PDA

View Full Version : "Together" by Tierra ... re-make of Intruders hit

test

tsull1
06-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Just happened upon this on YouTube, boy I haven't heard this in awhile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD2WrG5723c&NR=1&feature=endscreen

I followed this up with the original by The Intruders [[one of my favorite groups) and I actually liked Tierra's version a bit better, perhaps because I heard Tierra's in the prime of my youth and The Intruder's version came across when I was in grade school and not listening much to the radio. Still, the song is so great that both versions are awesome!

Intruders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLN4K2c6Eqo&feature=related

Which one do you like better?

robb_k
06-21-2012, 06:03 AM

Intruders

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
My preference is for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe2utmfBRtc

manny
06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Whitout a doubt, the one by THE INTRUDERS. Anyway I have heard one by Joe Bataan and another by Three Degrees, both acceptables in feel... But, IMHO there are songs that seems to have been conceived specifically for a concrete artist, this is the case of Together and Little Sonny.

mr_june
06-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Whitout a doubt, the one by THE INTRUDERS. Anyway I have heard one by Joe Bataan and another by Three Degrees, both acceptables in feel... But, IMHO there are songs that seems to have been conceived specifically for a concrete artist, this is the case of Together and Little Sonny.

A big hello to my man Manny. I will listen to the LU version when I get home so I can turn it up a bit. I didn't know their version existed. I was on You Tube the other day and came across a Gladys Knight version of an Intruder's song but I didn't check it our right aways and then forgot to. Anyone know what Intruders song she covered? That happens a lot on You Tube and I have since started writing down the songs that I want to look up or else I'll forget them in the course of listening to other stuff.

soulster
06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I never cared for Tierra's version.

mr_june
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
I've heard Joe Bataan sing "Cowboys" To Girls" but not "Together." Another one to look up on You Tube.

reese
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
A big hello to my man Manny. I will listen to the LU version when I get home so I can turn it up a bit. I didn't know their version existed. I was on You Tube the other day and came across a Gladys Knight version of an Intruder's song but I didn't check it our right aways and then forgot to. Anyone know what Intruders song she covered? That happens a lot on You Tube and I have since started writing down the songs that I want to look up or else I'll forget them in the course of listening to other stuff.

Gladys and the guys did a remake of TOGETHER on their SILK 'N' SOUL album.

manny
06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I've heard Joe Bataan sing "Cowboys" To Girls" but not "Together." Another one to look up on You Tube.

Hi, dear Friend! I'm ashamed... Was some years ago when I explored many Joe Battan videos at Youtube and, in fact, he had covers of "Cowboys To Girls", "When We Get Married" and "Sad Girl" and in addition he got a way of singing - like crying in the same mould of Little Sonny that I was confused and don't well remember if also covered "Together" or not [[!?). The one by The Three Degres I have had in the "Take Good Care Of Yourself" album [[title of my copy, published in the UK, I think in the US was entitled "International).

A great salute to every one!

manny
06-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Changing a little the subject of this thread, recently I discovered a "remake" - "repsponse" to The Intruder's "I Wanna Know Your Name" by Sharon Paige on "You'll Never Know My Name". Precious voice as always and very mellow feel. Can be interesting a thread about songs that are covers or remakes / "responses" to other previous songs...

roger
06-22-2012, 06:27 AM
This is an interesting thread, as I don't think I've ever heard this version of "Together" by TIERRA before.

I see the song actually got to #18 on the "Billboard" hot 100 back in 1980 and on the R&B listings reached #9, but in Britain I don't recall it even getting issued .. there was a rather "discoey" version of "Cowboys To Girls" by PHILLY CREAM around at the same time that did get some interest here ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiFV3Z8iM8

With both "Together" and "Cowboys To Girls" I do prefer the original versions by THE INTRUDERS over all others .. but then they were a very special and unique sounding group.

It seems that TIERRA were a Latino/Hispanic/Chicano group from East Los Angeles so it looks to me that their INTRUDERS remake fits in with that whole Southern-Californian "Latin-Oldies" scene, that seems to also include a whole host of "Soul" releases from the '60s and '70s with L.A. based acts such as THE WHISPERS, THE YOUNGHEARTS and BRENTON WOOD being particularly revered.

Indeed the TIERRA track is included in a CD set called "Latin Oldies" ..

http://www.amazon.com/Latin-Oldies-Trilogy-Various-Artists/dp/tracks/B00000I0RY/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Roger

splanky
06-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't usually do "Who did it better?" threads but here I will say that for me the Intruders version is the definitive. Still,
I like Tierra's cover and it's obvious someone was a big Intruders fan, hence the Cowboys To Girls quotes at the bridge.
Manny, like a number of old forum members I wish still posted here, know I am a big fan of Latin soul. Tierra, who started
out way back in the 80's or maybe earlier, are apparently still in the game and have their own website. And yes, this is an interesting thread...

manny
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't usually do "Who did it better?" threads but here I will say that for me the Intruders version is the definitive. Still,
I like Tierra's cover and it's obvious someone was a big Intruders fan, hence the Cowboys To Girls quotes at the bridge.
Manny, like a number of old forum members I wish still posted here, know I am a big fan of Latin soul. Tierra, who started
out way back in the 80's or maybe earlier, are apparently still in the game and have their own website. And yes, this is an interesting thread...

Yes, "brotha", I know
There is "some years" discussing, among other infinite variety of threads, about Latin Soul and Latin Jazz and Brazilian,... about Azymuth, Manny Oquendo [[not related with me :D), Irakere, Eddie Palmieri, Fania All-Stars [[from with, recently a friend send me the album "Croos Over" ripped to mp3... produced by Vincent Montana!). In fact, as a Philly-obssesed and Chicago-obssesed as I am, is not casualty both symphonic soul styles have conspicuous latin elements, fom Ju-Par Universal to Salsoul orch. and from the Chi-lites to some PIR tracks [[as the boogaloo infected O'Jays "This Air I Breath")... Also Philly cream with Roger have posted, they have the "alter ego" of Ingram with some tracks on the "El Chicano" or "Cold Blood" style.

Cheers to all

daddyacey
06-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Well to me it's a matter of interpretation. The original will always stand on it's own. Anything after that is judged by it's interpretation of the original and if it was well done. TIERRA did a excellent version of a classic well written song ,just as Third World did the same with Now That We Found Love , another well written song. It's not a matter of "better than" ,it's more a matter of quality of the re interpretation that matters to me personally. That's like for example Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Ashford and Simpson. Marvin and Tammi's verson is not the same as Diana's ,yet both are excellent and indivdually unique. One is no better than the other IMO.

splanky
06-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Sometimes it can be more about bringing a composition to a different audience,daddyacey. It's a very common thing
which your example of Now That We Found Love illustrates perfectly. It's like saying within your peer group, whatever that may be, "Yo, I know this is what we usually do but wait: Check this out...." Still, I can think of cases where covers
have surpassed originals, I mean almost nobody remembers or cites Billy Roberts' Hey Joe after Jimi Hendrix got a hold of
it and Billy wrote the dang song!:)...
manny, I think you meant Sharon Paige's You Don't Even Know My Name. Great song and I wish there were more discussion of a lot of the things you mentioned. Not just here but on the web because so many things that I've wondered
about for years are left off of album credits,out of print literature and off of so called "ALL ABOUT" websites. Prime
example as far as Latin Soul: who are the female singers on Hector Rivera's I Want You I Need You I Love You? I have
the album on vinyl, it was a BIG hit on both sides of the street and yet after more than 35 years nobody can tell me
who those girls were....