think that "Sounds of the Supremes" are more of a threat to "the FLOS" in regards to taking away work than they would be to Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. I've seen Kaaren Ragland several times performing with Mary's band back in the 80's, but we knew going in that it was Mary Wilson we were going to see.....not the Supremes. The Supremes were finished by 1977. I also saw Kaaren once in Windsor Ontario when she rushed pass me to get to the lobby of the Stage West Theater where Mary was starring in the play "Beehive".

westgrandboulevard
07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
While it seems clear that a business trademark name using 'The Supremes' can be registered, I wonder if there is a legal requirement for the names of current personnel to be registered?

If you run any sort of business, there generally have to be authorised signatories to operate the financial side of the business, and be legally responsible. Any subsequent change in key contacts needs to be registered. If, at some point, you wish to transfer ownership of a business as a going concern [[i.e. continuing to use the same trading name) all ownership details need to be legally registered.

On the face of it, you would think the position should be that, until further notice is given, only 'A', 'B' and 'C' are authorised to trade as a group name [[maybe with temporary contingencies in case of illness).

Alternatively, it would be nice to think that original members received a royalty whenever others were performing their songs, and by using a trading name that incorporates the name of the group as originally registered.

Anything else would appear to be a counterfeit operation.

But I guess law is very complicated, and contracts might need to be drawn up on a regular basis. Legal ownership of the trademarked group name would appear to be the key deciding factor, either global, or in different territories.

I can remember when it was said that Mary Wilson and Motown jointly owned the name 'The Supremes', but have lost track over the decades of how ownership stands at the current time.

jobeterob
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I believe the name Supremes had not been in usage in the UK so the Court allowed the FLOS to obtain the trademark for that name there.

Why Motown, Mary Wilson, or Diana Ross did not own the name Supremes is a huge question. Maybe like the name Marvelettes, the parties at one stage weren't aware that it mattered, nor was Motown. And then Mary gave up ownership to Motown/Universal in some settlement; probably another questionable decision.

I believe Universal now owns the name and they really don't care how the name is used. If tribute groups are out there using it, it might sell a few CDS. And that industry is basically dead now anyways.

I noticed Mary talks at the end of the Hawaii interview about CDS being gone and how things change in the industry and that part of the industry is now gone.

ejluther
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
The karaoke backing track is especially egregious...

marv2
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
And then Mary gave up ownership to Motown/Universal in some settlement; probably another questionable decision.

That's not true. Mary and Berry Gordy came to an agreement [[READ: Settlement) in 1990 over the name.
I am sure Universal cares how that trademark is used.

thisoldheart
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
are these out-takes from the copa live album!?

ExGuyParis
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Dear Kaaren,

If you were Pinocchio, your nose would be several miles long.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/leisure/entertainment-news/2012/05/25/kaaren-ragland-brings-sounds-of-the-supremes-to-rhyl-pavilion-55578-31044109/

jillfoster
07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
In the future, here's how the courts should make their decisions...

If you DID NOT appear on a tv show, recording, LP cover or even a magazine article before said group dissolved, then you can't make ANY claim to the name except as a tribute group.

The idea that anyone can simply go to court & trademark a name so that actual members of a group end up screwed out of work or being able to trade in on their own work while others whom had nothing to do with it is as ridiculous, as it is unfair.

How this practice has come to be legally permissible reeks of corruption or downright stupidity on the part of the law.

Here's the problem... you had Karen Ragland appearing on the televised "Super Picnic 87", introduced by Mary Hart, host of entertainment tonight as "The Supremes featuring Mary Wilson", and after the performance, the announcer comes on before the commerical break and says "The Supremes, and other celebrities on Super Picninc 87 were flown to Kansas City by United Airlines.... blah blah blah". My ticket stub even says "The Supremes" on it... and I still have it.

milven
07-15-2012, 02:25 PM
On Mary's website, it says that Mary is going to address the Kaaaren issue herself. Her website has the video interview that we are discussing here, and a letter from a fan.

Kaaren Ragland & The Sounds of the Supremes
Posted in Mary's Journal on June 27th, 2012 by MaryWilson
This question was posted on one of The Supremes fan pages on Facebook and was forwarded to Mary. She wished to post this question and will openly address it shortly on the site.

ATTENTION EVERYONE, SOMETHING IS PUZZLING ME. I’m at a dead end when it comes to Miss Kaaren Ragland. Now, I know that most of you have some negative things to say about her, I’m looking not for emotions, but for cold hard facts. For me, the confusing part is that Mary Wilson left the group in June 1977, and the group apparently went on hiatus. However, at the time Mary was still signed to Motown as a member of “The Supremes.” When she found that tour dates hadn't been cancelled, she put a trio together, because if these concerts weren't done the group would be sued, and as she was still signed to Motown as a Supreme, she would take that financial hit. Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, who were going to continue as The Supremes, and were still signed as Supremes as well. However, they were not able to do the tour for whatever reason, so Miss Wilson hired Cindy Birdsong [[whom was also apparently still signed to Motown as a Supreme, despite having left one year prior) and Debbie Sharpe. I don’t know who Debbie signed with [[either with Motown or exclusively with Miss Wilson) as Mary never said, and the same goes for everyone who joined her afterwards; including Miss Kaaren Ragland. I’m also not sure when Mary’s contract as a Supreme expired, or if her trio really was, or was not legally “The Supremes” when they did the shows from 1977 on-wards. Is there something that I’m missing?”

It is unclear if Mary will address it on Facebook or on her own site. The fan who asked the question above seems to misunderstand the events. I remember Mary announcing that she was leaving the group, doing a farewell concert, and staying at Motown as a solo recording artist. [[Diana did the same). Sherrie and Susaye could have picked another member and go on as The Supremes but that never happened because of Diana, Mary or Berry or all of them. As Mary was getting ready for her solo career, she and Pedro discovered that their company, Supremes Inc, still had dates that they were responsible for. They asked Sherrie and Susaye, but they declined so Mary hired two singers, one being former Supreme Cindy, and did the dates as the Supremes.

The following is my opinion, not fact and I invite Marv to correct me. I think Pedro found that it was easier and more profitable to book Mary as the Supremes than as Mary Wilson. Eventually, Cindy left and Kaaren came in and thus the Kaaren can of worms was officially opened. In the interview, Kaaren says that she is not a tribute act , but a continuation of the group. Pedro was billing Mary and her backup singers as Supremes, but in reality, even Mary was no longer a Supreme.

I'm anxious to see how Mary will address this on her site http://marywilson.com/

luke
07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Mary briefly used that billing after 77 and then briefly when she got mad that everyone else seemed to be using it in the late 80s I believe. Karen R is playing word games and acting like that makes it the truth based on a technicality. Thats the problem with her more than any other Supremes related act. It's snake-ish. As I recall there was more to the judge's ruling. Mary should have won all of her cases but had terrible luck. A roll of the dice getting another judge and she would have triumphed. But it worked out well for her--she became a star attraction in her own right. Even though I dont think Mary wants the name now, why Motown cant give it to her if she did is beyond me. Andy? Harry? She has done more to iconize[[great new made up word!:))the Supremes than anyone.

ivyfield
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Ragland is a pathetic parasite who should have been stopped years ago. I've recently exposed her to the BBC and the media in general here in the UK and [[during the very poorly attended UK shows) the group's billing was changed to say that they are just another tribute group. She'll never tour here again. Promoters now know the truth at last.

ivyfield
07-15-2012, 07:59 PM
How can you be the 'Sounds of' anything you clearly are not?

luke
07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Great job Ivy!!

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 02:34 AM
It will be interesting to see if Mary Wilson comments on SOS.

I think that is giving it more attention than it deserves. It is best ignored, particularly by fans. Those that go to any concerts are only fans of general Motown/Supremes style music, not of anything real.

Paying this a lot of attention might cause these people to believe there is a market for them.

smark21
07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Ragland is a pathetic parasite who should have been stopped years ago. I've recently exposed her to the BBC and the media in general here in the UK and [[during the very poorly attended UK shows) the group's billing was changed to say that they are just another tribute group. She'll never tour here again. Promoters now know the truth at last.

Well you certainly don’t suffer from low self esteem.

marv2
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
To me, this "Sounds of the Supremes" group had never been more than a run of the mill tribute act no matter what Kaaren claims. I agree that by not making a big deal over them it may be better for everyone. If they are getting gigs, they are most likely low paying ones in remote places. I will give them this much, they must have a pretty aggressive and somewhat savvy manager to get them even this amount of attention. I also believe the things Kaaren Ragland says in these interviews are said purposely to be controversial and draw more attention to her group. She is not even accurate when explaining the amount of time she spent with Mary's band in the 80's. It was in fact Karen Jackson that was performing with Mary Wilson consistently during that time. Jackson was with Mary's act for 9 years. Ragland would substitute for periods in the mid-80's after leaving in around 1978-79 to go to law school.

They look and sound nothing like the Supremes. They could pattern themselves after any now defunct classic girl group and get work.

luke
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
So Karen R leaves and goes to law school to further her career and then starts a group called SOS--hmmmm guess law school didnt work out.

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Another perfect gig for Karen, Shantel and all the rest of them:

Hi All,

We are looking for a Motown Tribute or Diana Ross/Supremes type tribute [[preferably locally based) to perform a 45 min set for a charity ball we are hosting in Sheffield on Friday 14th December 2012. The artist/artistes wont need to supply a PA as we will have a PA system set up for the night.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hollie
Web: www.leejonweddingsinger.co.uk

stephanie
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Both of the groups have decent voices but when Karen said her group was not a tribute act but a spinoff!!!! HA!
The Millie Rose and Mame medley cracked me up not because they are bad but I couldnt only picture the Supremes doing it - Diana, Flo, Mary and of course Cindy. I think its kind of cute they went that far back to pick the Supremes routine.

marv2
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
So Karen R leaves and goes to law school to further her career and then starts a group called SOS--hmmmm guess law school didnt work out.

That is exactly what happened. I remember way back in late 1977 they ran a short bio on her and Karen Jackson. I believe Ragland is originallyfrom Virginia. I can remember how incredible it was that some back then thought she resembled Scherrie Payne! LOL!!!

luke
07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Soundin like the Donna Summer of Australia!!lol

marv2
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Soundin like the Donna Summer of Australia!!lol

The Donna Summer of Australia, yeah right. We ought to start a thread about that story! hehehehehehe!

luke
07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Now now--I was gonna be the David Ruffin of the Ukraine but I wasnt in the mood!

skooldem1
07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Its seems to me that law school worked out just fine for her. She learned enough about the law to know that she had a case. Isn't she the one that beat Mary Wilson in court?

marv2
07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Now now--I was gonna be the David Ruffin of the Ukraine but I wasnt in the mood!

Well go on wit yo bad 'self! hehehehehehehe....

jobeterob
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
In the USA, you can pretty much buy a degree can't you? Although it doesn't mean you know anything.

One thing we have all seen in the post Diana history of the Supremes is that if you have to react quickly to difficult situations that are going to cost you money if you don't respond, if you see your money coming in fall off to very little - you are going to make mistakes that end up being costly forever.

It is the same situation the Marvelettes and many other groups found themselves in.

As soon as the hits stop, the trouble starts and there is no yellow brick road out of it and the law can easily not be on your side.

We have all believed the Supremes ended in 1977; if they did, no one should have ever taken new members out on the road and called them "Supremes"; the only people that should have gone out as Supremes after 1977 were Diana, Mary, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye, and Barbara. As soon as that rule was breached, you opened up a can of worms.

These post Diana girls needed Otis running things.

Bokiluis
07-18-2012, 01:22 AM
I believe the name Supremes had not been in usage in the UK so the Court allowed the FLOS to obtain the trademark for that name there.

Why Motown, Mary Wilson, or Diana Ross did not own the name Supremes is a huge question. Maybe like the name Marvelettes, the parties at one stage weren't aware that it mattered, nor was Motown. And then Mary gave up ownership to Motown/Universal in some settlement; probably another questionable decision.

I believe Universal now owns the name and they really don't care how the name is used. If tribute groups are out there using it, it might sell a few CDS. And that industry is basically dead now anyways.

I noticed Mary talks at the end of the Hawaii interview about CDS being gone and how things change in the industry and that part of the industry is now gone.

Lin mentioning The Marvelettes, the music being used on thir "Unsung" commercial makes them seem even more dated. You would have thought that they would use "Don't Mess with Bill" or "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" or if they insist on an even more 50/60 ish sound, "Please Mr. Postman".

revvy
10-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Karen R is playing word games and acting like that makes it the truth based on a technicality. It's snake-ish. A roll of the dice.

Isn't that basically what Diana tried for that bogus "Return to Love" tour?

marv2
10-13-2012, 05:01 PM
It is exactly what Diane tried to pull over on the public, but they weren't having it!

smark21
10-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Revvy, it’s been 12 years since RTL and you’re still upset and outraged and harping on it? Perhaps you need some post traumatic stress disorder therapy?

revvy
10-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Revvy, it’s been 12 years since RTL and you’re still upset and outraged and harping on it? Perhaps you need some post traumatic stress disorder therapy?

Hi and thanks for your concern. Yes, I've been undergoing post traumatic stress disorder therapy since the tour was announced. Thanks to hypnosis, along with drugs, alcohol and pornography I'm getting better every day.

ivyfield
10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Just so you all know... the tour was not [[financially or otherwise) a success for any of the parties concerned. They won't be doing a tour like the last one because of the obvious response it got and I can assure you that they DEFINITELY won't be on the BBC again..

Bad enough that they sing the music of Diane Ross and the Supremes but they also add the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves to their act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsAgdFOTnQ

I am simply disgusted and was almost apoplectic when I heard them use the good name of Martha Reeves.

May God forgive them for their deceitfulness.

Roberta