PDA

View Full Version : MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED by David Ruffin

test

dvdmike
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know who arranged this track? It doesn't sound like a Paul Riser arrangement. Thank you.

tamla617
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
jimmy roach i think,who wrote it with pam sawyer.johnny bristol was the producer.

MIKEW-UK
06-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Russ, I always thought it was David Van De Pitte, who did so many of the elaborate arrangements for David Ruffin [[ and numerous others.)

It's difficult to be sure, because on the album "My Whole World Ended", track producers and arrangers were not listed on the LP jacket. According to discogs / Hip O Select, it could have been either and / or /David Van De Pitte, Henry Cosby, Paul Riser, Wade Marcus and Willie Shorter.

What we can be sure of is that David Van De Pitte did arrange the Spinners version of "My Whole World Ended" on VIP25060 issued in 1970. David was credited as arranger on both sides, "We'll Have It Made" and "My Whole World Ended".

And here's the extended version by someone we know well... you'lll see the record label credits Fuqua, Bristol, Sawyer Roach as writers and Fuqua Bristol as producers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M434KF9nZc

cheers Mike

tamla617
06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
hi mike!
you might be right.but all the stuff i've read today doesnt mention him at all.roach was taken on as a staff writer/arranger. song written himself and pam sawyer.harvey fuqua and johnny bristol produced just as it is for the spinners.but i cannot definatly say i've seen the words"arranged by jimmy roach" or anyone else for that matter.tcms vol8 tells you everything apart from arranger.i've looked at lists till i went blind and get to the arranged by column and everyone of them was blank.must be a state secret!

btw it was supposed to be a temps track.david left at the same time johnny and co got hold of the backing track.

splanky
06-30-2012, 06:35 AM
I too have always thought David did the arrangement but I can't say for sure, either way that is probably one of the
best extended versions our friend has ever done, a kick-ass job!...The Originals backing vocals brought up and Babbit's[[?)
guitar, dang, I liked that. So many of Motown's secretarial staff got a chance at a mike it seems, I wish someone had
stayed behind a desk and logged ALL of the details about every tracks recording:)...Berry didn't know it at the time because he was so focused on making dollars but they actually were making HISTORY....

midnightman
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
^ David arranging anything would've gave him some control and Motown couldn't have that haha but yeah I always thought Paul Riser arranged this. Surprised to find it was Jimmy Roach.

RossHolloway
01-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Along with What Does It Take by Jr. Walker and the AllStars, I Wish It Would Rain by the Temptations, and I Heard It Thru The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye these are some of the best songs from 1968-9. IMO.

midnightman
01-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Along with What Does It Take by Jr. Walker and the AllStars, I Wish It Would Rain by the Temptations, and I Heard It Thru The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye these are some of the best songs from 1968-9. IMO.

I'll add Baby I'm For Real to the list. :)

dvdmike
01-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Thank you everyone