PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Perry: 'Diana Ross Won't Answer My Calls'

test

jobeterob
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 | 12:45 PM
Tyler Perry: 'Diana Ross Won't Answer My Calls'
By Yolanda Sangweni
A call from Tyler Perry may be one most people in Hollywood welcome. Not legendary singer, Diana "The Boss" Ross.

Perry tells ESSENCE.com Ross is a childhood idol he'd love to work with on a film project. Except she won't return his calls.

"She's been ignoring me for years," Perry said while promoting his latest movie, Madea's Witness Protection. "She's the only person that I have dreamed of working with that will not return my phone calls." The director adds that Ross did speak with him once. "That was it, she never called me again. She said, "No!" And that was it." So does being friends with Oprah help Perry's case at all? "Not when it comes to Diana Ross," he jokes. "You can be friends with Obama, Oprah, Trump — that is Diana Ross! So, no."

Perry did manage to get two other childhood idols, Marla Gibbs and John Amos, into his latest Madea movie. "To be around Florence from The Jeffersons and James [Amos] from Good Times… to stand in the presence of people that I've admired is amazing."

"If I had met them when I was 10 years old watching those shows I would have been blow away. So to have them working with me is fascinating."

Read more: http://www.essence.com/2012/06/26/tyler-perry-diana-ross-wont-answer-my-calls/#ixzz1yvSPruyz

marv2
06-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Maybe he needs to ask Alec Baldwin or George Clooney to call her for him.........

TheMotownManiac
06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Maybe he needs to learn what "No!" means. She said on Oprah she doesn't want to make movies and seemed pretty firm about it. In March, she cancelled her entire itinerary for the rest of the year - including the arena dates in Europe. Rumour has it that Rhonda is expecting and that Miss Ross, like last time, is spending a lot of her time helping her daughter carry to term after several disappointments. I would love Mr Terry to get her into his movie, but, dude, she said no. Maybe if he put Mary Wilson or Aretha or Dionne in it and they won an Oscar, she'd wish she'd have done it, but she doesn't need money and hates making movies, so why continue the dialogue?

Jimi LaLumia
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I would actually LUV to see Mary Wilson in a Perry film; I think she'd be FAB!!

jobeterob
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Shame about the cancellations; YAH for Rhonda; and Diana should take Tyler's call. He wants the real deal. But it would be frickin hilarious to see Dionne or Aretha get all pissed off when he "directed" them around.

Glenpwood
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
We've already worn a rut in the road of Miss Ross working with Tyler Perry this year. Just type his name in the Search box of the forum and the topic comes right up. You can get everyones point of view on it rather quickly there. That being said, if he thinks mildly badgering Diana is gonna increase his chances of working with her, he's going to be sorely disappointed.....

Roberta75
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM
I would actually LUV to see Mary Wilson in a Perry film; I think she'd be FAB!!

But can Miss Wilson act? I would love Mr. Perry to cast Miss Martha Reeves in one of his movies. I think Miss Reeves is a natural for acting and would show a great range of emotions like she do when performing live on stage. Martha Reeves is magic on stage and would light up the movie screen beautifully.

Roberta

skooldem1
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Diana has said in interviews that she is not afraid to say "NO". I think she means it. She doesn't enjoy making movies. Of course, this could all be part of the "return to the big screen" blitz. But, at least she spoke with him. He just didn't like what she had to say.

TheMotownManiac
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Shame about the cancellations; YAH for Rhonda; and Diana should take Tyler's call. He wants the real deal. But it would be frickin hilarious to see Dionne or Aretha get all pissed off when he "directed" them around.

LOL I never thought of that - Dionne probably would be a beast on the set - like she was on The Apprentice. Queen Ree might be easier, Mary would be easy to work with. I think the amount of TV work DMF&C endured in such a short period of time gave them the respect and work ethic that would keep them from being Divas on the set. All of Diana's directors praised her work ethic and I've never heard of Mary being difficult in her acting situations.

I think Miss Ross would rather have another grandchild than anything. She turned down enough film work in the 70's & 80's to be with her kids so this should be no surprise really.

TheMotownManiac
06-26-2012, 08:45 PM
But can Miss Wilson act? I would love Mr. Perry to cast Miss Martha Reeves in one of his movies. I think Miss Reeves is a natural for acting and would show a great range of emotions like she do when performing live on stage. Martha Reeves is magic on stage and would light up the movie screen beautifully.

Roberta

I forgot that this is a dramatic part, maybe Mary hasn't the chops for it. Perry has said on several occasions he will only make the film with Miss Ross, so, in this case, Mary or the others won't do. I respect her decision, at 68, why sign up to do something that you don't want or need to do? Our girls have worked hard and long enough to do as they please now.

smark21
06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Maybe Diana Ross doesn’t want her movie comeback to be in a Tyler Perry film as his films tend to be pedestrian filmed and poorly written trashy comic melodramas.

marybrewster
06-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Roberta

Can Martha act? I don't know that I've ever seen her in anything. I know Mary has done some television, movie and stage work, not to mention a decade [[give or take) on prime-time.

antceleb12
06-26-2012, 11:32 PM
There is no need for Diana to take another movie offer. She has absolutely no reason to, and she certainly doesn't owe Mr. Perry any favors. Why badger someone about being in a movie if they don't have their heart in it? I have personally never wanted to see her in a Perry film. The two just don't go together for me.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
06-26-2012, 11:45 PM
To bad florence Blonfie Ballard cant be in a Tyler Perry movie but the kilt her.

bradsupremes
06-26-2012, 11:53 PM
If I wanted Diana Ross return to the big screen it certainly wouldn't be a Tyler Perry film. His films like his TV shows [["Meet The Browns" and "House of Payne") are cheap in humor and are made to make a quick buck. I can see why Diana would say no. They have no artistic value. Plus Tyler Perry has a limited audience [[mostly the African-American community) and he certainly writes to that audience but if he's trying to draw in someone like Diana Ross he's going to have to broaden his audience appeal.

It's also understandable that Diana doesn't want to do films anymore because she's a grandmother. I'm sure she finds more enjoyment playing and spending time with her grandson than she does being on stage or filming a movie these days.

Now if Diana had Mike Nichols or Steven Spielberg knocking on her door about a possible role in a film I think it would be very foolish of her to say no.

jillfoster
06-27-2012, 12:13 AM
There is no need for Diana to take another movie offer. She has absolutely no reason to, and she certainly doesn't owe Mr. Perry any favors. Why badger someone about being in a movie if they don't have their heart in it? I have personally never wanted to see her in a Perry film. The two just don't go together for me.

There isn't any NEED for her to do anything other than sit on her butt. Tyler Perry is obviously looked down upon by many, which is unfortunate, because his movies are hilarious.

jillfoster
06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
If I wanted Diana Ross return to the big screen it certainly wouldn't be a Tyler Perry film. His films like his TV shows [["Meet The Browns" and "House of Payne") are cheap in humor and are made to make a quick buck. I can see why Diana would say no. They have no artistic value. Plus Tyler Perry has a limited audience [[mostly the African-American community) and he certainly writes to that audience but if he's trying to draw in someone like Diana Ross he's going to have to broaden his audience appeal.

It's also understandable that Diana doesn't want to do films anymore because she's a grandmother. I'm sure she finds more enjoyment playing and spending time with her grandson than she does being on stage or filming a movie these days.

Now if Diana had Mike Nichols or Steven Spielberg knocking on her door about a possible role in a film I think it would be very foolish of her to say no.

Really? It would be foolish of her to turn down the white directors? Of course it would.... she only marries white men, why would her professional life be any different?

bradsupremes
06-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Really? It would be foolish of her to turn down the white directors? Of course it would.... she only marries white men, why would her professional life be any different?

This has nothing to do with race and I refuse to let it be turned into one. Mike Nichols and Steven Spielberg came first to mind because they have won multiple Oscars/have been nominated for lots of Oscars. They produce high quality material. Spike Lee is right up there with them. Look at "The Color Purple" - people forget Steven Spielberg directed that. Tyler Perry is far from being in their league of quality.

BigAl
06-27-2012, 02:47 AM
But can Miss Wilson act?
To the best of my knowledge, she's not done any film work to speak of, other than a small cameo in Jackie's Back, but her stage work has gotten some attention. She received good notices for Grandma Sylvia's Funeral, and also for The Vagina Monologues. Granted, neither, strictly speaking, was a dramatic role: one was a comedy/farce and the other was, well, a monologue. I saw her in Beehive, but that was just a jukebox musical and her running narration wasn't really acting per se. [[The less said about Sophisticated Ladies the better, due to her canning the equity cast/crew and hiring scabs. That was a most unfortunate career move.) Thus, I don't know how she'd fare on the screen.

Roberta75
06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

That was real mean jillfoster. Mean spirited and really quite vicious. Shame on you and may God forgive you.

Roberta

Roberta75
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Can Martha act? I don't know that I've ever seen her in anything. I know Mary has done some television, movie and stage work, not to mention a decade [[give or take) on prime-time.

In my opinion Miss Martha Reeves can act. She has that natural quality that actors need and she show a great range of emotions in her singing. Yes, I believe Martha Reeves can and should act. She's also still very beautiful and would look great on the movie screen IMO.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

motony
06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I also think Martha Reeves would be excellent in any movie. She has the natuarl charisma that MANY on screen today lack. I thought Dionne Warwick was an excellent actress [[Slaves early 70's) but remember her stating that she didn't like acting.

helga
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Mr. Perry should consider casting Shantel Baker in one of his motion pictures.

helga
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
More seriously, Diana is 68 years old. She is in "grandma mode". She's getting happiness and satisfaction from her family at this point in her life. I doubt that making movies ranks at the top of her list.

marybrewster
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Mr. Perry should consider casting Shantel Baker in one of his motion pictures.

I vote for Delcina Wilson.

marybrewster
06-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I also think Martha Reeves would be excellent in any movie. She has the natuarl charisma that MANY on screen today lack. I thought Dionne Warwick was an excellent actress [[Slaves early 70's) but remember her stating that she didn't like acting.

I suppose Martha could be cast as Madea's great-grandmother?

marybrewster
06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Perry tells ESSENCE.com Ross is a childhood idol he'd love to work with on a film project. Except she won't return his calls.

So much for "if you need me, call me".

Penny
06-27-2012, 11:03 AM

So much for "if you need me, call me".

Miss Ross "AVON calling!"

Marybrewster, she won't answer my calls either!

Penny:[[

jobeterob
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Wasn't Tyler Perry's intention here to make a more serious movie about a jazz singer?

Roberta75
06-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I suppose Martha could be cast as Madea's great-grandmother?

Now now marybrewster. I know you are only joking. Seriously though Martha Reeves could easily play Madea's younger sister or cousin.

Roberta

Roberta75
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Miss Ross "AVON calling!"

Marybrewster, she won't answer my calls either!

Penny:[[

LOL You are funny Penny. Miss Diane Ross may not be looking for Avon but I am. On July 9 I am going to Guadalajara with a prayer team from my church. We'll be spreading the word of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and this will mean lots of walking. I will need some more Avon mint foot cream to take with me. I'll e-mail you on payday and place my order.

Thank you dear Penny.

Roberta

marybrewster
06-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Now now marybrewster. I know you are only joking. Seriously though Martha Reeves could easily play Madea's younger sister or cousin.

Roberta

You're right. I did a little research; "Madea" was born in 1935.....Martha in 1941.

Actually, Delphine Reeves would make a good "sister" for Madea. They have a very similar look.

REDHOT
06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I love to see Mary Wilson is a Tyler Perry project,Mary is a real PRO,when it comes to her work.
Please stay positive

smark21
06-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Tyler Perry sounds like a certain one time background singer of Mary Wilson’s.

stephanie
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Ms Wilson would do well. Ross has more money than she can count and I dont think she wants a new generation to see her in a Tyler Perry film, I will say family is important to her and now is the time to be with them. Ross is a challenge to him and he wants her to bring people in the theatre. He really doesnt need her at this point I think he likes the challenge of trying to get her in. He better call Oprah and put her in a film.

Roberta75
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Tyler Perry sounds like a certain one time background singer of Mary Wilson’s.

Kaaren Ragland. Am I close?

Roberta

REDHOT
06-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Tyler is doing VERY WELL,no matter what,who,where or how you look at his work,when his movies comes out,they are always in the top 10s,i'm sure his new movie is gonna be a hit,as well.in Hollywood it's about a MONEY MAKING MOVIE,not who's starring in it LOL
Please stay positive

David J
06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Tyler Perry is just acting like a bitch now, he sounds like he's telling on Diana but trying to be slick about it.

When is he going to get the message?????? that Diana doesn't seem interested, Tyler has been going on about this for years now, LEAVE Diana alone and find someone else.

Simple logic really but Tyler seems obsessive and determine to get Diana to work with him, no matter what and if she doesn't, why not moan to the public about it and make Diana look bad, like that's going to make Diana come running to him???

captainjames
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Well, I admire some of Mr. Perry's work and especially those that leans towards the believe in prayer and faith but, he is starting to sound like Ryan O'Neal for the BodyGuard and Mary Wilson's Supreme Reunion. Those that know Diana is aware that when she says NO she means NO and once she set her mind on something she will go after it. He has already talked with her and I am sure she said not interested. I believe at one time he even tried to get Tracee to talk to her if I remember correctly.

Oh well ~~~

nosey
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Maybe Ms. Ross isn't down for the bufoonery. I was at my daughter's last weekend and was forced to watch, Madea's One Big Happy Family: never laughed once and I used to do comedy.

Penny
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
LOL You are funny Penny. Miss Diane Ross may not be looking for Avon but I am. On July 9 I am going to Guadalajara with a prayer team from my church. We'll be spreading the word of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and this will mean lots of walking. I will need some more Avon mint foot cream to take with me. I'll e-mail you on payday and place my order.

Thank you dear Penny.

Roberta

Roberta, you inspire me so much. I wish I could be half the Christian that you are. I have shipped to you, free of charge, some AVON mint cream along with some Cherry Ice Cool Foot Spray and some Lavender Soothing Foot Soak. I am sending these free of charge to help you while you are doing your ministry work. It is not much but from the heart.

Don't forget to take along some Martha Reeves on your iPod!

Now back to the topic so I don't get yelled out here by the self appointed forum police here.

Miss Ross still hasn't called me.

Penny:D

Roberta75
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Roberta, you inspire me so much. I wish I could be half the Christian that you are. I have shipped to you, free of charge, some AVON mint cream along with some Cherry Ice Cool Foot Spray and some Lavender Soothing Foot Soak. I am sending these free of charge to help you while you are doing your ministry work. It is not much but from the heart.

Don't forget to take along some Martha Reeves on your iPod!

Now back to the topic so I don't get yelled out here by the self appointed forum police here.

Miss Ross still hasn't called me.

Penny:D

God bless you my dear Penny. I am sitting here at work weeping tears of joy and gratitude over your beautiful and generous gift. I am overwhelmed, humbled and touched more than you'll ever know.

Miss Diane Ross may not have called you back, LOL, but Jesus is aware of what you have done and he will surely bless you.

Thank you my dear from the bottom of my heart.

With my fondest love,

Roberta

jobeterob
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I try and generally be a nice person and no one ever gave me Avon even though I try and like Miss Ross; but Mary was my favorite Supreme in the day.

Does anyone know for sure that Rhonda is having another baby? She hasn't been very active on Facebook and Miss Ross's page isn't enormously active and it is usually kept up to date.

I was under the impression Mr. Perry was going to produce a more serious, different style of movie, not in the Madea mode. He might get Miss Ross someday. To be honest, I don't think he is interested in her colleagues, especially those that at 70 are unproven actors.

captainjames
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I thought his serious piece of work was "Deeds"

I try and generally be a nice person and no one ever gave me Avon even though I try and like Miss Ross; but Mary was my favorite Supreme in the day.

Does anyone know for sure that Rhonda is having another baby? She hasn't been very active on Facebook and Miss Ross's page isn't enormously active and it is usually kept up to date.

I was under the impression Mr. Perry was going to produce a more serious, different style of movie, not in the Madea mode. He might get Miss Ross someday. To be honest, I don't think he is interested in her colleagues, especially those that at 70 are unproven actors.

smark21
06-28-2012, 09:00 PM
A couple of years ago Perry made an attempt at a more serious film when he adapted For Colored Girls. But he watered down the feminist themes of the play to placate his core fan base of conservative church going folk. The movie received meh reviews and the critical concensus was that Perry really doesn’t have the talent or artistry to do anything beyond what made his name.

Another reason why Ross may not have any interest in working for Perry is that she worked for Motown and they always strived to give her a class production and support. Tyler Perry is no Berry Gordy.

David J
06-29-2012, 03:16 AM
A couple of years ago Perry made an attempt at a more serious film when he adapted For Colored Girls. But he watered down the feminist themes of the play to placate his core fan base of conservative church going folk. The movie received meh reviews and the critical concensus was that Perry really doesn’t have the talent or artistry to do anything beyond what made his name.

Another reason why Ross may not have any interest in working for Perry is that she worked for Motown and they always strived to give her a class production and support. Tyler Perry is no Berry Gordy.

Well a lot of people on this forum do think that Mr Perry is being obsessive and pain in the butt, that he should just it let go, if Diana has already said no, then she means NO!!!

www.lipstickalley.com/.../diana-ross-avoiding-tyler-perry-408... [[http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.lipstickalley.com/f15/diana-ross-avoiding-tyler-perry-408544/&ct=ga&cad=CAgQAhgBIAMoBDAAOABAhaKw_wRIAVgAYgVlbi1NWQ&cd=QF4R_v-Tx6I&usg=AFQjCNHo_I9xp3YLRlz_2WyLNF9GUfTpfg)

jillfoster
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Well a lot of people on this forum do think that Mr Perry is being obsessive and pain in the butt, that he should just it let go, if Diana has already said no, then she means NO!!!

www.lipstickalley.com/.../diana-ross-avoiding-tyler-perry-408... [[http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.lipstickalley.com/f15/diana-ross-avoiding-tyler-perry-408544/&ct=ga&cad=CAgQAhgBIAMoBDAAOABAhaKw_wRIAVgAYgVlbi1NWQ&cd=QF4R_v-Tx6I&usg=AFQjCNHo_I9xp3YLRlz_2WyLNF9GUfTpfg)

Of course everyone is going to take Diana's side in a forum for drag queens! LOL

captainjames
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Ok well lets just flip the coin and say Mr. Perry has every right to keep asking her and she has every right to keep saying no.

Of course everyone is going to take Diana's side in a forum for drag queens! LOL

marv2
06-29-2012, 10:29 AM
To the best of my knowledge, she's not done any film work to speak of, other than a small cameo in Jackie's Back, but her stage work has gotten some attention. She received good notices for Grandma Sylvia's Funeral, and also for The Vagina Monologues. Granted, neither, strictly speaking, was a dramatic role: one was a comedy/farce and the other was, well, a monologue. I saw her in Beehive, but that was just a jukebox musical and her running narration wasn't really acting per se. [[The less said about Sophisticated Ladies the better, due to her canning the equity cast/crew and hiring scabs. That was a most unfortunate career move.) Thus, I don't know how she'd fare on the screen.

Mary has appeared in at least a half dozen stage plays. You have missed "Beehive" and Mary's 10 minute monologue in the middle of the show to the backdrop of "The Beat Goes On". It was VERY dramatic and well done. Coincedentally, Ms. Wilson has taken further acting classes earlier this year in Los Angles. She took them also years ago in the late 70's and early 80's. She was very good in "Adellas Soul Shack" produced and performed in Philly some years back as well in "Mother Hubbard".

marv2
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM

hehehehehehehe.......!

marv2
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Isn't Tyler Perry considered to be one of the most successful directors in the film industry today?

luke
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Diana should be falling on her knees in gratitude Tyler Perry is calling her. He has done some very entertaining work-suprised at his bashing here. But remember Miss Ross does NOT do ensemble work and those are what Perry's movies are usually about.

jobeterob
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Generally these days, Diana's audiences are one drag queen hired by a local radio station and 4000 Grannies and Grampas and a few young people. Mary seems to have more gay men in her band and in tow than Diana these days. And I'm sure the numbers of gay people following Motown are the same as for Diana as for Mary and Lynda as for Madonna and Adele and the Temptations.

Is it a crime in some parts still?

skooldem1
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Diana should be falling on her knees in gratitude Tyler Perry is calling her. He has done some very entertaining work-suprised at his bashing here. But remember Miss Ross does NOT do ensemble work and those are what Perry's movies are usually about.

It's been a while since I saw "Lady Sings the Blues" or "The Wiz", but I could have sworn that she had co-stars in those films.

Roberta75
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
It's been a while since I saw "Lady Sings the Blues" or "The Wiz", but I could have sworn that she had co-stars in those films.

LOL. You must remember Luke seems to live to complain about Diane Ross.

Roberta

Roberta75
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Well Tyler Perry's made a career out of playing a drag queen so maybe he should join our forum. According to you he'd be right at home.

Roberta

David J
06-30-2012, 02:33 AM

I doubt very much that, that particular forum [[Lipstick Alley forum) has many drag queens posting on it, as many of the posters seem to make a lot homophobic comments, not that I agree with that of course but just saying.

Anyway, I don't really see any particularly funny or wrong being a drag Queen, everyone to their own, at the end of the day, we are all human beings no matter how we choose to live our lives, gay, bi, straight, whatever!!!, at the end of the day does it really matter who post on whatever forum, then again your comment doesn't surprise me, as you've never had anything nice to say when it comes to anything to do with Diana Ross anyway.

I suppose it would have made you extremely happy if they had been slating Diana.

144man
06-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Smart-ass-one-liners are one of my favourite forms of humour.

Please don't blow them up out of proportion.

marv2
06-30-2012, 10:07 AM

Wasn't Cicely Tyson featured in one of Perry's films?

juicefree20
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
To be honest, beginning with "Why Did I Get Married" through "Mr. Deeds", Tyler has been expanding beyond the Madea-styled movies & I notice that his movies are trying to give a more uplifting ending.

Now I doubt seriously that he would try to write a Madea type of vehicle for Diana or any other silly type of vehicle for her, as it appears to me as though he has a lot of respect for her. Who knows, she could be the inspiration for him crafting a movie that's truly special & might actually rise about what many of his detractors expect of him.

Now with that said, considering that many of the the most rabid fans of The Supremes have been screaming & arguing about how these legends should reunite at least once, is Tyler's pursuit of Diana for a movie really any worse that that?

Seems a bit hypocritical to me to suggest that it is, much less that his pursuit is on a par with much of the craziness that we've seen posted on the internet for more than a decade.

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 01:25 AM
This has got a lot of press; the most for Diana since the Liftetime Achievement Award.

I think Tyler should keep raising this from time to time if he wishes to achieve what he wants.

Diana might be busy with coming grandchildren for a while and this is awesome; but there may be room for a Perry movie that is out of what is run of the mill for him.

Keep going!

juicefree20
07-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Tyler's a pretty bright guy & I believe that someone like Diana could inspire him to craft something that's truly special.

I don't believe that he would pursue her then come up with some off-the-wall story. He may actually have something that's conceived with her specifically in mind. I doubt very seriously that he'd embarass himself by presenting her with something ridiculous & it could actually prove to be something that's quite worthwhile.

marv2
07-03-2012, 04:21 AM
Why can't she just do the professional, adult thing and just answer his call and tell them thank you but I am not interested? I am sure no one else is calling her about starring a film.

milven
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Why can't she just do the professional, adult thing and just answer his call and tell them thank you but I am not interested? I am sure no one else is calling her about starring a film.

According to Essence, she did say no. But he won't take no for an answer. It seems that once she makes up her mind, she sticks to it. I don't think anyone else is calling her to star in a film either. But sometimes, no is no and there is no need for further discussion.

“...She’s been ignoring me for years,” Perry told Essence.com while promoting his latest movie, Madea’s Witness Protection. “She’s the only person that I have dreamed of working with that will not return my phone calls.”

But he does recall a time when they had a short conversation.

“That was it, she never called me again. She said, “No!” And that was it.”

luke
07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh please--so she needs to tell him no again and BE COURTEOUS. Diana dear you put your shoes on like everybody else.

David J
07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Oh please--so she needs to tell him no again and BE COURTEOUS. Diana dear you put your shoes on like everybody else.

And why does Diana need to call him a second time? didn't Perry get the message when she said NO the first time??? and as for the Diana should be flattered/ grateful comment, that Tyler wants her to stare in his movie, well!!! obviously Diana can't be that flattered and I don't see why she should be because she isn't exactly running to him, is she? so she's obviously not that desperate.
She doesn't need to do his film if she doesn't want to, PERIOD!!! [[Mama Ross is too busy getting her priorities right, being a grandmother).
Mr Perry just need to let it go instead of whining about Diana not returning his call, as it's getting old now.

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Diana Ross Hates Tyler Perry – Whitney Houston Perry Movie Role “A Jazz Man’s Blues”
Posted on Thursday June 28th 2012
Tyler Perry hit a roadblock in his pursuit of his Dream movie. EURweb reports the filmmaker expressed interest in producing a film with Diana Ross, but apparently, she won’t return his calls.

“She’s been ignoring me for years,” Perry told Essence.com while promoting his latest movie, Madea’s Witness Protection. “She’s the only person that I have dreamed of working with that will not return my phone calls.”

He says not even having a close association with Oprah Winfrey, I can’t get her to call back.

“Not when it comes to Diana Ross,” he jokes. “You can be friends with Obama, Oprah, Trump — that is Diana Ross! So, no.”

Not all is lost, however. Perry has managed to get two other childhood idols, Maria Gibbs and John Amos, into his latest movie.

“To be around Florence from The Jeffersons and James [Amos] from Good Times… to stand in the presence of people that I’ve admired is amazing.”

Aside from his dreams of landing the former Supremes frontwoman in one of his forthcoming flicks, the 42-year-old New Orleans native also recently opened up in an interview with the Huffington Post on the idea of working with Eddie Murphy.

“He’s underrated and very brilliant, but he’s also Eddie Murphy,” Perry said. “I’m totally open to [collaborating], but that would definitely depend on Mr. Murphy.”

Last years my sources said that Whitney Houston was going to return to the big screen with the help of Perry also! According to an inside source, Whitney screened tested for Tyler personally in hopes of landing the lead role of a Jazz singer in Tyler’s next film “A Jazz Man’s Blues.”

Word is the role may have originally been meant for Diana Ross, but once that fell through, Tyler rewrote the role specifically hoping to get Whitney to come on board. Damn what a movie she would have been back on top!!!

The film would have reportedly been set in the 1940s and will feature Ben Kingsley as Whitney’s love interest.As many of you well know, Whitney had an amazing movie career during the 90’s. The Pop diva’s films, “The Bodyguard,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “The Preacher’s Wife” have reportedly grossed over 300 million dollars worldwide and the singer’s soundtrack to “The Bodyguard” is still the largest selling soundtrack in history, thanks in part to Whitney’s amazing rendition of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You.”

Just so yall know BET Networks just added more exciting talent to its list of presenters and performers for the BET AWARDS 12. Jamie Foxx, Quentin Tarantino, Tyler Perry and Laz Alonzo will join previously announced presenters Kevin Hart, Cedric the Entertainer, Taraji P. Henson, Meagan Good and superstar host, Samuel L. Jackson.

Roberta75
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM

No she doesn't. Diane Ross has said no once. Tyler Perry needs to man up if he can and accept that her no means no.

Roberta

jillfoster
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
According to Essence, she did say no. But he won't take no for an answer. It seems that once she makes up her mind, she sticks to it. I don't think anyone else is calling her to star in a film either. But sometimes, no is no and there is no need for further discussion.

“...She’s been ignoring me for years,” Perry told Essence.com while promoting his latest movie, Madea’s Witness Protection. “She’s the only person that I have dreamed of working with that will not return my phone calls.”

And just because she said no the first time, when a prestigious director such as Tyler Perry calls back, it's certainly not to "nag" Diana Ross... it would be to SWEETEN THE OFFER. So the professional thing to do would be to call him back and hear him out. If spending 5 minutes on the telephone is too much for her to handle, then she needs to get a grip. Only after her unprofessional behaviour did he call her out in a public interview.

smark21
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Tyler Perry is not a prestigious director. His movies may make money, but he’s not a prestigious director from an artistic standpoint.

jobeterob
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Ty needs to keep going back until she says yes. That's the game here.

luke
07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Well said jill. He is a highly respected person and professional. He is one of a very few directors/writers who movies are consistently successful. I juist dont understand this negativity about him.

David J
07-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh, so now "Diana Ross Hates Tyler Perry"???????? talk about twisting the story, just because Diana has said no doesn't mean she hates Perry, that's how lie/ rumour spreads and some stories get out of hand.

Motown4Ever518
07-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Ms. Foster, as a person who thinks he has a sense of humor,[[however my wife reminds me that in 20 years of doing our taxes, I have never put down comedian as my occupation), I truly did LOL, Thank you.

As someone who who has been in sales/marketing for many years, the one thing I do know is that when one is trying to "sell" something, people are going to do that which makes sense to them. And nothing will change unless the person you are "selling" wants to do it, and in this case going public trying embarass the potential "client", will most definitely, not bring about the desired results.

Mr. Perry, I pray is better than this, I for one think he is. He has taken a concept, refined it over the years and turned Madea into an iconic brand, I tip my hat to him. He has moved into more serious subject matter, and has done a commendable job of providing opportunities for professionals in the film industry that are of color. And it is my hope that he has in him, or will have in him a cinematic masterpiece. What I hope is that this does not intensify into a throw away one liner in a Madea movie, allowing to the power of the pen. If I may quote REDHOT, "please stay positive".

Penny
07-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Oh, so now "Diana Ross Hates Tyler Perry"???????? talk about twisting the story, just because Diana has said no doesn't mean she hates Perry, that's how lie/ rumour spreads and some stories get out of hand.

David J, you will get along better here if you just accept the fact that Diana Ross hates everybody.

Penny:o
Your Red, White and Blue AVON Rep.

Roberta75
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
David J, you will get along better here if you just accept the fact that Diana Ross hates everybody.

LOL you always put a funny spin on things dear Penny.

Have a wonderful 4th my red, white and blue kind and generous friend.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

David J
07-05-2012, 09:41 AM

:D:D:D I hear you and thanks for bringing a bit of sense of humour to this thread.

juicefree20
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM
For what it's worth, I saw the latest ''Madea'' movie yesterday & it was funny.

marybrewster
07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
All this talk of drag queens made me rush right over to the Lipstick Alley forum to see exactly what I have been missing. Honey, there is a topic forum called "This Alley Life!: Off topic general, "what brand of makeup do ya'll use", "what's for dinner", "my boyfriend is having children with his brother's sister in law", "why don't black men date black women", "ya'lls a bunch a thirsty ho's" threads." I don't know ANY drag queens that talk like this. Diana Ross should be embarassed that her good name is associated with something so tacky. I did scour the threads, however, to see if Martha Reeves was mentioned.

marv2
07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
And just because she said no the first time, when a prestigious director such as Tyler Perry calls back, it's certainly not to "nag" Diana Ross... it would be to SWEETEN THE OFFER. So the professional thing to do would be to call him back and hear him out. If spending 5 minutes on the telephone is too much for her to handle, then she needs to get a grip. Only after her unprofessional behaviour did he call her out in a public interview.

I remember Diana Ross sitting up on national television and I believe it was with Barbara Walters [[or Oprah Winfrey) back in 2000 and complaining about calling Mary Wilson in Nov. 1999. She then called again at "Christmas time" and there was no return phone call from Mary.......yada, yada!

jobeterob
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Now, there's another phone call somebody wishes they'd returned!

Perhaps if it had, we wouldn't have all these tribute groups and "spin off" groups working.

I dont understand why the spin off group is the group on tour in England instead of Mary Wilson or the FLOS.

And Tyler should keep phoning Diana; she'll come on board one day.

milven
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
This story made it into the ENQUIRER with the headline WHY DIANA ROSS HATES TYLER PERRY'S GUTS!! Of course, this is the Enquirer and I am sure she does not hate his guts, maybe just his MADEA movies. His Madea movies will never win an academy award and I do think many of his characters are stereotypical. [[He has a cable tv show that I watched a few times that is kinda stereotypical too. But he doesn't want her for a Madea movie. She, or her people, should at least listen to what he is offering and then say yes or no. I did see a movie by him without Madea and it was pretty good.

Published on: July 5, 2012
by PATRICIA SHIPP. NATIONAL ENQUIRER
DIANA ROSS hates Tyler Perry – she considers his “Madea” money making machine “lowbrow” and WORSE!

The 68-year-old Mo*town icon has flatly refused repeated requests to co-star with the “House of Payne” creator because she regards his body of work as too low*brow, say insiders.

“Diana feels Tyler’s mov*ies, TV shows and especially his main character ‘Madea’ have no substance,” an insider told The ENQUIRER.

The acclaimed actor/director/ producer has been trying to work with his idol Diana for years, “but she refuses to even discuss the prospect with him,” according to the insider.

The 42-year-old creative ge*nius is devastated by Diana’s slap in the face and told a reporter: “She’s the only person that I have dreamed of working with that will not return my phone calls.”

Tyler found out that the for*mer lead singer of The Supremes thinks his plays, movies and TV shows exploit African-American stereotypes, said the source.

“Diana is all about her enter*tainment legacy,” the insider ex*plained.

“The last thing she wants is to co-star in a cheesy comedy starring a black man in a fat suit playing a half-cocked, angry old woman waving a gun.

skooldem1
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Diana listened. Diana said NO. No means No. I find it par for the course that many here jump right past the part where he admitted that they did talk. No, they jump right to the "diana is ignoring me" part- because it fits in their message board agendas.

jobeterob
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I still think she should listen further, when she has time. She is right to avoid anything stereotypical.

But one response I have to this is...........if legacy matters, Double Platinum wasn't a good end; I'm sure a good Tyler Perry movie without Madea is possible.

reese
07-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't understand the fascination with this. Surely Diana isn't the only actress to turn down a film, for whatever reason.

She has said that she's not interested in making more movies. If so, great. If she changes her mind, that's great as well. But she has already said no to Tyler, so he should move on. I don't think talking about it in the press is going to endear him to her. And now it has made it's way to the Enquirer. I'm sure she'll really want to work with him now.

smark21
07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Maybe Diana Ross hates Tyler Perry because he named his House of Payne show after Scherrie Payne? Perhaps she would return his call if he had named his show House of Ross? Divas have egos.

marv2
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Now, there's another phone call somebody wishes they'd returned!

Perhaps if it had, we wouldn't have all these tribute groups and "spin off" groups working.

I dont understand why the spin off group is the group on tour in England instead of Mary Wilson or the FLOS.

And Tyler should keep phoning Diana; she'll come on board one day.

Again, are you serious? I think after the smoke has been cleared now some 12 years later, it is Diana Ross that wished that she had met with Mary and maybe her tour wouldn't gotten cancelled! Let's not even go there........

Regarding Mary and t he U.K., were you asleep all last year? I seem to recall you posting on this board regularly then, but since you seem to can't remember, Mary did something like 50 or more concerts in the U.K. last year on 2 separate tours. In my opinion, that is enough for a while in the U.K. Diana Ross needs to tour there as it has been a long while for her. I don't know anything about what the FLOS are doing. Do they still tour?

I don't think Tyler Perry should keep phoning Diana Ross. It's not like she is a for sure box office draw; she hasn't made a theatrically released film in over 30 years.

jobeterob
07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I would definitely flip the House of Payne to Diana's House or perhaps The House of Miss Ross. Ty's gotta work this one.

jobeterob
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
TaleTelaHomeNewsPhotosCelebritiesStyleMoviesTVMusi cTicketsWin Jay-Z Expresses Support For Frank Ocean Over Sexuality
Share Diana Ross Slams Tyler Perry's Madea Movies For Black StereotypeNot classy enough?
By Alicia Adejobi on Friday 6th July 2012 Photo by Apega/WENN.com

Share3
Diana Ross has snubbed appearing in Tyler Perry's movies as he believes they lack substance.

Richest man in entertainment, Tyler, revealed last month that he had tried to contact Diana several times over the years but she has ignored his calls. According to RhymesWithSnitch, Diana believes Tyler's movies, in particular the Madea franchise, lack in substance and their characters have no depth.

Diana reportedly fears working with Tyler could damage her legacy and doesn't want to be associated with stereotyping black people.

"The last thing she wants is to co-star in a cheesy comedy starring a black man in a fat suit playing a half-cocked, angry old woman waving a gun," a source said.

Do you agree with Diana's supposed views on Tyler's movies?

marv2
07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
TaleTelaHomeNewsPhotosCelebritiesStyleMoviesTVMusi cTicketsWin Jay-Z Expresses Support For Frank Ocean Over Sexuality
Share Diana Ross Slams Tyler Perry's Madea Movies For Black StereotypeNot classy enough?
By Alicia Adejobi on Friday 6th July 2012 Photo by Apega/WENN.com

Share3
Diana Ross has snubbed appearing in Tyler Perry's movies as he believes they lack substance.

Richest man in entertainment, Tyler, revealed last month that he had tried to contact Diana several times over the years but she has ignored his calls. According to RhymesWithSnitch, Diana believes Tyler's movies, in particular the Madea franchise, lack in substance and their characters have no depth.

Diana reportedly fears working with Tyler could damage her legacy and doesn't want to be associated with stereotyping black people.

"The last thing she wants is to co-star in a cheesy comedy starring a black man in a fat suit playing a half-cocked, angry old woman waving a gun," a source said.

Do you agree with Diana's supposed views on Tyler's movies?

So Tyler Perry is the richest man in entertainment. I knew he was a huge success. What? Is she crazy? She'd better get on the phone with Mr. Perry and apologize profusely!!!! LOL!

jillfoster
07-07-2012, 01:57 AM
So Tyler Perry is the richest man in entertainment. I knew he was a huge success. What? Is she crazy? She'd better get on the phone with Mr. Perry and apologize profusely!!!! LOL!

Oh, Marv... you know she don't want to be associated with black people! She's above all that. Why do you think she had to be dragged kicking and screaming to Don Cornelius' doorstep. And then she finally agrees to sing on his show when he devotes and entire show to the worship of her golden calf. Get with it, why do you think she only dates and marries white men since 1971? And you all are right... appearing in one of Tyler's movies would tarnish her legacy, she wants to be remembered for staggering around drunk in a blockbuster parking lot and fondling Lil Kim's tits in front of 10,000 people.

marv2
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Oh, Marv... you know she don't want to be associated with black people! She's above all that. Why do you think she had to be dragged kicking and screaming to Don Cornelius' doorstep. And then she finally agrees to sing on his show when he devotes and entire show to the worship of her golden calf. Get with it, why do you think she only dates and marries white men since 1971? And you all are right... appearing in one of Tyler's movies would tarnish her legacy, she wants to be remembered for staggering around drunk in a blockbuster parking lot and fondling Lil Kim's tits in front of 10,000 people.

I cannot argue with a thing you just said. If Miss Ross was truly concerned about her entertainment legacy, there would have been a proper Supremes Reunion by now. Also, she would have stopped releasing those lame albums/CD's somewhere back in the early 90's. She is clearly trippin'.

marv2
07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
“The last thing she wants is to co-star in a cheesy comedy starring a black man in a fat suit playing a half-cocked, angry old woman waving a gun.
[/COLOR][/B]

...and Rupaul doesn't? [[a man dressing up as a woman?) Yet Diane went and did a full video with him, invited him on as a guest on her VH-1 Special. She is so full of something that rhymes with HIT that I completely understand why she is so disliked! Hypocrite!

luke
07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Whats wrong with you people--his moives have all those cheesy actors like Angela Basset, Blair Underwood, Lynn Whitfield...

jillfoster
07-14-2012, 09:46 PM
And Luke.... don't forget that his movies also have that tacky old crone Cicely Tyson, everyone knows she's low class.

luke
07-14-2012, 10:45 PM
lol--isnt she that heifer nominated for that silly old Oscar for Sounder?And won an Emmy for that cheesy Miss Jane Pittman thing??

marv2
07-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Whats wrong with you people--his moives have all those cheesy actors like Angela Basset, Blair Underwood, Lynn Whitfield...

Add Cicely Tyson to that list! She is far more revered and respected as an actress than Diane.

Heck, although I loved his work and was a big fan, didn't Ross star in two films with Richard Pryor?

Didn't her mentor, one time boyfriend and father of her child, Berry Gordy produced a film called "Bingo Long and his Traveling Allstars"? That film was full of blatant stereotypes!

There is something else at work here and I am pretty sure it is going to come out sooner or later........

marv2
07-14-2012, 11:04 PM
And Luke.... don't forget that his movies also have that tacky old crone Cicely Tyson, everyone knows she's low class.

BAM! Now there ya go!

marv2
07-14-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't know a lot about Tyler Perry. I do understand that he came up hard, just like Miss Ross. I also heard that at one point he was homeless and sleeping in his car.

I had the chance to hear him speak at the funeral services for Whitney Houston and I was quite impressed as I am sure all who were in attendance or watched on television were. His films may not all be that deep, but is anyone going to argue that "Mahogany" or "The Wiz" were deep? HA!

Jimi LaLumia
07-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Cicely Tyson can't tour for years at a time, anywhere in the world,bringing home the bacon... and at her age, not exactly at the top of Hollywood's want list..I'm sure the esteemed Ms. Tyson needs the $$$$ just a little bit more than Miss Ross does...lol..

simplysupreme
07-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Jimi, none of these people have a clue. Particularly the one who seems to think there's something wrong with who Diana chooses to date. Kinda ironic, considering the one who brought it up is a white man who spends loads of time up in the personal business of black women.

marv2
07-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Cicely Tyson can't tour for years at a time, anywhere in the world,bringing home the bacon... and at her age, not exactly at the top of Hollywood's want list..I'm sure the esteemed Ms. Tyson needs the $$$$ just a little bit more than Miss Ross does...lol..

...and Diane doesn't need the $$$$? Then what was she doing fooling around with Bernie Madoff? She has gone on the Oprah Winfrey Show several times to promote one thing or another [[i.e. CD's, books, concert tours, etc.) and each time she has failed[[which I find remarkable because Oprah has the reputation of being able to influence large segments of the population to buy whatever she decides to endorse). In the case of Miss Ross, it was an impossible task. I am sure Oprah was more than a bit miffed that everything Diane went on her show to promote bombed miserably. Maybe Tyler Perry doesn't care that she may be certain box office poison. Maybe Diane knows that and just can't handle another very public failure.

luke
07-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Ross can be a very talented actress--Lady Sings the Blues,Out of Darkness. So why doesn't she act?

smark21
07-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Po' Pitiful Pathetic Broke Ass Diana Ross.

jobeterob
07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
She doesn't act because she doesn't want to do it anymore. Her public and Tyler Perry don't care though; they want her to act.

Obviously, before her passing, Whitney Houston had accepted she wasn't going to sing up to par anymore and had gone back to acting.

Hopefully, one day Diana will give the acting one more go.

This sure attracted a lot of media attention.

marv2
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
She doesn't act because she doesn't want to do it anymore. Her public and Tyler Perry don't care though; they want her to act.

Obviously, before her passing, Whitney Houston had accepted she wasn't going to sing up to par anymore and had gone back to acting.

Hopefully, one day Diana will give the acting one more go.

This sure attracted a lot of media attention.

Her career is over.