PDA

View Full Version : Another Rolling Stone Magazine 50 Greatest List

test

thommg
06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Rolling Stone has a Women Who Rock: The 50 Greatest Albums of All Time list. It seems a little slanted to all types of music and not just rock - Aretha's I Never Loved A Man LP is #1. But coming in at #9 is The Supremes Anthology.

"If any group ever sounded like clothes, it was the Supremes: three ghetto-fabulous Motown singers fluttering queen-size eyelashes and teetering on their heels as they sang of love and its torments.

Essential moment: The sighing and crying of "Come See About Me."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/women-who-rock-the-50-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120622/the-supremes-anthology-19691231#ixzz1yXtecsfg

RossHolloway
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I stopped reading after the description of ghetto fabulous.

jobeterob
06-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the list.

Their website sure sucks; it's kind of like a website you'd expect from the GOP or Time Magazine and that is exactly what RS has become to music.

But the list is not bad......it covers everyone. And who says there is not enough respect paid to Ross and the Supremes.

But Gladys Knight was missing from this list. And RS is a little bit too predictable with Aretha Franklin; they are scared of her ~ she'll throw a fit if she isn't in a fitting spot.

detmotownguy
06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Rolling Stone has a Women Who Rock: The 50 Greatest Albums of All Time list. It seems a little slanted to all types of music and not just rock - Aretha's I Never Loved A Man LP is #1. But coming in at #9 is The Supremes Anthology.

"If any group ever sounded like clothes, it was the Supremes: three ghetto-fabulous Motown singers fluttering queen-size eyelashes and teetering on their heels as they sang of love and its torments.

Essential moment: The sighing and crying of "Come See About Me."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/women-who-rock-the-50-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120622/the-supremes-anthology-19691231#ixzz1yXtecsfg

Not sure I care for their description of The Supremes. A comment on their flawless performances and talent would have been nice to complement their #9 slot. The ghetto reference is not appropriate as I believe Ms. Wilson explained as a myth in her first book.

ejluther
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
"Ghetto fabulous" doesn't bother me because, based on today's lingo, it's meant as a high compliment and a lot of the descriptions seem to be on the same "sassy" wavelength. And didn't Motown itself perpetuate the "ghetto" image in the early days? Or was that all outside the company? Regardless, I'm surprised Diana didn't get a solo name-check while they were at it - two birds with one stone and all that...

smark21
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I’m not a big fan of greatest album lists that include Greatest Hits collections.

jobeterob
06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey guys! Rolling Stone has released a list! Can you believe it???

Today's list, courtesy of the people who make lists, is "Women Who Rock: The 50 Greatest Albums of All Time."

Who tops it? Aretha Franklin. This should come as no surprise. The mag also named her its greatest vocalist of all time back when it made a list of great vocalists.

Aretha, 70, lands at No. 1 with her 1967 album I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You. That's followed by Joni Mitchell's 1971 classic, Blue, then Dusty Springfield's 1969 album Dusty In Memphis. Rounding out the top five are Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Patti Smith's Horses.

Also in the top ten are albums by Adele, Missy Elliot, Blondie, Diana Ross & The Supremes and Bikini Kill.

The list is as arbitrary as any Rolling Stone list - with the usual most typically respectable choices making the top spots - and they are obviously using the word "rock" loosely, as well as, you know, the word "women," since Fleetwood Mac has more male members than female ones.
I mean, please. If Dusty Springfield's album is such a masterpeice, then how come the only song on it that has any place in history is "Son of a Preacher Man," and then only largely thanks to Quentin Tarantino? Give me a break.

Janis Joplin doesn't even make the top ten? But hits No. 12 with Pearl?

And....LADY GAGA BEATS HER? Yes! Gaga's rushed and hackneyed Born This Way comes in number 11 [[look, I love Lady Gaga, but let's not be crazy here). And Hole's Live Through This doesn't get mentioned until No. 24. Pure insanity. That album should be in the top ten. Taylor Swift, probably the most overrated songwriter of the decade, is number 45 with Speak Now. At least Dolly Parton makes the list at No. 32, with 1975's The Best of Dolly Parton.

I don't know why I let them rile me up every time. I'm giving them exactly what they want! But it's all in good fun. You can't please everyone.

RS is also holding a contest for readers to vote on an up-and-coming female artist to appear on the back cover of an upcoming issue.

What do YOU think? Did Rolling Stone get it right?

Here’s the Top 20 of Rolling Stone’s List [[see the rest at Rolling Stone):

1) Aretha Franklin “I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You” [[1967)
2) Joni Mitchell “Blue” [[1971)
3) Dusty Springfield “Dusty In Memphis” [[1969)
4) Fleetwood Mac “Rumours” [[1977)
5) Patti Smith “Horses” [[1975)
6) Adele “21” [[2011)
7) Missy Elliott “Under Construction” [[2002)
8) Blondie “Parallel Lines” [[1978)
9) The Supremes “Anthology” [[2001)
10) Bikini Kill “The Singles” [[1998)
11) Lady Gaga “Born This Way” [[2011)
12) Janis Joplin “Pearl” [[1971)
13) Mary J. Blige “My Life” [[1994)
14) The Pretenders “The Pretenders” [[1980)
15) Patsy Cline “The Patsy Cline Collection” [[1991)
16) Labelle “Nightbirds” [[1874)
17) Sleater-Kinney “Call The Doctor” [[1996)
18) Madonna “Like a Prayer” [[1989)
19) Joan Jett “Bad Reputation” [[1981)
20) Etta James “At Last” [[1961)

Ngroove
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
"Anthology"??? Anthology is not an album, it is a greatest hits compilation!!!! Much too easy, since they have darn near everything!

Supremes-wise, I would say best representative, would be "Where Did Our Love Go"

thisoldheart
06-26-2012, 05:30 AM
I mean, please. If Dusty Springfield's album is such a masterpeice, then how come the only song on it that has any place in history is "Son of a Preacher Man," and then only largely thanks to Quentin Tarantino? Give me a break.
"dusty in memphis" has long been considered one of the greatest pop/blue-eyed soul albums of the pop era. every song is a finely crafted masterpiece, written by some of the greatest songwriter of its era, and sung by one the greatest voices in pop history.its reputation was established long before "pulp fiction".

carlo
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't think Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" album belongs in that list. It has a handful of great songs, but not a solid album by any means and definitely not a top album of all-time in my opinion.

woodward
06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey guys! Rolling Stone has released a list! Can you believe it???

Today's list, courtesy of the people who make lists, is "Women Who Rock: The 50 Greatest Albums of All Time."

Who tops it? Aretha Franklin. This should come as no surprise. The mag also named her its greatest vocalist of all time back when it made a list of great vocalists.

Aretha, 70, lands at No. 1 with her 1967 album I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You. That's followed by Joni Mitchell's 1971 classic, Blue, then Dusty Springfield's 1969 album Dusty In Memphis. Rounding out the top five are Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Patti Smith's Horses.

Also in the top ten are albums by Adele, Missy Elliot, Blondie, Diana Ross & The Supremes and Bikini Kill.

The list is as arbitrary as any Rolling Stone list - with the usual most typically respectable choices making the top spots - and they are obviously using the word "rock" loosely, as well as, you know, the word "women," since Fleetwood Mac has more male members than female ones.

Janis Joplin doesn't even make the top ten? But hits No. 12 with Pearl?

And....LADY GAGA BEATS HER? Yes! Gaga's rushed and hackneyed Born This Way comes in number 11 [[look, I love Lady Gaga, but let's not be crazy here). And Hole's Live Through This doesn't get mentioned until No. 24. Pure insanity. That album should be in the top ten. Taylor Swift, probably the most overrated songwriter of the decade, is number 45 with Speak Now. At least Dolly Parton makes the list at No. 32, with 1975's The Best of Dolly Parton.

I don't know why I let them rile me up every time. I'm giving them exactly what they want! But it's all in good fun. You can't please everyone.

RS is also holding a contest for readers to vote on an up-and-coming female artist to appear on the back cover of an upcoming issue.

What do YOU think? Did Rolling Stone get it right?

Here’s the Top 20 of Rolling Stone’s List [[see the rest at Rolling Stone):

1) Aretha Franklin “I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You” [[1967)
2) Joni Mitchell “Blue” [[1971)
3) Dusty Springfield “Dusty In Memphis” [[1969)
4) Fleetwood Mac “Rumours” [[1977)
5) Patti Smith “Horses” [[1975)
6) Adele “21” [[2011)
7) Missy Elliott “Under Construction” [[2002)
8) Blondie “Parallel Lines” [[1978)
9) The Supremes “Anthology” [[2001)
10) Bikini Kill “The Singles” [[1998)
11) Lady Gaga “Born This Way” [[2011)
12) Janis Joplin “Pearl” [[1971)
13) Mary J. Blige “My Life” [[1994)
14) The Pretenders “The Pretenders” [[1980)
15) Patsy Cline “The Patsy Cline Collection” [[1991)
16) Labelle “Nightbirds” [[1874)
17) Sleater-Kinney “Call The Doctor” [[1996)
18) Madonna “Like a Prayer” [[1989)
19) Joan Jett “Bad Reputation” [[1981)
20) Etta James “At Last” [[1961)

I guess that I must be living in space. To be perfectly honest, 10 of these top 20 artists I do not have an inkling of who or what they are. I probably have never heard any of them in my lifetime. Guess I'm stupid.

jobeterob
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I have never heard of two of the artists but I never heard of 9 of the albums.

And that was a newspaper article or magazine article that I reproduced, not my opinion.

I notice Tapestry is missing.